Trek Remedy 8 29 29er Full Suspension

Features:
-29er-optimized frame delivers a fast, stable ride
-ABP keeps your suspension active while you’re on the brakes
-DRCV shock gives you smooth, predictable all-terrain control
-G2: a better-handling 29er

Frameset:
Frame Alpha Platinum Aluminum, ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, internal derailleur & dropper post routing, press fit BB, ISCG 05 mount, magnesium EVO Link, Mino Link, down tube guard, G2 Geometry, 140mm travel

Front suspension:
Fox Evolution Series 34 Float w/CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, E2 tapered steerer, 15QR thru axle, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 140mm travel

Rear suspension:
Fox Evolution Series Float w/DRCV, CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, tuned by Trek in California, 7.75×2.125"

Submitted by p2rider426 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2013

Strengths:    Brakes, drivetrain, rear suspension, cable routing/options are all top notch. First MTB with a Shimano spec and LOVING it. DRCV + ABP is incredible. No unwanted bob, plush yet a good pedaling platform. It handles surprisingly GREAT in the air for being a long 29er. Doesn't climb quite like an XC race rocket, but is capable of cleaning some very technical slopes if you're really active in the saddle. Plenty light enough for how capable of an AM rig the bike is. Looks goofy in most stock pictures, but me and most people I've talked to think it looks kick @ss in person. Fork and entire chassis are stiff and responsive. Geometry feels great for technical descents and really confidence inspiring for high-speed singletrack blitzing. Bars are stiff and wide. Wheels and tires work OK together tubeless.

Weaknesses:    Not crazy on the stock cockpit. Grips are a little harsh on my hands and lockrings never did fit right. Saddle looks great on the bike but really isn't comfortable for me or anyone else who has ridden it for an extended period. Tires are pretty bad for anything other than hardpack dirt. Wheels came pretty out of true straight from trek, but felt pretty stiff with no pesky pinging that Bontrager wheels are known for. They were pretty stiff laterally but now after a dozen fairly hard rides I have a significant wobble in the rear wheel again. Bike geo feels dialed in the air and on all sorts of singletrack but really isn't adept at drifting around bike park berms or manuals. Which isn't a huge drawback since I didn't buy the bike for bike parks. Fork felt like crap out of the box. Dove like crazy under braking, would pack up under braking bumps and feel very harsh no matter how the rebound was set. It would blow through its travel on ~3' drops to even with <10% sag dialed in. Climb mode would sometimes not engage until several full cycles of the fork. Descend mode was worthless because it could be bottomed just by bunny-hopping.

Bottom Line:
After many emails with Trek, they told me that if I'm unhappy with how it performs I have to go through Fox to get it fixed. I sent several emails to Fox over the course of a week with no replies, so I asked if my LBS that I purchased the bike from give them a call for me. The mechanic told the Fox tech about all the bottoming and dive problems and the tech replied with "Well some people like dive, the 2013 tune is fine". The shop mechanic told the Fox tech on the other end several times it was an Evolution series fork off a new Remedy 8 29 to which he replied with "well most people like the 2013 tune, but you could send it in and for $60 you can get the 2014 FIT damper installed which has more compression dampening". I sent in the fork and received a call the following week from my LBS saying that Fox cannot perform the upgrade because it's the open bath damper design and swapping out the internals would actually be $250 instead of the original $60. Naturally I was pissed and immediately started chewing out the Fox rep on the phone. He was blowing me off until I told him "If I would have known that I would be without a bike for 2 weeks only to get the same crappy fork back I would have just bought a Pike". The finally got his attention and after that he put me on with his supervisor who called my LBS and told them that it would be $75 to get the 2014 FIT damper installed to which I begrudgingly accepted. Once I got the fork back I was pleasantly surprised with how GOOD it was. It's everything I ever wanted out of a fork. Rides high in it's travel, is plush on small bumps, and progressive on big hits. Finally I could let it rip- and man does it rip! This bike feels like it was made for places like Downieville and Demo. I can't imagine having more fun on another bike flying down Braille or the Downieville downhill course. Overall this is a kickass AM ride that will not disappoint once the fork is dialed in and some meatier tires are mounted. Next on my list is a dropper, which will almost certainly put this bike on a whole new level.

Favorite Trail:   Braille and Downieville DH!

Purchased At:   Livermore Cyclery

2014 Remedy 8 29 Ongoing REVIEW.

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/09/ga8u2u3a.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/09/y4uduha6.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/09/ata2apy8.jpg[/IMG]So, got a Remedy 8 29. Swapping to xtr/xt . Pike in the near future, my Revelation 140 for now. Including headset, rearaxl ... Read More »