Trek Remedy 29 29er Full Suspension

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Features:
-29er-optimized frame delivers a fast, stable ride
-ABP keeps your suspension active while you’re on the brakes
-DRCV shock gives you smooth, predictable all-terrain control
-G2: a better-handling 29er

Frameset: Frame Alpha Platinum Aluminum, ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, internal derailleur & dropper post routing, press fit BB, ISCG 05 mount, magnesium EVO Link, Mino Link, down tube guard, G2 Geometry, 140mm travel

Front suspension RockShox Revelation RL w/Solo Air, Motion Control DNA damper, lockout, rebound, E2 tapered steerer, 15mm Maxle Lite, custom G2 geometry w/51mm offset, 140mm travel

Rear suspension Fox Evolution Series Float w/DRCV, CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, tuned by Trek in California, 7.75×2.125"

Submitted by Morgan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2014

Strengths:    This bike is a real jack of all trades. I am able to go fast on XC and downhill is doable as well. I am surprised that the bontrager wheels and tires get a bad rap, mine have been nothing but awesome (set up tubeless btw). The Fox CTD fork and shock are both quite tunable and the reverb stealth dropper seatpost is a must have. Full XT makes the shifting a blast.

Weaknesses:    As expected, the bike is a bit over 30 pounds, so not the lightest 29er out there, but well worth the weight. Also, make sure to keep your mino links tight, because one of my links fell off recently, and I was lucky to not damage anything before I noticed.

Bottom Line:
A very capable bike at a great price for the value. The 29er wheels really do bomb over everything and all the features should make this one of the top 3 bikes for the under $5000 pricepoint.

Duration Product Used:   Since August 2013

Deore XT Trail Pedals
45NRTH Platform Pedals

Submitted by Ogden UT

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2014

Strengths:    29er wheels, ABP, breaks, handle bar width, not bad weight for a 29er, climbs great, and many more

Weaknesses:    Wheels are a little heavy, seat takes a lot of getting used to,

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for about 6 months now and it is my first brand new bike and my first 29er so I am still getting used to how it rides. I have ridden every kind of trail you can think of including snow and so far I love the bike. It climbs like a champ and has actually done great in the technical spots. I am excited to hit up moab and see how it does on some steeper technical trails but so far it has been amazing on your slightly above average trails. It rolls over every thing and I took it off an 8ft drop and it held up awesome. The suspension has been amazing. I can feel the ABP go to work which I didnt think I would notice. I am an intermediate level rider and this bike has helped push my skill level. You can get up to big speeds and feel really secure on this bike. My hanger did break going down a rocky trail but that happens. I will eventually upgrade to lighter tires, going from a 26 to a 29 I was surprised at how much heavier the front felt at first, and I was on a 37lb kona before. Overall I am excited about this bike.

Submitted by Gabriel

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2014

Strengths:    smooth ABP full floater suspension, Flickable design, Rides like a 26" bike, Adjustable rear suspension, great spec from the factory

Weaknesses:    a tad heavy
the touting of the rear derailleur cable rubs when the bike is down in the travel

Bottom Line:
I sold my 2011 Trek Rumblefish to ride this baby. I loved my Rumblefish but felt I needed a bit more travel for my riding style. This is definitely a big step up! The bike corners like a 26" wheeled bike but plows over rocks like a 29" bike. The suspension feels bottomless! I would bottom out the RF on a regular basis but never on this bike. Even with a 1/2lb more weight I got faster on my climbs! The ability to change the height of the BB and head angle with two screws is amazing and the difference can actually be felt. Not to mention the fox suspension climb, trail, descend modes on the front and rear. The combo's are endless however I tend to ride most trails in trail mode.
I was hesitant on the RockShox dropper post but am very happy with the adjustable speed on the switch.
I immediately swapped the heavy stock wheels for a sweet set of industry nine custom wheels and swapped the cross country style bar for an Easton Havoc carbon bar to control the fast moving 29" wheels. I also swapped the XT cranks and rear derailleur for an XTR set to lower weight. With my current build it weighs 31lbs.
It may not be the lightest steed out there but I couldnt be more confident to tackle any trail I ride. By far the nicest Enduro style rig I have ridden.

Submitted by Paul a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent handling characteristics. The fork rides high in its travel until its needed, with minimal brake dive. When the shock is in descend mode, its small bump sensitivity is excellent. When the fork and shock are in climb mode, they're almost locked out. This makes out of the saddle climbing far more palatable. The XT brakes (my LBS swapped the front rotor for a 203 mm) require only one finger, regardless of the situation. As for suspension design, Specialized's Horst link used to be the bench mark, but Trek's ABP is now the holy grail.

I love the polished finish. It's reminiscent of the high-end bikes of the early '90s. The bike is also quiet. No creaks, squeaks, or chain slap. Just the sound of knobbies clawing at the trail.

Weaknesses:    In my opinion, the weaknesses are mostly issues of personal preference. The stock grips were too skinny. My LBS swapped them out for Oury lock-on grips. My butt still isn't crazy about the stock saddle. I actually suspect it's too squishy, which seems to allow the sit bones to roll off the back or side. Another issue is the cable routing around the head tube. It's a bird's nest that catches your knees when climbing out of the saddle; however, a couple well placed zip-ties solved this issue.

Bottom Line:
Coming from an XC racing background, this is my first venture into all mountain riding. I used to scoff at people who rode 30 lb bikes with dropper posts. But now I've "drank the Kool-Aid", and it's good. My 22 lb. race bike now sits in the garage, collecting dust.

This is my first bike where picking a line wasn't really necessary. It'll plow over or through just about anything. In the end, I have a huge smile on my face. How could I not give it five stars?

Favorite Trail:   Exploration Trail

Duration Product Used:   One month.

Submitted by p2rider426 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2013

Strengths:    Brakes, drivetrain, rear suspension, cable routing/options are all top notch. First MTB with a Shimano spec and LOVING it. DRCV + ABP is incredible. No unwanted bob, plush yet a good pedaling platform. It handles surprisingly GREAT in the air for being a long 29er. Doesn't climb quite like an XC race rocket, but is capable of cleaning some very technical slopes if you're really active in the saddle. Plenty light enough for how capable of an AM rig the bike is. Looks goofy in most stock pictures, but me and most people I've talked to think it looks kick @ss in person. Fork and entire chassis are stiff and responsive. Geometry feels great for technical descents and really confidence inspiring for high-speed singletrack blitzing. Bars are stiff and wide. Wheels and tires work OK together tubeless.

Weaknesses:    Not crazy on the stock cockpit. Grips are a little harsh on my hands and lockrings never did fit right. Saddle looks great on the bike but really isn't comfortable for me or anyone else who has ridden it for an extended period. Tires are pretty bad for anything other than hardpack dirt. Wheels came pretty out of true straight from trek, but felt pretty stiff with no pesky pinging that Bontrager wheels are known for. They were pretty stiff laterally but now after a dozen fairly hard rides I have a significant wobble in the rear wheel again. Bike geo feels dialed in the air and on all sorts of singletrack but really isn't adept at drifting around bike park berms or manuals. Which isn't a huge drawback since I didn't buy the bike for bike parks. Fork felt like crap out of the box. Dove like crazy under braking, would pack up under braking bumps and feel very harsh no matter how the rebound was set. It would blow through its travel on ~3' drops to even with <10% sag dialed in. Climb mode would sometimes not engage until several full cycles of the fork. Descend mode was worthless because it could be bottomed just by bunny-hopping.

Bottom Line:
After many emails with Trek, they told me that if I'm unhappy with how it performs I have to go through Fox to get it fixed. I sent several emails to Fox over the course of a week with no replies, so I asked if my LBS that I purchased the bike from give them a call for me. The mechanic told the Fox tech about all the bottoming and dive problems and the tech replied with "Well some people like dive, the 2013 tune is fine". The shop mechanic told the Fox tech on the other end several times it was an Evolution series fork off a new Remedy 8 29 to which he replied with "well most people like the 2013 tune, but you could send it in and for $60 you can get the 2014 FIT damper installed which has more compression dampening". I sent in the fork and received a call the following week from my LBS saying that Fox cannot perform the upgrade because it's the open bath damper design and swapping out the internals would actually be $250 instead of the original $60. Naturally I was pissed and immediately started chewing out the Fox rep on the phone. He was blowing me off until I told him "If I would have known that I would be without a bike for 2 weeks only to get the same crappy fork back I would have just bought a Pike". The finally got his attention and after that he put me on with his supervisor who called my LBS and told them that it would be $75 to get the 2014 FIT damper installed to which I begrudgingly accepted. Once I got the fork back I was pleasantly surprised with how GOOD it was. It's everything I ever wanted out of a fork. Rides high in it's travel, is plush on small bumps, and progressive on big hits. Finally I could let it rip- and man does it rip! This bike feels like it was made for places like Downieville and Demo. I can't imagine having more fun on another bike flying down Braille or the Downieville downhill course. Overall this is a kickass AM ride that will not disappoint once the fork is dialed in and some meatier tires are mounted. Next on my list is a dropper, which will almost certainly put this bike on a whole new level.

Favorite Trail:   Braille and Downieville DH!

Purchased At:   Livermore Cyclery

Remedy 29" 2015 - Double Chainset Crankset, Is it posible?

In the 2015 Remedy 29", either 9 or 9.8 have the new Boost148 and they have a special spider in the crankset to to set the chainring 3 mm further from the frame. Question: Would be posible and available a double chainset crankset for this bike? I dont like any of the 1x11 posibilities, I rather a 2 ... Read More »

2015 Trek Remedy 29 Size

Hi guys, I'm looking to get a 2015 Trek Remedy 9.8 29er this year. I was on the trek website comparing some geometries and noticed that the geometry and sizing for the new carbon frames (9.8 & 9.9) are different than the aluminum frame (9). The 2015 Remedy 9 sizing is similar to the 2014 Remedy ... Read More »

Which one -- Trek Remedy 8 vs. C'dale Scalpel 29 vs. Special'd SJumpFSR29

I'm a newbie at knowing which brands, and components offer the most bike for the money. Please give me your knowledge into which bike is the most quality. I know there are lots of other builders, too. Santa Cruz, Giant, Yeti, Marin, Salsa, to name a few. Warranty service should come into play. I've ... Read More »

2014 Trek Remedy 29 or 27.5

Okay, I am seriously considering the remedy 9 and will most likely buy one in the next week, however I am really unsure about which wheel size to get. I am 6'2 but am only 17 so will most likely still grow a bit. If anyone has had any saddle time in either of these bike could they please give me so ... Read More »

Remedy 29" Carbon?

I apologize if the question has been asked and answered but a quick scan of the Trek forum didn't turn up an answer. Is Trek planning on introducing a carbon Remedy 29" frame? I demo'ed a Remedy carbon 650b, carbon Fuel EX 29" and Al 29" Remedy and liked the 29" Remedy best but would prefer a ca ... Read More »