Trek HiFi Pro 29er Full Suspension

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Ideal for racers, XC-oriented riders, endurance riders, or anyone looking for the fast, smooth ride of a dialed full suspension 29er. Upgrades from HiFi Deluxe:
  • SRAM X.9/Shimano XT 3x10 drivetrain
  • Bontrager Race Lite 29 wheels
  • Fox RP23 with Race Tune Boost Valve
  • Avid Elixir R hydraulic disc brakes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ian

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2013

Strengths:    The bike handles like a champ through almost anything. The geometry is fabulous. The 29er rolls over terrain where the 26ers struggle. The momentum maintained through corners allows the rider to freewheel where 26ers are peddling hard.

Weaknesses:    The Bontrager RL wheels are a pain. It was very hard to get tires to bead properly after a puncture. Sometimes I needed over 90psi to bead them, even with soap or WD40 options. Not good in the field. Shifting is no longer accurate after two seasons (even when clean). I suspect the X9 shifter is worn.

Bottom Line:
    OK - I now love this bike. I switched the rims for Stans Arches and the tires are now Specialized Captains (2.2 front and 2.0 rear) in a tubeless setup with Stan's fluid. The X9 rear is not a good design. Rear shifter cable broke after one season at the point where the cable touches the X9 derailleur. I had to cushion the angle a little. I also switched out the front Crankset to SRAM with a minimum crank of 22 teeth rather than the stock 24. Much better on long grinding hills in CO.
    The suspension tends to click when dirty, which means frame near the bearings needs cleaning often to get the dust out.

Chain slap under the chain stay (even with the original crank) took the paint off very quickly. I had to protect this area to prevent the metal from being too badly damaged.

The Avid brakes, from factory, were not bled well. After re-bleeding with proper degassing, the breaks are awesome.

The bike handles very well and is a joy to ride, but the components are not perfect.

Submitted by RPedal a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2012

Strengths:    The rake and the rest of the geometry is perfect for our rocky, rutted & rootie rides in the midwest. Climbs like a scalded ape and has a really great feel for the trail. Very happy with the drive train spec.

Weaknesses:    Crappy brakes - I didn't realize the Elixers were so low end - buyer beware. Mine came with Racing Ralph tires because they were all out of the Bonti's at the factory. I was happy about that for about two weeks until I shredded both of them. Replaced. I have read a lot of complaints about the big sweep bar, I just took an inch and a half off of each end and I really like it. Bonti saddle did NOT fit me, that had to go. I'm very happy with the rest of the spec though.

Bottom Line:
    This bike has a very tight and precise feel for a 29er plushie. I used to race a lot but now I just focus on a few big events each year, like 70+ mile cross country races, and this is going to be just the ticket for that style of racing. I had an older Sugar 292 that I was really in love with but finally broke one of the carbon seat stays and sadly, had to shoot it. I didn't think I could be as happy with a different bike but this one is definitely a step up. It's a solid performer with some mediocre parts that could always be better, but hey, that's the fun part right? I had a set of SunRingle Charger Pro wheels that I had planned to put on it, but found that the Bonti Race Lite wheels were lighter and so far, solid as a rock, which is good because I am almost 200lb now and still pretty aggressive. I like the lockouts because I like to ride to the ride and it's a great looking bike to roll up on.

I suppose if I were still a real hammerhead, off-the-front racer I would think twice or plan to do some serious upgrades. But I am a busy guy who gets out on the trail a couple of times a week at best and this is a spectacular bike for me.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl

Purchased At:   Trek Store KC

Similar Products Used:   GF Sugar 292, Karate Monkey 29, GF XCalibre 29

Bike Setup:   With exception of the tires, seat and trimming the handlebars it's straight out of the factory.

Submitted by jparman a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2012

Strengths:    Susupension is very nice, both front and rear. Size 17.5 is perfect for my 5' 7" frame. Aside from the cassette, a solid drivetrain.

Weaknesses:    Handlebars were ridiculous, OEM brakes (kudos to Avid for replacing) were terrible (pad rub), Wheels, for a $3700 msrp bike were heavy, SLX cassette on a "pro" bike? Rings of cassette not on carrier cut into/ruined freehub body. Schwalbe RaRa's cut open (TLR converted) within 8 miles of maiden voyage, both ruined (kudos to Schwalbe for replacing on non-warranty issue). Would have been better w/ 2x10 -vs- 3x10. There is no "platform" with the pro-pedal on the RP23 regardless of setting. There used to be, however after a year the difference is not at all noticable. I also had a warranty claim on the bike w/ Trek, they handled it to my extreme satisfaction.

Bottom Line:
    Handling wise, the bike is brilliant. It did take me a bit to get used to it/set up to my preferences and now that it is, I find it to be an extremely enjoyable bike to ride. The front suspension is easy to set up and it is simple to set up the rear though depending on your local trails you may find that you wish to further dial it in. It is my feeling up here in the midwest that the BB is pretty low to begin with and w/ 25% sag, it gets quite a bit lower, especially in the rough.... though that is your penance for having a faster handling bike (which only you can decide what your are willing to and to not give up).
    I don't understand and continue to not understand the beach cruiser bars that the bike came set up with. To be honest, I didn't even give them a shot, their weight was a casualty of my effort to lighten the bike, which also included the wheels. I actually increased weight in the tires for something more resistant to cuts (lots of rocks up here).
    At the end of the day I highly recommend the bike I am riding now. I love my bike. There are many like it, but this one's mine... that being said, I cannot recommend the bike out of the box. If you want a "Pro" bike, there is just too much to do to it (or at least mine) in order to make it sensibly race/performance trail worthy. Wheels, Bars, Tires, and Brakes all add up to a healthy sum. Yes, no one made me upgrade the X9 to X0 but the rest are a necessity. $1100 additional out of pocket (MSRP) is what it takes to condition this rig, give or take. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have gotten a Salsa Spearfish 1 or a Niner Jet 9 in X9 or XT.

Bike Setup:   The only things stock on this bike are the suspension, stem and front derailleur :(

Submitted by Trailster a Cross Country Rider from Bonsack, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2011

Strengths:    With beautiful lines, the one and only year model of the Trek HiFi is a good looking thing. With a reasonably light frame, and tried and true Fox suspension front and rear, the HiFi can be upgraded into a raceably light contender. it really likes to roll fast, and when this happens, she rewards you with intuitive, predictable, on-a-rail handling. Climbing is good--not hardtail good on the steep-steeps--but with ProPedal enabled HiFi does just fine. I still dream of a proper lock out 3rd option to really stiffen the rear (the fork really, really locks tight like that). But that's a Fox concern, nothing to do with an outstanding bike.

Weaknesses:    Whack spec. I don't mind Bontrager parts, but Big Sweep bars? Really?! Gone, replaced with Monkey wide flat. 2100 gram wheels on a bike called pro? Really?! Stan's Arch shaves 300+ grams of inertia, really noticeable. Sram X-9 plasti-derailleur on a bike called "Pro?" Really?! Thankfully, this is balanced with proper Shimano XT cranks and front derailleur, but the SLX cassette had to go in favor of the much lighter XT version. The shop was great at swapping value-for-value on all components I had to buy for spec repair. Did not like the Jones tires at all either, even run in the mandatory (personally speaking) tubeless configuration. There's way better options out there,take your pick. The Avid brakes had to go. The new Shimano's are other-worldly, easily best in class.

Bottom Line:
    The long running Gary Fisher HiFi begat the 2011 Trek HiFi which begat 2012 Trek Superfly AL, making the Trek HiFi a one hit wonder. I'd collect this year's Superfly in a skinny minute, or a new one better yet. As good as the HiFi is, the Superfly brings a couple of cool refinements and vastly superior spec. The rear shock is slightly longer with a refined stroke that is less sproingy, silky smooth. Feels like it had a Push rebuild or something. You will make a great decision when you choose to buy one.

Favorite Trail:   Dody Ridge

Purchased At:   East Coasters

Similar Products Used:   Klein Palomino, Klein Adept, Rocky Mountain Speed, Titus Racer X.

Bike Setup:   Easton Wide Flat carbon bar. Shimano XT 785 brakes (yes!). Stan's Arch wheels. Thomson seatpost. Lizard Skin Moab grips. XTR pedals. XT cassette. 22 granny ring replaces the inexplicable 24 teeth latest standard. Tioga Psycho Genius tires, tubeless.

Submitted by parafly a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2011

Strengths:    The frame is superstiff, Active Suspension yet plush. Feels more trail oriented than race. Active Braking Pivot

Weaknesses:    Tuning RP23 shock is a little tricky, Shock needs to be sent back in and new compression valving for heavy riders or if you plan to ride really aggressive

Bottom Line:
    The bike was a warranty upgrade from a broken Paragon 29er frame. The frame is super stiff and the suspension is active. Fisher/Trek markets this as an aluminum superfly 100 but I would not say this is a race bike. It feels more trail/xc to light all mountain. Rear Travel is 110mm which equals out to 4.33 inches. I have no problem getting all the travel from this bike and never felt it bottom out. On the same token it feels snappy, fast and nimble. Its all like Trek wanted race like handling but trail all mountain plushness. The rear abp pivot is upgradable to 12mm thru axle to stiffen the package up a little more. I will visit this in the spring. For now I can say this is a capable climber that accelerates great and holds nothing back over medium technical terrain. I plan to get more rides and run another review soon

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Morraine, WI and Limeklin Brown County Indiana