Trek HiFi Plus 29er Full Suspension

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Ideal for racers, XC-oriented riders, endurance riders, or anyone looking for the fast, smooth ride of a dialed full suspension 29er.

Submitted by scott tracy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs like a goat. Decends like a raped ape. Turns like there's no tomorrow. Point and shoot very nimble through tight stuff.

Weaknesses:    Not enough time to ride due to working swing shift.

Bottom Line:
I must have gotten a bike built on a Wednesday. I've had no trouble and after 340 miles of hard ridding something should have broke. Got it at the end of march 2012 as a close out sale for 1600. I did switch the stem for 31mm to a 105mm. What a change that made for the better. The rear tire was changed to a continental mountain king then to a kenda nevgal. Never rode the stock rear. Its my first 29er and no going back. Got rid of 26er parts. The bike is for anyone wit beginer to emid level ridding experiance.

Favorite Trail:   imagination glen

Duration Product Used:   1 and a half year

Purchased At:   bike stop cycling mi

Bike Setup:   145psi both pos and neg on front fork and 240psi for the rear with pro pedal left on. Clip pedals. 35 psi in both tires.

Submitted by David Reynolds

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry and feel of the bike when climbing and decending

Weaknesses:    Everything except the frame and geometry

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for 6 months now and it is by far one of the worst bikes I've ever owned. The frame is great and the overall feel and ride of the bike is wonderful, but the parts spec is awful! The shifting is horrendous, the rear hub failed, the rear pivots are already sloppy, it's left me stranded more than I care to admit to and it's been in the shop getting fixed or repaired for almost 4 weeks of total time. The reason they make you get Trek Red Shield is because you'll have to have it or the repair bills will be so much you'll scrap it. I am getting rid of mine as soon as possible even if I have to take a huge loss. Save your money and buy a higher end model or just steer clear of Cheap Trek's because I've been happy with my Madone but this one was a train wreck!

Submitted by blawry a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    Great suspension. Good fit. Tight ride. Fast and responsive. Great value. Love the soft grips.

Bottom Line:
Ok - so take my opinion with a grain of salt...Riding this bike is a religious experience!! I came from a 1990 rigid Giant atx780 all XT- which I loved, My LBS promised me that the new components are so advanced I would not miss my XT - they were so right!! Super pleased with SRAM X7. Bought the bike in December 2011. Got a great price since it was a close out. Quick turning, light, fast. I was considering the Rumblefish - love it and it is a great bike, but I am happier with the faster turning more racy HiFi. It fakes DH and endure well enough for me and is truly a XC bike which is what I was looking for. You can't go wrong with this ride.

Submitted by rdd1986 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2012

Strengths:    Just a blast to ride

Weaknesses:    rear hub has failed on me twice!!

Bottom Line:
Bought this just over a month ago as a leftover from last year (2011). I'm a bigger guy at 6'1" 280lbs and I managed to destroy to hubs real fast but the trek dealer upgraded me to the Bontrager rhythm pro and it seems to me working well. Overall the bikes great and I've been getting a hell of a workout!

Favorite Trail:   Fort Rock Exeter, NH

Purchased At:   Trek Portsmouth

Submitted by 9erfreak a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2011

Strengths:    Solid build, excellent shifting, nimble for a 29er, all out blast to ride

Weaknesses:    Too much fun to ride

Bottom Line:
The bike goes where I want it to go when I want it to go there. It does everything well. Granted, you can get a better bike for more money, but if you just like to hit the trails on the weekends or want a reliable bike for some local MTB races, this bike will do just fine. The HiFi Plus is excellent for someone who wants a nice full suspension 29er. It has helped me save energy on root covered trails and I can ride 2+ hours on it without any issues. My friend can still outrun me on his Superfly, but he has a much more difficult time doing it now. I would recommend this bike to any friend of mine. It is by far my best purchase to date.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er, Gary Fisher Superfly

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ SPD pedals

Submitted by JBiker a Weekend Warrior from Peoria IL USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth ride, good components.

Weaknesses:    Paint scratches easily. Recommended frequent maintenance of rear shock (rebuild every 8 hrs in wet conditions).

Bottom Line:
I've been riding the bike for a couple weeks now and am very pleased with the purchase. The combination of 29 in. wheels and full suspension make conquering any cross country trail easy. I'm able to go 30% farther without getting tired compared to my old 26 in. hardtail. My only complaints are it is difficult to mount on a bike rack due to the horizontal position of the rear shock and the paint job scratches easily. I've already got well worn in scratch marks where the shift cables rub on the front down tub.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Bike Setup:   Stock 2011 model.