Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29 29er Full Suspension

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

The 130mm M5 hydroformed frame with 29er Trail geometry, plus a Fox/Specialized remote Brain shock with AUTOSAG, Fox TALAS CTD Evolution fork, custom Avid Elixir 5 SL disc brakes and a 142+ wheelset makes the SJ FSR Elite 29 one of the fiercest bikes on the trail.

Submitted by steg211 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2013

Strengths:    Low standover height, xtr rear, Front Talas fork, Brain rear shock.

Weaknesses:    Avid brakes. Low pedals.

Bottom Line:
This bike is solid! I'm 6'1 210lbs and I ride a large frame. I ride aggressively. The faster the funner.
-Really the only weakness it has is the crappy Avid brakes. After 2 rides and 2 crashes
I upgraded to XT brakes. Still used the stock Avid rotors and the brakes now work great.
-Fox Talas fork is butter compared to my Rockshox Reba.
-This is my first full suspension bike so I cant really compare the Brain shock to others, but I do know that I never have to think about it. I see other riders noticeably bobbing when they peddle but I never feel like I am.
-The low top tube makes me feel like I'm "In" the bike as opposed to "On" the bike.
-The worst part about this bike is the fact that I hit the ground alot with my pedals. I nearly had some serious getoffs until I got used to it. You really have to mindful of the low pedal clearance.
-The rims were easy to setup tubeless. I bent the stock rear Roval rim on a hard landing off a jump.
-I don't care for the dropper seat post. It requires a lot of effort to get it to go down and now it won't come
back up on it's own. I'll be replacing it soon with rigid one.
Overall I think this is the best stock aggressive cross country/all-mountain bike available.

Submitted by Pohiles

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2013

Strengths:    Brain, talas, cranks, fit& finish

Weaknesses:    BRAKES ARE AWFUL. Seat post is weak

Bottom Line:
This bike is worth the money. I was skeptical of the brain until I rode it. The brain is better than advertised, ultra stiff on up hills but still soaks roots. I leave it in full firm all the time. I live in Hawaii so the riding is true All Mountain and the suspension is the best I have ridden. I had to replace the Avid brakes before the first ride, they can not be blend. I have replaced them with XTR and, upgraded to Mavic ST wheels, also a KS LEV seat post. I think this is a true All Mountain race bike now. My bike weighs 28.6lbs which is the exact same as the Carbon Expert EVO, but with better brakes, seat post, and wheels. I have $5400 that's 1k cheaper.

Submitted by Woofie Humpage a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2013

Strengths:    The SJ will roll over just about anything. I can get further on rougher trails on the SJ than I could on my EX9. At first the SJ felt big to me but the bike does shrink as you go faster and it is a very stable confidence and speed builder on the twisty up and downs in the desert. I was worried about running out of gears on a two-ring set up at the front but it has worked out well. Oh, beware the seat dropper if you are new to it. If it hits you in the gonads you will end up lying on the side of the trail while your friends laugh at you. It will bring the tears to your eyes, I promise. Since I don't really use it, I could do without it.

Weaknesses:    This is my first Specialized. The Brain is a total waste of space IMHO, and an expensive, dysfunctional gadget. I don't notice any performance difference but now I have to pump the shock all the time as the Brain bleeds the air out. If I could get rid of the Brain I would in a heartbeat. The Brain cost this bike its fifth chili pepper. The Talas fork, OTOH, is sweet.
Perhaps as a consequence of the Brain this bike lacks ground clearance IMO. I experience way more pedal to ground/obstacle strikes than I did on my old bike.

Bottom Line:
My previous ride, which I still have, is a Trek EX9. The SJ is a superior ride that will get me into harder spots. I had not owned any SRAM equipment before, and being all Shimano was a bit leery, but so far so good. The Brain aside, all I will add to this bike are a set of Stan's ZTR Flow wheels. I would say anyone would do well on this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Pembereton Trail

Purchased At:   Fountain Hills Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek EX9

Submitted by barry a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth sailing bike. This thing rides/climbs amazing. The brain works excellent in helping with climibing. CTD front Talas shock has been flawless.

Weaknesses:    None, I wish I had more time to ride it

Bottom Line:
I have put about 250 miles on this bike since my first review. The XTR rear derailuer is top notch, the smoothest RD I have used. Command post is awesome, and works great. The autosag feature seems to work very well. I love the CTD option also. This is a great bike and has top end components for the money.

Submitted by barry1me a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Strengths:    Front fork is solid, XTR shadow plus is solid and crisp. Fun bike to ride, very happy with purchase. The command post is an awesome feature to have also. Autosag feature is pretty cool, and very easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock and brain. Im struggling with getting the rear shock to work well for me. It seems like the brain doesnt work as well as other brained bikes I have rode. I have to run the valving all the way slow, and the brain at the stiffest setting and its still not efficent. It seemed to be better when I first got the bike, and now it doesnt seem to work as well.

Bottom Line:
Very happy with the bike, great features for the money. I hope that my LBS will be able to get my rear shock figured out. So far the service at LBS has been disapointing.

Purchased At:   Town and Country

Submitted by Hophead1

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2013

Strengths:    Solid bike. Great fox suspension, would be great on bigger stuff with 130mm travel. Nice do-it-all bike

Weaknesses:    Don't like any of the paint schemes
The stupid crome, plastic cover over the stem/head looks walmarty and is a real eyesore. Has no business being on this bike. Seriously.

Bottom Line:
This was the epic with the brain. Did a really nice job setting the suspension up by putting in my weight plus 60psi, hit a button and I was off. Demo was in tight techical stuff in florida for about an hour. Not ideal place for the stumpy. It took a while for me to get used to it but I got faster on it, even in the tech stuff. A shorter wheelbase would prob be better for my area but with a couple more hrs. ride time I could do just fine on it. Rolled nicely. stem was a little short for me, even on the large. I'm 6'. I found that getting in the small ring I could ride the tech faster and even pedal climbs seated, even with roots. That was cool. The minor issues with the tight stuff are just a trade off for making the bike more stable for the bigger stuff.

Submitted by Victor a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    it climbs like a goat and handles very nimbily. My ability to get in and out of tight corners is great a huge step up from my hardtail a 15 mile ride felt like 10 and I was ready for more

Weaknesses:    it only comes in one color scheme. Is that a weakness? I will have to go find one

Bottom Line:
I just got this bike and it is my first fullsuspension bike and my second 29r
I absolutely love it, I was able take corners a lot easier than my hardtail and it shifted easier and amazingly it is lighter so the work to climb the hills was easier I could just have more fun on it

Favorite Trail:   El Corte Madera OSP - aka SKeggs

Duration Product Used:   2 days

Purchased At:   Cognition Cyclerty

Similar Products Used:   no

Bike Setup:   crank brothers candy 1 pedals
waiting on Shimano XT brakes

Submitted by Devastazione a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    Handles likel a 26, incredibly fast and safe on the downhills,looks good,rear suspension Brain equipped,rolls onto everything,truly unstoppable.

Weaknesses:    Unbelivably heavy, more enjoyable at high speeds wich are tough to gain given the obscene weight,lousy hubs.

Bottom Line:
Size L here,14 kgs with pedals and tubeless.
Coming from and Epic Expert I've found this bike a lot more enjoyable to maneuver to the point that it doesn't even feel like a 29er. The real issues here is weight,this bike feels like a damn bull on sleeping aids trying learn how to fly .On the uphills be prepared to take your time and not to wear your legs out by hammering the pedals like you're on a front bike or on an mighty Epic. I hope is just a matter of getting used to it because I don't see myself keeping this bike for a long time if that's not the case. Everything else is great,the bike soaks up everything from small rocks to small ditches,I'm now able to throw myself into doing stuff I could only dream about with my 26 as when it comes to rocky dowhills I'm quite a chicken. Still, this will be my last FS 29. Unless you spend some top cash on monster bikes like Santa Cruz LTC it looks like you can't have the whole package ( fast uphill as much as downhill)
Suspension compartment got you covered : you may like or not like the Brain but I personally love it and it has been hugely improved from my 2011 26er. I was quite skeptical about the Talas fork but it turned out to be quite handy while climbing,I guess while it can be skipped on a 26 it's truly mandatory to have it here. Also,the new CTD fork is truly butter smooth and very functional,I love it !!

Upgrade 2011 spesh Stumpjumper FSR elite 29- want a stiffer ride - would you do this?

Broken rear spokes and noddle ride need to be improved I can pick up the following for around $700 - Or I can get a new fox 34 plus stans flow EX - but the cost would be a lot more i think - would you do either???? [B]RockShox Revelation dual air 29er fork 140mm,20mm t/a,tapered steer aprox. 7 ... Read More »

Upgraded my 2013 Stumpjumper Elite 29 FSR

I have been extremely happy with my Stumpy Elite. I was skeptical about the Brain, but it is better than advertised. I live in Hawaii so the riding is true All mountain you need the travel and, to be able to climb. The brain is the firmest rear suspension bike I have ridden Period. Then theres the T ... Read More »

2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29

Picked it up yesterday. Have been riding a 2011 Specialized Enduro as my main bike for the last two years but I really have taken to 29ers and will probably never buy anything else ever again. i know it's fashionable to bust on Specialized but while they are not as avant garde or trendy as som ... Read More »

Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29 2013 ( EU colors)

Man..almost two months of wait but finally the bike will be here next week. This is the only picture of the bike "live" instead of the usual color altering marketing pics. I have to say I like it very much,probably more than the black-yellow chosen for the USA market. We'll see it how it looks in pe ... Read More »

2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite vs 2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp 29

Narrowed my looking to these two FS bikes, and am looking for opinions on the two. Both feel good when I sit on them so now it comes down to All Mountain capabilities. I ride around the neighborhood, forest roads, single track and some Ski Resort climbing and downhill. So what do you think woul ... Read More »