Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 29er Full Suspension

4.53/5 (60 Reviews)

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29: The Stumpy FSR Comp 29 is built from an M5 aluminum frame with 130mm of rear wheel travel, a custom Fox Triad II shock with AUTOSAG, Fox Evolution F130 RL air-sprung fork, and a custom...

Submitted by OoHoO

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2013

Strengths:    Pedaling platform, suspension ease of setup and versatility, frame geometry

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
This bike is the most versatile bike I have ridden (ridden both hardtail 26, full sus 26). The suspension is easy to set up and maintain and allows me to set up for both xc firmness and DH/AM type riding. Going tubeless was easy on the stock wheel set and tires was easy also. Went and bought a pair of Stan's Crest 29 wheels with S-Works Fast Trak tires, threw them on the bike and set the suspension on the firmer side and I have been racing this bike at right above 26lbs for XC (down from the stock ~30lbs). This bike is a great all around bike, may be the last one I need, it can do it all.

Submitted by matt

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs anything, rides fast, comfortable cockpit

Weaknesses:    The only thing I have had an issue with other than the factory recall on the evolution series shock, is that my front brake squeels and skips when hard pressure is appied to the lever.

Bottom Line:
Overall this bike is AMAZING! this is the 1st bike I havepurchased in like 12 years, my last bike was a schwinn MOAB hardtail so my review may be biased based on my previous bike. 1st FS bike, and 1st bike with disc brakes too. I have had this bike for about a month and have been able to tackle terrain that I used to have to walk over on my last bike. I am still getting used to this bike but overall I am very happy with it. The stock components work well however I do have some intermittent squeeling and skipping on the front brake, back brake works fine with no issues and since thats the main brake I dont mind it so much. Ialso got this bike on sale in October from my LBS, nothing better than end of the year specials. If you are looking for one ride that can do it all this is your steed.

Submitted by 29er'ForLife

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2013

Strengths:    I love this bike my first full suspension 29er and my first 29er. This bike has been well worth the money, and is vary well built. I can tackle any terrain even thought this bike might be on the heavy side for some people, it performs vary well on climbs and descents. i haven't had any problems with the components that came with the bike.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness of this bike is the weight but thats probably not the reason why you would buy this bike in the first place.

Bottom Line:
Over all great buy this bike will conquer any terrain you throw at it.

Submitted by TallHorse a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2013

Strengths:    Pedaling platform, Descending, Suspension

Weaknesses:    Weight (but for the price 30lbs is good), Avid Elixer 5 brakes

Bottom Line:
I have been on a 2013 FSR 29 comp for a full season / several thousand miles and it has treated me right! I am 215lb on an XL and often ride quite technical trails. The Stumpy has always made me smile with no issues. I came from a 2011 expert with the Brain and this bike is head an shoulders above that past model.

The new 12mm rear axle creates a noticeable increase in stiffness - especially in the rough. The 22/36 gearing works great for me as a clyde. The suspension has a great pedaling platform and is still quite plush without having to pay $250 to service the brain - which takes 2 weeks. Plus I get full travel in the rear which I never got on the '11. (lower PSI in the front fork creates the best balance IMO - ex 75 when 90 is recommended for my weight)

The bike is 30.3 lbs with XT pedals, an Easton Havoc 29.5" bar and a Truvativ T4 setback seatpost. The one thing that works fine but could be better is the brakes. I rode some XT's and got spoiled.

This is a good trailbike for those who want to ride everything from cross country to light all mountain. If you can only have one this is a good pick. Overall it is durable, well balanced and descends with great confidence - pretty good for a FS under 3K.

Favorite Trail:   Deer Creek, Lunch Loops, UPS/LPS

Similar Products Used:   2011 Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29

Submitted by Paul

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2013

Strengths:    Wasn't much of a choice. I'm 6'6" so this is the ONLY bike I could find that would fit me because it comes in XXL. Found a used 2010 and jumped on it. Came from an XL superlight and fell in love on the first ride. I climb way better now. On the downhill sections most of the time I don't have to worry about picking a line... this bike just soaks it up.

Weaknesses:    Avid elixir breaks require constant re-alignment or else they will rub.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! Probably the main reason is because its the first bike that actually fits me.

Submitted by Jim Pearson a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Strengths:    Fast rolling, excellent suspension, climbs like a goat, loves an aggressive rider. Probably immediately 10-20% faster than my 2012 Trance x0 26er on fast flowing trails. Value for money awesome with the LBS deal I got (and I always thought Giant were best in VFM!). Test road trance x 29er as well and the stumpy smokes the trance if you ride agressively. Trance more plush and good for the casual rider. Stumpy hands down if you wanna attack the trails and go fast.

Weaknesses:    Swapped the brakes to XT trails from new. Juicy 5s a poor spec for this bike. Issues with fox fork, blow off valve for climb setting did not reset, fox fixed on warranty. Minor stuff.

Bottom Line:
If you want a fast bike that awards an aggressive rider and is great value for money then the stumpy is the 29er to have.

Favorite Trail:   Pondy's, redwoods, Rotorua, NZ

2006 Attack Trail

Bike Setup:   Tubeless, XT trail brakes with ice tech rotors, KS Lev dropper,

Submitted by thisismyarizona

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Strengths:    Immediately fun and confident in the saddle...really no downside from my 26er (also FSR). Tried Tall Boy, both carbon and alum, and felt very awkward...not so with the FSR. Rolls over everything - point and shoot mountain biking - great climber and descender...great handling on technical trails

Weaknesses:    would love to shave some weight (29+lbs)...will work on that when I can.

Bottom Line:
The FSR required no 'learning curve' going form a 26er to the 29er. Had to move the saddle back a bit to get comfortable over the bars, then it was all fun. Very important to watch tire pressure (I run tubeless)...I run about 23lbs...(large frame 5'11 160lbs) and it works perfectly. Spend some time dialing shocks (damping and rebound) and it all comes together beautifully. Very fun to just ride around exploring...you can cover so much more ground on a 29er. Just love it!

Submitted by crclawn a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, rolls over everyting.

Weaknesses:    A little sluggish in tight spots.

Bottom Line:
Riding this bike is almost cheating. Rolls over everything. You will pick less lines. Very plush. Climbs reall well for the amount of travel. I put I9's and flows on it and its a beast. I run the Reba w 20mm t/a up front and 10mm bolt on in the back, very stiff. You might not like this bike if your used to a light weight 26 that you can flick around. If you are looking for something that will smooth out the rough and with some time in the seat, make you a better rider, consider the 29 FSR from Special Ed

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Submitted by Jari a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2012

Strengths:    Good bike after defected parts were replaced under warranty.

Weaknesses:    The quality of original components, specially Fox Triad shock, which needed to be replaced three times.

Bottom Line:
Good and versatile trail bike

Favorite Trail:   Mätäkivi

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Mountain bike shop F

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher and Rocky mountain 29ers

Bike Setup:   Mostly factory. Chain rings changed to 24/36, 560 mm handle bar

Submitted by TheRevCrusty

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2012

Strengths:    An immediately comfortable bike. The frame feels strong and the geometry is very "all-purpose". I didn't feel like it was designed for any special riding style. It just rides.

Weaknesses:    A little compact with the initial setup from my LBS. I reversed the factory stem and felt better. The factory front wheel (DT Swiss 520SL) is going to flex on hard braking. There is a long, long spoke but a big brake so things are going to flex. Inherent problem with 29ers that is getting addressed by the aftermarket I hope.

Bottom Line:
I love it. The bike looks huge (I'm riding an XL frame and I am 6'2", 180 lbs) but the center of gravity feels very natural. I've screamed through single-track flow like it was nothing. My climbs shouldn't be this easy for such a big bike. Downhill (not pro DH by any means) is confidence inspiring. The big tire and medium suspension make up for a lot of mistakes. I'd say the component group is weak mostly on the wheel side. My drivetrain has been very reliable. My brakes were set up poorly from the LBS but once adjusted perform great. The wheels seem to have a lot of slop but I know enough to understand that this is a 29" wheel.

Submitted by gent96

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    this my first 29er FS bike, coming from a Marin 26er hardtail. Before getting the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29er Comp, i did a lot of reading and researching. I compared the Camber to this and I believe that the Camber is an awesome bike on its own, but the Stumpjumper is a league of its own. When I got this, the difference was day and night! I rode on the same trails as I did with my 26er hardtail and if there were rock garden sections that I needed to dismount from the hardtail, I easily cruised on the Stumpy 29er. Going uphill was a breeze with my Stumpy as long as I practice good cadence and proper shifting management. There was a section of a local trail where even if I had engaged the tranny gear on my hardtail, it was not enough and i still had to dismount and push my bike up. But on the same section with my Stumpy 29er, I managed to clear it without going in full low gear; I was stocked! I discovered the joys and thrills of downhill with the Stumpy. It was fast and stable; the disc brakes have awesome stopping power. When I was a bit afraid to go fast downhill with my hardtail, I was literally flying on my Stumpy. It was lighter than my hardtail by a bit.

Weaknesses:    One inherent weakness of Specialized bikes, Stumpies included, is the proprietary sizes of the rear shock. The stock Fox Triad II is awesome for my taste, since I'm new to FS bikes. But what if I want to upgrade later? Another weakness for me is the cornering ability of the 29er. I have to go slow and wide on switchbacks whereas on my 26 bike, I was nimble. But maybe when I get use to it and I bacome a better rider, I can more or less cut corners easily with my Stumpy.

Bottom Line:
I am 5'8", 160lbs and i got the medium. I highly recommend the Stumpy 29er Comp! Overall, a really nice bike for my needs!

Submitted by bicyclebillpdx

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs like a hardtail, goes downhill like a 6" travel AM bike. Doesn't feel awkward like most of the 29er's I've tried. Thru axle front and rear (incredibly stiff), smart and efficient kit. The only XL 29er package out there to have the brains to put 200mm front/180mm rear brake rotors. Fox front shock at the price point of Rockshox from everyone else

Weaknesses:    If anything, maybe the weight. But no heavier than competition at same or higher price point

Bottom Line:
I'm totally impressed by this bike. I've been riding a 5.5" Ventana El Ciclon for the last year, and a Santa Cruz Superlight for 3 years prior. This bike smokes anything I've ridden before. I've been a big poo poo'er of 29ers for a while now because the ones I've ridden felt off to me. This bike doesn't have the funny floppiness or fear of going over the bars that most 29ers evoke in me. It feels like I fit in the cockpit; not up on top of it. I'm faster up and downhill on this bike, and catching bigger air on whoops than with either of my previous bikes. I'm 6'3"/190 lbs riding an XL, and I've finally found a bike that doesn't look like a circus bike!

Submitted by Colin

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2012

Strengths:    Great suspension. Rides very smooth. Tires are grippy. Easy to shift up hills. Brakes are very good.

Weaknesses:    Back brake came un aligned. Tires have a great texture but are too thin for sand, gravel, and any other soft surfaces you find while riding downhill. Front tire slips around sharp corners or when leaning a lot, caused a broken wrist and a ruined season.

Bottom Line:
Pretty good bike all around. SOMEONE PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE THE ANSWER TO THOS QUESTION. How do I fix the issue of my front tire slipping around hard corners or when leaning? I have experience and I am not slamming my brakes on turns. Thanks

Skatinboi@gmail.com

Submitted by Harry van Breen a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Strengths:    Had the bike for 10 months now (2012 version) and still rides like a dream. Had the "command post" fitted as extra and recommand it to everybody. The bike is a steady platform downhill. With this bike I'm faster than my buddies downhill. All down to the bike. Just do not tell them :-)

Weaknesses:    Most of my riding is under wet/sand/mud conditions (my preference). Consequenly, the components are disintegrating fast. Replaced the chain 3 times (due to rust, wear and one failure), replaced the cassette with a more durable XT version and replaced/upgraded the chainrings as well. While replacing the chainrings I noticed that they did not match the factory specs. Instead of the factory 36/22 mine had a 36/24 setup: no wonder climbing steep slopes did cost a lot of strenght. The brakes started squeeling after riding some 100 km. Solved by replacing the original metal sintered pads with organic pads (replaced those 4 times due to wear). Had to bleed the front brake about two weeks ago due to water ingress.

Bottom Line:
All in all I love to ride the bike. On the trail it really shines. Especially in downhill and/or enduro conditions compared to my last bike. And that is what counts. If you have or buy a Stumpy 29 fsr, do check the chainrings. If they do not have the 36/22 configuration, let them change it. If you have money to spend: install a command post and consider ergonomic grips (the wide handlebar made my hands tingle)

Submitted by EKHolden1962 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2012

Strengths:    I'm a big guy and the 29er in my opinion is the only way to go, uphills makes a heap of difference particularly up tight switchbacks, down hill wow! Suspension is great, the bike handles heaps better than my Giant Anthem X3 ever did and more enjoyable to ride.
I think me being a 6"3 guy has a lot to do with it however.

Weaknesses:    Some creaking in the bottom bracket (I think?), Avid elixirs had to be rebuild under warrantee within 5months and the 32mm forks flex a little. I'm being picky however as I'm stoked about the bikes performance.

Bottom Line:
All good for a 6"3 guy that weighs 115kgs.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Kiara Malaysia

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes Gold Coa

Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.

Who else is going to buy one? I'm getting one Around the beginning of September.Read More »

Stumpjumper FSR comp 29 size

Hello guys, i'm new on this forum and I really would appreciate your help. I'm going to buy a stumpjumper fsr 29 (actually already ordered). This will be my first "real bike" and I really want to go into the sport -(mainly trail). I really struggling to find the right size for me. I went to my L ... Read More »

Bike racks for 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo 29

Just bought a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo 29. Looking to buy a 2" hitch mount rack. Thinking about a tray rack due to placement of rear shock. Anyone have any imput as to a Thule, Yakima etc. or any other rack they recommend. Thanks in advance for your help.Read More »

Decision time: Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 or Santa Cruz Superlight 29?

I've got a chance to get a really good deal on a bike this week as a part of our team's sponsorship with a bike shop. Most of my racing is on the road and cyclocross, but I really enjoy getting out on my mtb. I've been riding a hard tail 26" bike for years, and I'm finally thinking of stepping up to ... Read More »

Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 as an XC bike

I have been riding since April, and picked up my 2012 Rockhopper 29 in May. I really love riding, and am going to stick with it. My buddies have both upgraded their bikes to FS bikes, and there is just no comparing. Now I am looking at the 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29. I ride on rocky trails, lo ... Read More »