Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 29er Full Suspension

• Pedals: Crank Brothers Smarty custom
  • Saddle: Specialized XC MTB

Submitted by WestwoodCycle a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    The bike is incredible. I would never go back to a 26, the thing moves over terrain like no other. If you like tubeless the bike comes with tires and rim strips ready and its a quick change. The 2x10 gears gives you such a wide range of gearing and it makes you pedal! If your interested in a 29 full suspension go with this or the new Giant Anthem 29er

Weaknesses:    The handling is a little different going to a 29er from a 26. But it takes a little to get use to from every new bike.

Bottom Line:
Specialized Stumpjumper 29 FRS is the way to go!

Purchased At:   Westwood Cycle

Submitted by biker Bear a Weekend Warrior from Kemmerer, WY

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Strengths:    Enormously fun to ride. Improved my riding by light years over my old 1985 Cannondale m500. Much more stable, carving turns better, better descender, climbing better. After 3 months, I am just beginning to find how good I can be.

Weaknesses:    I have not ridden enough other bikes to compare. I did ride a Pivot 429 at Moab this spring. This bike feels comparable to that highly rated bike. I do wonder what a 15 or 20 mm axle would do to the steering, and if I am good enough to notice the difference.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It has opened so much more terrain that I can now ride. Going down technical descents are now possible where before I always walked them. I am 46 years old, my knees are getting sore, but this bike enables me to fly through the woods or the desert with a big grin on my face.

Favorite Trail:   Grand County, CO trails

Purchased At:   The Bike Shed, Kearn

Similar Products Used:   2010 Pivot 429
My son has a 2009 Rockhopper 29 HT, and I like my bike longer cockpit. I am 6' 200lbs. Long waisted. I need the extra length. I am riding a large.

Bike Setup:   Switched out the stock handlebar for a Specialized Enduro bar cut down to 27". I like the extra leverage. After reading the reviews, I deciding which pedal I am going to put on. Currently using my old XT pedals with clips. Very old school.

Submitted by seanriva a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2010

Strengths:    The amazing confidence it gives you. The smooth ride. The speed.

Weaknesses:    some balance issues when momentum is very slow or even at a stop.

Bottom Line:
This bike is astonishing. If you have never had the chance to ride one. . .Do it as soon as possible. I can not beleave they changed this bike. I feel its a classic, I have riden the new specialized 29er and I think this one is actually better. I am 6 foot 5 and 210 pounds and this bike has been beaten since it first became available to preorder in XL frame. I love this bike and will keep it for the rest of my life. Please try this bike, after you ride it you will be looking to buy one.

Favorite Trail:   The Trail @ my old Farm

Purchased At:   Bicycle Habitat

Similar Products Used:   Loads of Giants throughout the years and a Gary Fisher 29er.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock, New peddal (through out the stock ones asap) and an sworks carbin handdle bar, grips.

Submitted by Dan'ger a Cross Country Rider from East Bay, CA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Strengths:    Responsive suspension, rolled smoothly over rough terrain

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy

Bottom Line:
Compared to a 26" Stumpjumper, I found this FSR Test Bike to be nearly impossible to wheelie, manual or bunny hop. For what it lacks in those abilities, it more than makes up for in steamrollering. Any time that I would have pulled up for a wheelie drop, I just continued rolling over whatever was in front of me.

The x.9 RD and shifters were crisp and accurate. The shop had set the fork and shock air pressures for me and the settings were spot on, soaking up every bit of harshness from the Miami park trails, scattered with coral gravel and roots.

I haven't ridden other 29" FS bikes and it really made me want to ride it again over different terrain or on a longer ride to see how it compared.

I thought the overall weight was a bit portly as compared to the other FSR Demo Bikes. Even the 26" Enduro weighs a few pounds less.

Favorite Trail:   Still Searching

Purchased At:   Big Wheel, Miami

Bike Setup:   SRAM x.9, Fox Shox RP23, Reba fork

Submitted by bike2055 a Weekend Warrior from Corinth

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, good components, quality

Weaknesses:    front derailure

Bottom Line:
A great bike. Does everything that I ask of it. Bought last years model on sale. Love the brain.

Purchased At:   Oxford Cycles,

Submitted by MonkeyDawg a Cross Country Rider from Jackson, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    Brain shock, shifters, light weight for full suspension bike.

Weaknesses:    Stock XC flat bar too short (600mm)

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I love this bike. I love this bike. I will never never give up the SJ HT 29, having both is awesome. This bike will do it all, and do it all well. Not sure why Specialized stopped using the Brain in '09, it's a fantastic shock. Did I mention I love this bike?

Favorite Trail:   Forest Hill Divide Loop

Purchased At:   Kinetic Cycles, Elk

Similar Products Used:   '08 Stumpjumper HT 29, FSR XC (26)

Bike Setup:   Stock except for bar (Demo 680mm mid-rise) and pedals (Shimano M520)

Submitted by wavescape a Cross Country Rider from alpine,calif,usa

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2009

Strengths:    I love the xo derailer kills shimano,Love tubeless first bike I went tubeless,The brain works, wonder why the went with out on the brain in 09 thats why I got a 08.I also love crank bros pedals I have used xtr and cranks work better, so far the reba fork works great.The 29er feels like a train on the trail the front tire is so controlable it feels like a train I am tall 6'3" so the xl 29er feels perfect I had the 08 stumpy expert and decided to try the 29er and they said they were not puting the brain on the 09 so my local bike shop said they could get a 08 for $2400 so I said lets do it

Weaknesses:    so far nonthing

Bottom Line:
the 29er feels perfect. when your tall being up over the tires feel so real it feels like riding a motorcycle your size not your kids. there is a lot of tire in front of you the days of the 26 inch wheel are over

Favorite Trail:   anderson truck trail

Purchased At:   uc cyclery

Similar Products Used:   stumpy fsr expert,enduro sl to much travel for the climb,enduro sx to heavy

Bike Setup:   stock except for tubeless

Submitted by Skinner29er a Cross Country Rider from Tampa FL

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    Comfort for 265lb rider. Lateral rigidity. Brain works!! Rolls over rough terrain that used to slow me down. Lower center of gravity gives the feeling of being "IN" the bike instead of "ON" I like that! I am an expert rider but 43-yo. this bike lets me ride in a more comfortable style which means I can stay out longer with less fatigue. Very forgiving for mistakes in my line.
The frame is another quality Specialized product, very stiff. The REBA works well. The best feature is that it climbs like a hard-tail and drops like an all mountain. The Ultimate brakes work so much better than my on ones they almost threw me off the bike. Now that they are worn in they are very crisp and reliable. The wheel set has stayed true after taking some serious pounding in the last 5 weeks. First time using AVID SO's and I am impressed. I was an XTR guy for years but this de-railer is very crisp and accurate. It does well when shifting under the torque of my weight and strength. ( Know, I know, I'm not supposed to do that!)

Weaknesses:    Seat clamp broke day three. Pedals are shredded. I like the concept of the smarty's but they are not durable. My LBS says they will replace...May need to put my old shimano's back on. Grips are toast. handle bars are too wide. (The only hard spill I have taken was trying to squeeze through two trees!)

Bottom Line:
I think Specialized nailed this bike. I wanted something different to carry me into my 50's. This is it. The problems with the peddles and seat clamp are just cheap components and would never keep me from buying a bike.
My plan: replace pedals, Get Oury grips, cut the bars by 1 1/2 inches and ride the hell out of this bike.

My weight, style, age and ability all weigh in here. This bike fits me perfectly for the kind of XC riding I do.
Only reason I gave 4 chillis for value is for the pedals. If I didn't own a good pair of old pedals I would have to buy new ones.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   AJ'S Bike and Boards

Similar Products Used:   1992 Rockhopper, 1999 FSR XC pro

Bike Setup:   Stock from LBS. All pressures set to Specialized specs. Only thing I added was bar Ends and they have been with me for 18 years!

Submitted by jcr1 a Cross Country Rider from Grimsby, Ontario

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2009

Strengths:    everything. Really impressed by SRAM components. The brain and REBA fork work great

Weaknesses:    none so far. Replaced the Candy pedals by Shimano XT right away

Bottom Line:
Great bike. The brain shock is amazing, hard to describe how good it work. First experience with SRAM components. Found shifting more precise than Shimano. 29er is the way to go, great traction on climb, I shold have made the switch year's ago. The captain tires get good traction, will convert to tubeless with Stan kit. The bike is light @ 27.5lbs and feel solid. Really impressed, can't wait for the next ride and for warmer weather

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Liberty bicycles

Bike Setup:   Stock with XT pedals

Submitted by highcamp a Racer from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    FSR linkage, SRAM drivetrain (save for XT crankset), Avid brakes, Brain shock

Weaknesses:    Heavy. I'm 175 lbs and haven't had too much problem

Bottom Line:
29er's are the next evolution in mtn bikes. Everything you've heard or read is true. Bike climbs like a goat, tons more traction for the steeps. The 29er wheels smooth out rock sections and carry momentum for solid high end speed. Acceleration is a tag sluggish compared to a lightweight 26", but since you can carry more speed through turns in the first place, you don't need to accelerate as much to get back up to speed. If you think you're going to wind up in a sprint for the line though, go early. I'm 6'4" and the balance on this bike feels a lot more natural. Steering input is very different than a 26", body english is key and once you get it down the bike just carves. Because the 29" wheels have so much added traction, you can run a much narrower tire for xc racing and still have better grip than a 26, and for smoother courses, you can even run cyclocross tires.

Similar Products Used:   raced S-Works Epic for 4yrs, old FSR Stumpjumper before that

Bike Setup:   Stock, plan on swapping out wheels and tires.

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Portsmouth RI

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs very well, smooths out the rock gardens, get's up and over more than my 26, once up to speed carries the speed, fast.

Weaknesses:    Not fond of the Rockshox Rebba SL, only one one h20 bottle cage capablility, need to plan for a bit slower acceleration on approaches.

Bottom Line:
Total convert to the 29r concept, it's almost like cheating but so was full suspension when it first came out. The brain rear shock works as described, Will swap Rebba SL shock out for a Fox.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge rock

Similar Products Used:   S-works Epic 06, Epic comp 03, Stumpjumper FSR xc pro 02

Bike Setup:   out of the box specialized recomended set up, rock shox recomended setup

Submitted by bjtmhp a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2008

Strengths:    As a big rider (6'7" 230 lbs) a 29er is a better fit for me. Specialized was an easy sell when they introduced a XXL frame. The bike climbs great. The SRAM X-0/X-9 set-up has been a pleasant surprise.

Weaknesses:    S-Works The Captain Tires. These Tires are very light weight but not at all durable. I have had to replace both tires due to sidewall damage.

Seat Clamp - Light weight quick release clamp stripped out easily. It's a XXL Frame - the size of the rider should have been considered.

Bottom Line:
Awesome for a tall rider. I was worried about the not so beefy Rock Shox Reba forks but haven't had any problems. SRAM X-0/X-9 has been crisp and reliable. Avid Ultimate 7 and "The Brain" have all been great.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore CYN/Guadalasco Trail

Purchased At:   Cycle World

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic Comp

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a Giant non quick release seat clamp and WTB ExiWolf tires.

Submitted by wedelmaster a Cross Country Rider from Canmore Alberta

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    Fits taller rider well (6'4"), comfortable for long rides, good fork and shock (the Brain seems to do it's thing pretty well), climbs well, very stable cornering and downhills and great rolling momentum. The Captain tires seem pretty decent for the dry/rooty/rocky conditions around here.

Weaknesses:    Stock (Crank Bros. Smarty) pedals seem kind of cheap - creaking 10 minutes into the 1st ride and felt loose on their axle at the end of the ride. Put my old shimano's on after a week.

Bottom Line:
Well, did my research and drank the 29er koo-aid, so took a gamble and ordered up the Stumpjumper in an XL without having even sat on one. First ride out, immediately noticed the great climbing at the start of a favorite trail, ate up roots and small rocks. The best thing is the fit, the bike just seems more in proportion to my size. Gone is the tippy/riding high feeling I had on the Enduro. The geometry makes for a very comfortable ride, somewhat upright but still pretty responsive on tight turns and switchbacks...I was expecting it to be a bit sluggish but I find it more maneuverable and less twitchy than the Enduro.

The Brain seems to do it's thing quite well, I have it about 1/4 turn off of full firm but haven;t really played with it that much.
Reba fork feels solid and damp. Stock tires (Specialized The Captain) have great grip. SRAM stuff works great, no complaints, as do the Avid discs. Definitely noticed the increase in rolling momentum in a 24 hour race on rolling parts of the trail, i'd coast much farther on hills and flats than ever before.

All in all, sold on the 29er concept for my size (6'4" , 195 lbs) and really impressed with the overall feel of the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Ross Lake

Purchased At:   Bicycle Cafe

Similar Products Used:   First 29er.
Specialized 2001 Enduro Sport

Bike Setup:   stock
Fork and shock pressure set according to Specialized website info.

Submitted by AzArmyPA a Downhiller from Chandler, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome strong bike, comfy ride.

Weaknesses:    haven't seen any yet.

Bottom Line:
Sweet light ride, I went 1 x 9 on this one. Feels a little slippery on loose gravel(may change tires). Bike setup is awesome, thanks to Rage Cycles. Have been building for awhile. Love the Cushy ride. Still adjusting, did a cross country type rides so far, nothing down hill or real hard. Bike fits me great due to my 6'6" frame. Definately recommend for a clydesdale.

Favorite Trail:   48th to Mormon loop, to buena Vista, down to east Loop, to 48th

Purchased At:   Most parts LBS, fram