Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon 29 29er Full Suspension

The world's most capable 29er, the full-FACT carbon S-Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon 29 has 130mm of plush and efficient FSR suspension, a Fox/Specialized remote Brain shock with AUTOSAG and Kashima coating, Fox Factory F130 RLC fork with Kashima coating and FIT damper and carbon Roval Control SL 29 142+ wheelset.

Submitted by Bocephus39 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2012

Strengths:    Frame Stiffness. Component Quality. Auto Sag Rear Shock. Overall Geo. Dropper Seat Post. 29" wheels!!

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
I came from an XC bike and wanted something more capable for ALL MTN riding. The extra suspension travel with the more relaxed geometry is exactly what I wanted, not to mention the BIG wheels.

The Stumpy still climbs just as well as my 100mm travel XC bike. The brain in the rear shock works great. Once I got used to it, I dialed it in and now have an awesome platform for climbing, whether I'm sitting or standing.

As for downhills...with the dropper post, I can sit back and rail the descents. The brakes are huge (surprisingly quiet) and provide plenty of stopping power and the adjustable levers are very easy to use while riding.

Having 130mm travel with 29" wheels is a perfect combo for my riding style with what I typically ride. I feel like I'm riding a BMX bike whenever I get on this thing, it still amazes me each time I go for a ride.

I understand not everyone would spend the money on the S-Works, but the overall quality, design and finish on this bike, frame, and overall build leaves very little to be desired.

Awesome bike. Specialized did a great job on this build.

Favorite Trail:   BCT & Trail 100

Purchased At:   South Mtn Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Pivot Mach 4

Bike Setup:   It basically comes 1 way :-)

I did switch the wheels to Easton Haven Carbon & the bar to the Easton Haven Carbon.

Submitted by fill the void a Cross Country Rider from clio, ca

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Strengths:    Light, stiff (frame/wheels), quality of ride in variable conditions.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I have 6 rides with varying difficulty and conditions. The bike places the rider (me) in a balanced position, rides extremely quick and nimble, but stable and predictable at speed (not sluggish). Combination on stiff frame/front end and wheelset takes little effort to accelerate, hold your line at speed and through corners. The rear shock with Auto-sag has exceeded my expectations to this point, it keeps the rear planted on the ground and active. The new XX is a dream and shifts are spot on. It's great to have the two lower gears for spinning or for those over grade climbs. The wheelset may be the ace in the whole. Am running tubeless, the rotational weight feels as though they are even lighter than the suggested 1500 g. Not quite sure about the tires, at least the size. May up the front tire to the next size.

I would recommend this bike to anyone who likes to ride all types of trails, conditions, long rides and even racing or endurance events. If you are into fire roads, non-technical trails or primarily just racing, would recommend an Epic or similar. Will report again after 6 mos.

Favorite Trail:   trail less traveled