Specialized Camber Pro 29 29er Full Suspension

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

When it comes to a pursit's XC Trail bike, this is it, with upgraded front and rear suspension from Fox and Specialized that keep the Camber Pro 29er's wheels rolling over and through XC trail terrain.

• M4 alloy FSR frame with 29er-specific geometry, new suspension design, and sealed cartridge bearing pivots for confident handling and smooth trail performance
  • Custom Fox Triad II rear shock tackles all trail conditions with its 3-position, on-the-fly adjuster that includes lockout, fully open, and efficient ProPedal settings
  • Fox F100 RL 29 fork with lockout and adjustable rebound complements the big wheels to further smooth out rough terrain
  • Super light, custom SRAM Carbon S-2200 10-speed double crankset with GXP spindle and removable spider offers stiffness, performance, and durability
  • Custom Avid Elixir R SL hydraulic disc brakes with G3 Clean Sweep rotors for maximum stopping power and Elixir levers with reach adjust
  • Shimano Deore XTR Shadow rear derailleur with carbon cage delivers ultra-light, top-of-the-line shifting performance and legendary durability

Submitted by dickt3030 a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2012

Strengths:    It climbs like a beast in ProPedal mode in any terrain I've been on. I never feel the weight and traction has been great. It has the ability to handle most types of trails, aside from the most chunky downhill stuff.

Weaknesses:    Handling is a little slow and unpredictable, but this may be because of my fork set at 120mm. Rear end is not as plush as I would like, especially on square-edge hits. It has almost no ability to eat up square edge hits (possible flaw in FSR design?). A "noodly" feel was mentioned above. I, too, have felt this. Spec should consider beefing it up with tapered HT and thru-axle rear. Compared to the Rumblefish and R.I.P.9 I have demoed, both of which gobbled up everything in their path and felt extremely tight and solid, the Camber feels a little loose in the rough stuff. Again though, maybe running a beefier wheelset would alleviate some of this.

Bottom Line:
My experience with the Camber Pro 29 (2011?) is probably a bit different from all others here, because I built it up as a frameset, so take it with a grain of salt (or powdery red Sedona dirt).

Overall I think it is a great bike for the price, and I still have a blast on it. It is the perfect bike for the weekend warrior types, newbies, and moderate riders. Experienced riders and racers will feel the disadvantages, but that's not who the Camber was made for.

Favorite Trail:   Brown County State Park, Indiana; Mag7, Moab

Purchased At:   Slippery Pig, Phoeni

Similar Products Used:   Rumblefish, R.I.P.9

Bike Setup:   My build includes a Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti with 15thru-axle, set at 120mm, with a Crest to Hope Pro 2 Evo front wheel, 2X10 SRAM X9 and Truvativ Stylo crankset, Elixir CR brakes with 160mm rotors.

Submitted by Jeff L. a Weekend Warrior from lock haven PA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2011

Strengths:    2x10 drivetrain, carbon cranks, overall spec is good

Weaknesses:    fork is a little lacking(open bath damping)
perhaps a little heavy
no tapered headtube

Bottom Line:
for the price you really cant get a better spec'ed full suspension 29er. the straight 1 1/8" head tube was kind of a let down but at least it comes with a thru axle for some front end stiffness. overall i love throwing my leg over this bike and im completely obsessed with it

Favorite Trail:   entire allegrippis trail system

Purchased At:   The bike gallery

Bike Setup:   stock for now

Submitted by corider1021 a Weekend Warrior from Lakewood,CO

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2011

Strengths:    Size XL fits me perfect 6'1 #200.FOX fork F100 is decent.The 2x10 gears are cool.Sram Carbon cranks.XTR rear dur.

Weaknesses:    no problems just yet..it weighed #30 before it left the shop.I suppose that could be an issue for some people.

Bottom Line:
Since I have only had this bike for two weeks I will update my review in the future.But so far its everything 29ers are famous for.It climbs really well and on the downhill it flys.So glad I made the switch to a bigger bike.

Purchased At:   Wheat Ridge Cycle