Specialized Camber Comp Carbon 29 29er Full Suspension

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Specialized Camber Comp Carbon 29: The carbon fiber Camber Comp Carbon 29 has 110mm of front-and-rear travel; features a Fox Float Evolution RL 29, open-bath damper, tapered steerer fork; and custom Avid Elixir 7 SL, hydraulic...

Submitted by Dusty Trails a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2014

Strengths:    Handles down hill runs and up hills climbs very well - Light, and nimble - Very versatile

Weaknesses:    Could use better breaks

Bottom Line:
I love riding this bike and think it's the best "bang for the buck" in the Specialized Camber line. It's handled everything that's come down the trail. My 2014 has a lot better handling then my old 2012 Camber. Specialized made some pretty significant changes in the frame geometry between the two years. The 2x10 system that was put together on this bike works very well. There as been issue I've heard reported with the breaks, though mine have worked fine had power when needed and decent modulation with minimal noise. As long as my breaks keep working as they have I'll keep them but plan to upgrade at the first sign on fail. Aside from the breaks the only real improvement would be the wheel set, though not bad for the price, could be better. I plan on putting a pair of Mavic CROSSMAX SLR on soon.

Similar Products Used:   2012 Camber 29er, Tested Trek Fuel.

Bike Setup:   Stock aside from grips

Submitted by MTBeing

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2014

Strengths:    See below.

Weaknesses:    See below.

Bottom Line:
Purchased this in January 2014 and subsequently got a great deal on it. It's my first carbon f/s bike and my first Specialized as well. This bike rides like a dream although the stock 100mm stem (L) was too long for me. Knocked it down to an 80mm and the bike now fit's my 6'1" body. Here's what I like about the bike (and maybe a few concerns tossed in for fair-balance):
1) 110mm R/S Reba: Bomb-proof fork that's reliable and plush. The 110mm is a nice sweet spot between race and full trail geometry. Unfortunately, this fork has open dropouts which clamp to 28mm hub endcaps. Specialized claims this config is stiffer and more lightweight than a 15mm thru axle, but I would rather have the t/a.
2) Rims are Roval Control Trail 29 tubeless-ready with the rimstrip already in place. Throw in valves and sealant and you're ready to roll (tubeless). The hubs are asia-generic which make them heavier, although the 2013 rear hub is a "new" HiLo design with supposedly more bearing contact. This is a redo of the 2011-2012 rear hubs which had a higher failure rate. Wheelset weight 2130g. Note: After riding these wheels for almost 5 months they're still true and hold up really well.
3) Shimano XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur. Quiet as a mouse. Awesome. The paired SLX shifters are not-so-awesome. One fell apart on my first ride but Shimano c/s is sending me the replacement parts f.o.c. Note: I might move to XT here because the SLX stuff feels draggy but that probably wont happen until they break.
4) The Little Things: Stuff Spec does that sets them apart from their competition like:
- Full 'helicopter tape' downtube protection and cable-rub area attention.
- AL bashguard which also serves as chain retention.
- Full-length braided shifter cables for reduced contamination.
- 7050 AL handlebar, where many other companies would use 6061. 720mm wide. 225g. Respectable weight.
- A decent Specialized retail saddle (Henge Comp), instead of some oem unit that would be discarded immediately.
- A decent 2x10 crank (SRAM S-1250) which is 832g (sans BB). A respectable component weight for this class of bike.
- Full wrap polymer chainstay guard.
- DT Swiss ratcheting skewers ("RWS" they call it). Once you understand how they work, they're nice to have.
The big things:
- Awesome carbon front triangle geometry. This is the first 29er (I'm on #4) where I feel like I'm in the bike, not on top of it. Makes for great handling confidence. Also like that the rear swingarm is aluminum. Less concern if chainsuck happens.
- Fox CTD rear shock w/ autosag. I like the CTD concept.
- FSR: I do find myself riding in more Climb mode than I did on a previous bike, but I like having the shock right underneath me for quick adjustments. The shock feels better than other FOX Evos I've run on other bikes, which means it's tuned to this geometry and the FSR really well,
- 142/12 T/A rear end for stiffness.

Lastly...This bike looks SINISTER (all-black model). The all-black/charcoal color scheme is really awesome when reflected against a glossy carbon natural frame. You justr gotta see this bike in the sunlight.

Submitted by Jason G

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2013

Strengths:    Rolls well over terrain, don't have to use as much suspension as I did on my old 26er. Climbs quickly, Agile - carbon frame noticable.

Weaknesses:    Brakes - Avid 3R, 2 x 10 SRAM 36/22, Maybe the HTA...

Bottom Line:
Had this bike a little over a month and initial impressions are that its a solid bike but different to the 26 FSR XC Expert I had before obviously, which is an incredible bike. Having said that, I haven't had the opportunity to ride the Camber in max attack mode yet and in the full range of conditions I expect to encounter over time.

First the pluses: 29ers really do iron out the terrain. I can run this bike in Climb mode lots of the time, Terrain for tougher stuff and Descend when its knarly. On my 26er I would have been in Terrain or fully open more of the time even with 10mm more travel. It shoots up hills and you can feel the effect of the carbon, it makes the bike very responsive, not to be confused with twitchy, but it rewards if you know how to handle it. It rolls quickly but you don't notice it but your Endomondo or Strava will prove it. I bought my girlfriend a Cube 29 hardtail a few months back and she was instantly much, much quicker; now I have a 29er the playing field is levelled. It's that much of difference versus a 26!
I added a dropper post when I bought it and thats a great addition and I got one in a red and black paint scheme which I'm very pleased about.

Weaknesses/personal preferences. I spin out using the 36T. I do fast smooth tracks as well as rough trails, so I need a bike that 'does it all', so Im going to probably put a 38T chainring on it as a minimum to see how it goes. I think that will make it just 5% lower geared than a 26 running 44T. Upgrading to a triple I'm told means new derailleur and shifter as well as whole new crankset. Not cheap.

The Avid 3R brakes - not sure if they need more bedding in but i've done 100+ miles on them and they don't feel as strong as my previous Juicy 4's....yet. Front brake was squeaking last weekend and tonight its making some weird grinding noise with lack of power. I will ask the bikeshop to look at it when it goes back for its 6 week checkup.

So I haven't yet ridden this bike in full max attack mode yet and I'm still getting used to the geometry of the 29er but I wondering if the HTA at 70 degrees should have been a little slacker at say 69. XC's and Stumpjumpers both used to be 68.5. 29 SJ now 69 but Camber now 70, so the Camber seems to have been made closer to an Epic at 70.5. I guess you have to trust the brains at Specialized, as its more than just about HTA, I suppose..its trail, seat tube angle, chain staylengths,etc,etc

Reviews I've read said that Camber still decends great, so time will tell.

Would be great to hear of other peoples impressions too.

Submitted by Gary Kennedy a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2012

Strengths:    I love everything about this bike. I am coming from off a 1991 Rocky Mountain Hammer needless to say that this bike is better in every way. I really works well in flowing trails and find that it climbs really well. It doesn't matter if the rear is locked out or not I have not found that it makes much of a difference. The parts spec on the bike is strong as well.

Weaknesses:    It's a pretty big bike with a long wheelbase so it doesn't work really well in tight twisty stuff. It works ok but definitely not where it shines.

Bottom Line:
Overall really happy with this bike. I find it a fast and good handling bike. Since this is my first full suspension bike it feels like I riding around on my couch, it's that plush. It takes a bit to get used to the gearing on the bike. The 29's get up to speed quick and if I haven't grabbed enough gears I am spinning the cranks and not caught up to the rear going up the next climb. I figure this is an issue with most 29ers but caught me a bit off guard.

Duration Product Used:   Sept 2012

Submitted by GnarBrahWyo

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2012

Strengths:    I am coming off of a 26er so the strengths are many of those associated with 29 in wheels. Apart from that, what I liked is the geometry. I feel the handling is better than my 26 in Stumpjumper. The feel of the carbon frame is nice also. Bike feels forgiving going over gnarly stuff. Part of that is the high bottom bracket and 2x10 front chain rings. I measured and I have almost an inch more clearance on my Camber than I do my 2008 Stumpy FSR Comp 26er. Very confidence inspiring. I was able to clear rock obstacles I never could before on my Stumpy. Handlebars feel suited well for bike. Overall nice components.

Weaknesses:    I think brakes are a little weak. I feel the rotors might be a little too small. 110 mm travel might be too little for some, but seems good for me, especially on a 29er. I am not a big fan of the 22/36 gearing up front. Might drop to 34 or 32. I seem to be missing the sweet spot I had on my Stumpy on the climbs in the middle ring. Not much room for a large bottle down below. Geometry makes putting bike on frame mounted car rack difficult w/o an adapter.

Bottom Line:
Overall I love the bike. Some of the compromises I have discussed don't really effect my riding. I am riding faster (you don't feel you are going faster at first on a 29er but you probably are), and more technical. My technical skills I feel have improved the most. Going down steep stuff or over intimidating rocks is relatively easy. I am new to carbon frames and so far I like the stiffness and the way it absorbs hits. Handling and geometry are great. I think this is a great bike for anyone who wants to ride technical trails and XC trails.

Submitted by MickRides

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Strengths:    One of the best designed full suspension trail bikes I have been on. Plenty of pedal clearance for pedaling through the gnar, and a slack enough head angle to take on what the trail throws at you. With the carbon frame the bike feels snappy and has been perfect for me and southern Colorado trails.

Weaknesses:    I had trouble with the rear bearings in the rear wheels hub, maybe a month after really riding the bike. Now that was almost 600 miles of riding, but the rear hub got loose and the bearings were shot. Specialized and my shop replaced them within days, which is great service. The frame is designed to run full housing on the cables and uses cable housing clamps down the bottom of the down tube, if you don't get those little clamps tight enough the housing will slide around and mess with your shifting. The shop, which I am sure torqued to the appropriate spec, didn't get them tight enough so I had some time before I figured out the housing was sliding around. As with any carbon frame, probably best to get a torque wrench.

Bottom Line:
So I won the Specialized Camber on the MTBR contest on Feb. 29th this year. I was pretty pumped about it, but still was wanting to upgraded to carbon. I worked with Specialized through my local shop and was able to upgrade to this bike. I had also just found out that I had gotten into the Leadville Trail 100, so I am just a few days from that race and have put about 2500 miles on this bike. I know it well by now! I have upgraded the wheels to the Roval Carbon Trail SL and that brought the weight of the bike down to about 1.5 half. Went to a zero off set Thomson set post, the seatpost that came on the bike was nice, but had a little offset and for the perfect fit had to move away from that. Carbon bars that I won in the drawing at the Growler in Gunnison. I am setting about 26.5 pounds while running tubeless. I have hammered this bike and it is doing great. The only concerns out of the shop would really be the rear hub, everything else is really ready to ride right out the door with no upgrade, besides the quick conversion to tubeless. If you are ever in Southern Colorad and passing through the San Luis Valley check out my blog for some riding, I am just getting started, but there will be a bunch of trails added after I get done with this race this weekend. ridermick.wordpress.com

Dilemma: Choosing between '12 Camber Expert Carbon Evo R 29 and '13 Stumpy FSR Comp

Hi guys, need some advice here. I'm looking for my first 29er and been to few LBS's. Managed to get some good deals on the following bikes roundbout the same price range: i. 2012 Camber Expert Carbon Evo R 29 - AUS$3,500 ii. 2013 Stumpjumber FSR -AUS$3,099 iii. 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Carbon - AUS$3,8 ... Read More »

2012 Camber comp 29 & comp carbon 29 diff?

I'm looking to upgrade this year to my first 29er? The big think I'm worried about is the weight diff. and climbing from a 26 to a 29? Will I feel a diff if I drop the extre $1100 for the carbon? Does anyone know the diff in the frame weigh on the two? ThanksRead More »

411 on Camber comp carbon 29?

Demoed a Camber comp 29er just for the heck of it, was very surprised how well it rode and fit my style of riding. Now I want a camber comp carbon 29 instead of the tall boy. Any info on this bike I cant find any reviews yet. ThanksRead More »