Specialized Camber Comp 29 29er Full Suspension

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

The 110mm-travel Camber Comp 29 utilizes and M5 alloy frame, custom SRAM S-1250, 10-speed XC Trail double crankset and 110mm of travel to create an ultra-capable trail machine.

Submitted by MediumDiesel a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2013

Strengths:    Handles Great, Good Component Spec, Solid Wheels. Very versatile bike.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found so far.

Bottom Line:
This is my first 29er. I did have a 2010 Enduo expert that I loved but found that it had a bit too much travel for the local stuff I ride. Some friends told me about the Camber as they all thought it was one of the best bikes specialized made. I'm happy with my decision. It was everything I needed. The 2013 camber comp is spec'd with solid suspension and for all intent and purpose I think that x7 and x9 stuff is almost as good as x0, just cheaper and heavier. I like that the bike is poppy and makes you pick a line rather than just rolling over things. Make for a fun ride and the 29er part makes for longer days in the saddle less of a beat down.

Favorite Trail:   Lawndale

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Tried a Stumpjumper, had an Enduro

Bike Setup:   2013 Camber Comp 29. I added a bigger s-works purgatory up front, specialized command post dropper post and a WTB saddle.

Submitted by mbogosia a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2013

Strengths:    Great components, wheels are tubliss ready, nice fork and shock, 2x10 gearing, auto sag, fun to ride, and very cool looking.

Weaknesses:    Feels heavy, not great at making tight switchbacks, fork recommended pressures are way off if you want full use of travel, and tires seem just okay.

Bottom Line:
My review is for a 2013 camber comp model. I am 5'11 and the large fit great. The bike is a blast to ride and truly seems like a do it all trail bike. I had the shop remove the tubes and make it tubeless and it looked super simple for them to do. I am 195 and I am only riding with 100psi instead of the 135 or so that rockshox recommends. It is now soaking up bumps with ease. The autosag rear shock worked perfect. Overall this is a great bike. It looks like the component spec gets worse for the 2014 model. Mine is x7 and x9.

Favorite Trail:   Chickasaw Trace

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Moab

Similar Products Used:   Trek fuel ex

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Rueben

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2013

Strengths:    Fox fork and shox. Avid 7 brakes, components.
Can go over almost any terrain. This bike is like 100 times better than my trek 6000. I is very nimble and i is quiet a very good overall bike for xc to all mountain. I have been using the camber for almost 6 months.

Weaknesses:    The stock pedals need to be changed. The weight of the bike can be a problem. It is a little bit too heavy. They should have given the bike a little bit of a longer travel maybe 120mm. The wheelset has to be changed.

Bottom Line:
This is overall a very good. I is value for money. I have had the bike for 6 months and recently change the groupset to xtr brakes to sram xx fork to fox 34 float 120mm and the seatpost to the fox doss.If you have the extra cash you should upgrade the bike to take it to it's full potential.

Submitted by kyle242gt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2012

Strengths:    Fox Shox, good components

Weaknesses:    Weight I suppose, as all entry level FS 29ers. Stock pedals suck, toe clips too shallow... used the pedals and clips from my old MTB.

Bottom Line:
Went to five local shops the week before Black Friday. Settled on Specialized due to willingness to deal on end of year closeouts. Took a demo ride on a '13 Camber Comp, and was amazed to see how much better spec'd the '12s were.

I think any FS 29er is a great buy, and this thing was a 100% slam dunk price wise. I have a second buddy looking at this, as well as the '13 Stumpy.... Great bikes no matter how you slice it.

As I get used to its capabilities, I'm more and more amazed at what it will let me do. The biggest obstacle now is my brain saying "whoa dude, look out below".

Favorite Trail:   Annadel SP

Duration Product Used:   6 weeks

Purchased At:   Bike Peddler Santa R

Similar Products Used:   '13 Camber Comp, '12 Camber, '12 Giant/Trek/Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Stock, still playing with shock pressures.

Submitted by Dave

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2012

Strengths:    Very impressed with the whole package. It eats up rough terrain. I have a blast riding this bike. I came off a carbon trek super fly hard tail. I cracked my frame and my Lbs hooked me up with the camber till we got my my bike figured out. Trek did not stand behind their frame. Will never buy a trek product again... I thought i was a hard core hard tail guy till I spent a few rides on the camber. The camber never made it back to the bike shop and I have found a great bike at a great price.

Weaknesses:    I only have a few rides on it but I can't really find any weakness at this point

Bottom Line:
Love the bike. Looks good works even better. Good by hard tail

Favorite Trail:   Clinton lake

Duration Product Used:   3 rides

Purchased At:   Capps bike shop

Submitted by Kevin

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls and climbs amazingly, suspension is awesome, I was surpised at how little pedal Bob there was when climbing, I had to look to see if I was locked out. 2x10 drive train is great, eliminates the extra chainring yet provides you with all the gears you really need. Feels lighter than it's actual weight

Weaknesses:    Weight may be a factor, although I haven't gone on any long uphill rides where I think you then start to feel the weight. I noticed the front wheel was light on steep seated climbs

Bottom Line:
Overall awesome bike. This is my first 29er. I'm coming from riding a 26" wheel Titanium hardtail xc racer and I'm surprised how good this bike feels. My number one concern was going from an efficent climbing maching to a slug, and to my surprise this bike is amazing. Those 29" wheels are awesome, and that rear suspension in pro-pedal almost made it feel as good of a climber, if not better (It could very well have been the exctitement clouding my judgement of the new bike but I doubt it). I was contemplating getting a stumpy comp 29er, and I'm glad I didn't the camber provides me with more than enough travel and climbs like a goat at the same time ( I need more help going up than down). Overall I'm very pleased with this bike. I bought the lower(ish) end comp model to make sure that I liked it before dropping big bucks on the carbon or expert models. At this point with the bike I don't see the benefit in dropping an extra $1000 to save 2 lbs, but I could be convinced if they come out with a sweeter model in the next couple years.

Bike Setup:   Camber Comp XL, everything stock

Submitted by JP a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing and rolling ability.

Weaknesses:    1. Rear shock, blew out the oil via the rebound knob on Fox Evolution triad after 200 miles. It was on pro pedal and I landed off small 2' G out. At least I was able to pogo my way out for the remainder of the ride.
2. Still troublshooting a squeak in the head. Next swap is the upper bearing/race.
3. Little Portly at 30.5 lbs.

Bottom Line:
"It's like cheating!" in XC riding. Prior to buying. I used the Test Bike for a combined 30 miles in flowy fast and technical trails. I ended up buying the Test Bike.

I have increased my XC riding endurance and speed with the bike. The ability to lock both fork and shock makes climbing more efficient and road connectors faster. No wasted energy.

Note: Also had LBS remove the 10MM Fork spacer, so its now a 120MM. Running 85PSI. I weight 185lbs.

There are only a few guys left in my group of 16 that have not converted to a 29er for XC riding.

Careful with the stock handle bars at 720MM. They are WIDE, but I have not cut them down. Though, a 1/2 inch would be a good starting point.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   No other 29ers. Though I dd take a Pivot 429 for a quick spin, felt good but could not afford that.
26er-1999 Cannondale Super V700, 2004 Cannondale Jekyll 2000, Cannondale Prophet (2012 canibilized from Broken Jekyll frame) spare bike.

Bike Setup:   Added- ODI Grips(thick waffle style), Shimano 540 Pedals, $$$ Rear Wheel: Stans FLOW Rim/DT Swiss 240 Hub/Tripplebutted spokes/Tubeless. I tend to destroy rear wheels. Rear Maxxis Ignitor Tire- Dry Conditions Only.

Submitted by lastplace29er a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    Great set up and fit, 10 x 2 gearing, 2 way Shimano shifting. Point and go ability, the only thing holding me back is me. Nice step up from the std Camber 29. Rear Fox Triad II shock with propedal setting.

Weaknesses:    Weight, it's a bit "Portly" but aren't all FS 29ers under $5000?
Lack of availability, it's amazing as expensive as these bikes are how difficult it is to find one in stock.

Bottom Line:
Decided to get a new bike when a younger rider referred to my Trek as a "nice classic bike". I signed out a Camber Comp 29er from the LBS as part of their test bike program. This bike immediately improved my riding ability. Great feel and set up, smooth FS ride. The bike has "point and go ability", when all else fails just pedal and it gets you there. Brakes make a little noise but are a vast improvement over my old V brakes. 10 x 2 gearing minimizes front chain ring shifting. I love the 2 way Shimano shifters.

Favorite Trail:   Freedom Park, Williamsburg, VA