Specialized Camber 29 29er Full Suspension

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The 110mm-travel Camber 29 utilizes an M4 alloy frame, a RockShox Recon Gold fork for and custom Avid Elixir 3 R SL hydraulic disc brakes for a versatile trail package.

2013 Specialized Camber Pro Review

We had the opportunity to ride the 2013 Cambers in the heavenly trails of Bend, Oregon. This is a trail bike with 110mm travel in the rear and 110 in the front. The bikes rode like champs at Bend. The Cambers are so fast and easy to ride that they almost disappear into the ride. They climb very well and carve well. Compared to the 2012 Camber 29 that I’ve been riding, The new ones feel a hair smaller, lighter and more agile. One of the really cool revelations as I rode three models of Cambers is the new entry level Camber (under $2000) is a very capable bike. Continue reading →

Submitted by Mark Mollenkopf a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2013

Strengths:    Very active suspension, smooth feel, agile well balanced ride and stiff rear end with great responsivness

Weaknesses:    a touch heavy, and really needs a dropper post as standard equipment, seat doesn't fit me that well.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding and racing MTB for over 20 years, worked in the industry for most of that. Now that I'm older and the kids are old enough to let me go for rides I decided to get a new FS Rig and landed on this model. I've always been a hard tail rider (or short travel FS) and still ride a SS 29er so was a little unsure how I would like this squishy bike... IT Rocked my world!

when I bought this "entry" level (I use entry level loosely) Camber I thought I would get a few rides out of it before I start replacing everything (like Brakes, fork, post and wheels) but after about 2 months on the local trails here is Socal it shined like a diamond! Everything works perfectly, the fork has great feel, travel and the minimal adjustments I prefer (like a lock out, rebound and pre load) I prefer sprung forks over air and its going to be hard to want to waste money on a fork just to take weight off over this one!

The brakes... come on really? these big rotors feel good, stop on a dime, and minimal pump out on long descents! Again the only reason to change is if I want to save weight.

Drive train runs like a champ. shifts great and geared perfectly for socal trails, not gonna touch it till it starts to fail from abuse and miles.

The rest of the squishy design is amazing, climbs like a goat, super comfortable cockpit and of course the 29ers roll over everything... I'm even doing drops I typically wouldn't do to save my wheels and frame! the lock out on both shocks is so easy to use and quick, so no need for any more gadgets.
the bike is overall not to heavy and realistically shaving anymore weight would just be to try and keep up with the racer types... its very agile and when you lower the post (I recommend getting a dropper post!) the suspension gets real active and responsive... just what I expect from the best most reliable suspension design on the planet!

Don't believe me? let me put it in perspective for you, after two months I took it as my only rig to Moab about two weeks ago for a 4 day adventure and right out of the gate we shuttled the "whole Enchilada" which is 33 mile ride 27 of which are hardcore rocky DH starting at 11000 feet (in the the La Sal mtns) to 4000 feet with tons of step up/step downs, rock gardens and high speed rollers and tons of trail that wants to break your bike... and after almost 5 hours of riding I came off the trail tired and smiling like a camel on Wednesday (hump daayyy!) not only did I out descend my buddy on his 6" travel Giant Trance 29er! he had fork issues, dropper post issues, dropped his chain and got some scratches!
I came out with only getting a flat tire which almost every rider did as well...btw there were about 50 other riders that shuttled up at the same time we did... it was like an Enduro race for the first 2 miles!
2 more days of heavy riding and being strapped to the back of a Toyota landcruiser four wheeling on gemini Bridges during a rain day... and all that happened was some rub marks from the racks

Bottom line this is an awesome FS Design and I am a specialized fan and have been for a while (although my last employer wouldn't allow us to own Specialized) with having a 10' Epic Comp 29er before this... its a real trail bike!

Good Job guys and keep it up, I might even fork out the cash for the Carbon Roval Wheels to make up for my fat slowness! But it will be hard to talk me out of Chris King LW built so we'll see.

Favorite Trail:   Whole Enchilada, Moab UT

Purchased At:   Rock n Road Irvine C

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic Comp

Bike Setup:   28psi tire pressure, 205 lbs rider weight, size large for 5'9 rider

Submitted by jman29 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2013

Strengths:    Great on downhills, good climbing, little bobbing when you pedal

Weaknesses:    Rear shock

Bottom Line:
I have owned this great bike for about 1 year now and I love it. This bike will tackle pretty much anything you throw at it, and will definitely better your riding. This bike is exceptional at climbing, and descending allowing you to take it everywhere.

First, descending this bike is good at this due to a good fork, great brakes, and the large wheels allowing you to ride over anything. The recon fork moves through its travel in a very smooth way, and this fork also has a lockout function which is very useful. The breaks on this bike are pretty good, but they take a while to be worn in to get rid of noise. The 29 inch wheels allow you to ride over a lot more than a 26er. The only problem with descending on this bike is the rear shock. I weigh about 190 pounds and I broke some internal part of the shock on a 4 foot drop. I have also blown 2 seals on this shock, and I will be replacing it shortly.

This bike performs well on climbs because of the suspension lockout, and the 29 inch wheels. The lockout function allows you to maximize your climbs, by increasing your pedalling efficiency. Also this bike has superb traction allowing you to climb anything.

Best wishes
-Justin

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Sporting Life

Submitted by Kyle a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2012

Strengths:    Very good climber for a full suspension, I can't really notice bobbing, stiff frame, very comfortable decender too.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy

Bottom Line:
This is my first 29er, coming off a Trek EX 8, and I am very impressed with the bike. I would have given it a 5 overall but i had a brake failure after about 5 hours of ride time.

I'm impressed with the performance of the relatively low end components, everything performs very well, with the exception of that brake failure.

I would recommend this bike to anyone who wants to get into a full suspension 29er. But if you have a little larger budget, i'd definitely step up in the model lineup

Favorite Trail:   Cuyuna Lakes in Crosby MN

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   LBS Thurman's Bike a

Similar Products Used:   2009 Trek Fuel EX 8
2009 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL

Bike Setup:   Stock!

Submitted by James a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing, Shifting, Rolling Resistance, Front Shock

Weaknesses:    Black paint scratches easy. Slight brake squeak.

Bottom Line:
I am very new to mountain biking. I have been riding 4 weeks. But before that, the last time I rode a mountain bike was in high school about 14 years ago. But within these 4 weeks I have ridden the 2012 Stump Jumper Carbon 29er, 2012 Epic Carbon 29er, and a friends Trek 26er.

I ride with two guys that have far superior in cost 26er bike one of them being the 2012 Specialized Enduro and a Rockey Mountain Carbon. This bike kills them both on the up hill. The 29 inch wheels just have far superior rolling resistance. Me and my friends will enter the hill at the same speed, but the 29er just carries more speed up hill. Also the geometry is awesome. When I demoed the 2012 Stump Jumper, I would have to lean forward during climbs. This made the up hill very uncomfortable. So when I first jumped on the camber to climb, I noticed the geo allowed me to sit up straight like I was riding flat. This is huge because I can control the steering to avoid obstacles to take cleaner lines up the trail. Up hill is phenomenal.

Components are respectable. Shifters are good for beginner because they have indicators to help you keep your chain relatively straight. Brakes are adequate but I have started to hear some noise from the front brake while power braking. Regular braking is just fine. XT rear derailleur is rock solid. Tires hold the trail as good as those 5K bikes I demoed. I run 40 PSI and find that it works perfect. Front fork is excellent at 110 mm of travel. This may not sound like much but with it being a 29er, more than need for singe track XC that I normally ride.

Downhill is fun and exciting. Full suspension is nice but surely not required. The full suspension just makes sitting on the seat during downhill a little more comfortable. But that translates into speed. I am right on the heals and sometime in the lead compared to my friend's Enduro.

This is a very cost effective bike. Retails for 2200 but I negotiated mine down to 1800. And at that price, I could buy two of them before I got one Stump Jumper Carbon 29er. You will not regret this purchase. More expensive bikes will envy your speed.

Favorite Trail:   Curt Gowdy, Wy