Scott Spark 930 29er Full Suspension

• Fork: FOX 32 Float 29 Evolution CTD Air, 100mm
  • Group set: Sram X7/Shimano
  • Brakes: Shimano BR-M596 Disc
  • Parts: Syncros FL1.5
  • Wheels: Syncros XR 2.5 29''

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight with good flexibility on riding style. Feels much plusher than 4" travel bike. With the light weight, locked out feels like a very plush hard tail. Great frame and fork, allows for upgrades later to components. Full open the suspension is great on the climbs. Loose some efficiency but have great addition of traction and I haven't noted any kickback.

Weaknesses:    Pedal bob in certain gearing combos in descend mode. Somewhat finicky to setup and have to get your air pressure just right to balance front from rear. Stretched out racing posture, so if you are looking for upright seating the Genius or similar are more your bikes. Stock rims and wheel setup is heavy and flexy for a bike in this price range.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike!!! Read a lot of reviews and test rode a number of other bikes. This may not be the greatest design for set it and forget it, but I really love it. Came from an aluminum frame hardtail 26er so for what that is worth, the gripes about pedal bob and small bump harshness compared to that are nothing. I love it and feel that it is probably all I need.

I"m 6'3" and weigh about 195. With setup of DT swiss shock, noticed that if sag was as recommended front and back, front is a little harsher than rear. Lots of pine roots here and I feel them hit the front wheel but not the back. Have to check to see if I actually ran over it. Run the front fox a little softer. If pressure is set perfect in descend mode, trail will be pretty firm. Plushness in Trail = too soft in descend. Compared to my hardtail, lockout mode is very much not locked out. Still a little bit of give. I leave the rear tire a little soft so it compliments the trail mode running 30 psi approximately. The price I paid was well worth it and could still upgrade to fox rear shock later for less than the 14 model.

Favorite Trail:   San Felasco State Park

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Yeti sb-95 comp, Giant Trance, Niner RIP 9

Bike Setup:   Only upgrades are silicone grips and water bottle cage. Changed the rear end to 142x12 through and had the good fortune that the shop upgraded me to syncros 2.0 rims from spark 910. Straight pull spokes are awesome and wheels are a vast improvement as they were the weak link in the ride.

Submitted by Simon

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2014

Strengths:    Ride comfort and stiffness
Light and easy to throw around

Weaknesses:    Having to give my mates a go on it which reduces my time on it.

Bottom Line:
Have recently upgraded from a 26inch Scott hardtail to this....and there is no comparison.

The stand-out feature is the ride comfort delivered via the new rear shock. Tried last years version and the new version is so much more responsive. Combined with Scott’s Twinloc system, it gives a great flexible ride in all instances plus improves pedaling efficiency. Not being the most advanced rider, the 'pre selected' settings provide great solution.

As for the frame, it retains Scott's standard for lightness and stiffness and whilst it doesn't make you go faster - gees it looks good.

Overall two thumbs up!!

Submitted by JD

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2014

Strengths:    Quickness, agility, and handling. The wheelset, even though a bit on the weighty side, roll incredibly fast. Also, the Fox CTD suspension system is awesome...once you get used to it.

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket. I find myself hitting the pedals on turns that I was handling on my RM Element 26'er with no problem. Once I got use to it, no problem, but first couple rides were aggravating.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, and the deal that I got from Ride Bikes in Charleston, SC was incredible. I could not be happier with the ride, even with the low bottom bracket (me thinks this makes the handling better).

Favorite Trail:   Antying at Tsali

Purchased At:   Ride Bikes in Charle

Similar Products Used:   Yeti F.R.O., Rocky Mountain Element

Bike Setup:   Stock (OK, I added a H2O cage.

Submitted by Lando a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2013

Strengths:    Improvements from 2012 model are outstanding and expected. Spark has the latest tech. avaliable. It's like owning 3 bikes in one all on the same trail, shock tech its revalutionary. This bike is ready to race. My first all carbon frame and it feels great. I'm riding it as hard as it will go and no problems. Biggest drop yet 3 feet and im 195lbs.

Weaknesses:    26.9 lbs with pedals out of the shop, not weak but just a heads up with minor improvements sub 25 is easy. I hate buying a top end bikes and companies putting heavy sub par wheels on, they all do it!!!
Expensive up grade but will be a must over time to easily drop 1Lb, on 29er wheel weight ratio bike should handle insanly better.

Bottom Line:
This is my first XC bike in 10years of all mtn and free ride flying. The spark wants to go fast up and down. Its handles the so cal rocky tight mountain single track with little effort. This bike soaks up and rolls over most anything. The 3 different shock postion adjustments on the fly are easy to use. It will keep going up as long as u keep pedaling. I had no idea XC could be this fun.

Favorite Trail:   Knoble cyn