Scott Spark 920 29er Full Suspension

• Fork: FOX 32 Float 29 Evolution CTD Air, 100mm
  • Group set: Shimano XT
  • Brakes: Shimano SLX
  • Parts: Syncros FL1.5
  • Wheels: Syncros XR 2.5 29''

Submitted by Joe_prog

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2014

Strengths:    Twin-loc system, short wheelbase, CTD fork, light weight for a full suspension bike

Weaknesses:    can't find the exact perfect setting for the shock, trigger shifters seem a little unrefined at this price point.

Bottom Line:
My 2006 Rocky ETSX 70 was getting a little long in the tooth, so I decided to start looking for a 29er. So, after buying a hard tail 29er, I realized those things were a non-starter. Anyway, after much looking around, it came down to this bike, the Scott 930 or a Scalpel 29er 3. I think I made the right choice. The carbon frame damps some of the trail vibration that aluminum frames seem to transmit. After a few hours on the trail, it starts to add up. Also, I like having aluminum rear suspension. A while back, some gorilla ran over my girlfriend on her bike and I had to repair the chainstay (I love Youtube!). For daily use, aluminum makes more sense for rear suspension and it's not much of a weight penalty.

The 920 has better components than the 930. For me, this makes the bike worth the extra money.

When I picked the bike up from the shop, the guy that assembled the bike said that he set this bike up just like his. He said he weighed 170lbs. However, It was set up with way too much damping in the open (descend) setting. This made the trail setting seem like it was locked out. I changed the settings to gain some compliance in trail mode. Specifically, I set the shock damping to the minimum setting and the fork damping to 9 clicks out. That way, when twin-loc is set on the middle setting, the suspension moves when passing over roots, ruts and the like. It's still stiff, just not jarring. This also helps a bit with bunny-hopping. The suspension doesn't suck all of the effort out of the hop. Next, I touched up the cable adjustments a teeny bit on the shock and the fork for just the right amount of propedal. Those adjustments are linear, not stair steps. Tiny adjustments where the cable meets the suspension component make noticeable changes in the resistance. Together, the changes made a night and day difference in the bike. Now, the bike is much much more responsive on the trail. I no longer feel "home sick" for my old rocky as the Scott now rocks.

I've read some reviews that discussed the nude shock and how it needs to be replaced or whatever. I can see how the reviewer might be unhappy at first. My rocky has a Fox RP3 that was tuned and it was great. In this case, I think maybe the reviewer(s) didn't spend enough time working with the propedal adjustment. Or maybe, they just want more adjustability in their suspension. For me, the shock is 99% perfect. The only thing I wish it had was an additional 'click' on the damping so I could tune out a little less. Just to see if I liked it or not. Just picking a nit here...

A few more things. The damping rod in the fork broke on my way to my first trail. Really nice guys at the shop I bought it from worked with Fox to get a 2014 damping cartridge for the fork. While I couldn't say how well the old one worked (never actually got to ride it!), I can say the current one is great!

The twin-loc system works as advertised. When riding to and from my local trail, I can lock everything out with just a push on the lever. Same thing when I encounter steep climbs. I no longer have to stop or contort to reach the shock or fork. I just push the lever and keep riding, very cool. It seemed like a gimmick at first, but now I see the genius of it. Thanks Scott.

On my old rocky, I had the dual control levers and XTR rapid rise derailleur. The Scott uses a standard XT derailleur and slx triggers. I really like the clutch feature on the XT rear derailleur. Seems to help cut down on chain slap. While I'm not sure how others feel about their controls, I would definitely buy dual control levers and a rapid rise derailleur if they were offered using current technology (clutch, 10 speeds, etc.)

The SLX brakes are very grabby. Until I got used to the initial bite, I was over braking. A couple of times, when I encountered some elderly people on my local trail (yep, confusing...) I went over the handlebars, two times! @#$!. After bedding in, the brakes are now a little more linear. Maybe if there were some long downhills in the area, I could have done a better job of breaking them in.

Last but not least, I'm 6' tall, weigh 165lbs with a 32" inseam. The bike was set up almost perfect except the stem was too short. This made the front end seem twitchy and the bars were just a bit too close. I purchased a 100mm stem and now the bike seems much more natural. It's a very small difference that paid off big time. If you're not completely comfortable on your bike, you should do whatever it takes to fix that.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the Scott. It's extremely maneuverable on the trail, the brakes are very strong with good feeling, the shifting works ok (triggers...) the suspension is really really good. If you can get a good deal on one, I'm sure you'll love it.

Submitted by lowland29er a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2013

Strengths:    Weight, stand over height, nimble handling and great value.

Weaknesses:    Twin lock a bit hard to push

Bottom Line:
Purchased the bike about 6 months ago, was a little worried about the slack head tube angle as I have a preference for quick steering bikes, once out on the trail I was blown away! The short chain stays must contribute to the quick steering, I was able to throw the bike around like a 26er but with the great ride of 29er wheels. I am using the higher position for the bb and so far have not had the desire to try the lower position just yet. The bike is very adaptable to terrain and riding preferences so I find my very fun cannondale f29er is seeing less and less trail time.
My only wish for the bike is perhaps something already improved on the 2014 models, a platform valved rear shock , the dt nude shock is not bad but find that perfect setting a bit elusive.

Favorite Trail:   Double lake , Coldspring Tx

Purchased At:   Planetary Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Niner jet 9 , Giant anthem 29er carbon, Cannondale Scalpel, Canondale F29er , Pivot Mach 429 and more.

Bike Setup:   XX1 crank, XO brakes, American Classic race tubeless wheels, racing Rons , Ritchey carbon post, Bebop pedals 22.75 lbs!!!

Submitted by Jonathan a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing ability, weight vs price

Weaknesses:    None as of now

Bottom Line:
Great bike this was my first 29er and wow! I did my fastest ride on my local trail. The ctd remote worked wonders, you can get out of the saddle and go

Favorite Trail:   All