Scott Spark 29 Elite 29er Full Suspension

3.4/5 (5 Reviews)

The Spark 29 Elite is a full suspension aluminum 29er with a Shimano XT/SLX drivetrain which is lightweight, durable, affordable and retains all the great geometry and ride of its carbon cousins.

• Frame: Spark 29 alloy 6061
  • Fork: Rock Shox Reba 29 RL air, lockout, 100mm
  • Shock: DT Swiss M210 ABS, Lockout, 100mm
  • Group set: Shimano XT / SLX
  • Brakes: Avid Elixir 5S disc

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by cyety a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2014

Strengths:    The frame is strong.

Weaknesses:    Rear derailleur keeps shifting

Bottom Line:
    I guess it's not the bike fault because I asked if I would be too bike for the bike and they said no. I been having nothing but problems with this bike. The front wheel folded up in me when I was going down a hill, the rear part of the frame cracked on me when I was riding after I got the front wheel fixed. The rear derailleur keeps shifting when I climb, I got tired of taking it back the the shop because it's like throwing away my money. So now I'm looking into a bike that has more travel like the 2008 Specialized Endruo I had before but a 29 style. I do like the bike but it's not for me.

Submitted by Sockman11 a Weekend Warrior from Canton, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Strengths:    The bike rides and handles great in turns and is a very smooth ride. Nice setup on the Components for the price. Brakes, shifters are a nice compliment to the cranks, pedals and derailleur setup. Everything seems to flow great together. The lockout system works great and helps on longer climbs. The color scene of the bike as well as the handle bars, saddle and seat post look great with the Scott paint and labeling. The stock tires Schwalbe Rocket Rons stick like glue. Also, fairly light bike for a full suspension 29er.

Weaknesses:    I wasn't crazy about the Alex XC-49 rims that come with the bike. They seem a little cheap and heavy, so I upgraded mine to Stan's ZTR EX Arch wheelset and seems to make a hugh improvement.

Bottom Line:
    The Scott Spark 29er Elite is a great bike for the price, and perfectly durable and strong enough to handle a variety of situations. This bike is great for the weekend warrior or for that 3-4 hour long ride. I was looking for the expert (carbon), but I'm glad I went with the Elite and even saved several hundred of dollars even after upgrading the wheels. I would highly recommend this bike. You get a lot of bang for the bucks with this ride. I would give the Elite a five star rating if it had better stock wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Similar Products Used:   Trek Superfly

Bike Setup:   2012 Scott Spark 29er Elite

Submitted by CYETO a Weekend Warrior from NMB, Fl. USA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2012

Strengths:    The 29er is a very strong strength because I handle the trails much better. You feel safe on the bike and the handling is quick. The speed is impressive and climbing ability is great with the lock out so it's like a hardtail with some plush.

Weaknesses:    I did hit the pedals when I got to the top of the hill but did not do it when I locked out. I think the 100mm is not enough for me but with the right psi I think it's ok but maybe a 120mm front fork would have been better.

Bottom Line:
    I really like this bike, it's fast stable and light. Granted no bike if perfect but this one fits the bill for me. I'm a big guy at 5'11" 255lbs for a bike to hold me as I zoom throught the trails I can't complain at all. I will upgrade some stuff later but as for now I'm a happy camper so if you were every thinking about going to 29er I say go for it and check out this bike because it is very sweer.

Purchased At:   Alex Bikes Shop

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er but I did look at the Stumpjumper 29er, Tallboy 29er

Bike Setup:   All stocked

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Boracay Island, Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2012

Strengths:    If you consider all the parts you're getting the bike is reasonably priced. The nice thing here is that the whole bike is pretty light for an aluminum frame, mine is exactly 29 lbs (13.18 kg). You get good value for your money because of the nice geometry and durability Scott frames have.

Rockshox Reba RL 100mm fork works well with the Scott's Twinlock System.
    Alex XC-49 rims + Schwalbe Rocket Ron Tires with are light and grips extremely well.
    Avid 5s hydraulic brakes does its job and are pretty reliable.

Weaknesses:    The spokes of the tires aren't balanced when it came out of the box for both wheels, I needed to re-adjust the spokes.
    DT Swiss M210 is too soft and doesn't really lock if engaged using the Scott Twinlock System.
    The front and rear hubs are just satisfactory. I will change mine sometime soon.

Bottom Line:
    If you're a little tight on the budget and doesn't really go to extremes when in comes to off-road biking, this bike is comfortable and can get you through rough terrain and roads well. It's good enough for an everyday commute to work (in my case I pass by a rough road everyday), or short 2 hr trails should be alright. If you're serious about riding in trails or is a bit on the heavy side (90kg and up), you should consider changing the rear shock. If you're brand conscious, consider replacing the SLX parts to make it a full XT bike.

Consider buying the Spark 29 Pro if you're serious performance.

Bike Setup:   changed the saddle, pedals and grips.

Submitted by Carl a Cross Country Rider from cape town South Africa

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Strengths:    Like all previous Dual sus scotts, remote lockout a big plus. Bike also delivers on downhills. no compromise in the single track as i was told to expect with the bigger wheels. wheels are close enough for tight cornering.

Weaknesses:    The forks are terrible. so much flex in the front as to be dangerous. I know the elite is specced to be more affordable, but these forks simply do not work. I had to upgrade to a way more expensive brand to get the most from this bike. also apgraded wheels and ended up spending a lot more at end of day than I innitially saved by going with the 'bargain' version of the spark range.

Bottom Line:
    This bike needed a significant amount of tweeking to get it right. really cheap forks and wheels needed to be replaced. once done though, it performs beautifully and allows for really fun 2/3 hour rides in a range of ridin g conditions.

Purchased At:   action cycles