Scott Genius 920 29er Full Suspension

The all new Genius 920 features a totally re-designed frame optimized for 29" wheels. The HMF carbon frame is offered in 130mm travel and high end component spec. This is THE ultimate Big Wheeled Trail bike.

• Frame: Genius 29 Carbon HMF
  • Fork: FOX 32 Float Evolution
  • Shock: Scott DT Nude2, 3 modes, 130-90-Lockout
  • Group: Shimano XT / SLX
  • Brakes: Shimano SLX
  • Parts: Syncros 1.5 Serie
  • Wheels: Syncros TR 2.5 29"

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by J.P. a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs like a Billy goat, rolls over everything, awesome power transfer on sprints, twin-lock switch works seamlessly, Fox CTD fork, sweet fram design, bury looking in person for a XC/Trail bike, nice paint work, and has a bullet proof drivetrain.

Weaknesses:    Not sure about the DT Nude 2 shock. Rides super stiff for a 130mm bike. It almost feels like an XC bike, so it's not as plush as I expected. WTF are those Schwalbe Nobby Nics knockoffs? Constant flats from those crappy tires....replace! Takes time to dial in suspension to get the bike to excell on the downhills.

Bottom Line:
    I've had this bike for about a month now I'm super impressed so far. I've been riding the pants off a 26er Santa Cruz Heckler for the last four years and wanted to try something new. I was looking for a faster better climbing bike that could still take some serious abuse. I could not commit to a 100mm XC bike and found myself looking for a 130mm 29er. I decided on the Scott because of the twin-lock and beefy looking frame. Some tester found it distracting to use, but that's a bunch of pretentious BS. After three rides you get used to using it and learn when flip the switch to destroy the climbs. Scott chose a nice component group and I'm especially impressed with SLX brakes and the Syncros/DT Swiss wheels. It's not the lightest bike out there, but when your pounding through the trails it feels nimble and fast. I was also impressed by the rigidity of the frame. Once I get the suspension dialed, I think it'll be a perfect all around trail slayer. Good job Scott!

Duration Product Used:   One month

Purchased At:   Down Cycles

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first 29er!

Submitted by Alex

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2013

Strengths:    This bike loves flowing single track with berms and jumps and it tracks beautifully. The suspension feels very plush and deep off drops. The geometry is good and gets over log rolls with ease/no scraping on the rings yet. It rides quietly so far with no obvious additional noises after 500km. This grade of the bike works well with: reliable braking, fast no fuss efficient gear changes, light/stiff frame that does not wander just goes where you point it.

Weaknesses:    Front Fox CTD fork does not always lock out unless the twin lock is pushed into lock position quickly rather than smoothly. However I am mostly using trail and descent anyway.
    I snapped the seat off the bike on the first hard offroad ride - no idea how but, I suspect the rails were not put into the seat properly at the factory as there was no way to get them back in.
    Scott should offer this bike in 920 set up on wider rims which are more in keeping with the tyres/bikes eventual use. I had no stiffness issues with the original rims which were quite light but, there was tyre squirm to a degree at off road pressures so I had the rims changed to ZTR Flow rims and went tubeless which has further beefed up the traction.
    Probably should be sold with a seat dropper - I am not at the stage where I really need one but will likely upgrade it with one in coming months.

Bottom Line:
    I'm a 95kg 175cm weekend warrior getting back into biking after a 6 year break - I chose the medium frame which suits me fine. I ride 90% single track in the Perth hills WA on loose gravel mainly with some hard pack dirt plenty rough rocky technical sections. This bike inspires confidence and after about 500km has me feeling quite relaxed/comfortable even when I am out of my depth. The bike is stiff and tracks well plus being relatively light responds well to body english. The trees here are close to the track so I have shortened the bars a little and also ride it in the high position on the rear chip. The minor tweaks and adjustments to shock pressures have resulted in a very smooth and capable bike which will keep me hooked on MTB riding for years to come.

29ers- New Trek Fuel EX9 vs Stumpy Elite vs Scott Genius 920 vs ???

Looking for a new bike in the $3500-4000 range. Have ridden the Stumpy and really liked it. Looking to ride the Trek and the Genius this week. I'm looking for a bike that is as light as possible and climbs as well as it descends. Want it to be as quick and flick-able as possible too. Intrig ... Read More »