Santa Cruz Tallboy LT 29er Full Suspension

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2014

Strengths:    Great do-it-all bike
VPP makes climbs and descents more fun

Weaknesses:    Collett Bolts on upper suspension weak
Shattered SLX freehub body
Lower Link Exposed to possible damage
Not the best components on lower builds

Bottom Line:
I demoed the LT from a local shop for a week followed by the regular Tallboy and couldn't go back to my hardtail. I have logged close to 2000 miles now and can't say enough about how much l love this bike. I live in New England and mostly ride XC trails but I'm always looking for jumps, drops, rocks, and stuff to throw myself off on the side of the trail. I could only afford one bike and needed something that could keep up with my XC buddies on the local group rides, but also be able to enjoy rock gardens, roots, and mild freeride stuff (Vietnam, Otis, etc). This bike ended up being a perfect combination of all of those things. It's efficient enough for XC rides but has enough travel to handle 3' drops, smaller jumps, and the technical stuff you can find in New England without breaking a sweat. Even handled some minor downhill duty cutting through Burke Bike Park while at Kingdom Trails (though I would much rather be on smaller wheels for that usually).

My only complaints I could make are the poor components on the lower builds and the bolts on the upper pivot linkage. I shattered 2 freehub bodies in 6 months before Shimano finally just gave me the Ti body from an XTR hub. In the end I built a whole new wheelset and have the stock wheels as a backup that I pray I never have to use. I also have snapped the collett bolt on the upper suspension linkage twice now which involves having to buy a $50 kit since Santa Cruz doesn't sell that part individually.

Overall these are minor complaints and still would recommend this bike to anyone looking for a great bike that can handle any terrain you can throw at it.

Duration Product Used:   2+ Years

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Bike Setup:   Fox Factory Fork
Evolution Rear shock
XT Drivetrain
KS Lev Dropper
Easton Haven Carbon Bars
Derby Carbon Rims with Hadley Hubs

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!