Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 29er Full Suspension

When it came time for Santa Cruz to update its venerable Tallboy, change came in the form of a revised suspension platform and a reduction in weight. But, it's worth noting that carbon didn't receive all of the attention. Instead, Santa Cruz's Tallboy 2 R XC Complete Bike sees the same updates as...

Submitted by alex a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2013

Strengths:    Kudos to Santa Cruz for making a small version of their highly regarded Tallboy. As a small rider, I took the small Tallboy 2 on a test ride. It was nice and responsive.

Weaknesses:    The small Tallboy 2 has a short wheelbase and a short distance from the center of the crankset hub to the center of the front wheel hub. This results in serious pedal overlap and is a design flaw that will frustrate small riders on twisty singletrack. Bike manufacturers often just scale down the larger versions of their bikes to make a bike that does not work well in a small size. After years of riding many poorly designed small cross country trail bikes with this problem, and test riding several bikes, I got a Trek Fuel EX which has no pedal overlap at all on the small version and is great cross country trail bike.

Bottom Line:
Santa Cruz makes very nice bikes but I would recommend that small riders avoid the small version of this bike unless you want to suffer from aggravating pedal overlap through every tight turn.

There are a variety of ways to cope with pedal overlap such as clipping in and riding with your foot well back on the pedal but this is a biomechanical compromise that can cause performance and/or physical problems, especially on rough trails and if you ride a lot. I hate clipping in and enjoy the freedom of moving my foot around on flat pedals so over the years I coped in part by getting customized cranks shortened down to 153mm. After I got used to them, I LOVE my short cranks and would never go back to longer cranks even though I no longer need them on my Trek. Contrary to popular opinion, short cranks do not result in less power. The actually give more power per pedal stroke due to the biomechanical advantage they give you. If this idea intrigues you, you can investigate the pros and cons further at www.bikesmithdesign.com. I have no connection to the gentleman who owns this business other than being a satisfied customer.

Duration Product Used:   One test ride

Similar Products Used:   Many different brands and models of small cross country trail bikes over the past 10 years.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX

Submitted by Guillermo Vargas

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2013

Strengths:    Estabilidad, control, rigidez, rapidez, tracción, confort, componentes.

Weaknesses:    Ninguna en particular.

Bottom Line:
Las 29er son una delicia, y esta Tallboy 2 carbón es perfecta. Durante 15 años usé 26 doble suspensión. Pensé mucho pasarme a 29er y no me arrepiento. Sé que en materia de gustos no hay nada escrito, tenía una Blur XC -carbón- y ahora con la Tallboy no me arrepiento de nada. Me tómo un poco de tiempo ir descubriendo sus cualidades y cada vez me sorprende más. El único cambio que hice fue poner un plato 22t adelante en lugar del 24t que trae el XT. Puedo decir que es un avión al que si algo puede faltarle a veces, es piloto!

Submitted by Craig Abplanalp a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Light, stiff and stable at all speeds. Appreciate the 12mm x 142mm update, pivot hardware, grease ports, cable management and build quality.

Weaknesses:    I'm size XL. Put a 180mm front rotor on size L and above. An easy change but redundant and wasteful getting the larger rotor and brake adapters. Very little else to complain about, just a Clydesdale looking for a bigger rotor.

Bottom Line:
Just over 250 miles on the new TBC2. Find myself losing track of time and riding comfortably for hours. Not as initially quick as my carbon hard-tail but deceptively fast over longer efforts and far more comfortable and confidence inspiring when the terrain becomes challenging.

Roots, rocks gardens and loose obstacles are easily negotiated at any speed, really well balanced and stable. While I don't believe there is a perfect bike for all riding conditions this one is really good at most.

Favorite Trail:   The last one I rode, no joke!

Duration Product Used:   Three Weeks

Purchased At:   Veloce Velo | Mercer

Similar Products Used:   Maverick ML7, Maverick ML8, Ibis Mojo HD, Scott Scale 910

Bike Setup:   Tallboy 2 Carbon with Shimano XT kit /SPXXC29 package with Fox Float Kashima upgrade.
Full XT group 3x10 drivetrain
Changed to:
Easton Havoc Carbon Bar | Replaced stock carbon Easton Bar. Both excellent just personal preference.
Easton XC-90 Carbon Wheelset | Great upgrade to any bike.

Tallboy 2 or LT for East Coast

Hey folks, Wondering if anybody has any suggestions for the type of tallboy to get for all mountain riding on the east coast. I like the nimble feel of the tallboy but would the lt be more suited to the rocky/rooty riding of the east coast? Thanks in advanceRead More »

Intense Spider 29er Comp OR Santa Cruz Tallboy 2?

Hi, I'm kindly asking for input and opinions on these two relatively comparable 29" Carbon Frame Bikes and hoping the mtbr community could help. I've been riding the Santa Cruz Blur for some time now and really like their VPP Design and would like to continue on that path for my first 29er. ... Read More »

Anyone ridden the new Tallboy 2 yet?

The new Tallboy 2 is said to have revised suspension pivot points that improve pedaling efficiency and provide a more linear spring rate. It is also said to be stiffer and lighter. I was just wondering if anyone here has ridden one and can actually tell a significant difference.Read More »

Tallboy 2 or Ripley?

So many nice bikes this year, every time I think I have it figured out something else pops up. I thought I wanted the Spider Comp then the SB95 came out, thought I wanted that then the Ripley came out, thought I needed that and now the Tallboy2. All awesome bikes, what are your favorites and why?Read More »

Santa Crus Tallboy 2 Unveiled

[url=http://reviews.mtbr.com/santa-cruz-tallboy-2-unveiled]Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 Unveiled | Mountain Bike Review[/url] So... how much is this going to hurt the value of the Tallboy 1?Read More »