Rocky Mountain Instinct 950 29er Full Suspension

With 130mm of SmoothLink rear travel and RIDE-9 adjustable geometry, the Instinct caters to all-day epic riders wanting a more capable bike when things get rough. With RIDE-9, the rider can tune the ride to suit anything from pure cross-country riding to heavy-duty trail riding. Making a longer travel 29er that mows down trails is one thing, but it has to pedal and climb well too. That’s why we carefully selected the suspension and parts packages to favour efficiency and light weight. Add that to the pedal neutral SmoothLink suspension and incredibly stiff ABC pivots, and the Instinct is no one trick pony.

Submitted by Tom Munro a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2014

Strengths:    Ride9 - Awesome adjustability
SLX Brakes and Shifters are faultless
Continental MountainKing tires are excellent on the trail.
Internal cable routing

Just a nice bike to ride, climbs really well and with 130mm travel it eats up the downhill trails. Very surprised how well it handles technical steep downhill single track especially with the dropper post it kills my old 26er.

Happy with the price considering specs and including dropper and remote lockout all for NZ$5,000 or US$4,200 from LBS.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Weighs in at 14kg or 31 pounds including my LEV Integra Dropper Post I added on to it and added remote lock out to the rear shock.

I was really weight conscious when looking for a bike but once I rode this bike weight didn't come into it. This bike pops over anything and is easy to handle.

Bottom Line:
Took me 2 or 3 rides to really get it setup for me and get used to the 29er. Adjusted the Ride9 setting a couple of times and have to set perfectly for my riding now.

This bike is so comfortable to ride, did a 70km (4.5 hour) ride last weekend and my normal back pain I usually get riding after an hour on my old bike wasn't there and i felt great, apart from exhaustion.

This bike has XT Rear and SLX front derailleur with SLX brakes, shifters, cassette and hubs. Really happy with the spec.

Added a LEV Integra dropper post which is great all internally routed. Also added remote lockout to the rear shock which is brilliant.

I was concerned about going to a 29er from a 26er but I have never looked back.

Don't let the weight of this bike put you off, this bike is fantastic.

Duration Product Used:   400km

Purchased At:   Bike Inc - Timaru Ne

Submitted by Pman

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2013

Strengths:    -Incredible allround ability both up and down.
-Great spec for the money. CTD works a treat.
-Ride 9 rocks!

Weaknesses:    -A little heavy in original spec, but don't notice it on the trail.
-Avid brakes can be noisy, however they have more than enough modulation and power.

Bottom Line:
I've come off a Yeti 575 for last 6 years, and like many, I resisted the 29 wagon wheels for a long time writing it off to a fad. It wasn't until the Yeti frame gave up after years of joy that I ended up with a great deal on this bike. Whoa - what a difference for the XC/trail stuff I ride. 12 Strava PR's on my first ride and was taking it easy! Another 12 on my next! It just seems to flow on anything with ease, both up and down. These new generation long travel 29's are so playful, I've had no regrets coming off a 26'er. You won't be disappointed with this bike.

Instinct 950 or Element 950

I'm just eyeing up getting a FS bike after a few years away from them. Still loving my Vertex RSL but the number of bike you have is never enough so the itch has to be scratched! I'm just going for a test ride tomorrow on a niner Jet 9 as the dealer hasn't got a demo rocky in but he says that I'l ... Read More »

2012 Element 970 or 2013 Instinct 950

I've norrowed my search down to 2 bikes - 2012 Element 970 and 2013 Instinct 950. I can get them both for about the same price. Has anyone ridden both? Any thoughts on which is better would be appreciated. I am a big guy (6'6" 235 pounds) who will do the occasional race but will mostly ride the trai ... Read More »

Anyone Ridden the 2013 Rocky Mountain Instinct 950

I am looking at purchasing a 2013 Rocky Mountain Instinct 950. Has anyone out there ridden this bike? If so, what are your thoughts? How do you like the Ride 9?Read More »