Rocky Mountain Element 970 RSL 29er Full Suspension

Sharing the exact same SmoothWall carbon front and rear end as the 999 RSL, Element 970 RSL features Fox’s new Dual Remote CTD suspension on both ends of the bike. A full Shimano XT parts kit also graces the bike, which looks like jewelry and instills total confidence for many, many rides to come.

Submitted by Rui.Cardoso a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2013

Strengths:    The geometry of this bike is amazing: point it up and the rear end will take you through the roughest climbs (you still need to provide the power tough). Point it down and the bike makes you a better/faster rider with lots of confidence to roll over every sorts of obstacles and to handle sharp turns at speeds that did not seam possible before. Make mistakes and see how much the bike can cover for that and save you from hitting the ground hard.

29'er wheels go as unnoticed as they should: The advantages are there, but I don't feel any of the usually mentioned disadvantages. In fact this bike handles everything better than my previous Scott Spark 26".

I do really like the looks of the bike (not sure if this is an advantage tough). I'm 1m83 and the L size with the stock stem is a perfect fit for me.

Except for the tires, the stock configuration was already more than I could ask for. With better wheels and another Front Fork (a matter of taste), this might become the only MTB I'll need for many years to come!...

Weaknesses:    The Fox CTD Fork: Had to be serviced in order to get the whole CTD thing to work, but the Trail mode is still too soft and does not really provide a firm pedaling platform (like the one the Magura Durin SL I had in my previous bike). While racing I see myself having to use the remote lever and go into Climb mode whenever I want to sprint out of turn or when rolling fast through fire roads in order to avoid the fork to bob and steal some of the power I'm trying to put down (ideally I should be using trail mode for this in order to have a firm pedaling platform while still being able to handle eventual trail irregularities - btw the rear end is perfect in this regard).

The wheels: Probably too heavy without any added robustness or handling advantage. Rims are too narrow (18mm inner) and leak sealant if used with the stock rim tape (took the standard tape off, put a layer of electrical tape and a layer of No Tubes tape and they're fine now). This will definitely be my next upgrade.

Stock tires: I have nothing against Continental tires, but the versions that come with the bike are a joke: can't be mounted tubeless and even with tubes the sidewalls did not resist my 1'st 100 km (I'm not an aggressive rider, but ancient trails in Portugal can be really rough on tires). At this price tag I'd expect getting the Protection version of the tires to start with.

Wheels and tires are the reason why I'm not giving this a 5 in Value Rating.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for 5 months and have ridden it for more than 2000 km, including several races here in Portugal and the Transrockies.

This bike really made me a betters rider: I'm more of a climber and the bike made me climb over some technical sections that were nearly impossible with my previous bikes and gives me the confidence to enjoy some downhills that caused me creeps in the past. Whenever I finish a ride, I'm already thinking of the next one and keep on pushing the boundaries of my (modest) technical abilities.

At the Transrockies I could really feel that the bike was really done for that kind of terrain, in fact at some points it felt like the bike was introducing me to it's roots! Here in Portugal, were the terrain is not always as technical the only situation were I'd say that the bike could do better is at rolling in gravel/fire roads, but this is mostly due to the front fork (Fox CTD) being too soft in trail mode and to hard in climb mode in order to handle this kind of terrain to my liking.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to mention...

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel, Scott Spark 26", Other 26'ers...

Bike Setup:   Enve Seatpost and Handlebars, ESI grips, XTR shifters, Specialized Phenom Pro Saddle, Hope Race X2 Brakes (w/shimano XTR ice tech rotors), Maxxis Ikon Rear and Ardent Race Front tires.

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2012

Strengths:    Accelerates very quickly for a dual suspension 29er, very maneuverable in tight spots, CTD suspension works like a charm once you get rebound, psi, etc to your liking, climbs well, descends amazingly and smooths out the rough parts of trails A LOT (been riding an aluminum HT for 2 years)

Weaknesses:    Thus far none, i meanif i had to get picky, the rotors are a little big for where i live but, havent got any complaints, best bike ive riden.

Bottom Line:
This bike so far has proven to be all its cracked up to be in magazine reviews for sure. Converted it to tubeless and cut the bars down and ita at 25lbs now. Very fun bike to ride, and hard to get off... This bike is for racers who want a comfortable yet efficient rig, especially longer races, or trail riders who simply want to go faster. B

Favorite Trail:   Santos, Ocala, Fl