Rocky Mountain Element 970 BC Edition 29er Full Suspension

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

The trails in British Columbia are arguably more treacherous and demanding than in most places. That’s why it’s common to see people riding super light XC bikes with longer travel forks, meatier tires, and dropper seatposts. For them, adding some heft in key places dramatically increases the rough-and-tumbleness without sacrificing much efficiency. The Element 970 BC Edition is our solution for riders who want a ridiculously capable trail destroyer right out of the box.

2013 Rocky Mountain Element RSL Carbon 29er Pro Review

In one of the more obviously logical moves for a company to make, Rocky Mountain Bicycles is introducing a line of carbon Element 29ers for the 2013 model year. It’s obvious because only last year RMB unveiled aluminium Element 29ers. Rocky was kind enough to make a production Rocky Element RSL 29er (the 970 BC Edition to be exact) available. I’ve ridden it now 6 times in the last 8 days so am obviously more than a bit content with its performance. Continue reading →

Submitted by Freditor a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs well, Descends well, good all day trail bike,

Weaknesses:    Fox 32's have been rubbish ! I have owned this bike for only 3 months for 1 month of that the Fork has been back to service supplier...CTD wasn't working..yay they fixed that..Talas would not release unless I got off the bike..what a pain! Fork has gone back to service agent..I hope they fix it this time or Im buying a new fork for my 7k+ bike..Also rear gear cable got caught between linkage and bent cable! looks like cable is too short..new cable installed..1 piece all the way..Internal cabling can be a pain...why no remote suspension control??

Bottom Line:
Still waiting to iron out the suspension bugs so have only managed 500k on the bike..it does most things well once dialled in to personal preferences..after using the 2X10 I feel it would have been a better option as it has jumped off a couple of times..hmm for 7k+ this bike has left me asking..why so much...its first race is coming up soon so it will be tested that will show me what its up to...

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper Evo, Camber 29r

Bike Setup:   Specialized Toupe 155 saddle, Shimano pedals, Kenda Nevegal 2.4 on the front, ODI grips...

Submitted by MBinPC a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2013

Strengths:    Suspension feel, descending, pedaling platform, quietness

Weaknesses:    Triple ring spec if that's not your thing.

Bottom Line:
I don't own this bike (so I don't have that bias) but have borrowed one for about 4 long rides now. I have ridden an Epic Expert 29, an SC Tallboy, and a Cannondale Scalpel 2 29 as well. This bike descends as well as the Tallboy and better than the other two. It corners and climbs a lot more like a race bike than I was expecting. The explosiveness of the acceleration does not quite match the Scalpel or Expert IMO but it's not far off and I have not optimized the suspension tune for me yet. Plus if you are someone who races occasionally but rides a lot or races long technical courses then I think this is the bike. For me I wish it came with the option for a 2x10 or 1x11 drivetrain and I would rather have the CTD controls on the bar like the regular 970 and operate a dropper post at the seat. But this is really probably personal preference. It's a great bike for people who like to go fast over a long distance with some tough terrain mixed in.

Favorite Trail:   one near Cortez CO, and all those out my door in Park City

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Purchased At:   Slim and Knobby's, H

Similar Products Used:   Epic Expert 29, an SC Tallboy, and a Cannondale Scalpel 2 29

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Mike Muir

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs and corners fantastic but it really comes into its own when the trails head down. This bike is amazing when the going gets tough going down. For a short travel bike I was amazed by the terrain it will ride over. Dropper seat post just adds to its ability.

Weaknesses:    Had an issue with bottom bracket creaking. Will have to see howthe Race Face holds up.
But no riding weeknesses.

Bottom Line:
Love tis bike and have carved huge amounts of time off my best times for my local trails and have done some seriosly long rides and still felt great. Maybe one bike can fill a lot og gaps.

Submitted by fr8dawg98

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    This bike will descend anything and the dropper seatpost is an added bonus. The bike is described as a XC bike but I would have no problem taking this bike on the most technical trails in Fruita or Moab. I have been riding it around trails in Colorado and find that it is a perfect bike for fast flowing trails or super technical. I was equally impressed with the climbing geometry and ability to climb over technical terrain. Most bikes its one or the other but not both, with this bike its both.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I have to admit I was a bit nervous leaving the Specialized livery to try this bike. I have been on carbon epic 29 and a stumpjumper 29 for more aggressive riding. After riding this bike I feel as though I can get rid of both specialized bikes. The Element 970 outperforms the Carbon Epic on the climb and the Stumpjumper 29 on the descent. In my opinion that says alot for the element considering the Stumpjumper 29 is a 5" travel vs. the 970 that is a 4" travel. I can't wait to take this bike overseas to race!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Black Jack/ Buff Creek

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar, Yeti 575, Specialized Stumpy 29, Specialized Epic 29, Niner MCR and Air 9.

Bike Setup:   My 970 is setup stock.

Element 970 handling vs 970 BC edition

Hi all, Just looking for input, I will be ordering a 970 or a 970 BC edition shortly. I am coming of a 09 spech stumpy fsr (26'') with a 100/120/140 mm fork travel option. It is set to 120mm 99% of the time. I am an ex motocross racer so I like fast descends. I ride mostly XC/trail single tra ... Read More »