Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 SE 29er Full Suspension

• Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23 Custom Valved
  • Stem: Easton EA70 6° 70-110mm
  • Brake Levers: Formula R1 Reach Adjust
  • Shifters: Shimano XT Rapid Fire 9spd

Submitted by Flip Z Bird a Weekend Warrior from PHX, AZ.

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    I almost got the 2010 Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 SE bike but I waited for the new 2011 one and I'm really glad I did. I've road all kinds of mountain bikes for the last 15 years or so and after my last DH crash I wanted to get a new 29'er that could do everything that I still wanted to ride. The bike comes so well equipped from RMB that I only changed a few things for my own comfort.
First off, as my first 29'er I loved the way it felt out of the trail right from the very first ride. The bike is very well balanced with the Fox 32 F29 front fork and the Fox ProPedal rear shock. The set up was easy enough to set up for the first time and I only needed to tweak it just a little bit after my first two rides. The front fork is very plush and very stiff for a 29'er front fork. I wouldn't get a 29'er for the first few years till they got a stiffer front fork on them. The 15mm front axle really keeps the front tire tracking right over almost everything I've hit out on the trail so far. I went back and forth over switching the 3X9 Shimano XT grearing for the new 3X10 Shimano stuff and I'm glad that I kept the stronger stock 9 speed gearing on the bike. It climbs much better then any of my old 26 inch F/S and hard tail mountain bikes ever did. I love the Maxxis F: 2.4/R:2.25 Ardent Kevlar tires that came on the bike they hook up great out on the desert trails of South Mountain. This is the first bike with Formula R1 disc brakes and the modulation and performance were a great choice for such a nimble bike. I found none of the wheel flex on the new DT Swiss X 470 rims that seemed to be a problem in some of the old non DT Swiss rimed 2010 bike Reviews? Overall Rocky Mountain as made a fantastic 29'er in a price where many of the other competitors can't touch.

Weaknesses:    I'm nitpicking only on the things out of my own old riding habits. I had Slippery Pig put on a new Easton Monkey Light composite riser bar only because I don't like the feel of flat mountain bike handlebars. I have big hands and I liked the feel of the new OURY lock on grips better then the stock ones.

I road a lot of downhill and the height of the seat post made me want to invest in the new Rock Shox Reverb adjustable seat post. What a great addition to help make this bike even more of an all mountain bike then it was before. My only slight knock on it is that I had to install the remote upside down on the left side of my handlebar to keep it under the bar. I didn't like it sticking up above the right hand side of my handlebar and possibly getting ripped off in a crash. It really makes hitting the rough sections of the trail and the downhill parts of your ride that much better.

Bottom Line:
Simply put I'm very glad that I bought this 2011 bike. I felt that this bike was more then worth the price of the build kit alone and if I didn't like the frame I could always go out and get one of the new custom made 29'er frame and use this build kit on it. After my first few rides I was so pleased with my new RMB Altitude 29 SE frame that I'll keep it just the way it is.

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain

Purchased At:   Slippery Pig Bike Sh

Similar Products Used:   Way too many to list over the years.

Bike Setup:   Nearly Stock with a few new things I added to it. A new Rock Shox Reverb adjustable seat post, a Monkey Light "Easton" ENT composite riser bar, a set of new OURY lock on grips and my favorite Selle Italla Pro Link seat.

RM Altitude 29 SE for sale on the Front Range

Selling my nearly new Altitude 29. Nice build and barely ridden. A deal at 3k. More details on da Craig. [url=http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/2911357703.html]Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 SE[/url]Read More »

Altitude 29 vs 29 SE

Am considering getting an Altitude 29, but wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to the SE - price difference here in Norway is USD1800 ... which seems a bit steep to me. This would be my first FS bike. My question is if the 29 is fine (shocks etc.) or if I am loosing out big time if I do not choos ... Read More »