Orbea Occam 29 29er Full Suspension

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Orbea Occam 29 M10 Mountain Bike: As our top-of-the-line model, the Occam 29 M10 is primed for adventure and high performance. We build the carbon fiber frame to ensure a just-right blend of strength, stiffness, and light weight. It comes with a Fox RP23 Remote Kashima rear shock for the ultimate in tune-ability at your fingertips. We outfit the M10 with a complete Shimano XTR drivetrain. Since it?s a matched group, from the shifters to the cassette and chain, you can be sure to have optimum performance. One highlight is the XTR Shadow Plus rear derailleur. It works like magic to keep the chain tight over exceedingly rough terrain.

Submitted by Donald James

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2015

Strengths:    Climbs great, even with a standing stomp climb sprint, wheels don't lose grip. Descends like a screaming eagle.
I got this one after breaking 3, yes 3 Santa Cruz LT 2.2s.
I already had an Orbea Alma World Cup 29er Carbon so I was familiar with the brand and build.
The Occam 29 has blown my mind. Orbea/Zeus carbon peripherals are awesome.
C9-12 rear. You can use 9mm QR or 12x142 maxle.
Fox's simplified CTD Fit Fork and Factory CTD with trail boost shock makes the dialing in super easy.

Weaknesses:    Hey, it's not the lightest but it's the brighest and not very common. Parts availability can be a hassle.
People asking "what's that? And where are they from? "
When you say Basque country, 99% of Americans have no idea where that is.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a Marathon/Trail bike in 29er format, you owe it to yourself to give kne of these a go if you can find one.
I was riding large size SC and Med Scott. This Med Occam was perfect and with short stem it just adds to confidence.
While my buddies on their Ripleys may have a pound or two lighter, they are the ones constantly stretching out their backs at the end of every long climb.
Orbea makes some great bikes, well known on the other side of the pond.

Submitted by sbrdude1

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2014

Strengths:    Very stiff, climbs like a hard tail, beautiful paint job, unique tube shapes. The threaded BB was a big plus for me due to using most of the parts from my SC Tallboy 1. The 142x12 rear end just made it even better. Long TT allowing for usage of a shorter stem and wider bars. Lifetime warranty.

Weaknesses:    Higher stand over hight, needs to be ran with a short stem or else it's like turning a boat. Not many stores stateside carry this bike. Rear shock remote is large and clunky. Only 105mm of rear travel.

Bottom Line:
By far this is the best bike I have ever owned. It has a mix of XX, XO, Easton, Specialized/Roval, www.light-bicycle.com, and Raceface parts. I know many have complained that it isn't the lightest but as stated in a previous review that's moste likely due to part spec. My frame is a large and with shock remote and the stock 135x10 qr came in at 5.6lbs. When I take off my dropper post and put my race seat, wheels, and tires on it the weight is a respectable 24.3lbs. With a dropper and heavier seat the weight jumps up to 25.7lbs. The cornering once I installed a 70mm stem is spot on and the lower BB makes the bike sit into turns like a race car. I opted to use a 120mm Fox Factory 15mm fork for the slacker HT angle and slightly higher BB as I do a lot of light AM and Trail rides. For taller people this bike is the ticket. I haven't raced it yet but from my times I am much faster than I was on my SC TB1.

Submitted by Carlos Teissier

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2013

Strengths:    Great geometry, extremely fast. Great balance between both suspensions. Very comfortable for long runs. No doubt, the best bike for long distance Marathons.

Weaknesses:    Not precisely light. The frame is not too different in weight form the carbon one, maybe 1 pound. The problem is really the wheels, tires and parts like handlebar, seat tube and transmission.

Bottom Line:
If this bike was 3 pounds lighter it would be the best racing machine. Even so, you can still get there by changing some components. On the other side, even with it's actual weight, because of the incredible performance of the geometry, this is one of the best bikes you can buy

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!