Norco Revolver 29er Full Suspension

The 2013 Revolver lives for epic rides. With a chassis that is light, stiff and responsive, this bike is designed to eat up twisting fire road climbs, roll fast through flowy singletrack and maneuver deftly through technical XC trails. 29” wheels clear obstacles with unparalleled speed and efficiency and hold a line better through rough descents, so the Revolver can hang – no matter where your all day adventures take you. The Revolver is available in 2 trims, the Revolver 1and 2.

2012 Norco Revolver 1 Pro Review

The Revolver is a new model for Norco in 2012, and the frame is jam-packed with all of the features that grace the company’s recent offerings. The most notable of these features is the Advanced Ride Technology (ART) tuned FSR linkage which uses optimized pivot placement to increase pedaling efficiency, improve braking performance, increase square-edge bump compliance, and create a suspension system that is easier to tune while providing travel that feels bottomless.Continue reading →

Submitted by NightBiker a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Despite its stock weight of almost 30lbs the bike handles well and is lively for a 29er. Remote fork lockout helps the bike climb on the smooth and roll down the pavement quickly.

Weaknesses:    Stock wheel set is on the heavy side at 10lbs with the stock Kenda slant six tires. The stock seat post clamp failed within hours of riding the bike and did not keep the seat post in place, this has been replaced with a QR seat post clamp which is more useful than the original bolt on. This was remedied by the LBS.

Bottom Line:
After having rode the bike in the stock configuration (wheel set and Kenda slant six tires) I have opted to upgrade to the Sun Ringle Blackflag pro wheel set (rims by Stans) and Bontrager 29-0 race tires. This has brought the wheel set with rubber down to just over 7.5 lbs with conversion to Stans notubes. While in the stock configuration the bike handled and accelerated well, after shedding almost 2.5lbs of rotating mass the bike has really came alive and has shown the bikes true potential. The wheel set upgrade was well worth it and really allowed this bike to shine. While originally I had contemplated removing the remote lockout and switching to a 2x10 setup I have found both to be spot on choices for this bike. I continue to find the lockout more and more useful on each ride. I had considered removing the big ring in place of a bash guard but I have found that on fire roads and pavements that the big ring does get some use.

The only quibbles I have found so far after about 300km+ in the saddle is that the stock seat post clamp failed and was replaced by LBS within hours of riding the bike and the drive side bolt for the swing arm worked lose. The loosening of the swing arm bolt has been reported by other users and is something to watch out for. At the time of writing this my LBS has put Loctite on the bolt and I will continue to monitor. It is good to check the bike over on a regular basis, especially during the first few rides for problems like these.

Any minor quibbles aside this is an amazing bike.

I have tried this marathon bike on fairly aggressive downhill trails and even with the race wheels and tires the bike hooked up. While this kind of riding is not what the bike is intended for it shows how capable this rig is on the trails. Recently I have made it up some technical climbs which I were not sure were possible with a 26 inch bike, and done with ease on the 29er. It seems the more I push this bike the farther the limits are.

During my initial rides on the stock tires and wheel set, I found the Kenda slant six tires to be capable in most conditions, the tires did not hook up the best in muddy conditions, but with the larger contact patches of the 29 inch wheels it took a little finesse to keep the wheels churning forward. Downhill in mud the tires while sliding somewhat did so predictably. I will probably use the stock wheels and tires for training and swap to my upgraded setup for racing.

I would recommend this bike in the stock configuration to beginner to advanced riders. With the addition of upgraded wheels/tires this bike will be good for XC and endurance racers. While this is my first venture into the 29er world I have found that concerns I had before riding this bike about 29ers were unfounded. This bike is quick to handle, lively on the trail, no foot/front tire clearance issues and comfortable for a smaller rider (Im just under 5'8" and have the small size Revolver 2). I am not sure I will buy another 26 inch bike, if choices in the 27.5 (650b) group increase as predicted then I may try a 650b, but at this point after riding this 29er I am certain my next bike wont be a 26 inch bike.

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills 24h races

Purchased At:   Northriders

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er, but I am a bit of a bike nut and I currently own the following bikes:
Kona Kikapu (many upgrades, setup for trails)
Specialized Stumpjumper (setup for racing 22.5lbs)
Norco Six
Norco Indie SS (all year/condition commuter)
Trek Alpha 1.1 roadbike

Bike Setup:   Stock with upgraded wheel set (Sun Ringle Blackflag Pro 29er) and tires (Bontrager 29-0)

Submitted by Ian K a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2012

Strengths:    Fast, Light and love the suspension. Climbs very well. Love the head tube angle - handles technical descending well for an xc marathon bike. Although it is an XC 29er - it handles and rides great on North Shore Trails.

Weaknesses:    Non yet - Not sure how wheels will hold out?

Bottom Line:
Love the weight, set up and geometry. Handle NS trails well. Looking forward to riding it this summer in BC Bike race.
I am very impressed with what Norco has done in the last few years! Very cool design... If in doubt - check this Bike out!

Purchased At:   John Henry Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic 29 er - did not like - fragile - would be good on smooth single track - did not handle tech single track well. Cranks were sent back, rear hub sent back, breaks never worked - I think I got a lemon as I have like other specialized bikes in the past.

Bike Setup:   Revolver 1 - Full XO, SID 29er Fork, RP23, Carbon 3x10 27 lbs with pedals

Revolver 2

I just received this fantastic ride last week. So far I am impressed with how smooth and solid it feels. I plan on putting many miles on it on my local trails in Dundas On. [ATTACH]820387[/ATTACH]Read More »

Bazooka Light... (or Revolver MkIII)

Hi everyone. I've got the itch to make lights again. Here's the progress so far: [ATTACH=CONFIG]786627[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]786629[/ATTACH] Feel free to make a guess at what I'm planning. Details of my last build: [url]http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/revolver-mk- ... Read More »

2013 Revolver 1 Spec Q'n.

Hi folks, has anyone actually seen the 2013 Revolver 1 in the flesh? says it has Shimano XT brakes - but can anyone confirm are they Ice Tech brakes or not? They don't look like it from photos online and I can't find the precise specs of the brakes. Are all XT brakes ice tech? Cheers.Read More »

Brake Caliper Clearance on DMR Revolver SS Hub with 160mm Rotor

I'm about to build a single speed wheel, and like the DMR because it is cheap, symmetrical, and has very wide and tall flanges. I will be building it to a Stan's Flow 29er rim with 2.0/1.8 DT Comp spokes, and have new Shimano SLX brakes with 160mm Rotors. I have heard that the wide flanges can ... Read More »

2012 Norco Revolver 1 review

We posted up my review of the 2012 Norco Revolver 1 on the site today: [url=http://reviews.mtbr.com/2012-norco-revolver-1-review]2012 Norco Revolver 1 Review | Mountain Bike Review[/url] Feel free to hit me with any questions about the bike and I'll do what I can to answer them.Read More »