Norco Fluid 9 29er Full Suspension

Designed for those looking to take their riding experiences to the next level, the Fluid 9 is a fun and fast 100mm full suspension 29er for the masses. The bike shines in any XC/marathon environment, exploding up climbs and tackling all obstacles that get in the way: roots and rocks are no match for this 29er. Throw a leg over a Fluid 9 and feel your skills multiply.

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2013

Strengths:    Pricing, Rear Suspension, Brakes, Wide Handle Bar

Weaknesses:    Rims (was sent wrong rims) Handle Bar Grips

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for about 3 months now and have ridden some moderately technical trails with some small drops. Right off the bat the bike performed excellently.
It rolls along extremely well once up to speed, starting can be a little slow but the same can be said for most 29ers. The 3x30 SLX setup does a great job shifting with out a hiccup.
The wide bars were an excellent choice on Norco's part, specifically with climbing. The bars also make this bike handle exceptionalyl well. I'd personally never switch back to narrow bars.
The grips seem a little uncomfortable but I might just need some more time to get used to them. I'm hoping a new pair of gloves might fix the problem because they look absolutely awesome. The seat is comfortable enough but some padded shorts do seem necessary.
The front suspension is decent but I will likely upgrade to a fox fork in the future, The rear suspension is up to task for the bike's intended use and the CTD feature is a nice added bonus.
The brakes have excellent stopping power and the modulation seems dialed in pretty well. I will say however that they tend to rub every so many rides. Brake adjustments are relatively easy due to the conical washer design. Simply loosen the mounting bolts, hold on the brake and re-tighten starting with the bolt closest to the brake line.
The tires seem good, although for some reason I was sent a set of Geax AKA 29's instead of the Continental X-Kings as stated on Norco's website. The rims I was sent were also possibly wrong because the bike was spec'd on the website with WTB Speed-Disc 19-29 rims but I got WTB SX-19 rims. Norco has since changed this detail on their website. They sent my LBS the rims that were originally stated to be on my bike at the time of purchase but I have yet to try them out. A side note regarding this- Norco's customer service department was absolutely terrible. Although I finally received some vindication in the end I undoubtedly will not buy another Norco based on how I was treated when I called. I could elaborate more but I
want this to be a review about the bike itself, not Norco as a company.
The frame geometry seems like it was well thought out and the riding position is very comfortable. Although I am noticing some creaking possibly coming from the swing arm but am unsure of the exact location. I also need to have my LBS give it a go over since it's new and some minor adjustments will be needed to fix things like cable stretch etc. as is the case with any new bike.
All in all I am pretty happy with this bike and while I wouldn't recommend Norco as a company anymore, I'd definitely recommend the bike itself. I've put a lot of research into buying this bike and have found that within my price range it had everything I wanted with very few compromises.

Price Paid:    $2030.00

Purchased At:   McQueen's Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Davarello a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2013

Strengths:    Sturdy frame construction, great stand over, dialled geometry, great spec and shock

Weaknesses:    Cable routing, no 142 rear axle

Bottom Line:
I've only just got a 9.2, but first impressions are far better than I expected. At 6'5" and 260lbs I was a bit worried about the fit and the shock being able to handle the load, but an XL fits perfectly (seatpost at max) and the Fox CTD is more than up to the task. Climbing in C feels very efficient with no discernible bob, it bombs along in Trail and turns into a sofa for downhills in D.
One potential weakness vs other bikes could be the lack of a 142x12 rear axle, but even at my weight I couldn't sense any extra flex in the rear end (other than the wheel settling into sharper corners). I did get the forks swapped out for Marzocchi 44 with 15 QR that I already had, simply to maximise steering accuracy.

This isn't a race bike, but if you want a fun trail bike definitely give the fluid 9 a try. If it lasts as well as I expect, it will be getting five stars for sure

Favorite Trail:   Tank Trail, Hanmer

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   Hub

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, GT Karakoram 29r, Marin Rift Zone

Bike Setup:   Stock except for parts from previous bike - Marzocchi 44, Deore brakes 200/180, Gravity 777 bars

Norco Fluid 9.1

Hi I have a good deal of the fluid 9.1 but i dont have a chance to do a test/demo ride. How do you compare the fluid 9.1 vs the Tallboy/anthem in terms of efficiency,stiffness,tech climbing etc ThxRead More »

Fluid 9.1

Hayes Carbon 9 leaking fluid onto lever

I have had to bleed my rear brake a few times this year. I was somewhat suspicious, but couldn't find any leaks or signs of damage anywhere. Recently I did notice some corrosion on the carbon on the rear lever, but I figured I might have spilled some fluid. Now, after my latest bleed (2nd in 2 we ... Read More »

Hayes 9 fluid

Is it true that i need some kind of special fluid for these, or can I just use mineral oil? all of the threads i've seen say either one or the other, and im not sure.Read More »

Trek Fuel EX 8(9) 2010 vs. Norco Fluid 2 2009

Can't decide which to take. My trails are flat as board, but with biiiiig roots and always wet. I'm searching speed singletrack demon that can take some man made jumps and drops. My previous 160mm machine was to much for the trails i ride and destroyed to quickly after one season in the dirt. Want t ... Read More »