Niner Bikes Rip 9 RDO XX1 29er Full Suspension

Niner Rip9 RDO XX1 Bike: ?Quiver Killer? meets carbon. 2 years in development, Niner?s highly anticipated and requested carbon trail bike finally makes an appearance. The RIP 9 RDO incorporates global rider feedback as well as

Submitted by Willburrr

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2013

Strengths:    Agile, light, stiff, excellent technical climber and descender. 100% Carbon frame rides buttery smooth. Comfortable cockpit. XX1 drivetrain is life changing. 29" wheels! This bike is just plain fast.

Weaknesses:    wish it came stock with a dropper post

Bottom Line:
I waited and waited and waited for the right bike to come along. I've been riding 26" wheeled MTB's my whole life (over 20 yrs) and was reluctant to switch to the bigger wheel. Mainly because I knew technology and geometry would eventually catch up and prove that the 29" wheel is the perfect platform for mountain biking. Well, it was worth the wait.

Behold the 2014 RIP 9 RDO. This bike has not only exceeded my expectation of what a 29" wheeled bike can do but it has far exceeded what I thought ANY mountain bike was capable of. Throw all, and I meal ALL, of the 29er stereotypes out the back door. Being blessed to live on the western slope of Colorado, I clock close to 1000 miles of trail riding per year with over 100,000 ft of climbing and have spent countless hours in the saddle of many different bikes. And here's my take. The agility of this bike is stunning. The wheel base of my medium is actually shorter than my buddies small framed reign XO trail bike. It handles steep, lose and techy switch backs with ease. You can whip this bike around any obstacle, get it airborne and bunny hop with little effort. Steering is quick and responsive and the bike always feels in control. It climbs like you it's attached to a winch and powers up and over just about anything you point it at. The carbon frame is so smooth and quiet. The only trail feedback you feel is what you need with no chatter. Mine weighs in at 26 lbs with pedals so I feel like I have plenty of lung and leg left at the top of some epic grinds. Descending is cheating...period. This thing steamrolls over just about everything and does it quickly. And there's no better drivetrain than a 1x11. Believe the hype. It's bikes like these that set standards. Just hope your buddies don't get one before you cuz you'll be left in his dust.