Niner Bikes R.I.P. 9 RDO 29er Full Suspension

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

The RIP 9 RDO is beautiful from the inside out via Niner’s Carbon Compaction System. Now used throughout the Niner RDO lineup, this CCS utilizes rigid internal molds and results in tighter, more consistent compaction of the carbon layers, yielding increased precision in wall thickness and significantly reduced resin pooling in the final product, allowing us to aim for better ride tuning, increased strength and durability along with the weight reduction that results from a more efficient process.

Submitted by Farmer Ted a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2015

Strengths:    Overall ride quality, geometry, rear suspension

Weaknesses:    Not a fan of the internal cable routing but it's not that big of deal, stupidly expensive at full price.

Bottom Line:
This is one of three Niners that I own (the others being a Jet and an emd). I was a long-time holdout on the 29er, especially for aggressive, technical descending (which is what I enjoy most) and now I've totally converted to them. I found myself wishing for a bike that had the handling manners and snappy, playful feel of my Jet 9 but with just a bit more travel so I could really rail it down rough descents. The Rip is that bike and I feel that it is truly the 'one bike quiver' that Niner advertises it as.

The thing I love about the Rip 9 is that it's a total chameleon. It has the quick, flickable handling of an old school XC bike but it's rock solid and stable in the rough and steep. It climbs and pedals as well as any XC bike, rails corners with confidence, countersteers well, is stable in the air, great on technical everything, and just a total blast to ride.

Niner's bikes fit me really well, I like the riding position they put me's an aggressive yet neutral 'attack' position (if that makes and sense) and they are very comfortable over epic distances as well (40+ miles).
I'm kind of kicking it old school when it comes to cockpit on my bikes...I'm on a 90mm stem and 685 low rise bar with a non-dropper Thompson seatpost. For me, it's perfect (I'm 5'11 on a medium frame) and I ride the whole mountain up and down. The area I live in (Northern Colorado) has extremely technical riding and the Rip handles it with ease.

As far as Strava-topping descending goes, It really does feel like the big wheels smooth out the rougher terrain and give me more line options. I'm running a 150mm dual position Pike in the front which works very well on this frame. Coming off a 150mm travel 26er, I do sometimes miss that extra inch of suspension travel in the rear, but really only when seated. In a crouched downhill 'attack' position, I don't notice it as much and the bike just gobbles terrain up with authority. Cornering and overall grip is confidence inspiring and feels much more predictable than the old small-wheeled bike. Ground clearance is great as well...I can clear obstacles with the bottom bracket on this bike that would have me banging the bash guard on the old 26.

Don't let the geometry numbers fool you, the head angle is not too steep, it's perfect. The bike feels perfectly balanced and doesn't have any of the semi-truck steering qualities that the current fad of choppered-out small wheeled bikes seem to (at least in my experience).

If there's any bad, well, I'm not a big fan of the internal cable routing but so far (400 miles in) it hasn't been an issue. I'm a little concerned about the long term durability of a carbon frame for the conditions that I ride in but they do have a 5 year warranty and I live in Niner's home town so I'm hoping that won't be an issue. The price for the frame is astronomical but I managed to pick mine up on some 50% off clearance because they changed the weight by 50 grams or some nonsense. The only reason I bought this over the alloy one (which I had been looking at for some time) was because it was significantly cheaper at the sale price that I found. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have paid full price for it.

But, with that being said, it is stunningly beautiful in blue and a true rideable work of art that I'm proud to own and push to the limits. At this point, if I busted it in half, I would probably have to get another one.

Favorite Trail:   steep and technical

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Niner Jet 9

Bike Setup:   150mm Dual Position Pike fork, X9/XO mix. Easton Haven wheels, carbon bars, Thompson stem and post. inner tubes, no dropper.

Submitted by Wes

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2014

Strengths:    Rips! Climbs like an Xc bike and descends like a 7+ inch DH. My large out of the box was 28.5lbs. Blue looks awesome!

Weaknesses:    No internal cable routing for dropper. Rear axel a bit fussy.

Bottom Line:
3 bikes prior were SC Nomad, SC Nomad C and Intense Carbine 275. Thought I'd try a 29er and so far I don't think I'll go back. Obviously climbs better than other 3 but also descends better. I lose a bit in the playfulness of the bike but I'm not doing tricks in the air. The stability of this bike is amazing over the rough and even railing corners. I am eating some crow right now as I've been resistant to 29 amongst the converted. I was considering a SC Tallboy LTC and a Yeti SB95c but I seemed to be between sizes in the SC and the Yeti Switch system didn't appeal to me. I instantly felt at home on the RDO and I thought the XT set up offered decent value. I'm thankful for the 2x10 on the uphill too.

Submitted by Sebastian a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2013

Strengths:    Very good all-round trail and light enduro bike. Active suspension, but good at pedaling. Lightweight and pretty stiff and really pretty in Rally Blue with cool, understated graphics. Great customer service.

Weaknesses:    I truly hate internal cable routing. Why, Niner, why? It rattles loudly when the going's bumpy, and the caps in either end come loose, encreasing the rattling. It will take 150 years to crack (I hope), but the cable has also rubbed a tiny track on the fork steerer tube. Also, the bike came stock with play in the rear shock. Had to buy new shims. Which is annoying on an unused bike.

Bottom Line:
I really, really like this bike. I upgraded from a 2011 alu RIP9, and I feel confident this is a better climber and descender, once the play in the rear shock was gone. There is nothing in terms of ride quality I miss from that bike, all though I do miss it.

I don't believe in the concept of a one quiver bike, but if I were to have only one bike, this would surely be it. It does everything well, with one exception for steep tech sections, where it feels an adjustable headset and a slacker head angle would be a good idea. But for everything else I ride, the geometry of the RDO is bang on.

I also really grief the internal cable routing. Sure, it looks sleek and smooth, but I believe full length cable housing zip-tied to the outside of the frame is a way better concept in all functional terms. I really hope Niner reverse their decision on cable routing and join the likes of Santa Cruz bikes and leave the cables on the outside. It will be affecting my decision when I change the RDO for something else in a year or two. I love this bike to death for everything else, but it loses one star in the overall rating 'cause of the damn cable routing.

Duration Product Used:   2013 season

Similar Products Used:   Niner 2011 RIP9, Niner 2008 SIR9

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT with 30t Woolf Tooth, Fox 34 Float CTD Kashima, Reverb, Thomson, Flow EX on Hope Pro II's.

Submitted by Willburrr

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2013

Strengths:    Agile, light, stiff, excellent technical climber and descender. 100% Carbon frame rides buttery smooth. Comfortable cockpit. XX1 drivetrain is life changing. 29" wheels! This bike is just plain fast.

Weaknesses:    wish it came stock with a dropper post

Bottom Line:
I waited and waited and waited for the right bike to come along. I've been riding 26" wheeled MTB's my whole life (over 20 yrs) and was reluctant to switch to the bigger wheel. Mainly because I knew technology and geometry would eventually catch up and prove that the 29" wheel is the perfect platform for mountain biking. Well, it was worth the wait.

Behold the 2014 RIP 9 RDO. This bike has not only exceeded my expectation of what a 29" wheeled bike can do but it has far exceeded what I thought ANY mountain bike was capable of. Throw all, and I meal ALL, of the 29er stereotypes out the back door. Being blessed to live on the western slope of Colorado, I clock close to 1000 miles of trail riding per year with over 100,000 ft of climbing and have spent countless hours in the saddle of many different bikes. And here's my take. The agility of this bike is stunning. The wheel base of my medium is actually shorter than my buddies small framed reign XO trail bike. It handles steep, lose and techy switch backs with ease. You can whip this bike around any obstacle, get it airborne and bunny hop with little effort. Steering is quick and responsive and the bike always feels in control. It climbs like you it's attached to a winch and powers up and over just about anything you point it at. The carbon frame is so smooth and quiet. The only trail feedback you feel is what you need with no chatter. Mine weighs in at 26 lbs with pedals so I feel like I have plenty of lung and leg left at the top of some epic grinds. Descending is cheating...period. This thing steamrolls over just about everything and does it quickly. And there's no better drivetrain than a 1x11. Believe the hype. It's bikes like these that set standards. Just hope your buddies don't get one before you cuz you'll be left in his dust.

Submitted by gaba a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2013

Strengths:    Light. Great climber. Decent descender. Blue color is awesome. XX1 1x11 is really nice. I come from the XTR 2x10 with the shadow derailleur. That setup is great as well but now I prefer the XX1. I only wish SRAM made a 180mm crank.

Weaknesses:    Problems with knock in shock pivot since purchase. My very competent bike wrench has changed bushings, he has swapped the linkage, he has done several adjustments per the Niner Rep and the problem still persists. I think it is time for a replacement frame. I'll repost after that experience. Also, I'm not a big fan of the Fox CTD fork. The fork came with ZERO rebound dampening even at the highest setting. After sending it back to Fox for a rebuild it is better but much less plush than the previous model that I also own. Both are the Talas 140-110.

Bottom Line:
Overall it is a great feeling bike that shines on the climb. I think I just got a bad frame. I'm 6'4" 220lbs, maybe they didn't design the frame with my build in mind. After the fix attempts I would get 1 or 2 rides with no knock and I could see how great it could be. But once the knock returned, handling diminished and confidence at speed went out the window. I own an aluminum Rip9 as well. In comparison the aluminum Rip9 bike is less of a climber but a better descender for sure. I set the RDO up with my old fork while the CTD was being rebuilt, so even with the same fork the alloy wins the DH for me hands down. Road Downieville last weekend and the aluminum steed sure was nice! I do prefer the Carbon for my local Marin trails (Tamarancho, Annadale) but for shuttle days I prefer the old Rip 9. I just find I can let go of the brakes and trust the line more. Hopefully I get a new frame. If so, I'll repost an update.

Favorite Trail:   Ashland

Purchased At:   Breakaway Bikes

Similar Products Used:   2011 Aluminum Rip 9

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas 140-110, XX1, ENVE bars, XTR brakes, KS dropper, I9 wheelset, Maxxis Ardents

Submitted by 06DODGECTD

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing, descending, build quality, attention to detail, spot on geometry, Niner customer service, 5 year warranty!

Weaknesses:    It's expensive, but these days it seems as though everything is...

Bottom Line:
This review is in regards to the 2013 Niner Rip 9 RDO. I'll give you some background information on myself before I get started. I started mountain biking 3 years ago on a bike purchased from a big box store for less than most people spend on a set of wheels. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on something unless I was really passionate about it. Well fast forward three years and nearly a dozen bikes later and I have found the perfect fitting ultimate trail riding machine for my second biggest passion, mountain biking!
To say the Niner Rip 9 RDO fits me like a glove is an understatement. The bike feels so natural to me; as though we're one connected speed machine. I'm 6'4" and purchased an extra large size frame. Niner frames typically run on the larger side of each size when comparing them to other brands. Before having ridden a Rip 9 I was unsure whether a large or extra large would fit me better, but after demoing each bike it was a given. The best thing I can say if you're borderline between sizes is to demo. Niner has quite a few demos throughout the country each year with all the latest and greatest bikes.
Typically the trails I ride are fast flowing XC trails with some short steep climbs and roller coaster descents. These trails could easily be ridden on a hard tail 29er with 100mm fork, but as I said earlier, I really love the way the Rip 9 fits me. Once per month I will go to the North Georgia Mountains and usually to the Pisgah area of North Carolina once per year. These trails offer a lot more technical climbs and much steeper descents. I guess what I'm getting at is the Rip 9 RDO feels at home on any trail, whether it's super technical or fast flowing, it can handle it all.
When it comes to climbing, there is nothing this bike can't clear as long as you keep pedaling. The Rip 9 RDO is honestly the best climbing bike I've ever ridden and I've rode quite a few. It's not the fastest climbing bike out there, but when the trail gets steep and technical it seems to be glued to the trail saying "Pedal Damn It"! I also have a Niner Jet 9 RDO and yes it is the fastest climbing bike I've ridden on smoother less technical trails, but on more technical trails the Rip 9 easily takes the lead. The Rip 9 RDO is an extremely plush bike when compared to the Jet 9 RDO. I also had an aluminum 2012 Rip 9 and although they both ride super plush, the Rip RDO certainly gets the advantage over it's older brother. It may be due to the CTD shock, or lighter weight and stiffer frame, but the Rip 9 RDO doesn't sink into it's travel too much like the aluminum 2012 Rip 9 did. I often found myself blowing through all the travel on the old Rip, but that's not the case with the carbon Rip. I'm sure this is probably not the case with the new 2014 Rip 9 aluminum. I leave my CTD shock in the trail mode all of the time and have the trail adjust set to the firmer setting number 3. I have my rebound set a tad on the slower side, usually 8 clicks back. I'm currently playing with sag settings, but 25% feels just right for my style of riding.
So then there is the descent, which on the cadillac like ride on the Rip 9 RDO, inspires complete confidence. I'm certainly a stronger climber than I am descender, but the Rip RDO is helping me overcome my weakness. Just point it downhill and let the Rip take care of everything else or at least that's what I've learned from riding this bike. I've taken so many wrong lines or somehow got off course and the Rip always seems to find a way to make it safely down. According to my Garmin, I've increased my top speed on my local trails by 2.5mph over the Jet 9 RDO.
The Rip 9 RDO also corners better for me than any other bike. This may be due to the feeling of sitting in the bike instead of on the bike, but I feel I can lay it over further and go faster. I don't ever get the feeling that the front end is going to wash out like I would on some other bikes. Tight switchbacks are no problem either, just adjust your body position accordingly and roll with it. It's almost as if this bike is machined to a track, around the corners, but then becomes sprightly on the descents. On paper the bike may look like it is more suited for XC riding with the steeper angles, but once you ride this bike you will throw the paper into the recycling bin! Niner seems to have nailed the geometry on this bike as it tracks like no other bike I've ridden.
The all new Niner Rip 9 RDO seems to be at home on almost any type of terrain. This bike can be set up as a XC speed machine or more of an all mountain "never back down until I've descended all the way down" build. The carbon Rip 9 is a beautifully crafted bike with a lot of attention to detail. The CVA suspension climbs remarkably well compared to other bikes in this segment. The Rip 9 RDO descends like a bike with much slacker angles as it inspires complete confidence. If you're looking for a "do it all" bike than look no further

Submitted by Michael Wilson

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2013

Strengths:    Incredible "do-it- all" suspension design. Plush on the downhills and perfect for climbing. Stiff, solid frame.
Great handling and geometry. Internal cable routing.

Weaknesses:    Nothing performance related. Love the Rally Blue color but wish more thought was put into bike graphics. Would also like to see rear disc brake cable tucked more under the seat stay. I also thought frame would be lighter. My XL weighed 6.35 pounds, but the weight was irrelevant once I rode it.

Bottom Line:
I built up an XL frame up with full XTR group, Fox 34 Talas 110/140 fork, Stans Flow wheels and Thomson cockpit (no dropper post) and it came it at 28 pounds- Not bad for a long travel trail bike. I feel the 125 mm travel is a perfect match for most technical trails and this bike delivers a great ride for anything you can throw at it. I come from an XC bike background and it climbs really well where I don't even notice the couple extra pounds. I'm a big guy (6'-4" / 215 lbs.) and this frame feels really stiff, but the suspension soaks up everything. A lot of credit goes to the Fox shocks and the CTD adjustments. I use the 110 mm travel fork setting for a majority of my riding and it never feels unbalanced with the 125 rear travel. Once the trail kicks turns nasty, I turn it up to 140 mm travel...a perfect complement to this awesome frame.
The handling is very similar to my SC Tallboy, which I love. The head tube is longer compared to my TB, so it puts me in a comfortable trail riding "sweet spot" for handling.
Overall, I would have to say Niner nailed it with this frame. It has everything you would want in a trail bike.
If you are thinking of getting one, I say go for it- you won't regret it.

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2013

Strengths:    Stunningfully beautiful - Prettiest mountain bike I have ever seen.
Niner nailed the geometry - it's rediculous how well this bike corners climbs and decends
Extremely comfortable to ride.
This bike is fun and fast like you can't believe
The blue color is mesmerizing

Bottom Line:
My freaking cool (and beautiful) Wife bought me this Rig for my birthday! Wow!
I raced motorcycles for decades and have been riding mountain bikes for a long,long time. I know what works off road and what doesn't .This bike works! My expectations were high...and they have been greatly exceeded.Bravi,to all at Niner.Well done,well done,well done!