Niner Bikes Jet 9 RDO 29er Full Suspension

4.68/5 (22 Reviews)

The Niner RDO has unidirectional carbon frame employs bold swooping tubes that were engineered to be strong and take a ton of punishment.

The Niner JET 9 RDO is a full carbon fiber full suspension bike from a company dedicated to ONLY 29ers and with a long history of cutting edge ideas and innovation. Expect this bike to give other carbon fiber 29ers like the Santa Cruz Tallboy and the Gary Fisher Superfly (and the forth coming Ibis 29er) a run for their money. Continue reading →

Submitted by Scott Rasmussen a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2014

Strengths:    Stiffness, Lightweight, climbing ability, descending ability, ability to hold a tight line, overall looks and quality

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This is the first review I have ever written for mountain bike, and have been riding for 17 years.
Wow what a bike, by far the best I have ever owned, I have constantly broken all my P.B's every track I've rode.
I generally like to ride aggressive XC tracks and in the past was not a big fan of the long climbs, but now climbing is easier so it does'nt bother me, this bike has made me want to get fitter and ride as much as possible, the roadie I own has not been used since I bought this rig, I highly recommend using a good carbon wheel set as it makes the acceleration second to none for a dually, I also like the geometry with a 120mm fork up front
A mate of mine has just bought one last week, I was on his first ride the other night, he also could'nt believe how well it suited him and had a smile on his face the entire ride
Would not swap it for any other bike.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline at Stromlo Forrest park

Purchased At:   Various places, as I

Similar Products Used:   Giant Anthem, Trek Fuel 9.8, Trek Superfly, Santa Cruz Tallboy

Bike Setup:   Med size, Sram XO1 drivetrain with 32 tooth on front,Sram Roam 60 carbon wheel set,Shimano Xt brakes, Carbon Niner cockpit and seat post, Richey WCS foam grips, Fizik Tundra 2 saddle, Rockshox XX 120mm forks, Fox Kashima shock, Rubena Tyres
23.3 lbs without peddles or 10.6 kgs

Submitted by Richard

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2013

Strengths:    I swapped my RIP 9 for the JET 9 RDO. The RIP was a beast. Felt the RIP would roll over a parked car while descending if I aimed it that way. Since I ride mostly technical cross country I decided to go for a lighter bike with less travel. The JET 9 is a perfect balance. The more I ride it the more I love it. Light, fast uphill and even thought it does not have the travel of the RIP it was perfect for what I ride. Also the bike corners very well and feels pretty close to my VPP suspension on my old blur (no pedal bob).

Weaknesses:    Not as plush as the RIP and not as fast downhill.

Bottom Line:
For me a perfect bike, when I got the first frame it had a factory flaw, the boys at Niner reacted within a week to get me a new frame. They are the best.

What makes the bike perfect?
1) Light and stiff (stiffer than the RIP even)
2) Suspension works well (like VPP).
3) Fast uphill
4) Floats over everything downhill.

The more I ride it the more my other bikes are being ignored.

Richard
teamXXL

Submitted by lonefrontranger a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing, handling, suspension balance, superb tracking on sketchy loose descending. Stout and predictable, the faster you go, the better it handles for sure. Beautiful frame is a work of art. Love the fact that they ship with OEM frame protection. Nice little details on the graphics and finishing just confirm you're buying top end equipment.

Weaknesses:    definitely not a bike for the budget minded. cable routing on the 2012 frames is challenging but if you read the instructions carefully it's not that bad. I understand they've changed the routing for the newer frames. The bike won't build up "stupid" light but it rides so much like a hardtail it doesn't much matter - it doesn't ride "heavy" at all, and I'd rather have it built to last.

Bottom Line:
I've always preferred DW-link type suspension platforms and this is my first 29er. I am a smallish (5'4") woman and wasn't entirely sold on the 29er koolaid until I test rode some last year. I needed something to help me with the chunky, nasty descents in the local MTB series - problem totally solved. The only minor issue I see is that the bike is significantly "faster" than I am - it just begs to be pushed and it is inspiring me to be a better rider, or kill myself trying. I notice I've attempted a number of lines this year that I wasn't confident enough to try on my Anthem 26er. The faster you push it, the better it handles. I even started racing it in my local short track series in lieu of my 26er hardtail, and it handles significantly better even in the pump track. My husband and I got a matching pair and built them exactly alike. The SID XX fork balances nicely with the Fox rear shock. Suspension platform feels significantly "tauter" than my Anthem's did, and it took a bit of getting used to at first, but this is not a bad thing IMO. It climbs WAY better locked out, and tracks downhill like a guided missile. It's the first dual suspension bike I've ever felt comfortable climbing out of the saddle on. My husband spec'd the RaceFace Next 38/26 2x10 cranksets and I was a little worried about being over-geared but so far I haven't needed anything lower because it's so easy to just romp on.

Favorite Trail:   gold dust - Breckenridge

Purchased At:   Golden Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Anthem X 26er, Santa Cruz Tallboy C, Specialized Epic 29 (test rode), Anthem 29er Carbon, Gary Fisher Superfly 100, too many 26er hardtails over the years to remember, been racing MTBs since 1992.

Bike Setup:   SID XX carbon fork, SRAM XX/X0 drivetrain, RaceFace NeXt crankset, bar, stem, seatpost, Formula brakes, Stan's Crest wheelset built on Hope hubs.

Submitted by Loren Frank a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2013

Strengths:    None yet, but I'm optimistic....

Weaknesses:    The bike doesn't exist...

Bottom Line:
I test rode a number of bikes from Santa Cruz, Yeti, Giant and Niner and the Jet 9 RDO was definitely my favorite. Among other strengths was its responsiveness and low center of gravity.

I placed an order at my LBS in mid-March, and they were told it would arrive no later than mid-April, which seemed long but tolerable. Now it's early May and Niner hasn't even responded to calls from the shop. Sigh.

I think I will love it once it arrives, but my suggestion to others is to strongly consider other brands unless the model they want is in stock at their shop.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Bike Setup:   XT setup, if it ever arrives....

Submitted by Luth a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    Handling - it is like riding a long surfboard, that is still light and responsive enough to flick.
Stiffness - it goes where you put it and stays there.
Durability - took mine on six weeks of varied riding. I put it through the wringer. Doesn't gleam like it used to, but it performed flawlessly in a wide range of trails. The rockiness of Downieville, the steepness and speed of Mt. Seven, the endless climbs and tight, off-camber singletrack of Oakridge, the unrelenting sidehill of the North Umpqua, the beat-out trails of Santa Cruz, the flowy trails of Tahoe, Bend, and Revelstoke, (and the illegal ones in Santa Cruz), and the variety of Fernie. It's built tough.

Suspension is close to perfect. A little bit stiff, which is great for climbing, but it still opens up to handle the high speed hits you'll take on it.

And it is beautiful. Most high end mountain bikes are well designed tools. The Jet 9RDO is a blend of a perfectly crafted tool and functional art.

Weaknesses:    Tight switchbacks - still can't get around them like I could on my first generation Trance 1, or Kona hardtail.
Price. Less expensive this year though if you look around.
And cable routing. Out of the box, the shifting wasn't perfect. Had to get it redone by my LBS. Good now.

Bottom Line:
I think it is a perfect machine. When I get a bike, I research it based on what I've had, what I've liked, what I want to do, and the fact that I ride it for at least five years. It came down to the Niner, or a Santa Cruz Tallboy LT in carbon, or the unattainable Specialized S-works 29'er. I have always liked DW-link based suspensions, and the Niner was the closest to that design.

It might be a bit stiffer than other bikes on the small hits and while pedaling, but it is built to go fast all day. With the two different wheelsets I can either race it, or go for a 50 mile backcountry ride. It works in both environments. I've been mountain biking for almost twenty years, drive a Tacoma that is that old, and don't own a couch. I invest in my mountain sports equipment, and the Niner is what I think of as perfection in a backcountry trail bike that can be enduro raced.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Oakridge Oregon

Duration Product Used:   One glorious summer, so far

Purchased At:   Bike Bling

Similar Products Used:   the original Trance 1 - rode it for seven years
Specialized 29'er - nice rental bike to test ride the bigger wheels
A few different hardtails built to race/trail bike spec. The Kona Kula was the best one of the lot.

Bike Setup:   XL in black
Fox Talus fork and shock - both with Kashima coating
Enve AM rims with Chris King Hubs/Easton EC90 wheels
Schwalbe Nobby Nics 2.35/Rocket Rons 2.25 - both tubeless
Sram XO shifters, derailleurs
Sram XX cranks in black - 2x10
Magura MT-8 brakes and rotors (180's on the front)
Thompson Elite Masterpiece Post
Thompson stem
Niner carbon flat bar
Chris King headset
Fizik Gobi full carbon saddle - which is a little bit stiffer than the metal railed versions. May not be a good thing.
XTR trail pedals

Submitted by Niner Nation a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2013

Strengths:    Nice Geometry, CVA platform works great and awesome looking bike. Very light, responsive and can handle all the trails I throw at it.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing is a little complicated and if not done right, it can cause ghost shift when hitting bumps on the trail.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome, it has made me a much better rider. I had a Ibis Mojo SL which was a great bike as well but the Jet 9 RDO blows it out of the water. It climbs very efficient and descends even better by blasting thru rock gardens as if they were flat. Expensive? Yes and the "you get what you pay for cliche" does apply.

Favorite Trail:   Whole Enchilada

Niner Cabon Flat Top Bar 710mm:
Fizik Saddle, Easton Stem, ODI lock on grips and XTR pedals

Submitted by Floormaster a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Strengths:    Frame weight and build materials

Weaknesses:    Cable routing to hard

Bottom Line:
I have few other bikes ibis hd ,specialized stump sworks and yeti 575 and I think I understand 29 now, I just got this bike,this is how I define this bike compared to my all 26s
Ibis hd --Porche do it all fun and very sexy bike climbs ok , downhill perfection
Stumpy sworks--- Ferrari fast close to the ground brain susp has to be set up right to enjoy climb better than ibis, fast and light downhill ok need to get the right lane
Yeti 575-- Toyota Tacoma... Long lasting fun up and down my oldest bike bought it in 2007 still haveit fun fun
The jet nine rdo 29--Cadillac -- I haven't race in7 years and I finally did it this week, I got the bike 3 days before the race (20 miles) It was flat bumpy road with a 30 min climb with almost 98F and this bike surprise me a lot it can go just pedal smooth and I finish the race with my legs in perfect shape, passing 26 ers all the time so that said For me 29ers are for long rides and it climbs perfect coming down hard feels strange but it just go over things easier than 26, buy this bike if u do cross country race with lots of straight roads and lots of climbs never feel bob in rear susp, plus it's almost as sexy as ibis...... I think yeti has to go now jet 9 rdo is my new race bike ..... Come ride to Cabo all year long

Favorite Trail:   Cabo

Duration Product Used:   4 days

Purchased At:   Bike bling

Similar Products Used:   None 29 but I think I don't need to shamu is here to stay

Bike Setup:   25 lbs fox float American classic race wheels

Submitted by ibogey99

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff but plush. Efficient pedalling platform. Light for a full suspension 29er. Niner frames always look awesome and their new post/stem/bars really finish it off.

Weaknesses:    The internal cable routing can be a pain but is worth it in my opinion. It looks great and keeps the cables clean.

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for almost a year now and still enjoy it. I have several other bikes but this one will stay around for a while. I have it built up at 23.5lbs including pedals and it's a Large. SID WC Fork, Niner Cockpit, Enve Wheels, XX drivetrain and XTR brakes. I have done several long rides on some rocky trails in the range of 6-8 hrs and was thankful for the cush. I had always ridden hardtails due to weight and pedal efficiency but this bike has me rethinking that.

Submitted by Samson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing, descending, the fit, cable routing, design. HANDLING..

Weaknesses:    Can't find one

Bottom Line:
Reviewing the 2013 Jet 9 RDO. Outstanding!! The bike climbs like a hard tail and descends even faster with the smoothness and comfort of a full suspension. The ergonomics and the handling is what sets this bike apart. I test rode the Specialized, the Trek Epic, the Santa Cruz Tall boy, (all great bikes) and I have owned the Ibis Mojo, Mojo SL, and Mojo HD; And I can honestly say for all trail riding and handling I feel this is the best bike I have ever been on. It is extremely fast! For straight up trail riding, cross country, and all mountain it is a nimble bike, you feel perfect in the cockpit and It is very responsive. The CTD shock is easy to access. This bike is perfect for someone who enjoys trail riding, racing, or just beating your friends to the top:)

Favorite Trail:   Greenhorn Gultch to Red Warrior

Purchased At:   G-Fit

Similar Products Used:   Trek Epic, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ibis Mojo SL, Ibis Mojo HD

Bike Setup:   XTR Trail 3 x10, FoxTalas 32 fork, Fox CTD 2013 shock, Niner Components, Stans No Tube Black Flag wheels, WTB saddle (24 lbs with pedals and Stans in the rims)

Submitted by flafonta a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent geometry, Great CVA Suspension, plush but with very little bob, laterally stiff, all the latest standards (HS, BB, etc.), great climber, excellent descender, good durability, excellent customer service, nice attention to details (Chain stay protector, 3M tape under downtube, etc)

Weaknesses:    The black color shows the carbon fiber under the sun light, and this type of carbon layout is not uniform. Not a big deal for me, but I know some might be dissapointed.

Bottom Line:
I've had the bike for ~1 year and I still love it. I normally change bike every year, but this one I will keep longer. It just feels great. Built under 25lbs. Full XX + XTR brakes. I9 Wheels, Racing Ralph, WCS cockpit. I have had lots of bikes (Ibis, Stumpjumper FSR, Jet9 Alu, Gary Fisher SS, Niner Air Carbon SS, etc.), and and often demo other high end bikes when traveling on business (Epic, Epic 29er, Yeti, Trek, Pivot, Giant). Mostly XC riding. I even did some downhill stuff in Crested Butte. My Reba XX was under a lot of stress, but the RDO performed very nicely. Excellent pedaling efficiency, yet quite plush and comfy. I really feel like "one" with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Big Ceday Wilderness Trail

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Dallas Bikes Works

Bike Setup:   Full XX with XTR Brakes and WCS cockpit

Submitted by blylek

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Strengths:    Light yet stiff, loads of traction, great climber, very comfortable, inspires confidence.

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far

Bottom Line:
Ive had (have) bikes from Ellsworth (truth and moment and formerly an old ID), two 5 spots from Turner, a couple of Specialized (both stump jumpers), and a Santa Cruz Blur, and I have to say, this is by far my favorite bike. The suspension design (which worried me at first, having primarily ridden horst link type bikes) is excellent. It climbs like nobody's business. Its uncanny how much traction it has, over loose or rocky trails. It inspires confidence. I've been riding for many years, but I'm not one to go out and nail jumps or big drops etc...this bike makes me want to go out do those things, and worse, makes me believe I can nail those jumps without killing myself. I haven't had this much fun riding in long time...It feels like getting that first true BMX bike when you were a kid...it looks fast and even though I'm old and slow, it makes me feel fast...what more can someone ask for? Sure its expensive, but in my case, its worth it because it makes me look forward to riding and thats worth a lot more than what I paid for the bike.

Submitted by Brian a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Strengths:    This is my first XCish bike. I have an all mtn turner, but mainly race road as a Cat 2. This is my first 29'r. I love it. It is a climbing machine, but doesnt suffer on the downhill either. There are several steep rocky rides around Bozeman and this thing handles them no problemo. Traction is awesome, build quality is great. XO build kit rocks. I really have no complaints! my XL bike came in at 24 lbs.

Weaknesses:    Not as fast as a carbon hardtail for short xc racing, but we all know that already. It is a carbon, full suspension bike with awesome components so it is expensive, but we all knew that already too. This is not a huck machine, but you knew that as well.

Bottom Line:
This bike had been put through the test. I am 6-5 195lbs, have raced XC, ENDURO, and have done 50 mile singletrack days on this bike. I have a penchant for breaking wheels, deraileurs, chains, freehubs, axels, hangers, even a frame or two. etc. After 3 months, I have yet to true the wheel or do anything to the bike other than clean it. It corners better than my 26" turner, faster on the flats, climbs better, is way lighter, and way sexier. This could be the ultimate "quiver of one" bike.

Favorite Trail:   Continental Divide Trail, Butte MT

Purchased At:   Gallatin Alpine Spor

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5-spot, Foes FXR, Jamis Dakar Pro

Bike Setup:   Sun-Ringle Charger TR wheels, Formula R1 brakes, Sram XO 2x10. SID XX 100mm fork, Maxxis Ardent and Ikon combo tubless setup.

Submitted by Old Timer a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Strengths:    I cannot rate this bike because I have had a order in for this frame since November 2011. I think Niner should get their act together and start delivering these frames.

Weaknesses:    See above.

Bottom Line:
Poor frame delivery.

Purchased At:   Revolution Bike and

Similar Products Used:   Titus Racer X, Trimble.

Submitted by Dry Side a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    Solid, stiff where it matters. Good looking in person. Good fit and finish.

Weaknesses:    High quality does not come cheap. Ended up a bit heavier then I would prefer. Niner has a hard time meeting demand. Internal run shifting cables while look nice are going to be harder to service.

Bottom Line:
I rode a Niner Jet 9 alum SRAM X7 last season. I was so happy with that bike, I decided to go all out on a Jet 9 RDO from Hammerhead Bikes. This bike is the alum version on steroids. It does a fantastic job of getting the pedal stroke to the rear wheel. The extra 20mm of travel all the way around is a significant improvement, but the tight turning handling does not suffer. I went with the Fox TALAS 120 fork. What a world of improvement that is over my former RockShox Reba RL. Rarely use the 95mm setting. At first, the Enve wheels felt way too harsh. I have since lowered the tire pressure to 24 psi and that has really helped make these strong light wheels more comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   Mrazek

Purchased At:   Hammerhead Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Niner Jet 9 alum.

Bike Setup:   Frame Niner Jet 9 RDO
Pedals Shimano M540

Weight: 25 lbs.

Submitted by joneseb987@gmail.com a Cross Country Rider from SF, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2012

Strengths:    supper stiff, very efficient under pedaling, zero peddle induced motion. Climbs really well and decends with excellent stability and smoothness. FIrst full suspension bike I have had that you can climb out of the saddle with good efficiency

Weaknesses:    nearly as quick at turning on single track as best 26 XC rigs. Not cheap, essecially since really high end wheels are need to keep a 29er quick at accelerating

Bottom Line:
Its hard to justify $6700 on a bike, but this one is really nice for cross country and light to medium down hill riding. Excellent climber and 29er descends much more confidently then a 26 inch bike. Less twitchy, roles over almost anything, less likely to kick the back out. Only area a light 26 XC bike would have on this is supper quick tight single track, but not by much. Excellent all around XC rig with the most efficient pedaling full suspension I have ever tried.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho, Tahoe, Idaho

Purchased At:   clorado cyclist

Similar Products Used:   26 Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon with Mavic SLR wheels (hey this bike is fun to)

Bike Setup:   Haven carbon rims, Fox Talas 120/98mm shock. XTR

Scalpel vs Niner Jet 9 RDO

I'm thinking about these two bikes for XC racing. Im leaning more towards the RDO but I've heard that it's "wobbly" on the tops after climbs , and hard to get up in high speed on flats. For setup , both bikes will have the same setup; XX1 and Lefty 100mm. Also heard that the rear shock switch on RD ... Read More »

Anyone missing a NINER JET 9 RDO?

Either the guy selling this is a complete turd or the bike is hot.[url=http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/bik/3891231352.html]NINER JET 9 RDO[/url]Read More »

Jet 9 RDO V2 Integrated Headset Install

Hey guys, I just got a V2 RDO frame with an integrated headset. This is the first bike I am assembling with an integrated or tapered head tube. I assembled the parts on paper how they are going to go, but there is a thin metal shim/washer (pictured in the center/bottom) that I am not sure what ... Read More »

What shox to use with 2013 jet 9 rdo

Ive just bought a 2013 jet 9 rdo frame and it Will get a sid brain on the front. Should I keep the Fox shox or should I get the rock shox xx with remote ?! Im a set and forget rider and Will not like to have to flip the Fox shox all the time. Is the xx any good on a jet 9 rdo?!Read More »

Jet 9 RDO rear chainstay crack, warranty question

Today I noticed my rear chainstay is cracked. :madman: [ATTACH=CONFIG]806635[/ATTACH] It is possible that I caused this when I had a minor crash, but this bike has really seen no more than 3 minor laydowns. If it was caused by me laying it down, that rear chainstay where the cable runs through ... Read More »