Marin Rift Zone XC 29er Full Suspension

• Easton EA70 XCT 29er Wheelset
  • Maxxis Ikon, 26” X 2.2” Kevlar Bead Tires

Submitted by Luis Yanez

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2014

Strengths:    I just got a 2013 Rift Zone XC7... Great Components, Solid frame, handles really well, the Reba is very smooth, Brakes work great and easy to modulate, SLX shifters work flawlessly. Best feature of this bike is Bang for the Buck

Weaknesses:    Wish the Cables were routed through the frame

Bottom Line:
Being 6'1" 195 lbs, I got a 20.5" bike. Went from a entry level 29er to this hoping it would take me to the next level. This bike has exceeded my expectations in every way. After 1 month, this bike has made me so much faster and confident. Climbs with like a goat (no pedal Bob), and descends like a rocket. Best feature was the price, $1575.00 including shipping.

Submitted by dirkdaddy

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2014

Strengths:    Geometry / Steering
Beefy thru-axles on both ends
Suspension design
Tapered steerer
Triple crank for all around riding
roller bearing suspension - rare and lifetime guarantee

Weaknesses:    Cables are long, didn't like clamps
Brakes are not great but work
Headset low-end
Rockshock fork not stellar but works well

Bottom Line:
I needed to get my wife a bike and decided after much looking to get the XC6. It had reasonable spec, a great looking frame design. We were not disappointed when the mail delivered the bike. The beefy through axles, well designed frame, etc. The frame fit her short torso very well, and the front end steering is excellent and tight for technical trails. The shifters are precision and solid for being value oriented. We love it and at the price of below $1400 was a huge bargain.

I did swap out the fork for a Manitou Tower Pro which really enhanced the performance of the bike. The headset is caged ball instead of sealed and was short on grease, but otherwise very impressed. I like the ability to upgrade to specific parts we want instead of buying higher spec models that still may not have what you want. The XC6 is a great bike for starters and can be ghetto tubeless converted. With some heavy pedals (huge rat trap ones I had laying about) it in 17" size weighs about 32-33 lbs (bathroom scale).

Submitted by davidwastaken

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2013

Strengths:    The spec on the bike is one where upgrades are largely unnecessary. The XT group still has one of the best values in groups, and the Formula R1 brakes have some of the best modulation I've used. I don't quite understand why Marin chose to put on a triple crank given the wide acceptance of 2x10 systems. I did change the crank out first thing, but that was more due to owning a double and preferring a double crank.
The EA70 wheels are strong and for most people easily setup tubeless. Combined with front and rear thru-axles the bike tracks better than everything else I've ridden to date.
The suspension design (quad link 3) is essentially a short-link 4-bar system not too dissimilar from DW-Link, Maestro, or CVA. While the details of course differ between the systems, all emply co-rotating links to provide an initially rearward wheel path and an anti-squat curve. That is even without using the trail setting on the shock the bike did not bob under pedaling that I could detect.

Weaknesses:    Triple crank, could be lighter, wheels can burp at lower pressures. All fairly minor things.

Bottom Line:
I'm using the XC8 for my XC racing bike, and for that purpose I find it excels. The front end is about average in stack, but the reach is for a medium rather short (viz. I'm 5'6" and it fits like most other brands' small). The headtube angle is similarly middle of the road between twitchy and floppy. However the bike has a relatively short wheelbase, and combined with the stiffness of the thru-axles the bike tracks exceptionally in tight singletrack and long fire road descents.
I ended up replacing the triple crank with my double XTR crank straight away, and as well replaced the wheels. It is not that I found either lacking in quality so much as it is my preference for the double and my weight requires a tighter hold on the tire bead to run the pressures I like. The stock EA70XC wheels didn't seem to have any issues with stiffness, but I replaced them too due to burping below 20psi.
The suspension I find to be one of the highlights of the bike, and the most simple and short way of saying why is that "it's suspension I don't notice." That is with a wheel path that travels backwards first I'm not kicked up over rocks, the fairly linear feel doesn't get noticeably stiff at the longer end of the travel, and the travel curve seems to have eliminated pedal bob almost negating the T in Fox's CTD shock.
So with the exception of the triple crank, I cannot see any flaw in the bike or the build. I know I said I replaced the wheelset, but how many people weigh 115lbs and run around 17-19psi?

Fun Morning Flow on the Marin XC 7 Rift Zone 29'r

Morning Flow on the 29'ER! [IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/4roq3d.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2qvqo1v.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/345j8uq.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/102qgrt.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/21ahkq1.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.co ... Read More »

2008 Marin Quad XC frame (Mount Vision, Rift Zone, East Peak). Need your input, Pros

HI there, I am considering upgrading to a FS frame. I have been doing some reading and I like the Marin Quad XC frame. I am currently looking at 2008 frames and they are fairly affordable ($500 range new). Whatever frame I end up buying, it will be set up for AM/XC occasional light Freedride r ... Read More »

08 Cannondale Rush 4 vs 08 Marin Quad xc Rift Zone

I am considering these two bikes. I have owned a 95 Marin team issue for 11 years and have ridden the snot out of it, so I trust Marin. Cannondale has a great name and the lefty fork gets major cool points. $2500 is my top end so if a better bike comes to mind I would entertain the suggestion (of co ... Read More »

Jamis Dakar XC Expert vs. Marin Rift Zone

Looking to buy my first FS bike. Currently riding an '01 Marin Eldridge Grade. I ride mostly XC and was wondering what people thought about the Dakar XC Expert and Rift Zone. Also please give me any other suggestions you may have in this price range- $1500-$2000.Read More »