Marin Rift Zone 29er XC8 29er Full Suspension

• Continental Race King, Folding Bead, 29” x 2.2" Tires
  • Easton EA70 XC 29er Wheelset

Submitted by davidwastaken

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2013

Strengths:    The spec on the bike is one where upgrades are largely unnecessary. The XT group still has one of the best values in groups, and the Formula R1 brakes have some of the best modulation I've used. I don't quite understand why Marin chose to put on a triple crank given the wide acceptance of 2x10 systems. I did change the crank out first thing, but that was more due to owning a double and preferring a double crank.
The EA70 wheels are strong and for most people easily setup tubeless. Combined with front and rear thru-axles the bike tracks better than everything else I've ridden to date.
The suspension design (quad link 3) is essentially a short-link 4-bar system not too dissimilar from DW-Link, Maestro, or CVA. While the details of course differ between the systems, all emply co-rotating links to provide an initially rearward wheel path and an anti-squat curve. That is even without using the trail setting on the shock the bike did not bob under pedaling that I could detect.

Weaknesses:    Triple crank, could be lighter, wheels can burp at lower pressures. All fairly minor things.

Bottom Line:
I'm using the XC8 for my XC racing bike, and for that purpose I find it excels. The front end is about average in stack, but the reach is for a medium rather short (viz. I'm 5'6" and it fits like most other brands' small). The headtube angle is similarly middle of the road between twitchy and floppy. However the bike has a relatively short wheelbase, and combined with the stiffness of the thru-axles the bike tracks exceptionally in tight singletrack and long fire road descents.
I ended up replacing the triple crank with my double XTR crank straight away, and as well replaced the wheels. It is not that I found either lacking in quality so much as it is my preference for the double and my weight requires a tighter hold on the tire bead to run the pressures I like. The stock EA70XC wheels didn't seem to have any issues with stiffness, but I replaced them too due to burping below 20psi.
The suspension I find to be one of the highlights of the bike, and the most simple and short way of saying why is that "it's suspension I don't notice." That is with a wheel path that travels backwards first I'm not kicked up over rocks, the fairly linear feel doesn't get noticeably stiff at the longer end of the travel, and the travel curve seems to have eliminated pedal bob almost negating the T in Fox's CTD shock.
So with the exception of the triple crank, I cannot see any flaw in the bike or the build. I know I said I replaced the wheelset, but how many people weigh 115lbs and run around 17-19psi?