Lenz Sport Leviathan 4.0 29er Full Suspension

MSRP : $1975.00

The Leviathan 4.0 takes the lighweight frame of the classic Lenz Leviathan and let's you rip it up with 4 inches of super plush travel. Giving you a smoother ride than the 3.0, this bike is perfect for all day epic rides and also a popular choice for endurance racers.

• Designed to run either a 100mm or 120mm XC fork
  • 29 inch wheels
  • 4" rear travel
  • 135mm rear spacing
  • Polished/Anodized lightweitht finish

Read the Pro Review on the Leviathan 3.0 Here>>

Submitted by PHRANQUY a Cross Country Rider from South St. Paul, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs well, descends great, rails berms, loves to air out the tires from time to time.

Weaknesses:    I keep breaking parts (components, not the bike itself)

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for someone who is looking for a do-it-all XC bike but may not necessarily be trying to race, but is certainly race ready. Comfortable on long rides and fast on short rides. Ascends and descends as well as, if not better, than other bikes in it's class but is lighter. One thing is for sure, Devin has this bike pretty well dialed.

Favorite Trail:   CAMBA Trail System

Purchased At:   LaceMine29.com

Similar Products Used:   2011 Stumpjumper FSR 29 Expert/Comp, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Kona Hei Hei 29, Others I can't think of right now.

Bike Setup:   2011 Lenz Sport Leviathan 4.0, Large, Medium Blue Anodized
Fork: Rock Shox Reba RLT Ti 29, 20mm Maxle Lite
Shock: Rock Shox Monarch 4.2
Headset: Cane Creek 110
Wheels: DTSwiss 350 hubs laced to Stans Arch rims witha mix of DTSwiss Comp and Supercomp spokes
Tires: Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4, set up tubeless
Seatpost: Ritchey WCS Alloy 2 bolt
Grips: ODI OURI

Submitted by michael573114 a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Strengths:    climbing, downhill stability, great geometry

Weaknesses:    slight pedal bob on flat ground

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic bike. I was looking at them back in 2006 when I got my hardtail (GF Paragon), thinking that it would be my #1 choice if I ever went to a full suspension. I did the same research this year, and came to the same conclusion.

I love how easy sprint climbing is, how stable it feels on technical downhills, how easy it is to ride everywhere. It's not cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Good customer service too, the finish on my rear triangle didn't come out right and wasn't caught by the bike shop before they shipped it (shame on you guys!), but Devin is going to replace it when he makes another batch of the same color.

Overall, I'd absolutely buy another one if it was stolen today!

Favorite Trail:   Trumbull

Price Paid:    $2050.00

Similar Products Used:   2006 Paragon, Iron Horse Azure

Bike Setup:   120mm Reba RLT Ti, Hadley & Arch wheels, SRAM X.9, Elixir CR

Submitted by russman a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, quality, overall ride is awesome. Made in the USA. Climbs like a mountain goat, descends smoothly. The suspension seems to eat everything up. Great bottom bracket clearance.

Weaknesses:    None yet. Took a while to get, but so far it's been worth the wait.

Bottom Line:
I test rode a Leviathan 3.0 over the summer. I was very impressed by the ride. It was smoother on descents than the SC Tallboy (which I didn't think was possible), it was similar in weight to the TB too. Overall, if you want a quality made in the USA bike, this is it. It's a XXL frame size, and built up with my not-so-light stuff, it still weighs less than 30lbs. The owner of Lenz Sport, Devin, worked with me throughout the build process. He got it powder coated black for me at no extra charge. The welds on the frame are beautiful--you can tell it was made with pride.

Favorite Trail:   Lunch Loop, GJ

Cassette: XT
Headset: Chris King

Submitted by Steve_N a Weekend Warrior from Blue Mountains, NSW, AU

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2010

Strengths:    Quality, lightweight, solid, stable, sweet ano blue colour

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a new FS 29er for marathon/enduro purposes as well as general trail riding and there was plenty to choose from. I took a long time to settle on the Leviathan and I am so glad I did!

The frame is top quality with nice even welds and the sweet anodised blue looks great. You can tell these frames are hand made with care and passion.

From my first ride I could tell this was going to be a great riding frame. First of all the ride is smooth. It’s almost like a magic carpet ride. I have the '10 Leviathan with the Fox RP23 Boost Valve shock and combined with the Lefty fork it just eats any bump thrown at it. And I think this contributes to the reason why it loves to be ridden fast. Another reason is that it feels so stable. There’s no hint of sketchiness on fast fire road descents or even when blasting down single track or hitting that technical section. It handles everything without an issue or fuss.

On uphill’s traction is great as the suspension is always active. Pedal bob can be an issue if you’re not a smooth pedaller (like me!) but a flick of the ProPedal lever on the shock and it becomes a non-issue.

If I were nit-pick - and I mean we are really nit-picking here - I would've loved the ability to run full derailleur cable housing but it doesn't bother me really...

Overall this is a great quality, super smooth, fast and stable frame. If you're looking for a frame that will eat up the miles (going up and down) with a minimum of fuss and time I think you would be hard pressed to find anything better…

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   Mendon Cycle Smith

Similar Products Used:   Soma Juice, KHS Solo One, other 26ers

Bike Setup:   http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=609016

Submitted by rianclay a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, PLush, high BB (good thing for me), technical climbing/descending, balanced

Weaknesses:    could not find one

Bottom Line:
Demo'ed several times and now I'm hooked. Best technical climbing bike I have ever ridden. Zero pedal strikes. Rock gardens and step up rock ledges are easy on this bike. Switch backs - easy as my 26", descending was much faster than 26". Handling was very neutral which is a good thing. Waiting for the frame is tough, but the quality in the build is well worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado

Purchased At:   Golden Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   SC Tallboy, Somewhat similar....Yeti asrSL, Ells Epiphany

Bike Setup:   My build will be - Green Lev 4.0, all XTR, Marta SL brakes, 240s laced to ZTR Crest, crossmark/ignitor, F29 Fit 100, Thomson, King, = light and fast

Submitted by Ron Dailey a Cross Country Rider from Riverton, Utah

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, agile climber, able to ride all day for long cross country ride.

Weaknesses:    Could not find any

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this is a great bike and hand built in the USA. Great riding bike. I have ridden Kokepelli from Fruita to Moab, I have done the White Rim Trail in one day several times and once at night. If you like to do epic long rides the 29er 4.0 is the way to go.

Favorite Trail:   So many to choose from

Purchased At:   Lenz sport

Similar Products Used:   Tested a few others at Interbike demo days. The Lenz Sport was the best riding one.

Bike Setup:   Sram xo, thompson, wtb,

Spring Trainer - Leviathan 4.0

Here is an Early Spring build brought together by an number of different sources such as: craigslist, ebay, mtbr classifieds, outside outfitters, crankbrothers, price point, and universalcycles.com. LenzSport Leviathan 4.0 medium w/clamp & Fox RP23 - craigslist - thanks Kurt. RockShox XX 29er fo ... Read More »

29er Project: leviathan 4.0, PBR 140, SiSl, Enve

I was researching drivetrain options for this build in [URL="http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/xtr-shift-dynasis-gs-vs-xx-shift-red-derailleur-723111.html"]this thread[/URL] back in July. I've been piecing this build together for over a year. Still working on a few things but its rideable now th ... Read More »

09 Sultan or 2011 Leviathan 4.0

I have a chance to get either of these new. I race mostly endurance races and want to go full suspension from my Superfly. Living in Wisconsin there are no really big downhills or huge climbs, i just want to go full suspension to save my back a little over the long run. These bikes are not availab ... Read More »

2011 Lenz Leviathan 4.0 Build

Since I don't see a lot of info on Devin's bikes other than what Mikesee and a few others post, I thought I would post up my build and a few pictures: 2011 Lenz Sport Leviathan 4.0, Large, Medium Blue Anodized Fork: Rock Shox Reba RLT Ti 29, 20mm Maxle Lite Shock: Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 Headse ... Read More »

Lenz Sport Leviathan 4.0

anybody out there ride the 4.0? the 2010 4.0 looks great on paper with the addition of the boost valve on the RP23. USA made a big plus, American jobs and no trade imbalance, which helps a little bit. how light is the 4.0? how is the ride? thanks in advanceRead More »