Lenz Sport Leviathan 3.0 29er Full Suspension

4.73/5 (15 Reviews)

The Leviathan 3.0 is one of the first 29" wheeled full suspension mountain bikes ever made. This Lenz BIke is still the best choice for cross country racers and endurance riders. The Leviathan 3.0 is one of the Lightest 29er full suspension mountain bikes on the market.

• 29 inch wheels
  • 3 inches travel front and rear
  • 80mm or 120mm forks are suitable
  • 135mm rear wheel spacing

Read the Pro Review on This Product Here>>

Submitted by alind006 a Weekend Warrior from Fayetteville, AR

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    Weight for a full suspension 29er is really good. Blue Anodized paint is beautiful though I wish it held up better. Ground clearence is much better than others I have tried (GF Supercaliber). This bike is really really fast. Like another person posted you can almost go too fast and get past your skill level.

Weaknesses:    Fox Float RL rear suspesion that came on bike has been disappointing, but it's not the frames fault.

Bottom Line:
Great Bike. It's hard to find a full suspension 29er that will give you everything you want, but this one does it.

Favorite Trail:   Fruita

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Several Fishers

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Reba Race Fork, Fox Float Rear

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from Kansas

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2007

Strengths:    handles great,frame is super light...Great craftmanship

Bottom Line:
This bike is great.. it rides great ,it out turned and goes over rocks and climbs better than my old Cannondale Raven ever thought about(and I love my Raven) . I am totally pleased with the bike and couldn't ask for anything better.
The craftmanship in the welding ,machining,and forming is high quality.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Horizon

Purchased At:   frame @ Hieh Gear in Emporia componets @ L&M in Wichita

Similar Products Used:   tested a lot of 29ers before buying this bike..

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Reba,Rock Shox MC3.3 on the rear,Truvativ Noir cranks,Avid BB7 disc,Salsa Delgado disc rims with DT Swiss hubs,Mythos XCII tires

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Dripping Springs, Texas

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2007

Strengths:    Great geometry, plenty of ground clearance, sitting high, comfortable, beautiful, pictures don't do justice, handles predictably, made in USA.

Weaknesses:    sitting high

Bottom Line:
In a week I'm a better rider with more confidence and speed, I'm looking for a line, not where I am, and having more fun. I'm older, new to the sport and make my own trails, the slacker head angle and slightly longer wheel base makes all the difference, I'm not as quick as I used to be. This is The Bike.

Purchased At:   mt br classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Salsa dos Niner, all XTR, Ornee wheels, BB7, Monkey Lite, Thomson, clips

Bike Setup:   Curiak wheels, King, Stans, Thomson, XTR,BB7,clips

Submitted by Chris Pitts a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC - USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2007

Strengths:    Frame-build quality. All-Around Ability (for 29er).

Weaknesses:    Stand-over height.
Water bottle cage placement is 'tight' (for large bottles)
ONLY problem has been with the Fox rear shock. Known issue with it bottoming out and sticking. They replaced it and no issue since.

Bottom Line:
I wasn't goign to make the big wheel transition. But unfortunately, an accident required two rebuilds of my wrist and family/job requirments shifted ride focus to 'fun & epic' rather than race. So I needed a bike setup that was more all-around capable AND wasn't as harsh for blasting through and or over the rough (rooty, twisty) eastern mountain stuff I ride. But I was not willing to give up climbing prowess.
Tested several friend's various 29ers. Obvious from first ride that the big wheel gig was much better for my wrist. (less work, impact getting over obstacles)
And when they get rolling - they get ROLLING! So fire roads, and long straights are a blast.
Read reviews - and more reviews - and more reviews. Then talked to a couple of LENZ owners. Got consistent feedback:
-travel is controlled, no significant 'bob'. (DITTO for me!The comments from other 'bobbers' must mean they just haven't dialed in their suspension)And it's not a 'big travel rig' - but who needs that 'if' you're going to also climb?
-frame is relatively light, and 'quicker' than most big wheel rigs (DITTO for me! Am suprised at how nimble the bike is. A 'necessary' attribute over here on the eastside!)
-climbs like a goat (DITTO in spades! This was a surprising bonus. Not only does it climb as well as my previous bikes, I think I climb better! Even with a few more pounds of bike, the big wheels, the geometery, the suspension - something - has enabled me to clean stuff I've not been able to before. As may age is getting 'more' and my training is getting 'less' - HAS to be something from the bike.)
-value (DITTO. For this kind of quality from a small shop, the 'others' are MIGHTY proud of their wares. Sure it's still a good chunk of change. But quality COSTS. It just seems that what I've paid for in the LENZ is quality - not 'brand'.)
-'looks'. This is a personal thing. But got to tell ya, it'll turn some heads. Nothing dramatic - just enough to be different.
DIG IT! DIG IT! DIG IT!

Favorite Trail:   ANY

Similar Products Used:   NO 29ers. Been a little wheel, racer and cc guy for 10 years.

Bike Setup:   Cane Creek Zonos wheels. SRAM 9.0 shifters, derailleurs. XT crank. Avid Juicy brakes. Mary bars. Thompson post. Candy pedals.

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Gladwin Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2007

Strengths:    Very nimble in the technical trails, climbs better than I do. Can bomb downhills with impunity

Weaknesses:    Pedal bob on the flats- I have discovered that with a more efficient pedal stroke the bob goes away.

Bottom Line:
Fast,light and climbs like the space shuttle. Confidence inspiring on downhills- be careful with this bike, it will convince you that you can ride much faster than you actually can. They aren't cheap but they do roll!

Favorite Trail:   GCTA

Purchased At:   Frame on Ebay Parts from Trails Edge

Bike Setup:   Typical set up -Race Face - Avids- Cloud Nine rear- Reba front- WTB Nano&Exi-Thompson-Scram-Delgados

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Wal-Mont, CO U.S. of A!!!

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Build quality, reasonable weight, stiffness, handling, climbing, descending

Weaknesses:    Weight, pedal-induced bobbing when trying to hammer flat sections, and forget about bottle cages.

Bottom Line:
I didn't like this bike at first, but after a lot more riding, racing, and minor fit adjustments, I absolutely love it. Despite appearances of a short wheelbase, it's super-stable on the downhills, turns on a dime, and climbs better than anything I've ridden before (besides my dirt bike...). The suspension action when hammering on flat stuff is freaking annoying, so it's nice to just reach down and flick the ProPedal lever. The rear suspension bob is the only thing keeping me from giving it 5 chilis overall.

Favorite Trail:   Classified

Bike Setup:   Reba Race, 100mm travel, Cane Creek Zonos Disc 29er wheels, Avid bb7 discs, SRAM X0, Ritchey WCS Pro bar/stem, and other stuff to shave the weight to 27lbs with race wheels, 29lbs with beater wheels. Light enough for a size L full susser, I guess.

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Wal-Mont, CO U.S. of A!!!

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Strengths:    Exceptional build quality & finish. 29ers roll nicely over stuff that would rattle a 26" rig. ProPedal feature of the RP23 is great for cranking the flat stuff. Bike is nimble and handles extremely well. Sub-30lb. 29er full susser isn't bad...and I can probably shave off a couple pounds with lighter wheels/tires.

Weaknesses:    Tips the scales at 29lbs...not super-heavy, but still a pig and I can tell when I ride it. Pedal-induced rear suspension 'bob' when seated...VERY annoying, and rear suspension doesn't do much of anything while descending out of the saddle. So, it seems that the suspension is active when I don't want it to be (climbing in the saddle) and less active when I really need it (descending out of the saddle). This is NOT GOOD for my needs.

Bottom Line:
Unless the rear suspension issues can be overcome (doubtful), I'll consider this bike a waste of my money for its intended purpose as an XC race rig. I need to play around with air pressures and some other fit-related adjustments, but after a couple of rides, I'm not feeling the excitement that I was anticipating. This is probably going to become my training rig, and I'll end up racing the Dean hardtail. I'll give it some time and a few more rides before I come back to post my overall feedback, so consider this a 'first impression'.

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Similar Products Used:   None - this is my first 29er and my last FS rig was a Pro Flex 857 back in '97. I've been riding a Dean Colonel hardtail the past 5 years.

Bike Setup:   Reba SL fork, Avid BB7 brakes, SRAM X.O drivetrain, Bontrager wheels, RaceFace Deus XC crank, King headset, Ritchey WCS carbon bar & WCS stem. I went light where I could, trying to keep the weight down.

Submitted by Tony Accurso a Weekend Warrior from White Plains, Ny USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Strengths:    Climbs extermely well, well balanced,accellerates quickly,rolls over anything, Damn sexy!!

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Great bike! At 6'5", this bike feels right. Turns on a dime, flickable, smooth, light, climbs like crazy. The bestbike I've ever owned.

Favorite Trail:   The Monster

Similar Products Used:   Salssa Dos 9, turner, ellsworth, intense, etc.

Bike Setup:   Xo drivetrain. Marta brakes,Thomson cockpit, I9 wheelset

Submitted by Troy Williams a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2006

Strengths:    Corners far better than I anticipated. Levels out small bumps to a degree beyond expectations. Short steep climbs are easier. Rolls very well/fast.

Weaknesses:    None in the frame, I've still got some components that I'm setting to my liking and several of them are sub par IMO. Don't like Shimano cleats, questioning the White Bros Magic Fork as it's very noisy, and not too keen on the Avid Brakes.

Bottom Line:
Sweet bike, taking some getting used to. Honestly didn't feel as solid as my 26" Trance in the descents through rock gardens, but had many other pluses. I switched the fork at the last minute to the White Brothers and I'm not sure it was a good move as I'm partial to the Reba and it's plush nature. Really can't stand the brakes or the pedals. The rest of the bike and particularly the hubs, head set and bars are very nice and I'm catching on to the SRAM X0's after being a Shimano XT rider for 15 months. Overall, a very good deal on a demo bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bell Loop

Purchased At:   Slippery Pig, a demo bike

Similar Products Used:   Ventana El Cap 29, GF 292, El Mariachi rigid SS 29r, My current 26" Giant Trance 2

Bike Setup:   The Industries Flight System bars, which ROCK! XO drive train. Deus Cranks, Avid Disc brakes, White Bros 100mm Magic fork, Chris King Hubs and Head Set, Salsa Delgado rims, Bontrager Tires 2.2, WTB Laser Saddle

Submitted by Dan Woods a Cross Country Rider from Plainfield, IL

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    This bike is very smooth especially over ruts and in the ditches. It is light, the Propedal rocks, it climbs like a monkey, the additional traction in the mud is way better than a 26" ride. I was nervous about the Rock Shock fork versus the Fox but it seems every bit as good if not better.

Weaknesses:    NONE.

Bottom Line:
29 ers rock and I was nervous about making the change but I so glad I did. The Leviathan is light and fast.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Peoria

Purchased At:   Slippery Pig Bikes

Similar Products Used:   2004 Klein Palomino V Disc with the upgraded Maverick link, Mavic Crossmax XL wheels, XT components, Thompson seatpost.

Bike Setup:   SRAM X.9 derailers
Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 tires
Deus Stem

Submitted by Eric from SE Washington The Edge of Hell

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2006

Weaknesses:    Not the bikes fault necessarily, but the Fox Shock (RP3) has some minor Bob (even with infinite fiddling with air pressures, etc. it still bobs a bit more than I would expect it to). I've been told the Rock Shox MC3.3 does not do this.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely the best FS bike I have ever ridden (excluding the minor beef I have with the Fox shock). It takes abuse, climbs extremely well, corners better than any bike I've ridden (the tires have something to do with that too), decends like no other XC machine out there. WOW is all I can say every time I ride it...find one and get a ride on it and you will be convinced that it is a top bike.

Similar Products Used:   Fisher 292, and a whole hoard of 26 inch FS bikes over the past 10 years...

Bike Setup:   Nicely at 25.5 lbs, blah, blah, blah...with Maxxis Ignitors run tubeless (for the thorny hell I live in).

Submitted by Eric Camp a Cross Country Rider from Searcy AR USA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Strengths:    Great at correcting bad lines on off Camber turns, you can move the front end to the middle of the trail with oversteering easily. No bobbing or weaving. Stiff frame with no flex. Plenty of room in the cockpit especially while climbing. No rear wheel spinout on loose uphill climbs even while standing. Floats over the trail and I do not have the sensation of going over the handlebars on logs, ledges, or creek crossings. Carries speed into corners well even after breaking to pick a line.

Weaknesses:    1. I weigh in at 190 lbs and there was creaking on the big gears from the get go. I switched the skewers to XT from DT Swiss and it stopped immediatly.
2. Long way to the ground if you are used to staying seated while stopping.
3. Cumbersome to load and unload on truck.

Bottom Line:
This is an investment that you will be glad you made! Lightweight and solid build that is easy to clean because of the few number of braces on the suspension, plush ride with better handling downhill and UP. No bobbing or bottoming out even while standing from the rear end. I got the bike in 12 days after order placement from Mike Curiak at Big Wheels LLC.

I have MTBed. for 12 years and I wanted a customized component build from the start that I would not have to wait 6 weeks on. If your current bike is twitchy and you feel compacted while climbing and you would like to loose the feeling of going over the handlbars at every creek crossing or log rollover this bike is worth looking into.

Favorite Trail:   Syllamo

Purchased At:   Big Wheels LLC

Similar Products Used:   This is the first 29er I have owned.

Bike Setup:   Lenz Sport Leviathon XL green color
Fork: RockShox Reba® Race 29er Fork King Headset Flat Black (with PopLoc) set at 80 mm travel

Stem: Thompson Elite 25.4 x 110mm: 30mm spaces (under stem)

Handlebar: LP Composites carbon riser bar (26” wide, 2” rise)
Grips: Oury

175mm with Bottom-Bracket

Chain: SRAM® PC-991 9-Speed

Cassette: Sram cassette 11-34

Tires: Maxxis Igniters

Wheelset: DT 240s hubs, DT Competition (butted 2.0/1.8) spokes, alloy nips, laced 3x to Bontrager Mustang Disc OSB rims.

Submitted by Larry Beute a Racer from Hollywood

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2006

Strengths:    Very stiff for a light frame, my digital scale at the shop read 5.5 for my large. Climbs and decends really well. No chain slap or shifting problems. Who ever did the anodizing did a great job.

Weaknesses:    Setting the bike up for an aggressive race stance is very hard to achieve, but I did get it there after several changes. I set my Reba Fork to 85mm and inverted a 10 degree Thomson stem. Stickers easily damaged, Logos whould be painted on.

Bottom Line:
Once I got the bike set up the way I like it, it totally rules!! It runs over anything, sucks up almost everything and climbs better than my Santa Cruz Blur. Log overs are almost a joke when executing them and rocky technical downhill sections are much easier than on my 26 wheels. The bike carries a lot more speed into and through corners and definitely can hit and carry 27-30mph on the flats. Everyone told me that it would not handle tight turns very well, those are the non-believers. Absolutely "NO" issues with tight turns or tight S turns. Bike is easy to lean and counter steer to keep momentum through corners. For XC riding, 85mm and 3 inch rear travel seem perfect. Two small changes (adjust to 100mm and Turn the stem back upright) and you can be right into a All-Mountain setup. Overall I have to give this 5 Chilis .. Ride one and you'll never go back to that old 26 inch bike... I am looking forward to racing this puppy in the 2006 Fall season..

Favorite Trail:   MarkHam Park

Purchased At:   Active Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Rode a steel On-One Inbred once and liked it. Been racing a Santa Cruz Blur over the past several years.

Bike Setup:   Silver anodized Frame, 100mm Reba Race w/pop-loc, Fox RP3 rear shox, FSA V-drive cranks, Avid disc brakes, Chris King hubs laced onto the new WTB SpeedDisc Trail rims, Kenda Karma tires, SRAM XO shifer components, Thomson seatpost and stem, Easton carbon bars, WTB rocket v seat.

Submitted by tyron biggins a Cross Country Rider from Socal

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2006

Strengths:    Extremely light, 5.4lbs for an XL. Climbing machine that also does great on single track and downhill. Awesome anodized finish with great overall build quality. Mine is 26lbs as build. Could easily lose another pound if I wanted to spend some money.

Weaknesses:    Front end is a little high with a 100mm Reba.

Bottom Line:
Bike is great overall. Slightly under gunned for the tougher "All Mountain" type of trails. Otherwise it simply murders XC trails. It goes up/down/corners stupidly well. It feels like it has slightly more travel than the 3" advertised. My only knock is that the front feels a little high when running a Reba at 100mm. I am running a 5d Thompson stem upside down to compensate. Don't let the lack of travel fool you on this frame, it is very stiff/solid/beefy for its light weight.

Purchased At:   Devin Lenz

Similar Products Used:   None. Never owned a 29 FS before purchase.

Bike Setup:   XO RD and shifters, XTR FD, XT 180mm cranks, Reba 100mm, Chris King & Velocity VXC wheels, Magura Marta brakes.

Submitted by chuckc71 a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, KY USA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2006

Strengths:    By far the best bike I've ever owned. Has everything I want in a bike: traction, comfort, lightness, speed.

Weaknesses:    Devin did not bore the seat tube deep enough. Luckily it just enought for my 400+mm Thomson post. Water also toasted a bottom bracket. I can only assume it got in from the top. Third and a minor style point: I got the blue based on the website. What I received was much darker and less attractive. I would have picked another color if I knew it would look the way it did.

Bottom Line:
This is really a great bike. I know everyone thinks that. I tell you, I had a Santa Cruz Heckler that didn't descend as well as this bike. I had a Giant NRS that didn't climb as well. Sure, it's a 29er and different. But, this bike still outperforms both of the 29er hardtails I own. I don't feel any flex nor do I have any ghost shifting issues. All my buddies love the ride.

Purchased At:   Devin