Lenz Sport Behemoth 29er Full Suspension

MSRP : $1975.00

The Lenz Sport Behemoth was the first long travel All Mountain 29er mountain bike, and it has proven itself to perform and last under the abuse of the most aggressive trail riders. This Lenz bike features 5 inches of plush travel and incorporates our revolutionary short rear geomrtry necessary to give longer travel 29ers balanced handling with no nose dive.

• 5 inches of travel front and rear
  • Works with 120mm, 130mm, 135mm, and 140mm forks
  • Lighweight and durable press-fit downtube
  • 135mm rear wheel spacing (10mm through axle or bolt on hub recommended)
  • Recommended 20mm through axle front fork

Submitted by bionicman a Weekend Warrior from KINGMAN,AZ USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing, stiff, balanced feel

Bottom Line:
The bike was worth the wait. Its very balance front to rear with a lively feel for a 29er. It climbs well while keeping the front end planted but easy to loft the front over obstacles. It descends well too. Very happy with the bike as I built it up as an all day all mountain bike!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   LENZ

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper 29, niner rip 9, niner wfo

Bike Setup:   formula rx, hammerschmitd, flow/hadley, saint derailleur, fox rp23, rock shox 120mm air ti

Submitted by bonesetter2004 a Weekend Warrior from Midlands, UK

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    Extremely capable trail bike, with DH capability; slack HTA; short chainstays; holds it's line without so much as a flinch; very solid feel; climbs without issue no need for PP; Very confidence inspiring; and biggest plus - huge fun.

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur is problematic to get working right. Tried to run a 20t granny but failed as der would not go low enough despite modification of the cage it still fouls on the main pivot swing arm.
Other than that could perhaps do with a tad more rear tyre clearance. RR 2.4 will get small stones caught in the CS yoke.

Expensive for me here in the UK, but I can't blame Lenz for that

5 very long months of waiting! Ordering out of season seems a bad idea

Bottom Line:
Having owned Niners for the past two years with their relatively steep HTA's, I was looking forward to the slacked out Lenz. The Niner's felt nervy on steep downs, when encountering an obstacle on a steep, there was a tendency for the front wheel to want to be pushed underneath with the fork not riding up its stroke - an endo feeling.

I ran a WB F135 to begin with which made the bike feel heavy and slow. Changing to the Reba Team Maxle transformed the bike making it lively and light. I think the WB's would be more suited if you're doing bigger chunk/rocks etc.

I also went for a size smaller with the Lenz. Overall, I have found the bike has changed my riding style by a big margin. I ride the bike 'from the rear wheel' alot of the time, sort of BMX stylee. With singletrack bends, lean back, lift and yank the front around, back on the pedal power and out. I run the GD 1" down for singletrack/general riding and combined with the short CS's it makes for a light and very playful front. I am constantly lifting the front over stuff, and am all over the bike. The Behemoth is a huge amount of fun. More fun than the Niners, although TBF they were a little too big for me (25.25 ETT, Lenz 2" shorter!).

I have been converted to a slack front, short CS's and a smaller frame for my 29er bike. For my type of riding - wooded singletrack, steep snakes and ladders short up and downs, fast rutted long descents, and generally playing - wheelie dropping off and on stuff, I'm lovin' it.

Purchased At:   Lenz Sport

Similar Products Used:   Niner RIP 9 & SIR 9

Bike Setup:   50mm stem with 15mm spacer and 2" risers; Gravity Dropper seatpost; Reba Team Maxle 120; Formula Mega; Stans Flows Nevegal front, Ramapge rear; XT crankset

Submitted by Tom the bomb a Weekend Warrior from alta loma, ca.

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2009

Strengths:    Very solid and quiet., I love the look.

Weaknesses:    Can't run a triple , The front derallieur need special configuration to work correctly, devon will give you the 411 but it should be in bike build info.

Bottom Line:
This bike begs to be hammered standing and ridden hard downhill, jumps smooth and balanced. The short chain stays make this bike handle the switchies with ease unlike any other 29r I have ridden. The rp23 needs to have the medium compression setting from the factory in my opinion. It will handle the rough stuff better and be able to run a little more rebound. Flip the propedal on the shock and go baby, this bike moves forward. The xxl fits me perfect. I am 6'4" . I put a white bros. fluid on it and have finally gotten it figured out. This fork is a little finniky, The key is to run 5 -6 pumps of air in the comp side. I also installed a bottom out spring in the spring side. As is this thing floats over everthing. I seem to be riding this bike over everything else.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan trail

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   pivot 429 , Ellsw evolve, turner dw sultan, kona 29r

Bike Setup:   hope and stans wheel set , x9 and avids.

Submitted by crashtestdummy a Cross Country Rider from Cedar City, UT

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2007

Strengths:    Well built bike, 5" of travel, light for it's size and travel. Unique. 29" wheels.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It fits me great (XL) and is perfect for the type of riding I do. Devin Lenz has great customer service. This is a great bike for tall riders. 29" tires are perfect for rides like Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek.

Favorite Trail:   Little Creek

Purchased At:   LenzSport

Similar Products Used:   Dos Niner, Leviathan, Spyder

Bike Setup:   XT, White Bros. Fluid 130, DT 440 hubs & Ryno Lite rims, Thomson stem and post, 8" rotors.

Submitted by TONY ACCURSO a Cross Country Rider from WESTCHESTER NY

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Strengths:    STREGNTH, FOR ONE. ALSO, QUALITY, DESIGN, EXECUTION, REALLY EVERYTHING

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is...the best bike I've ever ridden. Rocks, rollers, rocky stream crossings, climbs, single track, fire roads, drops. It does it all. Rails turns.
Built up 31 lbs., doesnt feel like it.
Great job, Devin.

Favorite Trail:   STINGER

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   BRIARCLIFF BIKE WORKS

Similar Products Used:   Lots and lots of other bikes, 26 and 29

Bike Setup:   Xl frame, thompson cockpit easton composite bars, left xo gripshift, right xo, king hubs on stans arches,old skool Grimecia XT brakes, 8" front. 6" rear

Submitted by Brett a Racer from Plymouth, NH

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2007

Strengths:    this bike kicks ass. it corners on rails, it fits.... not many bike makers make bikes big enough for my 6'8" Frame

Weaknesses:    Trying to find a good long travel fork that I can afford in 29". price "yes I know it is hand built in America" thats what makes it so good..

Bottom Line:
I love this bike after so many years riding hardtails and bikes that are to small the first day I rode it I could climb hills I had never climbed before....