LaPierre Zesty Trail 29er Full Suspension

The Zesty Trail, with specific OST+ 120 mm geometry and 29’’ wheels, is an incredible all-rounder. In order to create a go anywhere, do anything bike, Lapierre engineers developed the best weight/energy efficiency/anti-pump/shock absorbing quality. With e:i Shock on 4 of the models, a 120 mm fork, 1x11 or 2x10 drivetrain and specialist parts, the Zesty Trail is a fun ride and is ready to take you on any mountain adventure.

Submitted by DAVID ANDERSON

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2014

Strengths:    Climbing, downhill, cross country

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur is pretty darn close to the back wheel, rear chain stay tubing very big diameter, super strong but wider than other bikes

Bottom Line:
I am super happy with the Zesty and would give this bike 5 chili's except I don't ever give a perfect review. A great climber and very plush downhill, I am 57 years old and don't bomb the downhills and this bike has been perfect for me so far, I was concerned about the turning radius with a 29er, but found I could actual negotiate most up hill hair pin turns better than on my 26er, you seem to just "roll through" any thing that comes along as long as you have your momentum up, which is easy to do on this bike. A far as down hill hair pin turns it seems to handle just as good as my 26er. the handle bars are a bit wide, but those can be cut down about an inch and will be perfect. My first ride found me only walking 1 small section of a ride I do, when on my 26er I would have to walk 2-3 small sections and my 26er is about 4 lbs lighter, this bike is very efficient, I found that in many situations a little spurt of energy went a lot further than I was used to. Judging by my sore butt, I can assume it rides pretty stiff when in pro-pedal mode. The geometry seems to put me a little forward but assuming I can make the necessary adjustments to get it dialed in perfect.
In the similar price range I rode the Giant, Trek, Specialized, Kona and Davinci and found the Zesty to be a good value with components, weight and ride.