LaPierre Zesty Trail 29er Full Suspension

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The Zesty Trail, with specific OST+ 120 mm geometry and 29’’ wheels, is an incredible all-rounder. In order to create a go anywhere, do anything bike, Lapierre engineers developed the best weight/energy efficiency/anti-pump/shock absorbing quality. With e:i Shock on 4 of the models, a 120 mm fork, 1x11 or 2x10 drivetrain and specialist parts, the Zesty Trail is a fun ride and is ready to take you on any mountain adventure.

Submitted by madriverman a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2015

Strengths:    This bike is unlike any bike you'll ever ride. The geometry is solid, comfortable and clean. The suspension at 5 inches in front and rear is ample. The carbon is strong (so far). And it corners like its stuck to the dirt. Oh, and there's this little thing about the electronic suspension...that...will...blow...your...mind. Imagine your fork talking to your rear in less than 0.1 seconds saying things like, "oh, he's climbing, let's lock it out for him..." or "oh he's rolling over some small rocks, let's open it up a little..."

Pretty remarkable technology. As a result, she climbs like a mountain goat.

Super fun ride. For not $9000...

Weaknesses:    A little mix matchy when it comes to components, but I couldn't care less about that. The tires are pretty mid range too...
Some people don't like the "szveep" sound that the electronic suspension makes. I think it's cool. And the bike is a little heavy, weighing in around 29lbs for the large frame. If you're not a weight weenie, this won't bother you.

Bottom Line:
I was coming off a 2008 Santa Cruz Blur XC with a Float 32 (150mm) in the front (but have ridden many other newer 29ers as well). After one ride, it was all different. I could climb switchbacks that I couldn't in the past. I could descend rock gardens I couldn't in the past. And I generally had more left in the tank for the extra last push...I felt like that never happened before. Is it just the psych of having a new whip? Maybe...but I am 3 months in now and the psych has worn off.

LaPierre broke the mold with this one. Super impressed.

Favorite Trail:   The RAT (Ridgway Area Trails)

Duration Product Used:   3 months so far

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by S. Anderson

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2015

Strengths:    Geometry is dialed
Formula brakes
E:I shock!!!
Raceface wheels and cranks
Build quality

Bottom Line:
Amazing climber and descender. I looked at Trek, Santa Cruz, Specialized and Rocky Mountain. Lapierre build quality and attention to detail are unmatched. Take the time to demo one and find a dealer. You won't regret it. It's a very fast bike that instills confidence. The E:I shock works well. I've tried to trick it but it works flawlessly. All around a great trail bike.

Submitted by DAVID ANDERSON

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2014

Strengths:    Climbing, downhill, cross country

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur is pretty darn close to the back wheel, rear chain stay tubing very big diameter, super strong but wider than other bikes

Bottom Line:
I am super happy with the Zesty and would give this bike 5 chili's except I don't ever give a perfect review. A great climber and very plush downhill, I am 57 years old and don't bomb the downhills and this bike has been perfect for me so far, I was concerned about the turning radius with a 29er, but found I could actual negotiate most up hill hair pin turns better than on my 26er, you seem to just "roll through" any thing that comes along as long as you have your momentum up, which is easy to do on this bike. A far as down hill hair pin turns it seems to handle just as good as my 26er. the handle bars are a bit wide, but those can be cut down about an inch and will be perfect. My first ride found me only walking 1 small section of a ride I do, when on my 26er I would have to walk 2-3 small sections and my 26er is about 4 lbs lighter, this bike is very efficient, I found that in many situations a little spurt of energy went a lot further than I was used to. Judging by my sore butt, I can assume it rides pretty stiff when in pro-pedal mode. The geometry seems to put me a little forward but assuming I can make the necessary adjustments to get it dialed in perfect.
In the similar price range I rode the Giant, Trek, Specialized, Kona and Davinci and found the Zesty to be a good value with components, weight and ride.