Kona Satori 29er Full Suspension

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

The Buddhist term for enlightenment, what's considered a first step toward nirvana, Satori epitomizes the sensation you'll get from our new 130mm travel 29er dual suspension mountain bike. Using a swing link version of our legendary 4-Bar linkage, we're able to create an aggressive all-mountain trail bike with relatively long travel for a 29er, while still keeping a short wheelbase and compact chainstays for quick acceleration, great trail handling, lots of standover and awesome rider fit. Featuring a stiff 142x12 rear axle, tapered headtube, ISCG 05 tabs, direct-mount front derailleur and cartridge-sealed bearings, take the Satori step. Nirvana is pretty sweet.

• Fox FLOAT RP2 rear shock
  • Avid Elixir 5 brakes
  • Easton Vice 29er wheelset
  • SRAM X7/X9 10-speed drivetrain

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Patrick a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2013

Strengths:    Great descending prowess, perfectly balanced suspension and solid parts.

Weaknesses:    Very rear-weighted geometry, not good for technical climbs. Must stand up to get over most uphill obstacles as the nose of the seat isn't far forward enough to take the weight off the rear wheel. Bike frequently was stopped dead in its tracks going uphill by the rear wheel halting progress on a rock. It can get exhausting trying to stand up for EVERY rock on a long climb. Grips are too thin and need replacement asap. The rest of the parts are fine.

Bottom Line:
    I took this out as a rental for a 4 hour ride in Durango, Colorado. The parts were very impressive - great shifting, braking, and very well balanced suspension with easy to use lockout on both shocks while riding. The ride was uphill for 2.5 hours then downhill for 1.5 hours. The uphill portion was tolerable, but generally frustrating, leaving me wondering what was wrong with my bike skills. Most technical ascents ended with walking the bike (even in the easiest gear) as the bike would simply lock up the rear wheel on larger rocks. The larger 29er wheels and rear-weight bias made turning while going up the switchbacks also embarrassingly awkward and fail-prone. I'm not used to being thwarted by any uphill technical obstacle, so this was a bit more of a shock to me than it would be to other riders that are more used to free-ride-oriented all-mountain bikes. On the downhill though, the bike's true purpose became evident. It ate up all obstacles in the way and was fairly good at scrubbing off speed when things got too hairy. It never crashed no matter how fast or out of sorts the situation got, but it did give my hands a good thrashing during the rock gardens while I held on. It felt like a good jumper, but sadly, there weren't many jumping opportunities, just speed and small to medium rocks.

Duration Product Used:   4 hours

Purchased At:   Durango

Similar Products Used:   2005 Rocky Mountain Slayer 30
    Vassago Jaberwocky (fully rigid)
    Klein Attitude Comp

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Cole

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2013

Strengths:    geometry, geometry, component selection (at least on the 2012), tires, seatpos

Weaknesses:    weight. this bike is a little heavy in the rear end.

Bottom Line:
    I was dared by a friend of mine who is a shop manager to take a 2012 Kona Satori out for a weekend. my other bikes are a Yeti ARC and Turner 5 Spot. both wonderful, both capable and both proven. My purpose of trying an all mountain 29er was to prove that big wheels were bad. however - once home with the Kona I took a quick spin in my driveway and was immediately intrigued. here is what I was told and what I found:

Climbing (steep/lose) - I was told that this would be challenging if not impossible.
    what I found: This bike will climb anything that my hard tail or 5 spot will climb...and more efficiently.

Descending - I was told that the wheels tend to wash and that cornering was tempermental
    what I found: i'm not a huge agro DH junkie. i'm a technical trail XC rider. this bike did everything I needed it to while pointed downhill and more. loose gravel - great, loose dry dirt - great, mud - great, roots - great. little jumps (under 4') - great.

summary: I sold me turned and picked up a Satori and am very pleased.

the SLX groupset is fantastic. better than my old XT, and so far flawless! get one, enjoy it. ride!

Submitted by Howeler a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2013

Strengths:    Rock solid, smooth. Great parts value.

Weaknesses:    Stock grips are thin. Weight (for some XC types I guess)

Bottom Line:
    Where and what I ride: Southern California, Southwest Utah and Arizona. Long fire road climbs that lead to technical single track descents, some chunk. Not a hucker, but will boost a lip now and then. Not worried about getting from A to B as fast as possible.

2013 Kona Satori: Solid and Smooth

This thing is a beast. After testing many new 29’ers this one simply crushes them. Kona nailed the geometry on this bike (slack HA – short chain stays). From the first few pedal rotations I knew I made the right decision.

It doesn’t ride like any of the 29ers I tried; it rides similar to my 6” Giant Reign. I rode tight switchbacks with no issues, hit some large rock gardens and simply plowed over them, truly a “point and shoot” type of ride. Really odd to me that this 29er rides so similar to an all mountain 26er…just faster.

Flick-ability you ask? YES!
    3-4 foot jumps? Balanced in flight and composed on landings.
    Steep drops? Hang on and let it rip.

I stormed up some long fire road climbs and really didn’t notice the weight. The front end doesn’t wander on steep climbs. It’s the same weight as my Reign (about 30 lbs) but rolls so much faster over everything. I tried all the CTD settings on the shocks and left them in the Trail mode. Downhills are super fun on this bike, the faster it goes the smoother it feels. Stable and doesn't deflect off rocks. I even did a few miles of pavement to get to a trail head and it rode much faster than the Reign did.

The suspension design is simple, effective, very active and smooth throughout the travel. I thought it would be less plush than the Maestro design but it’s not. One nice thing about this design is that it’s really easy to clean compared to the Maestro with all its pivots and close tolerances.

Most bikes I test rode were too nervous or had just an odd feeling to them, not the Satori. The only bike that was the most similar was the Yeti SB95. I wanted that bike but thought the ride quality and parts value of the Kona made it a much better deal.

If you want a no nonsense great neutral handling bike that instills confidence in technical terrain, this is your ride.

If you're looking for a weight weenie XC racer-boy bike look elsewhere.

Yup, I drank the New Generation 29’er Kool-aid, and it’s very tasty!

Favorite Trail:   Lot's of them!

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   Centre City Bikes, E

Submitted by jeff

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2012

Strengths:    Great ride and price. A very playful 29" bike that is more versatile than most 29ers in its price range.

Weaknesses:    Wish there was more than one accessory package available. The sizes seem to run large. I usually fit an 18" frame but felt like the satori in 18 was too large for me. I went with the 16 since there isn't a 17 option, and it fits well.

Bottom Line:
    Great entry level fs 29" bike that will and can do as much as higher end bikes.

Submitted by Stu Pidassle

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    Makes rocks and roots disappear, rolls over everything.

Weaknesses:    Stock grips are too thin

Bottom Line:
    This bike is amazing. If you ride technical trails, it does everything well. It climbs well, the front tire is easy to lift and the long travel 29er platform does the rest.

Kona 2015 : no more Satori...?

Kona has released is new range on their website : [url=http://www.konaworld.com/bikes.cfm]KONA BIKES | 2015 BIKES[/url] The Honzo and process 111 are still here, but i can't find the Satori anymore...Read More »

Scott Genius 740 or Kona Satori 29er?

Hi Just joined the forums, looking for some advice from everyone on what FS to buy. I ride a Devinci Jack XP 29er and want now to purchase my first FS bike. I have looked around and found two bikes which I like, they are 1. Kona Satori 29, on for $2399 from $3699 great sale price! 2. Scott Genius ... Read More »

RIP Satori

Looks like Kona has dropped the Satori for 2015. Hate to see this bike go away after only a 3 year life. I worked for Kona from 1995-2002 and so owned many a Konan bike in my day. The Satori which I got in summer 2012 is the most fun bike I have owned to date, Kona and otherwise. I dropped seriou ... Read More »

b9er Kona Satori

I'm a fan of all wheel sizes and have ridden 29ers since 2006 but as much as I wanted to love the Satori as it was, it wasn't working for me other then super fast descents where it was fun. I tried full on, front n rear 650b setup and it felt the same...just awkward is the best I could describ ... Read More »

A b9er Kona Satori

Let's start with a little History. I started riding 29er's back in 2006. Before that I owned mostly 26" hardtails from Raleigh, Santa Cruz, and Cove. I jumped to full suspension in 2004 on a Jamis XLT which I broke two times and I went back to the hardtail with a steel Cove Handjob that had a 130mm ... Read More »