Kona Hei Hei 29 Supreme 29er Full Suspension

Designed for those looking to rain serious trail fire on everything from the BC Bike Race to the TransAlp, the Hei Hei 29 Supreme is the culmination of everything fast and awesome in a 100mm-travel, 29-inch-wheel race bike. Featuring the incredible lightweight, strong and smooth riding characteristics of new Kona Scandium 6069 Butted tubing, with suspension performance and geometry designed specifically to find that perfect balance between great climbing and technical riding, the Hei Hei 29 Supreme features top-drawer components selected to knock off podiums like sitting ducks. This is one of the sweetest, fastest, most glorious mountain bikes we've ever made.

• Fox Float 29 FIT RLC 100 tapered fork
  • 142x12mm rear axle
  • SRAM X9 10-speed drivetrain
  • Easton EA 70 XCT 29er wheelset

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Goat a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2012

Strengths:    +Weight--22 inch frame at 27 pounds
    +Parts Spec is hard to beat
    +Rear suspension is efficient climbing and pedaling, while still being active and smoothing out the ride
    +Formed Scandium tubing is beautiful

Weaknesses:    Just a general comment as I shopped around quite a bit before committing to this bicycle; how did good bikes get so expensive? I felt this part spec for this price was a good buy. I looked hard at Specialized Epic and Camber, Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly 100, and the new Cannondale Scalpel 29er. I happily ended up with this bike. But dang stuff gets expensive quick!

Bottom Line:
    Kind of long story....I in fact wanted the Kona Hei Hei Supreme. I worked with my local Kona dealing bike shop, and found Kona had no more 22 inch Supremes to ship for the season. So we got the Hei Hei Deluxe frame, and swapped all parts out so that except for the color of frame (silver/black/lime green), I in fact ended up with the Supreme part spec on a 22 inch frame. Much kudos to my local bike shop for their flexibility and resourcefulness.
    This is my first dual suspension bike, after riding hardtails for 18 years. Now that I am 35, I find my back stiffens up after 2 hours in the saddle. Hands go numb after rockgardens. So why not try to get double the relief by getting a 29er with full suspension. So far, my plan is working perfectly! The ride is amazing. The ProPedal mode on my Fox RP23 is very cool for those long ginding climbs. My swapped out Ergon grips helped with the hand fatigue, and how about those 29 inch wheels? Pretty cool difference noticed in the momentum I keep on flats coasting. I feel less scattered in rockgardens as well.
    Research your bike purchase, ride/demo if you can. And one place you should look is the Kona Hei Hei 29 Supreme/Deluxe.

Favorite Trail:   Stewart Land Preserve NY