Intense Tracer 29 29er Full Suspension

The Tracer 29 gives all the benefits of big wheels and VPP with the benefit of long travel, adjustable from 5-5.5" . Based on the 26" Tracer frame design this frame will tame any rough trail and leave a huge grin on your face. Features -1.5? Head Tube -G1 rear dropout mount system accepts 142x12 Shimano, SyntaceX12, or standard 135QR dropouts -73mm BB Width -ISCG-05 Chain Guide Tabs -Adjustable Travel From 5"-5.5" -Fox Float RP23 Rear Shock 7.875? x 2.25? -Next Generation VPP Linkages For Even Better Pedaling Efficiency -Angular Contact Bearings And Zerk Fittings On Lower Link -Fox RP23 shock stock, Cane Creek Double Barrel upgrade shock option available -Custom Color paint Options also available

Submitted by Telemahn a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2013

Strengths:    Relatively stiff, pedals well and descends great at high speeds, good at lower speeds

Weaknesses:    Not exactly plush
Gravel gets in the linkage
linkage bearings wear easily

Bottom Line:
This was a big step up from my previous ride. XL is 32lbs ready to roll, but climbs nearly as well as my 28lb 26er. The big wheels and slack angles are great on chutes and steep descents. No quality issues on the frame whatsoever. Welds are super clean and machining looks very nice.

Favorite Trail:   Ryan's Eternal Flow

Haven Aluminum wheels
KS i900

Submitted by Chris Washington a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Strengths:    Performance is through the roof especially when climbing; feels like it's 5 pounds lighter. USA made quality. Looks sweeeeeet.

Weaknesses:    PRICE!!! I don't know where MTBR got their MSRP from but it's more like $2600. The WB is little on the long side but I have not noticed it being a problem at all. I weigh 225 in full garb and the rear end is as stiff and any other bike that I have owned.

Bottom Line:
Where do start? This was my first 29er FS and I have to admit the kool-aid is goooood. Bombs downhill, eats terrain on the flats and climbs better than any FS I have ever owned. I ride 30 to 60 miles a week and have yet to have a problem that a little loctite did not fix.

Favorite Trail:   The one that I am riding.

Similar Products Used:   26er in a range of flavors from MC SA, Jamis XAM, Trek Liquid, Trek Remedy

Bike Setup:   Size large with Marz 44 Micro Ti, XT 785 all around, Thomson, I9s Enduros. Weighs in at 30.8 pounds.

Submitted by Shawn217 a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia pa, USA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    Made in USA . Frame very stiff. No peddle bob at all. No peddle kick back that I could feel. Climbs like a goat. Absolutely great on the rocky root filled trails of the north east.

Weaknesses:    This bike is a little loud. The frame transfers sound well. Rap the chain stay and all is well.

Bottom Line:
This was my first ground up build. Took me a long time to get all the parts I wanted. I did a lot of research on frame and components that I wanted. This was my first 29er and what a great bike it turned out to be. This bike climbs great and goes down even better. We have a lot of tight and twisty single track it handles the tight turns very well. I never hit this bikes limit in the turns. Never had to use the propedle lever on the shock. Zero flex in the rocks and roots. This bike is heavier then my hifi but I can't feel it on the trail it just rolls over everything in its path. In a nutshell I love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Fair hills md.

Purchased At:   Huck and roll online

Similar Products Used:   First 29er. Gary fisher hifi carbon pro,Gary fisher Kia Tia 26er and Gary fisher big sur.

Bike Setup:   Fox talas teralogic 29 120, Thomson 90mm 10 deg rise, truvativ t30 flat bar noir, xx brakes, Xtr shifters and derailers, xt crank Thomson seat post, c29ssmax rims, wtb Bronson 2.2 tires(great by the way) run tubeless, wtb rocket v slt sadle(best there is),

Submitted by pete weber a All Mountain Rider from Pitt Meadows B.C.

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2012

Strengths:    VPP suspension,

Weaknesses:    the rear triangle

Bottom Line:
This bike looks good from far but it's far from good. The amount of flex in the rear triangle of this bike is unacceptable for a cheap frame let alone for a frame that retails for $2500. I can't see how a bike builder could have not known this and yet still produced such an inferior product.
Anybody thinking of buying one, do your homework and physically check and see if your going to be happy with it first. I am not sure if the rear flexes so much to cover up some other problem that a stiffer rear end might expose. Don't be fooled by the removal of the G2 dropouts for 2012 either, every part of the rear flexes excessively.

Similar Products Used:   Niner Rip Norco Shinobi

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 44,Flows, Hope hubs,Xt , X9

Submitted by bullit07 a Weekend Warrior from aurora

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2011

Strengths:    Handles and climbs very well, much better than anticipated.

Weaknesses:    Poor mechanical design leaves you susceptible to fatigue failure.

Bottom Line:
My LBS gave me the bike to try, mostly because they had a Tracer frame hanging in the shop needing a home. My first choice is the Tallboy which is tough to get, but I tried the Tracer on some nice trails. I was really getting to like this bike, it felt confident, climbed well, no complaints. About 10K into it accelerating up a hill I heard a crack and the rear wheel was rubbing the frame. The swing link had completely failed at the rear triangle. Long walk back, on the bright side I was not on a BC float trip. If you examine the design you will see it is very poor in that the mounts are cantilevered from the body of the link, they are relatively thin with sharp edges, transitioning sharply to the thick section and the bolts do not add to the strength by nature of the arrangement. It's almost bush league engineering, you would not think Intense would do that with experience they have, maybe the bikes are designed overseas and built in the US! It was fatigue failure and most of these babies will fail the same way eventually. Too bad for an otherwise great bike. The Tallboy link is nicely engineered BTW. Value has to be low given frame price vs obvious poor engineering that can leave you stranded. Overall I would love to to give a nice rating but if you can't trust it then it isn't worth much. Years ago I owned an Uzzi and found it had a lot of poor machining, a surprise given the way the magazines spout about beautiful Intense craftsmanship. I suppose that I will continue to steer clear of this shoddy company.

Favorite Trail:   radical

Bike Setup:   Fox fork, all XO, crossmax wheels, built light as it could be keeping it strong.

Submitted by dcoffin a Cross Country Rider from Front Range, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Strengths:    All mtn geometry with 5.5" travel in a 29er is a hoot. It's plenty stiff to handle some rough stuff and speed. I spend plenty of time in the air now.

Weaknesses:    Weight - a bit heavy at 30# all in. I was used to lighter but will take the extra minutes on the ups for the fewer minutes on the downs.

Bottom Line:
Panzer capability - nothing is in the way. Downhill is a blast and pedaling up with VP is still great.

Favorite Trail:   Ute, Palmer, Falcon, Colorado

Similar Products Used:   Rode Pivot 429, SC Tallboy, Ellsworths and Niners before choosing Intense. Many 26ers including RacerX used prior.

Bike Setup:   Mostly XT with Elixr Carbon brakes, RockShox Reba 140mm, Stan's Arch tubeless with Maxis Ardent & Ignitor, XFusion HiLo seatpost with PureV seat and Easton bars. See it here: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LK5_j4oaAM8/ThnCXWzFT0I/AAAAAAAAASk/cdIV4zJVbnw/s1024/T29.jpg

Submitted by Cleatus a Weekend Warrior from Reno, Nevada

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    High quality bicycle - well designed and thought out.

Weaknesses:    Decals

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome bike! The best 29er I've ridden for the technical trails that I like to ride the most. ie Moab, Tahoe, Sierra, etc Check out our full review with photos and video at http://dhreno.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/intense-tracer-29er-review/

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Black Rock Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd 29ers from Ellsworth, Niner, Ventana, Titus at Bootleg Canyon during Interbike.

Bike Setup:   F29, RP23, Mavic Crossmax, SRAM components, Joplin adjustable seatpost,

Submitted by ricefly5 a Cross Country Rider from Grand Junction, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Strengths:    Craftsmanship, durability, geometry, adaptability, new grease zerks, new bearings, clearance. I waited for mine for 10 months. Jeff Steber called me directly to apologize for the inconvenience with their delay. I don't know if you would get that kind of customer service from other manufacturers who build out of the country

Weaknesses:    None for the frame.

Bottom Line:
Who should buy this bike? Well, if you have the MONEY and you are a taller individual who has problems fitting on 26er frames. If you enjoy CLIMBING buy this bike, the 29 wheels roll over everything and the VVP suspension really takes the pedal bob out and makes your rear wheel stick when you really need it. If you like changing you're bikes geometry to match the type of trail, the ability to change your rear suspension travel is awesome. It makes the bike feel like 2 completely different frames. If you like the idea that your frame was made, welded, engineered in the U.S.A. this is for you too.
Who shouldn't buy this bike? If you're hoping it will be as nimble as a 26er. I've taken this bike more places than any other bike I've ridden, but getting through tight turns is a bit more difficult with the larger tires. If you're hoping it will be a downhill bike. It soaks up the drops but the 32 TALAS make me nervous. They haven't bottomed out but I'm not taking them off 8 ft drops. I'd like a front fork with an inch to an inch and a half more travel with larger stanchion tubes. The extra travel would also match with the highest setting for the rear.
Because Intense has made their head tubes and dropouts, and bottom brackets, etc. able to adapt to the future if you buy this bike you will have no problem changing gear in the when you want.
I have enjoyed this bike since day one its everything I hoped it to be; light, sturdy, responsive, and really for a frame made here by hand in USA, it's pretty damn reasonable.

Favorite Trail:   401 Crested Butte

Purchased At:   Bicycle Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   None that were this expensive or good. Rode Marin for over 10 years but I finally had the money and I needed something that was going to fit me and take the punishment of a rider becoming better and taking bigger hits.

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT (new shimano 3X10) for damn near everything except... crankbrothers wheel set, 32 Talas 29 Terralogic front fork, FOX float RP23 rear shock,

Tracer 29", new love.

From Intense forum, [URL="http://forums.mtbr.com/intense/tracer-29-new-love-860364.html"]http://forums.mtbr.com/intense/tracer-29-new-love-860364.html[/URL]Read More »

Tracer 29", new love.

MY first time with the T29 was a little bit of disappointment, after a long waiting and a lot of expectation when I got on the bike immediately I knew that it isn't it... The bike was built with 120 fork, RP23, long stem and heavy wheels. So I went to other directions, I tried at least 6-7 FS 29" ... Read More »

Broken Tracer 29 linkage

I always appreciate when others post frame failures, so I think I'll share mine. Out at Vail Lake in SoCal today riding the 12 hours of Temecula route to gauge my fitness and the bike starts wallowing a bit, clicking, and skipping gears. I pull over and find the upper shoulder link is broken off. ... Read More »

Tracer 29 headset

Can anybody help. I have just purchased a tracer 29 frame and would like some recommendations for a headset to be used with a tapered steerer. Chris King do one but would like some other options. ThanksRead More »

Tracer 29 / Hans Dampf 2.35

Anyone know if a Hans Dampf 2.35 will fit in the chainstays of a Tracer 29? Anyone done it? Currently running a 2.0 Beaver, and there isn't a huge amount of room left, thinking the HD will be tight at best....Read More »