Intense Spider 29 Comp 29er Full Suspension

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

The fourth in Intense’s line of carbon fiber mountain bike frames, the Spider 29 Comp was designed for the XC/ light-trail segment and offers all of our signature features, as well as some new surprises. The Spider 29 boasts modern trail geometry while the combination of patented VPP suspension and 29? wheels are magical ingredients for maintaining rolling momentum through the rough stuff, as well as on the climbs. It brings all the features Intense is known for: adjustable travel (4.5 – 5?), G1 dropout system, proven ride quality and exceptional esthetics, but also has some new tricks up its sleeve like internal cable routing, tapered head tube, special internal cable routing for the Rock Shox Reverb Stealth dropper post and comes stock with the Fox Float CTD Kashima coat rear shock. Two travel settings allow the bike to really take on a dual personality. Use the 4.5” mode for an extremely solid pedaling platform or the longer 5” position to gobble up rocks, roots and chatter.

Submitted by Colt a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2015

Strengths:    Light weight and strong frame. Amazing pedaling efficiency, when you really hammer on the pedals it feels like someone is helping push you up the hill. Great at climbing technical climbs. Amazing on the down hill.

Weaknesses:    Rear end takes some time to get dailed in. Not overly impressed with fox CTD rear shock but will sending it to avalanche to work their magic on it. I do wish they would have incorporated some more chain stay protection like whats on the evil following. Build quality is great but paint did not appear to be even.

Bottom Line:
With a fox 36 150mm talas fork this bike can climb amazing and with a simple turn of a switch it turns into an all out descending monster. I even took it up to Northstar for a day and it did better than i expected. The rear end is extremely sensitive to the shock set up so spend some time playing with pressures and settings. My riding confidence has progressed greatly with this bike and i love everything about it. My only grip is because of my long travel fork it does feel like you're sitting on top of the bike instead of in it but not as bad as some other bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville & Nstar

Purchased At:   custom built

Similar Products Used:   Evil Following, DB Mason FS, Giant FS 27.5

Bike Setup:   Fox 36 150mm Talas, Hope e4 Brakes, Easton Haven wheels, E.13 TRS Race cranks, canfield pedals, X01 drivetrain, schwalbe Magic Mary front with DH rear set up tubeless. Race Face next 760 carbon bar with 50mm RF stem.

Submitted by Tom Bjelic a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2015

Strengths:    Light. Great around corners. Climbs great. Rear G1 dropouts help stiffen the rear end.

Weaknesses:    Pivot bolts come loose, can cause problems.

Bottom Line:
My Spider Carbon Comp went into the shop due to the pivot bolts constantly working loose, even with loctite blue. The problem is when they work loose while riding you can damage the whole pivot assemble, and that's what happened to me. This was frustrating but Intense was sending a new swing link. The shop owner was gracious enough to loan me his 2015 Carbine 29 during the 4 weeks it took to get the repair done. (I live in Canada, maybe they walked the part over) And… the bolts came loose on the carbine as well. When they hold together the bikes are sensational. Unfortunately, these bikes are made for the smooth running trails of SoCal and not for anything rough and punishing. I’m an aggressive cross country rider and strongly urge any buyers out there to reconsider if you hammer on rough technical trails. Nothing hurts more then having a 5000 dollar bike keep failing on you. You can check bolts all you want but that’s not practical during a race or mid ride. And that’s when they fail. Buyer beware. I'm not the only one this is happening to.

Favorite Trail:   3 Stage

Duration Product Used:   2 seasons

Purchased At:   Freewheel Cycle, Dun

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Nomad, Superlight. Titus Switchblade, and many others over the years.

Submitted by dubdryver a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2015

Strengths:    Amazing climber, amazing descender.
It's really a pure bread Intense steed!

This could be a strength or a weakness depending on your riding style, but it isn't a very "poppy" bike. It actually takes a lot of body language to motivate the bike to get rubber to leave the ground.

That said, the suspension grips and tracks like no other! It's really hard to get the thing to break loose!

Weaknesses:    Without a BB spacer, max chain ring size is 34T

Small creak in headset, and headset is rusted early (40 series Cane Creek)

When you wash it, make sure you flip the bike over or water sits in the frame.

One of the rear triangle link bolts comes loose fairly often even after Perma-tex Blue 232 threadlocker..I'm going to have to go heavy duty on it. To be fair though, two friends bought the same frame at the same time as me, and neither one are having the same problem....but they don't ride it as hard as me either :P

Bottom Line:
I started building this bike as my "travel" bike in November.
Originally I borrowed my custom Pacenti TL28s off my single speed. It was the only wheelset I had at the time that I had 12x142 axle for. Bike is built up with XO group and custom Atomik Carbon hoops. 720mm carbon bars and XT brakes.
It's right around 26lb as it sits. I have it in the low setting (114mm) and run a Revelation RCT3 with the normal offset. I actually prefer that offset over the 51mm that's suggested. You retain a small portion of your HTA by using the normal offset. I don't need faster steering, I carve the hell out of the bike through the corners !

Originally I had aluminum wheels on it until I got the carbons built up. I didn't realize how much flex there was in the aluminum wheels until I swapped it out for carbons. I had to drop the air in both the front and rear suspension by about 20psi. At which point I immediately say the bike come alive. It road good before, but man does it rail now! All the difference in the world. The bike is so confident in the corners. You can load the suspension going in, lean over hard and snap out, the bike just rails!

I've rode lots of chunk, and it just floats through, and loves technical climbing. It will really turn a suckfest technical situation into pure delight as it just "handles it!"

I have a Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon bought in 2010. It's been reliable and just a solid bike to ride. I took a trip out west and found it's limits fairly quickly, so I thought it was time to complement my ever growing stable with a "travel bike".

The Tallboy is faster, no question about it. It feels lighter to ride despite having heavier (American Classic AM) wheels and about the same weight bike, and it's more efficient as long as the trail permits. It climbs faster..but it really is a different class of bike. Through rough sections, the Intense floats through and you retain a lot more exit speed. I do like the way the back of the Intense responds to climbing better than the Tallboy..they both have VPP but different shocks and shock curves. The one that Intense uses is more desirable. That said the Tallboy will get you up there faster.

I haven't had much problems with the exception of what was listed in the "weaknesses"
I feel that I am being completely honest with my assessment, and concentrate on the characteristics of the frame rather than the rest of the components. Makes no sense to review the Intense and state the brakes are junk....
I did mention the wheels only because it dramatically chanced the way the bike rode. So much that it was very important to note.

Purchased At:   Fanatic Bike

Similar Products Used:   I've rode the Devinchi Atlas 29 which I absolutely liked a lot! Great alternative to the Tallboy.

I've rode the Specialized Stumpjumper Expert EVO carbon. Nah...if you're going to get into this class of bike, don't waste your time.the brain is a joke, and you'll be looking to upgrade a year or two down the road.

I've road the Yeti SB-95. Not bad, but no Intense for sure! The suspension has a real odd ball feel. I think that's why they the Switch Pivot system was short-lived.

I've rode the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT. That's a monster truck comparatively speaking. It just lofts you around through the trail. Occasionally popping you up in the air. It pedals good for feeling like a much bigger bike.

Kona Process. Cool bike, but if you want the real deal...dual small link rear suspension.
Giant Trance 29, meh...probably about the heaviest of all of them to ride. More travel but it would really need some serious upgrades to get it up to snuff. Couldn't find a stem to get a good fit for Overdrive system.

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider 29 Comp (M), black/red
SRAM XO1 group, black
RS Revelation RCT3 OEM model 130mm, 15mm T/A, black
Atomik Carbon rims (AM Mod-Hook), Bitex hubs, Sapim Lazer spokes, brass nipples (all black everything)
Michelin Wild Race'R 2.25 rubber F/R (these are a very wide 2.25!!)
Easton EC70 720mm Low-rise bars
Syncros 1.5 70mm stem
Cane Creek 40 series headset
Shimano XT M785 brakes, Magura Storm SL rotors
Shimano SLX M675 crankset 1X with Absolute Black Oval 32T
Ergon GP-1S grips

Submitted by mshred a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2014

Strengths:    The Spider has the perfect balance of climbing, downhill, and turning ability.

Weaknesses:    Minimal. My Spider had a very short stem (70mm?). If I were going to do a cross country race with steep climbs, I’d put a slightly longer stem on it to keep the nose down. But for most rides, I would keep it just the way it is.

Bottom Line:
The bike looks awesome. I love the built-in rubber protector at the bottom of the downtube by the bottom bracket, and the internal cable routing.

I was wondering how a long ride would be on a 125mm rear wheel travel bike. As a downhiller in the late 90’s and early 2000’s, I thought anything with more than 100mm travel would be inefficient. The Spider didn’t feel inefficient at all. From an efficiency standpoint, it climbs VERY similar to my Spearfish, and this is a compliment considering the Spearfish has only 80mm of rear travel. It has an advantage over a hardtail on rocky or rooty climbs, because you can keep pedaling the whole way without the rear wheel skipping. Although the top tube is a hair smaller than that of the SF, the wheelbase is 1” longer, which seems to keep the front more planted on the steep climbs.

The bike felt GREAT going downhill and turning, and pedaling through rock gardens. I’ve read countless magazine reviews saying how certain bikes isolate pedaling forces from rear wheel action, but I feel like the VPP really has it nailed. The dropper post helped too – once I remembered to use it, it really helped me get lower for turning and descending. It was perfect when I came to some drops in Fountainhead - they are small enough, and have great transitions, so you don’t really have to lower the seat to drop them -but the lower seat gave me the confidence boost to hit them.

The Revelation was soft the first day, I felt like it was diving a little too much in rock gardens. That was easily fixed with more air pressure before the 2nd ride. However when I first added air the fork bottomed, and stayed bottomed, 5 minutes into a gentle ride on a bike path with the kids. When I added air again, it held. Perhaps the shraeder valve was loose the first time? I went on a 2 hour ride after that and it felt great.

The 1x11 gearing was great and I would consider running that permanently. I’m a big fan of dropping to the small ring at the last second before a technical climb, but I occasionally drop a chain doing that. The 1x11 seems more reliable. I would happily run fewer gears with a larger ratio change between gears if that were available. I almost always change more than a gear at a time anyway in the rolling hills where I ride.

The Intense jumps and bunny hops better than my personal ride. If I compressed the suspension before a jump I would get a nice bounce, but it did not feel bouncy through faster rock sections. I’m not sure if that is a difference between rebound settings, or the suspension itself, but it was noticeable.

The Ardents were great. I had confidence on rocks and turns, so I might be switching to Ardents in the future.

Overall, the Spider is a great bike. It truly is a one-bike-does-it all bike, because I feel like I could race cross country on it, or even throw it on the back of a chair lift. And it is undoubtedly a perfect choice for long days pedaling through rocks with your friends. Now I just have to explain to the wife how badly I need one!

Duration Product Used:   2 days

Sram X01 rear derailleur. 1x11 – 42 largest in rear, 32 front
Tires: Maxxis Ardent

Submitted by johnnydirt a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2014

Strengths:    Stiff yet not harsh; solid climber; awesome chunky down-hiller (point n go); quiet - no chatter riding. Flippin gorgeous

Weaknesses:    if you've got the cash, none so far

Bottom Line:
previous reviewers have done a good job. i'll just add that after riding for 21 years and 9 bikes, I'm a much better rider on this bike. Riding the chunky stuff here in AZ is a pleasure on the Spider Comp. Bikes keep getting better - but the gap from this and my previous 575 is enormous (and I LOVED my 575). I have the confidence with this bike to take on anything here in AZ. It likes it when you just stay off the brakes and let it feast on the rocks. I did a 2 hr, 28 miler with a couple of intense uphills this past weekend. I wanted more - much more… I wouldn't hesitate do very long,epic rides on this bike. Rather, I'm looking forward to them. Muy Bueno Intense!!

Favorite Trail:   highline, Sedona

Purchased At:   Slippery Pig

Similar Products Used:   RECENT BIKES: Yeti 575; Yeti SB95 Alum; Blur XC; Orbea Alma carbon 29er; Niner SIR 9

Bike Setup:   Fox 34/140; SRAM XX1 DT (1x11 - 28fx42r); Formula R1 Brakes; Stans Flow EX's with Hope II Pro EVO's; 30" low rise bars

Submitted by smithrider a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2013

Strengths:    See below, too many to list.

Weaknesses:    Easy to pop the front for a 29er, but still tougher because its a 29er. Frame protection peeling a bit on the edges. Hopefully they hold out given I don't spray my bike with water.

Bottom Line:

Climbing

Best climbing bike I have owned bar none. Take this with a grain of salt as my stable has usually been 160mm AM bikes or hard tails. No surprise it climbs better than the AM bikes, but the hard tail superiority surprised me a bit. The exception here is the hard tails climb better when the trails are pretty smooth, as expected.

This incarnation of VPP has almost zero pedal feedback in the granny ring. A vast improvement over every VPP I have owned previously. This lack of kickback did not come solely at the cost of the venerable VPP rollover feel when descending which I will cover below. The suspension is relatively stiff off the top of the travel making it sit a bit higher in the travel than my other VPP bikes - which aids the climbing ability. With the 130mm Float and have never found the front end to wander on steep climbs or switchbacks. The slightly longer chain stays on 29ers aid in this respect. The Float far outperforms any Talas I have tried so I am happy with that decision. I have Enve wheels on the bike which also aid the climbing to an extent due to the light weight.

The negative on climbing is I do have to muscle it around tight uphill switchback more so than my 26ers, but that is an indictment of the wheel size and really isn't an issue. Overall, A in this category.

Descending

I love the long climb or ride and consider myself an all around rider, but I am a descender by background and is why I ride. Where I can accept an average climber, I cannot accept a subpar descender.

As I mentioned in a post the other day, the best barometer I had on this bike is a ride I did the other day with two buddies of mine who race Enduro and quite successfully. I can ride their rear wheels if I decide to hang it out that day but usually let them drop me ever so slightly. Riding a steep, technical single-track the other day, I was riding their wheels like I normally ride when I get slightly dropped. It was surprising and impressive. Actually, my buddy mentioned to me after the ride that he was shocked at my riding that day and chocked it up to new bike stoke. Whatever you chalk it up to, I am faster downhill on this bike than I am on my Uzzi in moderately technical and steep single-track.

Cornering

The traction on this bike is incredible (Hans Dampf front) and the more you lean, the more you are rewarded. The traction is never ending and is an impressive attribute of this bike. The potential negative I can see for smaller or less aggressive riders is it doesn't fall into a lean as easy as my Uzzi or other bikes I've owned. If you don't have aggressive leaning tendencies or are afraid to weight your front, you will find yourself under steering. Lazy steerers should not apply. That said, if you ride it in an aggressive fashion, it is as, of not more, fun in tight single-track as my Uzzi and leaves it in the dust on sweepers. Also, this is the stiffest Intense frame I have owned which also contributes to its positive handling attributes.

Chunk

The slack head angle and large wheels perform exceedingly well in chunk and at high speed. Not need to elaborate here as this is the presumed benefit of a slack 29er.

Jumping / Playfulness

You can ride this bike like a 26er pumping and jumping the trail, but it feels different. You get a slightly more stable, sailing effect. It is a different feel to a 26, not necessarily better or worse unless your sole intent of jumping is to cross it up on every launch. It is more confidence inspiring while in the air which could be a benefit for a newbie. The short stays and slack angle on this make it feel much more playful than the LTc or Rip9 I demoed last year. Unfortunately, and honestly, I think the SB95 I demoed might have a minor advantage in this area, although very minor. The biggest negative I can see with the 29er platform and the Intense is the manualing. Yes, you can ride the rear wheel but it is not as intuitive as on the 26er. Given the other advantages, and the fact it can be done with just more effort, it is worth the tradeoff.

Suspension

Compared to what I am used to with my AM bikes, it has a decidedly racy feel to the rear setup. More DW like in firmer off the top, travel disappears in mid-stroke with nice ramp at the end. Granted, I have not sent it yet on a big drop but have not bottomed it out hard to this point. As mentioned above, there is still that nice rollover feel of VPP although not as pronounced as on my Uzzi, Tracer, 6.6 etc. That said, I am enjoying this firm setup as you really feel the trail beneath you vs a more muted ride on my longer travel bikes. The travel will be sufficient for all non resort riding in Colorado and will be perfect for all of Moab, with the exception of the Whole Enchilada. Also, the quality of Intense pivots have been their weak points on previous bikes, not on this one. Looks like they copied Santa Cruz's design and it is executed beautifully.

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Enchilada

Duration Product Used:   Few Months

Purchased At:   Fanatik

Similar Products Used:   Tallboy LTC, RIP 9, SB95

Bike Setup:   Fox 34 Float (130mm), Enve AM, Yada Yada Yada....

Submitted by rakerdeal

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2013

Strengths:    I agree with all the previous writer posted.

Weaknesses:    Virtually none.

Bottom Line:
Again as previous poster wrote.

Submitted by onobed

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing
Technical downhills
Finish
Switchbacks

Weaknesses:    Adjustable geometry

Bottom Line:
I purchased one of the original spider VPP bicycles back in early 2003 or 2004. At the time I thought it was for the best bicycles I have ever ridden. Fast-forward nine years. I rode a spider 29 comp for several hours and have to say it might be the best bicycle I've ever ridden. Obviously bikes are very personal in nature. Here is my profile. If it works for me and you have a similar profile it might work for you. I ride many endurance events. I race cross country races. I love long jaunts in the saddle. I am faster uphill then down. I got a 29er because it is so efficient to ride. I find that on a 29er I can keep up with my more skilled friends on the downhill because of the way a 29 or gobbles up rocks. That said, on very steep descents, my Tallboy was a bit too tall. As I added more all mountain riding to my routine I was investigating a bike that would be more appropriate for some of the gnarly terrain I am now riding. I was looking for a bike that would allow me to go downhill even faster without negatively impacting uphill and cross-country performance.

The Spider comp is that bike. First off, the bike is gorgeous. Intense has built some of most beautiful mountain bikes ever and the spider comp is no different. It has some serious bling factor. Okay - the ride: uphill: combination of short chain stays and big tires: you will run out of legs before the bike runs out of traction. The bike will roam a bit so you need to pay attention but that is a small price to pay for the added downhill stability.

The bike does very well descending - it can cut tight turns and the combination of 5" travel and 29" tires eats up baby heads and allows you to take the most aggressive lines through rocky terrain. I was surprised at the turning radius as well - just about equal that of my Tallboy.

The only negative thing I have to say about the spider is I do not understand why there is adjustable travel. It seems like a gimmick. I doubt people could tell the difference between the two settings and more importantly at Max travel the bike performs so well there is no need for adjustment.

If I could not have two bikes I would likely simply decide upon the spider comp. However, since I'm fortunate enough to be able to have two I believe that for pure cross country racing the tallboy is better suited for that task. But not by much.

You can't go wrong with a Spider Comp.