Ibis Ripley 29er 29er Full Suspension

4.67/5 (12 Reviews)

In 2005, when Ibis' modern Mojo first touched dirt, its pedigree wasn't what caused a stir in an industry dominated by beer-can frames. An organic shape, progressive material choice, and extensive development -- which undoubtedly pointed to the future -- caused a period of high consumer demand...

Submitted by JTBAZ a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2014

Strengths:    The Ripley is stable on descents, fast in the corners and a great climber.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses noted to date. I have not had any issues with creaking or other noises as others have mentioned.

Bottom Line:
The Ripley is a very versatile trail bike which is capable of effectively handling a wide range of terrain. I was surprised at it's ability to hold its line in tight corners. Also standing out was the bikes snappy feel. Equally impressive is how stable the bike is on steep rocky descents.

Bike Setup:   Large Ripley, SRAM XX1 Drive train, Industry 9 wheelset, Fox float CTD 120, XTR brakes, Thompson seatpost, Easton stem, Enve bars, WTB saddle. Weight 24.3 lbs

Submitted by plume

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2014

Strengths:    I wanted to add something to the conversation without too much repeatable information but I think I really agree strongly with the MTBR review and awards given this past year - the Ripley is the best climbing bike I've ever ridden, hands down, ever. For every rider steep, technical, and tight switch backs are a place where most of us would like to improve - rarely does equipment alone allow for this (at least in this instance), enter this chassis - I'm cleaning technical ascents that I haven't in the past. It has so much intelligent traction, that I'm still surprised by myself and my bike in those "not sure I'm gonna make this" moments, the Ripley is a delight when the trail goes UP.

Ibis knows about bike handling and it's why they insist on 51mm offset forks for the Ripley. This coupled with a relatively short wheel base and chain stays let the bike feel more like a 26" and less like most full suspension 29" bikes. There is a very intuitive way that the bike handles in most normal trail conditions. It corners very well, and while I do notice some frame flex off the bike, it's not something that I feel while cornering.

Small things like the finish on the blue version is top notch. I've run it through some less than desirable situations, and it's caught a small tree while on my friends car (doh!), I've even recently seen what another riders foot print looks like on the top tube, (so sad!) all of these run ins and the paint has remained smoothly in place after just a little buffing. It's clear that quality control is high at the Ibis factory.

Weaknesses:    I have to simply echo other reviews: undesirable cable routing and noise, although this is a very small grip, I don't believe the semi-internal routing to be of any benefit. I think we'll likely see this go away in the following generations of Ibis 29ers.

The bike is loud. Part of this is the fact that it's carbon, and to be fair, carbon bikes tend to act as speakers. I've owned other carbon mountain bikes, none of which talked to me quite as much as the Ripley does. I've had improvements by cleaning frame hardware and checking BB and drive train components. It still talks a bit. Ibis has done a good job by providing small but effective running changes to frame hard ware. I have all of those updates and still work to keep the bike silent. Like many, I would prefer a traditional BB although I'm unaware at any long term disadvantages of the Shimano press fit standard.

The Fox product that was bolted to this frame is the Achilles heal for many, and I believe it to be the reason for many a red mark in some of the more professional reviews. After only a few rides I opted to have an after market damper system installed (PUSH) and it made the world of difference. Instead of a overly harsh and unpredictable feel in rough terrain I had a chassis that was much plusher, more predictable, and showed improvements downhill as well as in a climb. A bummer for a $3000 frame set.

Bottom Line:
An almost perfect bike that is only slightly confused in it's place in the growing 29" trail bike market. It's more fun than a traditional XC bike, it's certainly much more capable and adaptable. I would race this bike on short track, XC, endurance, and super d. I believe that with an updated rear shock like the Cane Creek InLine, and a Rock Shox Pike the bike would also be a suitable choice for Enduro courses with some pedaling involved. I'm curious about both of those items and look forward to finding the full personality of the Ibis Ripley with some slightly bigger and better thought out suspension choices. Best climbing bike I've ever ridden, wonderful in the corners, fun and playful handling with some problems with the rear suspension choices and noises that may, or may not be generated from a lot of moving carbon.

Bike Setup:   Sid 120 51mm offset, Fox CTD Shock - PUSH tuned

Submitted by DrewBird

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2014

Strengths:    Nimble, light, fast, fun 29er. This is a fully valid option for XC racing, but could also do endurance XC races, general trail riding, or Enduros depending on setup. Very versatile. The suspension design is very elegant, stiff, and works great. Ibis is the best company in the industry, incredibly responsive to their customers and will take care of you if anything goes wrong.

In terms of the ride, this is a very snappy and responsive frame. The angles and suspension feel make it really rail corners. DW link gives hardtail-like responsiveness to pedal inputs, but still does a great job of soaking up bumps. Definitely not an AM bike, but very capable on moderate jumps and drops. All in all, I love this bike.

Weaknesses:    There are no weaknesses to report in terms of ride quality-this thing is a blast. There are a few issues around frame setup though. Cable routing could be better; read der. and brake route right over the shock, which means they bow and move when the shock cycles. I'd prefer routing down the DT and then onto the rear swing arm. Internal routing of shifter cables are also more of a hassle than a benefit. There are definitely some issues with cable slap and noise, and the "work arounds" from Ibis (zip ties inside the frame, fork protector) are not very elegant. Some provision for internal dropper routing would be nice, though the eccentric pivots in the seat tube preclude this to some degree. I don't love press fit BBs on mountain bikes.

Bottom Line:
Don't let my negative comments deter you; these are minor quibbles. This bike is AWESOME where it matters: on the trail. It's just a blast to ride, it will make you faster. I run it with a Fox 120 fork, but I'd imagine it'd be pretty fun with a 140 in a more rowdy, all-mountain way. In my opinion this is the best full-susupension 29er out there right now.

Submitted by Cycletherapy

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2013

Strengths:    light, nimble, agile, yet confidence inspiring on more demanding terrain.

Weaknesses:    in terms of ride, nothing I found. The cable routing into the head tube has worn through the cable outer, long term steerer tube issues? Don't know. Paint durability? - saw some chipping after a crank came loose. E13 / BB coming loose? Would like to see internally routed Reverb option. Picky, but it's very expensive and I would want that option on a modern AT bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a demo from Bothy Bikes in Aviemore. It had the 140 Fox up front, fox CTD, 'proper' tyres (for round here) Hans Dampf / Nobby Nic, 2 x 10 XT inc' brakes, fixed seat post, 740 Ibis carbon Riser bars.
Ok.
I was very lucky to spend four days riding this bike whilst my Tallboy was in for bush / bearing work (nearly a yearly thing for me) and I rode it on steep tight and technical trail as well as some fast rocky downhills. On the techy steep climbs I had no problems whatsoever. I had thought, simply from seeing a 140 fork up front, that the front would be too high and vague, but not so. The rear was plush enough to handle the numerous roots, yet never felt like it was bobbing away my power.
Truth be told I left the shock / fork wide open all the time and it felt just fine like that!
It actually felt a tiny bit better up the climbs than the Tallboy (original 100mm version with 120mm forks) which was a surprise. Downhill was lovely, front end went just where I wanted it, no oversteer or sluggishness, but with 120 and 140mm of travel to handle the rocks and drops. It made everything just so much more easy and relaxed, it's way better than I can ride.
In sum up, it felt like a much more capable Tallboy - climbs a bit better, descends better, yet still has that Tallboy'ish nimbleness and agility. It's not steam roller for just smashing through stuff.
The cable routing is a wee glitch (really don't like the holes in the head tube idea) and for this money I'd want hidden Reverb routing.
I've not ridden a SC TLC yet, but for my sort of riding i.e. fairly fast xc on quite challenging terrain (big rocky mountains and rocky tight woodsy trails) I wouldn't hesitate to jump ship from Santa Cruz to Ibis - and I've ridden Santa Cruz since the first cantilever Superlight.

Submitted by Unobtanium a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2013

Strengths:    Very quick and nimble took chunks off certain KOM's

Weaknesses:    The tolerances for the frame are too tight. Noisy cables/frame.

Bottom Line:
Had mine for about 4 months then sold it on as I could not get over the rear tyre contacting the seat tube when I bottomed out on jumps. Might not be an issue for some people but I began anticipating it and worrying it was going to go through the protection I had put there. Not that it would be the end of the world to have marks on the frame but at that point I did not know if I was going to sell it on. Tried 4 different tyres on it and spoke to Ibis to check what they run but then realised I was letting the frame dictate the size/type of tyre I could run. I like to ride a bike hard and I was using all the travel often so this became a problem for me.
Had a terrible creak from the suspension I sorted it after a couple hours of troubleshooting but the ongoing clicks from the cable routing I could not sort even after following all advice.

If you can sort the above and run a tyre that does not rub then it is an amazing bike. It is incredibly nimble through singletrack, falls down a bit on stability when you are hitting bigger stuff, its a trail bike not for anything more than this. For me I have to rate it as I found it for my purposes.

Duration Product Used:   4.5 months

Similar Products Used:   Yeti SB95, SC Tallboy, Specialized Enduro 29

Bike Setup:   1X10, Fox 34 140mm, standard shock, carbon wheels

Submitted by jeri skrondahl a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    Everything. Great climbing and loves to go downhill FAST. Love the shorter wheelbase because it doesn't feel like a tank. Great fun through windy curvy sections.
Only weighs 26.5 with KS Lev.

Weaknesses:    Had some paint issues and sent pictures to Ibis. Within 15 minutes I had a call saying they would warranty the frame. Awesome company!!

Bottom Line:
My first 29er and love the nimble feel to it. Tested others that were heavy and clumsy. Really impressed with the way the
bike climbs and the stability on the downhill. Inspires confidence. I'm climbing things I've never been able to and riding through rock gardens like never before.
I ride 4-5 times a week and am always being stopped by others wanting to look at the bike. It's pretty.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on!

Duration Product Used:   10 weeks

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Cycles, Alb

Bike Setup:   XT components and Industry Nine wheels and hubs, KS Lev dropper.

Submitted by Toooms

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2013

Strengths:    Speed both up and down, Tackles technical trail with ease, pedals like a hard tails, Frame stiffness is fantastic and the bike is truley chuckable.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing through the headtube, this causes cable rub and will distroy your steerer tube. Can't believe that Ibis dropped the ball on this one? Currently waiting for my "stop gap" from Ibis, a stainless clip to protect the steerer tube?

Bottom Line:
Once you have your sag sorted the suspension comes to life, the bike rolls, rails and accelerates beautifully. For a 29er the front wheel is easy to loft and the bike flickable, the low bottom bracket makes this bike shine on down hill runs and so far I have had no issues with crank strikes, but you do need to aware! The fun comes naturally when you ride this confidence inspiring machine! Am I dissapointed.......... Not one little bit! So pleased I waited for its release, thank you Ibis.

Submitted by thebeebs

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs exceptionally well, yet plush enough on bumps/descents to instill confidence. Great XC/trail balanced suspension, nimble, agile and truly a work of art. Love the dw-link rear suspension - zero pedal bob.

Weaknesses:    Stock seatpost, stem and grips could be better (lighter) for a bike of this caliber. I find the handlebars to be unconscionably wide, unless you have the shoulder span of Dwight Howard. All can be easily upgraded however.

Bottom Line:
This is the first mountain bike I have owned, having come off a long tenure of road racing (Pinarello Prince/Dogma) and, earlier in life, BMX racing (GT/Redline/SE Racing -- okay, I'm dating myself). I was in search of a solid trail 29er that allowed me the flexibility to ride aggressively, and after doing a ton of research and demo riding on my friends' bikes, I narrowed my choices down to the SC Tallboy LTc, Yeti SB-95 C, and Ripley. While I'm sure I would have been happy on any of these bikes, I'm very glad I chose the Ripley. I ride about 3-4x a week, primarily in the Santa Monica mountains, on fire roads, single track, and other miscellaneous trails. While I might not be the most experienced reviewer of mountain bikes, I find the geometry and suspension of the Ripley to resonate very well with my body type and riding style. I also went with the Fox 120 fork upon the suggestion of my LBS sales rep, and after reading the Pinkbike review, I'm glad I did. In short, I couldn't be happier with this purchase, and I find myself wanting to buy the iconic Ibis Mojo as well.

Submitted by clay a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing, suspension design, weight, efficiency, fun factor.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires (horrible) grips, stem and seat post at this price point.

Bottom Line:
The Ripley is a great bike that performs quite well across many applications. The suspension works flawlessly and coupled with the Fox CTD and Float 140 it is versatile to most terrain conditions. My weekly rides consist of fire roads, technical climbing, and super tight single track, the Ripley tackles all with ease. It is quick and flickable, making you forget that you are on a long travel 29er platform. really happy with the purchase and would highly recommend this bike. I am coming off a hardtail 29er that weighs 22 lbs, so a bit skeptical at first, but have not been on a different bike since.

Favorite Trail:   plenty

Duration Product Used:   5 weeks

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Tallboy C and Tallboy LTC, Pivot 429 C, various Specialized 29ers.

Bike Setup:   Xt with 34 140 Fox float

Submitted by m_t_b a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2013

Strengths:    As they meant it to be very nimble, fast and fun

Weaknesses:    Ermmmm......

Bottom Line:
Have ridden a few 29ers that tend to numb the trail but you can throw this bike around and it is ridiculously quick up and down. The suspension works perfectly so much so that you can get out the seat and pedal uphill there is still no feedback. Bike heaven!

Similar Products Used:   Sb95, tallboy LTC

Submitted by Dj a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2013

Strengths:    Light: my medium weighs in at 5.5 lbs on my feedback sports hanging scale. Fast. Quick and nimble. Very stiff. Dw-link with eccentrics works well for excellent pedal efficiency, good small and medium bump compliance. Fox CTD shock is nice but the DW-Link works fine with the Fox shock Open in the Descent Mode while still having pedaling dynamics and active suspension over the rough stuff. The frame looks much better in person than the pictures online. Dailed in geometry for quick and stable handling. Internal Cable Routing gives a cleaner look. Stiff rear end with 12 x 142 thru axle. Easier front derailleur set up with direct mount.

Weaknesses:    Expensive frame. The Ibis Ripley needs more color options besides the blue frame and matte black/green frame. I have the matte black/green. Front derailleur cable housing rub issues on the seat tube and clevis. Difficulty cleaning around the DW-Link, eccentrics, and pivots. Long wait time from pre-odering to delivery. Not the most plush ride. Im not really a fan of the Pressfit 92 bottom bracket, i like the easier installation and maintenance of a threaded outboard bearing bottom bracket. Frame can use an in molded under belly protection for the down tube.

Bottom Line:
I had a hard time deciding between the Ibis Ripley and Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc. I glad I chose the Ripley. Its a fun bike to ride. Its light, quick, stable, fast and fun bike to ride. Climbs very well. Eats up the rough stuff on descents. Tracks and rails corners. Pedal bob kept in check with Ant-squat characteristics of the DW-Link. Can leave the Fox CTD rear shock in Open Descend Mode or Trail Mode 2 - for a set it and forget it shock setting - while still getting excellent pedaling and active suspension with good bump compliance.
Don't Think, just buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Laguna Beach/Aliso Viejo, Irvine Park/Santiago Oaks

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Current whips: Lynskey Ridgeline Ti Hardtail 29er, Pivot MAch 5.7 Carbon - Converted to 27.5 (650b) Wheels.
Older whips: Specialized Epic, Gary Fisher Sugar 1, GT IDXC I-Drive, Turner Flux, Titus Racer X. Titus X, Pivot MAch 4

Bike Setup:   Mavic Crossmax ST 29er Wheelset. Formula R1 Disc Brakes. Shimano XT crankset, shifters, cassette 11-36, front and rear derailleur. Crankbrother Candy SL Pedals. Cane Creek 110 Headset. FSA Afterburn 80mm stem. Syntace Vector Handlebar. Thomson Elite Seatpost. WTB Laser V Ti Saddle. Rock Shox SID RCT 29er Fork 120mm. Specialized Captain 2Bliss Tires. Ergon G1 lock on Grips.

Submitted by FastDDS a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2013

Strengths:    outstanding all around bike. light enough for XC race use but huge advantage over short travel bikes/HT on rough descents or endurance events.
bike will accomodate two large water bottles (must flip fox shock around 180').
short head-tube to keep bars low.
smooth, no creaking DW-link suspension.
good tire clearence with schwalbe 2.2 tires.

Weaknesses:    stock fox rear shock does not lock-out completely (only an issue for riding on pavement).
cable rub near seat tube.
internal cable routing into head tube will be problematic for getting in a bike box and more work to replace cable/housing.
limited space in frame for bikepacking gear (not an issue for 99% of users).
availability of frame.
complexity of moving parts, may be difficult to clean.
fit between seatpost and frame could benefit from less slop.

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for 3 weeks and have ~600 miles on it. The bike was problem free during the StageCoach 400 ultra (loaded with bikepacking gear). In this event nearly every conceivable terrain challenged the Ripley and rider- from deep sand, muddy rivers, pavement, darkness, boulder fields... The DW link design is very efficient for climbing.

I have previously raced a 140mm travel Mojo SL. The SL has a bit more of a plush feel, but the Ripley is quantitatively faster- period. The 29" wheels do allow you to carry more speed over boulders, bad lines, sand or chop. qualitatively I don't notice more effort to get the wheels rolling.

Frame is expensive, but if it lasts 4 years like my Mojo did, it will be well worth it. I hope the eccentric bearings are low maintenance and will give an update. For the suspension design, travel and weight I don't know what else comes close.

Favorite Trail:   Idyllwild CA