GT Zaskar Carbon 100 9r Expert 29er Full Suspension

• Rims: Easton XC 29" Wheelset
  • Saddle: Fizik Tundra2 Mg

Submitted by matt dienberg a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    pedaling platform, lateral stiffness in frame, price

Weaknesses:    GT has no customer service

Bottom Line:
I am not going deep here. Just warning any one looking at this bike or any GT for that matter. You will not get parts if you break anything related to the frame, suspension, or worst of all the I drive. There are a ton of small parts ( nuts, screws, shafts, caps, ect) that go on this thing. If you break or lose anything you are S.O.L. These parts are specific not only to GT but to specific models, and they seem to change their design every other year, which only compounds the parts issue. When you seek help from GT you will get crapped on. When your LBS tries to get help from GT they get crapped on. Do your self a favor and buy something from your LBS. There are many 29 in. F.S. bikes that directly compete with this thing, and have very similar geometry. I bought mine (2012 zaskar 9r pro F.S.) for half the retail price from Jensen last fall. I would have preferred something different, and should have handed out a little more money for somthing different, like something from a company that actually cares.

Purchased At:   Jensen USA

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher pro caliber, Rocky Mountain Element RSL 70.

Bike Setup:   stock but for tubeless setup

Submitted by Bob Burgess a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2013

Strengths:    Looks, Tube size, Geometry

Weaknesses:    Build kit could be better.

Bottom Line:
For the money, this bike delivers big. I'm 6-1, 220 (on a good day) and most of my miles are considered EPIC. It is not out of the question for our group to do 35 miles with 7k of gain.

The terrain varies from groomed pea gravel to baby-head climbs and decsents. I am historically not easy on bikes. Broken just about everyone that I've owned.

After swapping all of my XTR stuff onto it, an XL comes in at 25.75 lbs and that is with heavy tires.

Two gripes and it is nitpicking. Not fond of the watter bottle cage on the top tube and GT should reconsider how they route, guide and mount their front derailleur.

Submitted by cliff a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2013

Strengths:    Light fast bike that is fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    the dog bone link for the suspension. This weak part is a deal breaker

Bottom Line:
So I actually owned and 2013 race a zaskar carbon 29r 100 pro. I really liked most of the parts specs. The bike was amazingly fast and fun to ride. My bike grip is the weak dog bone link for the suspension. It failed with less than 300 miles of general xc riding and racing. No jumps, parks or any other type of extreme riding. Sorry GT but I can't endorse your bike. It is sold and now looking for a new ride for 2014.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm riding

Duration Product Used:   one race season

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Epic fsr expert

Bike Setup:   Stock setup with east on haven carbon bar, truvativa carbon post, specialized expert henge seat, shimano xt trail pedals, various tires setup tubeless

Submitted by Mike

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2013

Strengths:    I love riding this bike, but have had TWO frame failures in under a year. I tried a few Specialized Epics and other friends bikes before buying this and loved the geometry and handling of this bike, but I'm done with GT.

Weaknesses:    First failure was a crack on the seat tube of the front triangle about 6" below the top tube. It went all the way around the circumference of the tube. This was about a month after purchase. I fought GT and the LBS (two, actually) to get it warrantied, but they would only sell me a new bike at a discount (they didn't have just a frame to sell either). I eventually decided to send it to a third part for repair on recommendation by one of the sops, which was relatively good value. Now, 10 months after purchase, I've gotten a crack in the rear triangle on the right top tube. It's at the LBS again for a warranty claim, but no matter the outcome I will not be riding or buying any GT products again.

Bottom Line:
Stay away from GT bikes!