GT Sensor 29er Full Suspension

4.67/5 (12 Reviews)

If you're not familiar with the growing trend amongst endurance riders towards bikes with 29" wheels...it's ok - we'll forgive you. If, however, you're one of the few who insists that 29" wheeled bikes are a fad that'll go the way of suspension stems, elastomer bumper forks, and above-the-bar shifters...we respectfully request that you get with the program.
  • Fork: Fox Racing Shox F29 RLC FIT QR15, 120mm Travel
  • Frame: 29" Wheel, Hydroformed, 6061-T6 Aluminum
  • Headset: FSA No. 16 integrated, 1 1/8"
  • Saddle: WTB Silverado Race SL
  • Seatpost: Crank Brothers Cobalt 2

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by jennifer012904 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2013

Strengths:    great climber, ride inspiring, plush in all but the nastiest root gardens

Weaknesses:    had some problems with fork and shock but not sure if it's me (200lbs) and/or lack of maintenance.

Bottom Line:
    Well, I've waited to post a review.. It's been a full 10 months of ownership.. I've ridden this bike all last fall and the winter ( was a blast), spring, summer and now here we are again in fall..

This bike is awesome.. Awesome enough that I convinced a friend of mine to purchase one.

When I rode with him and his old bike (rockshox fork, hard tail 26") we averaged 5mph over the entire ride including the nasty's we have in the area.. Once he switched to GT bike we averaged 7-8MPH consistently.. Now I am just a maniac on it..

The combination of front and rear suspension 120mm F&R and 29" tires just makes it be a trail muncher.. It is supple enough to absorb the roots typical in my area and being an active rider and loving jumps and drops I go for every bump I can find.. It's just been inspiring.. It's a tall bike but with a 35" inseam 5'11" and 200lbs the size large works.. I would like to try a medium. I tried an XL and it was way to big.. I like to be high in the seat to lessen my knee angle and with my seat adjusted to my favorite height I'm about even with the front bars..

Now onto the not so great part.. The front fork has no more rebound at all.. Happened last week. I'll be sending back the front fork to Marzocchi for a rebuild.. I was hopeful it was something simpler but no luck there..

Last month I noticed the Fox RL leaking oil form the rebound and lock out so swapped it out for a CaneCreek DBAir CS.. It made the bike even more awe inspiring.. coming from a Racing back ground the fully adjustable shock to me just makes more sense..

I attribute the design of the Fox shock failure on the way rebound and lock out sat facing upwards.. A major water trap as there are no orings in the switches at all.. When I took the shock apart it had some water in the oil..

Anyhow as someone whom can't sit still for very long it was only a matter of time that I upgraded the shock..

So. I have ridden this thing like crazy.. I haven't change the oil in the shock or fork and maybe this is to blame for both of these problems. I have nearly 1000 miles on the bike to date..

Oh, I swap out the 2x10 for a 3x10 as my knees can be a little achy if I take time off so having the smaller cog gives me a chance to get back into the rhythm without over stressing the knees on steep climbs.

The stock Ardent Aspen tires are decent but not well suited for wetter clay type soils and aggressive riding though self clean well. I am still riding on them as they roll pretty easily and do a nice job overall on anything other than wet and steep.

I would recommend this bike to anybody.. No suspension squeaks and the Idrive works very nicely.. I can't wait to get back on it tonight and is my bike of choice..

I only gave it 4 overall chili's as I have had the fork and shock problems but again.. I had planned on upgrading both...

Favorite Trail:   Any with jumps

Duration Product Used:   10months 1000

Purchased At:   GiantNerd.com

Bike Setup:   I've changed the 2X10 to sram X7 3X10 with XO 3X10 front derailleur.

Now have 7.875X2.25 Canecreek DBAir CS installed vs Fox RL 7.5X2.0

Submitted by Loveriding a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2013

Strengths:    Very responsive. Strong brakes. Suspension is very smooth. Confidence inspiring feel makes you think you can do anything on it.

Weaknesses:    Rear brake is a little noisy when it gets wet at times. That's about it.

Bottom Line:
    After looking at several bikes, I narrowed it down to this a Trek EX 8 and a Specialized. After riding them, I could not justify the extra bucks on the Trek and Specialized. The bike bike is solid, smooth and very responsive for a 29er. I did not feel like it was slower maneuvering like some 29ers vs a 26". The bike feels nimble. I have gone up some big climbs without putting the rear shock in climb mode and it does not feel heavy or labored at all. Quite pleasing! This may be a hidden gem in the cycling world. I kept telling myself I would upgrade the slx components having been an XT/XTR guy in the past but so far they are working quite well. Maybe I will change my mind over time. For now, this bike is stout and has been a blast to ride on a variety of different trails in the mountains. Suspension is very responsive in the rock gardens so this I-drive thing apparently is working just fine. Formula brakes are very responsive and stop on a dime. Overall, a confidence inspiring ride on the trails whether hills or mountains. Check this bike out!

Submitted by Dijkstra a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2013

Strengths:    - Looks great.
    - GT iDrive is very paddle friendly efficient for climbs and trails.
    - It's not carbon, at around 28lbs (more or less) the weight doesn't get in the way.
    - DH handling is decent with 120mm travel.
    - Fox Float rear shock, and RockShox Recon Gold are a good combo.
    - The frame is solid and easy to service.

Weaknesses:    None found yet, but if I were to try really hard then wheelbase of 45.5' makes it less nimble than a 26' bike with shorter wheelbases. However, this is not a fair comparison as this is a 29er, and that makes it really stable. Stability in the bike translates to less agility as the bike wants to stay connected to the ground. But once you get the hang of it, 29ers are the best.

Bottom Line:
    Overall one of the best full-suspension 29ers on the market in this price range. It's a better value and better handling than a Giant Trance X, or Trek Fuel in 29ers.

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance X 29er 2
    Trek Fuel 7.8

Bike Setup:   2013 GT Sensor 29er Expert with factory kit.

Submitted by lostpilot28

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2013

Strengths:    Great components, plush ride, rolls well. I weighed it (on an accurate scale) - 29.5 lbs.

Weaknesses:    Seat is very hard.

Bottom Line:
    This is my first 29er. I've been riding Cannondales for the past 12 years and was really taken by surprise at how good the feel was on this bike. Handles very well, albeit slower than a 26-inch wheeled bike. I have a "baseline" ride that I measure my performance with that typically takes me 37 minutes on my Jekyll. After having a nasty cold and not riding for 3 weeks, I took the GT out for the first time and clocked in at 32 minutes. I was amazed...apparently, technology in bikes has come a long way!

All I can say is that I love this bike...I paid $2,000 at Performance Bike and it seems like a great deal.

Favorite Trail:   Boise Foothills

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Stock GT Sensor Expert 29er.

Submitted by Dan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2013

Strengths:    The I-Drive rear suspension rocks, there is very little pedal bob and that makes a huge difference on technical climbs like the ones in the Texas hill country. The major differentiators on full-suspension bikes are going to be:
    rear suspension (awesome)
    weight (a little heavy)
    price (much cheaper than everyone else)

This bike came in about $600 cheaper than the other bikes in the same range, so I had more money to go do some really cool events.

Weaknesses:    I can't leave work at noon every day to ride this beast.

The seat post sucks, the stickiness wore off after like two months, so it got really loose and I had to replace it. Also, the bike is on the heavier side, but whatever. If I was concerned with weight, I wouldn't take 10 lbs of just-in-case gear on my rides.

Bottom Line:
    This bike rocks my socks off. Once I got over the glee of the 29'er full suspension platform, I found that this bike still had a lot to give. The suspension is great in full squish or pro-pedal mode and it is just too much fun to ride.

In Texas, you get a lot of trails on limestone and granite, so the climbs and drops can be pretty dramatic. A 29'er gets you part of the way there, but this bad boy kicks butt for most sections. Wheelies are a little tougher than my 26" hardtail, but that's a standard tradeoff.

I put some stronger wheels & some proper tires for dry, rocky climbs and now I monster truck over everything. It does pretty well in XC mode as well, but it'll be tough to win an XC race with it because of the weight.

It's tough not to gush about this bike because it's so much fun to ride, so if I had to boil it down to one sentence it would be:
    Wild trail times for about 30% less than the other guys in the same sector

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long, Austin TX

Duration Product Used:   3 Months

Submitted by jennifer012904 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Strengths:    climbs easy, plush suspension, rides real nice. I-drive suspension, little bob on pedal stroke.

Weaknesses:    Frames run larger so would recommend getting next size down.

Bottom Line:
    320miles up to date..

This is my first 29r and only my second MTB. Started riding back in August 2012. Quickly moved along and decided on a FS 29er to take up where my other bike (Motorbecane Fantom DS Pro 26") left off.

Lots of roots on the single track as well as big gravely (3-4") rocks on the roads going thru a local park. My Motobecane 26" Fantom Pro is fun and light be was miserable going over all the roots and larger gravel. Now with this GT bike I just cruise over everything.. The suspension is plush and it takes up bumps and jumps and drops with ease. Has plenty of travel for the stuff I've been going on/over.

It isn't light but it travels extremely well. I was able to go up some hills that on the 26" bike I'd have to be in granny to get up and even then I might have to stop. Now I can go up with greater speed and this bike has inspired me to ride more agressively since it is so forgiving and it just feels great..

I've been riding it in the snow with Maxxis Aspen 2.1 which is stock on front and put a WTB weirwolf 2.5 on back. It's been an absolute blast and will go thru about 6" of snow on the flat no problem. On down hills maybe 10" deep.

I've exchanged the front crankset for a triple Sram X7 and upgraded the front deraileur to Sram X0.

The shifter for the front derailluer doesn't need to be swapped to go to the triple. Just swap crank, front derailluer, adjust and go.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again or recommend this bike to any of my freinds.. Oh, wait I did just that.. :)

Favorite Trail:   Any

Duration Product Used:   3months

Purchased At:   Giantnerd

Similar Products Used:   Motobecane Fantom DS Pro

Frame: Hydroformed Speed Metal™ Aluminum Frame Independent Drivetrain™ Suspension System w/ Forged Linkage, Pivots, Bottom Bracket, Dropouts, and 1 1/8" Integrated Head Tube, w/ 9R Specific Geometry

Fork Marzocchi 44 TST2 w/120mm Travel QR15, Adjustable Rebound, Lockout, & Alloy Steerer
    Rear Shock Fox Shox Float RL w120mm Travel, Adjustable Rebound

Crankset SRAM S1000 2.2 39/26T (swapted out X7 3X10)
    Cassette Shimano CS-HG62-10, 11-36T, 10-Speed
    Pedals Shimano PD-M505, SPD Cliples
    Front/rear Brake Elixar 3
    Handlebars Crankbrothers Cobalt 2, 700mm
    Stem Syncros AM, 3D Forged, M/L = 90mm, XL = 100mm
    Headset FSA No.16CC Integrated, 1 1/8"
    Seat Post ALL TERRA Alloy Microadjust, 31.6mm x 350mm

Spokes DT Swiss Champion
    Front/rear tire Maxxis Aspen, 2.1", Folding

Submitted by sdavis8888 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Great confidence inspiring on the descents, strong climber, light for a 29er.

Weaknesses:    Tall top tube. The included saddle is way too hard. Not fully sold on 2x10.

Bottom Line:
    I just replaced a 2002 GT i-Drive 1.0 with this bike. The difference is night and day. This bike climbs better, descends with way more confidence and the 29er wheels roll over obstacles a bit better. I might like a taller granny gear - but the shifting is crisp and fast with the 2x10. I though the included saddle (WTB Silverado) was a joke, way too hard - replaced it with first a Rocket V (too narrow) then a Pure V (awesome). I've only ridden three days on the bike so far - but I am lovin' it. And at this price point I'm not sure that it can be beat. There are some internet only companies with bikes at this price point - but having a local shop that supports the bike (Performance Bikes) and has treated me great is a huge plus. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   West Magnolia

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   2002 - GT I Drive 1.0

Bike Setup:   Stock with WTB Pure V saddle, Time ATAC pedals

Submitted by SanAn a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2012

Strengths:    This bike rocks and got it for a great price. 29-inch wheels and 2x10 drivetrain are going to be good things on any bike, but the thing that brings it all together is i-drive which is a great rear suspension set-up. I've ridden offroad with 50psi in the tyres just to see how it would go and this bike handles it no probs (although Maxxi Crossmarks also help and are a great tyre). 29-inch and i-drive is an awesome traction combo!

Weaknesses:    CrankBros Cobalt 2 seatpost is a joke...very stupid design and is the only part of the bike that I've replaced...well apart from the smallblock 8 tyres which don't provide adequate traction when cornering on fine gravel. The bike is no lightweight, but it's not particularly heavy either compared to the competition.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is fast everywhere and can make anyone look good...

Favorite Trail:   Stromlo

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Mountain Cycle San Andreas, Mongoose Amplifier 2

Bike Setup:   Standard apart from new seatpost and tyres.

Submitted by wyatt79m a All Mountain Rider from Bloomsburg, PA USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    Great value, the fork is easy to tune and I changed the travel to 140mm. This bike is a rock devouring monster, it eats up any kind of square edge hits, rocks or roots. I'm really impressed with the Fox Float as well, it's pretty simple, but it performs really well with the rear suspension. I'm able to get a nice bob free climb and on the downs it feels good and I'm using most of the travel. I think over all it's a great bike.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness that I've found so far is that the wheels are pretty heavy and I hate small blocks.

Bottom Line:
    I really like this bike, it's kinda under the radar, but it really performs awesome. If I would have known, how great this bike was gonna be, I might have saved up for the Pro ?

Favorite Trail:   top mountain

Purchased At:   Campus Cycle, Lewisb

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale rush 3, prophet 1000, super v, Kona dawg, Ventana El Chamuco ...

Bike Setup:   Still mostly stock, dropper post, wider bars.

Submitted by Lee a Cross Country Rider from montevallo, alabama USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2012

Strengths:    Works as a package

Weaknesses:    Tires, THIN paint

Bottom Line:
    Looked at the competition, and the value of this bike is tops. Anything close cost 60% more at least, for no benefit except snob appeal. I thrash bikes, and my 210lb weight doesn't help. NOTHING has broken, and I generally have spokes, hubs, skewers cashing in....The front maxle looks like a motorcycle part. Anybody over 6' needs to switch to 9ers-and this one in XL is like a monster truck. It is not so easy to get technical, and hard to hoist the front, but generally don't need to. Just pedal. Elixir brakes are awesome. Spend some time dialing in the suspension, ride anywhere.
    Research the subject- anything close to comparable has a poor component mix, only a double crank, etc. Performance Bike stinks, sent me a different color than ordered, and didn't care-but the Specialized 9er fsr was nearly a grand more and had mickey mouse components.
    On group rides, I will sometimes swap back to a partners 26, and enjoy the agility until my back starts hurting, or I notice my 9er pulling out front.

Favorite Trail:   Hurricane Crek

Purchased At:   performance online

Similar Products Used:   First 9er, been riding MTB since 1985

Bike Setup:   Stock. Will eventually replace tires for a more aggressive tread.

Submitted by ihaveagibsonsg a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2011

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
    This is a great bike for the money. This bike is a rare exception, cheap, lightweight, reliable....in this case you can pick all 3. It's a killer bike, the I-Drive system really works and gets no pedal bob. The components are nice enough to compliment 99% of riders out there. I was skeptical about the breaks before buying it but they've turned out to be a good quality product. Riding my local trails I now make new lines on the trail that all the 26" bikes can't ride on. Forget making lines, this bike doesn't even need them, it rolls over anything! The water bars that are scraped up from chain rings are no match for the clearance of this bike. It flat out hauls on all terrain so well to the point its dangerous! It will give you a false sense of confidence. I've been passing up roadies on this bike with 2.35 heavy panaracer tires. I'll never even consider a 26" wheeled bike ever again. It weighs just under 30 pounds with the stock components and the kenda small block 8's. Not bad considering bikes priced 2,000$ more than this one weigh only half to one pound less. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it came with the small block 8's, a great tire but they're out of season. But that's like not buying a car because it doesn't have a cd player, nothing 60$ can't fix. ALSO since I was a performance member I got 150$ in store credit so in reality the bike is even cheaper. Gotta love it.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Trails