GT Sensor 9r Expert 29er Full Suspension

• Chain: KMC X10
  • Shifters: Shimano SLX, SL-M670, Rapid Fire

Submitted by Dijkstra a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2013

Strengths:    - Looks great.
- GT iDrive is very paddle friendly efficient for climbs and trails.
- It's not carbon, at around 28lbs (more or less) the weight doesn't get in the way.
- DH handling is decent with 120mm travel.
- Fox Float rear shock, and RockShox Recon Gold are a good combo.
- The frame is solid and easy to service.

Weaknesses:    None found yet, but if I were to try really hard then wheelbase of 45.5' makes it less nimble than a 26' bike with shorter wheelbases. However, this is not a fair comparison as this is a 29er, and that makes it really stable. Stability in the bike translates to less agility as the bike wants to stay connected to the ground. But once you get the hang of it, 29ers are the best.

Bottom Line:
Overall one of the best full-suspension 29ers on the market in this price range. It's a better value and better handling than a Giant Trance X, or Trek Fuel in 29ers.

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance X 29er 2
Trek Fuel 7.8

Bike Setup:   2013 GT Sensor 29er Expert with factory kit.

Submitted by lostpilot28

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2013

Strengths:    Great components, plush ride, rolls well. I weighed it (on an accurate scale) - 29.5 lbs.

Weaknesses:    Seat is very hard.

Bottom Line:
This is my first 29er. I've been riding Cannondales for the past 12 years and was really taken by surprise at how good the feel was on this bike. Handles very well, albeit slower than a 26-inch wheeled bike. I have a "baseline" ride that I measure my performance with that typically takes me 37 minutes on my Jekyll. After having a nasty cold and not riding for 3 weeks, I took the GT out for the first time and clocked in at 32 minutes. I was amazed...apparently, technology in bikes has come a long way!

All I can say is that I love this bike...I paid $2,000 at Performance Bike and it seems like a great deal.

Favorite Trail:   Boise Foothills

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Stock GT Sensor Expert 29er.

2012 Sensor 9r Expert

Anyone have one? Thoughts?Read More »

Sensor 9r expert for downhill

Anyone think I could use my GT Sensor 9r expert for downhill courses? I'm a feather weight at about 140 pounds and I wouldn't be doing anything more than 3-4 foot drops. I wanna take it to the downhill courses this summer but I don't wanna trash it either. It has a marzocchi bomber 44 tst2 with 5 in ... Read More »