GT Sensor 29r Expert 29er Full Suspension

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

If you're not familiar with the growing trend amongst endurance riders towards bikes with 29" wheels...it's ok - we'll forgive you. If, however, you're one of the few who insists that 29" wheeled bikes are a fad that'll go the way of suspension stems, elastomer bumper forks, and above-the-bar shifters...we respectfully request that you get with the program.
  • Fork: Marzocchi 44 TST2 29" QR15, 120mm travel
  • Frame: 29" wheel hydroformed 6061-T6 aluminum frame
  • Headset: FSA integrated, 1 1/8"
  • Saddle: WTB Silverado Comp
  • Seatpost: All Terra Al2014

Submitted by jennifer012904 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2013

Strengths:    great climber, ride inspiring, plush in all but the nastiest root gardens

Weaknesses:    had some problems with fork and shock but not sure if it's me (200lbs) and/or lack of maintenance.

Bottom Line:
Well, I've waited to post a review.. It's been a full 10 months of ownership.. I've ridden this bike all last fall and the winter ( was a blast), spring, summer and now here we are again in fall..

This bike is awesome.. Awesome enough that I convinced a friend of mine to purchase one.

When I rode with him and his old bike (rockshox fork, hard tail 26") we averaged 5mph over the entire ride including the nasty's we have in the area.. Once he switched to GT bike we averaged 7-8MPH consistently.. Now I am just a maniac on it..

The combination of front and rear suspension 120mm F&R and 29" tires just makes it be a trail muncher.. It is supple enough to absorb the roots typical in my area and being an active rider and loving jumps and drops I go for every bump I can find.. It's just been inspiring.. It's a tall bike but with a 35" inseam 5'11" and 200lbs the size large works.. I would like to try a medium. I tried an XL and it was way to big.. I like to be high in the seat to lessen my knee angle and with my seat adjusted to my favorite height I'm about even with the front bars..

Now onto the not so great part.. The front fork has no more rebound at all.. Happened last week. I'll be sending back the front fork to Marzocchi for a rebuild.. I was hopeful it was something simpler but no luck there..

Last month I noticed the Fox RL leaking oil form the rebound and lock out so swapped it out for a CaneCreek DBAir CS.. It made the bike even more awe inspiring.. coming from a Racing back ground the fully adjustable shock to me just makes more sense..

I attribute the design of the Fox shock failure on the way rebound and lock out sat facing upwards.. A major water trap as there are no orings in the switches at all.. When I took the shock apart it had some water in the oil..

Anyhow as someone whom can't sit still for very long it was only a matter of time that I upgraded the shock..

So. I have ridden this thing like crazy.. I haven't change the oil in the shock or fork and maybe this is to blame for both of these problems. I have nearly 1000 miles on the bike to date..

Oh, I swap out the 2x10 for a 3x10 as my knees can be a little achy if I take time off so having the smaller cog gives me a chance to get back into the rhythm without over stressing the knees on steep climbs.

The stock Ardent Aspen tires are decent but not well suited for wetter clay type soils and aggressive riding though self clean well. I am still riding on them as they roll pretty easily and do a nice job overall on anything other than wet and steep.

I would recommend this bike to anybody.. No suspension squeaks and the Idrive works very nicely.. I can't wait to get back on it tonight and is my bike of choice..

I only gave it 4 overall chili's as I have had the fork and shock problems but again.. I had planned on upgrading both...

Favorite Trail:   Any with jumps

Duration Product Used:   10months 1000

Purchased At:   GiantNerd.com

Bike Setup:   I've changed the 2X10 to sram X7 3X10 with XO 3X10 front derailleur.

Now have 7.875X2.25 Canecreek DBAir CS installed vs Fox RL 7.5X2.0

Submitted by Loveriding a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2013

Strengths:    Very responsive. Strong brakes. Suspension is very smooth. Confidence inspiring feel makes you think you can do anything on it.

Weaknesses:    Rear brake is a little noisy when it gets wet at times. That's about it.

Bottom Line:
After looking at several bikes, I narrowed it down to this a Trek EX 8 and a Specialized. After riding them, I could not justify the extra bucks on the Trek and Specialized. The bike bike is solid, smooth and very responsive for a 29er. I did not feel like it was slower maneuvering like some 29ers vs a 26". The bike feels nimble. I have gone up some big climbs without putting the rear shock in climb mode and it does not feel heavy or labored at all. Quite pleasing! This may be a hidden gem in the cycling world. I kept telling myself I would upgrade the slx components having been an XT/XTR guy in the past but so far they are working quite well. Maybe I will change my mind over time. For now, this bike is stout and has been a blast to ride on a variety of different trails in the mountains. Suspension is very responsive in the rock gardens so this I-drive thing apparently is working just fine. Formula brakes are very responsive and stop on a dime. Overall, a confidence inspiring ride on the trails whether hills or mountains. Check this bike out!

Submitted by sdavis8888 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Great confidence inspiring on the descents, strong climber, light for a 29er.

Weaknesses:    Tall top tube. The included saddle is way too hard. Not fully sold on 2x10.

Bottom Line:
I just replaced a 2002 GT i-Drive 1.0 with this bike. The difference is night and day. This bike climbs better, descends with way more confidence and the 29er wheels roll over obstacles a bit better. I might like a taller granny gear - but the shifting is crisp and fast with the 2x10. I though the included saddle (WTB Silverado) was a joke, way too hard - replaced it with first a Rocket V (too narrow) then a Pure V (awesome). I've only ridden three days on the bike so far - but I am lovin' it. And at this price point I'm not sure that it can be beat. There are some internet only companies with bikes at this price point - but having a local shop that supports the bike (Performance Bikes) and has treated me great is a huge plus. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   West Magnolia

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   2002 - GT I Drive 1.0

Bike Setup:   Stock with WTB Pure V saddle, Time ATAC pedals

Submitted by wyatt79m a All Mountain Rider from Bloomsburg, PA USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    Great value, the fork is easy to tune and I changed the travel to 140mm. This bike is a rock devouring monster, it eats up any kind of square edge hits, rocks or roots. I'm really impressed with the Fox Float as well, it's pretty simple, but it performs really well with the rear suspension. I'm able to get a nice bob free climb and on the downs it feels good and I'm using most of the travel. I think over all it's a great bike.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness that I've found so far is that the wheels are pretty heavy and I hate small blocks.

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike, it's kinda under the radar, but it really performs awesome. If I would have known, how great this bike was gonna be, I might have saved up for the Pro ?

Favorite Trail:   top mountain

Purchased At:   Campus Cycle, Lewisb

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale rush 3, prophet 1000, super v, Kona dawg, Ventana El Chamuco ...

Bike Setup:   Still mostly stock, dropper post, wider bars.

Submitted by ihaveagibsonsg a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2011

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the money. This bike is a rare exception, cheap, lightweight, reliable....in this case you can pick all 3. It's a killer bike, the I-Drive system really works and gets no pedal bob. The components are nice enough to compliment 99% of riders out there. I was skeptical about the breaks before buying it but they've turned out to be a good quality product. Riding my local trails I now make new lines on the trail that all the 26" bikes can't ride on. Forget making lines, this bike doesn't even need them, it rolls over anything! The water bars that are scraped up from chain rings are no match for the clearance of this bike. It flat out hauls on all terrain so well to the point its dangerous! It will give you a false sense of confidence. I've been passing up roadies on this bike with 2.35 heavy panaracer tires. I'll never even consider a 26" wheeled bike ever again. It weighs just under 30 pounds with the stock components and the kenda small block 8's. Not bad considering bikes priced 2,000$ more than this one weigh only half to one pound less. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it came with the small block 8's, a great tire but they're out of season. But that's like not buying a car because it doesn't have a cd player, nothing 60$ can't fix. ALSO since I was a performance member I got 150$ in store credit so in reality the bike is even cheaper. Gotta love it.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Trails