Giant Trance X 29er Full Suspension

4.69/5 (32 Reviews)

The newest member of the award-winning Trance X family is this all-new 29er. The premium ALUXX SL frameset has been tuned to match the performance benefits of lager 29-inch wheels. At its core: proven Maestro Suspension plus a host of frame technologies including the OverDrive 2 steerer tube and PowerCore bottom bracket. Whether you’re climbing or descending, pinning it at speed or crawling through technical terrain, there’s no better way to own the trail.

Submitted by domeniac a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2014

Strengths:    climbing, weight, descending, specs, suspension

Weaknesses:    geometry, tires, dropper post

Bottom Line:
I'm riding the giant trance x 29 0 since one year now. Unluckily I dislocated my elbow while I was waiting for the arrival of my new bike. So I was even more surprised that even after a few weeks of riding this bike and getting a feel for my very weak arm, I was able to clear some trails that I could not ride through with my old bike (giant reign).

To me this bike has no real weakness. I think the things that I changed were more a matter of taste than weakness. I put on a shorter stem, ride it tubeless with 2,4 tires up front and the 2,25 nobby nic on the rear end. Now it fits me and my riding style perfectly.
The dropper post works just fine but I often want more than 100mm of travel. The tires are great but they wear down quickly. You should definitly test ride this bike to see which size and stem fits you well. Maybe some people would like to see a 34 fork on this bike, but I'm happy with the 32 version. So those 'weaknesses' are not really a concern. At least to me.

Strenghts:

The specs are great for a bike in this price segment. I got a great offer from my local bike dealer. Great support and service from the dealer and giant in general. You won't have many warranty issues with giant.

The suspension is a masterpiece. Simple as that.

This bike is superfast and safe going downhill. I think that me and the people I ride with are almost on the same level skillwise but I can't remember a trail which I didn't come in first since I fully recovered from my injury. It is so much fun to ride. I would never go back on a 26" bike.

The frame is very light. I ride the trance tubeless with bigger tires up front and with flat pedals. It comes in at 13,00 kg. The big wheels, suspension and this weight make it a great ride for all day biking.

To me this is one of the best allmountain bikes you can get. If you get a good deal --> go for it. If you can't --> still go for it. It is absolutley worth it.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Similar Products Used:   gaitn reign

Submitted by Ray a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2014

Strengths:    Dialed in geometry makes this bike a blast to ride.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one. This bike works extremely well out of the box. With time you can upgrade or change some parts to suit your own riding style.

Bottom Line:
Been riding a Santa Cruz Blur for the last decade and wanted to try something new. After much research I narrowed it down to two bikes, the Tallboy and the Trance. I'm a huge fan of Santa Cruz and the Blur is an amazing bike and I have no doubt the Tallboy will also perform well. But I wanted to try a different suspension system other than the VPP. My decision to go with the Trance X 29r 1 Large frame was rewarded the minute I hit the trails. The immediate thought that came to mind was, this bike feels exactly like my old Blur but on steroids. I was concern going from a 26er to a 29er but does concerns disappeared very quickly. The Maestro suspension felt just like the VPP but more consistent and compliant without the pedal bob. The trails I ride are tight technical single track littered with roots, rocks with short technical climbs. The Trance ate all of it up without hesitation and asked for more. If you are thinking about getting a 29er, the Trance blurs the line between 26er's and 29er's and I highly recommend you give this bike serious consideration. I know Giant is hyping up their 27.5 line up and that's fine, but I think they are making a big mistake in talking down their 29er's. The Trance is an amazing bike, hope they keep it in their line-up for a long time.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta, Amelia, Marham

Santa Cruz Blur

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by extremedave

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2014

Strengths:    Technical climbing and obstacles, downhill stability.

Weaknesses:    Not the fastest thing out there.

Bottom Line:
I've owned numerous hardtail 29ers, a Trance X 26 and a Stumpy FSR 29.
The overlying trait of this bike is simply how good a trail bike it is. It's a very good climber, more so if the climb is rough. And it does an amazing job in our rock gardens and rock rollers, it offers supreme confidence in technical terrain. I wasn't a bad rider before, but this bike has helped me to another level.
We don't have big jumps around here but it does an admirable job in the air. You can charge steep and rough downhills pretty hard, the bike does an admirable job sorting it all out for you. Pedaling efficiency is definitely improved over the 26er version, very little bob and it transfer power standing quite well.

Negatives are it simply isn't "fast". I set numerous personal records on flatter terrain with the FSR that I'm pretty sure I cannot beat with this bike. Similar setup, same weight, but it just doesn't have the same boogie. Which is fine, the Trance crushes the FSR when it gets gnarly.
I did experience the complaint that the bike uses it travel easily. I was on a slick, steep rock face that I chose to bomb rather than roll, and bottomed the fork. It didn't bother me but I've been on that before and never had that happen. I also have some side to side play in the dropper, but it currently functions fine so we'll see how it holds up.

Components:
I ditched the brakes, wheels, shifters, tires, and cranks the first day. I think the X9 RD is a solid offering and the X7 front is fine. I like how the Fox stuff feels, although I did mention the fork bottoming overall I'm very happy with the suspension's overall effectiveness. It performs especially well in rock gardens and rougher terrain, allowing you to keep momentum and make the moves. Could do without the OD2 steerer, limits stem choices. Although the rear end never felt like it was lacking, a 142 axle would be a nice. I changed the bars to a flatter bend which I prefer.
I'm 5'10" with a 32 leg and long arms, the Medium fits very well, much better than the 26 did.

Overall if you're looking for an excellent overall trail tool that excels when it gets rough, this is the bike.

Submitted by leffo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2014

Strengths:    Quality, pedaling, suspension design, short chain stay, light, nice looking(black, grey and green 2013), internal cable routing, 29" inch wheels!!!

Weaknesses:    PF bearing cups, cant go wrong with threaded cups... Choice of stem and handlebar is very important.

Bottom Line:
Custom built from frameset only. Forget about 26 and 27,5(which is virtually the same) and go for the Trance 29er. Thought my reign was a good AM-bike but this is really an ALL Mountain MTB! Climbs like a goat and descends like a flying carpet.

Similar Products Used:   Cube ltd CC 26"
Giant reign 2007 26"
On one 456 carbon 26"
Salsa dos niner 29"

Bike Setup:   Rock shox revelation 140mm, hope pro 2 evo, mavic tn719, Schwalbe NN, 60mm stem and straight wide easton EC70 carbon bar. 182cm tall and the frame is Large. Perfect fit!

Submitted by KristofferR a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2014

Strengths:    Superb rear suspension, balanced geometry, good components, frame quality, low frame weight,

Weaknesses:    Short seatpost. Nothing else, really for the price. Compared to more expensive models a little heavy, would possibly benefit from a rear thru-axle. Recon fork and Monarch shock a little less controlled than the Fox counterparts. Would like a lockout of the shock.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2013 model.

I run muddy, rocky and rooty trails in Gothenburg, Sweden. My background is ten years of 26er HT XC style riding of gravel roads and easier trails. After I transitioned to a long-travel 26er HT and then to XC 29er HT:s I evolved a lot. Many riders here choose long-travel, enduro type bikes due to the rough and technical terrain.

This is my first FS rig after a bunch of 26er and 29er hardtails. I wanted a robust bike with medium/good-level componentry, too keep costs down both for buying and service. For 2013, Fox has had lots of quality problems so I decided to go for a RockShox equipped bike. My choice was in the end between the Trance X vs the Anthem. Eventually, I decided the extra suspension travel would be worth a slight penalty in weight. I already knew 100mm was too little for my trails and riding. Giant has done a very solid spec on paper and the unanimous good reviews on the rear suspension and low frame weight (Germanys 'Bike Magazin') was what finally made my decision to go for the Trance.

I'm 6ft7" (199cm) and weight 210 lbs (95kg). I have an XL sized bike but needed to add a longer seatpost immediately. I bought for a straight Gusset 450mm w/o setback since the seat tube angle is pretty slack. BTW the Giant brochure picture of the 2013 looks really squashed, possibly a M frame. The XL looks long, lean and well proportioned.

Riding off, my initial impression is still that the steering is weird due to the slack headtube angle, but it disappears on the trail. It may be because of me being used to the G2 geo on my previous Trek. It's not immediately playful as some bikes are, just very neutral and balanced. Climbing traction is fantastic, cornering balance is really good. When pushing harder and harder, the bike stays secure and there are no vices. On rough terrain, it excels and the absence of chain slap is a big bonus, despite the X5 rear mech.

The specification is very sensible - not the fanciest but just very solid stuff. X5/X7 and Shimano brakes do a good job in all situations. I have 4 months of use on all kinds of trails and so far all has been good, rims are straight etc.

I mentioned the shock and fork as weaknesses; they do a great job, but that extra suppleness of the Fox is not there. If you have the budget to buy and service them perhaps look at the 1 or 0 build options. Also, the absence of a lockout / propedal may turn you off if you do long climbs. I tried some XC-style trails and gravel roads too and in these situation the Trance is too much bike. Maybe the other build options work better there too.

Looking at the 2014 it seems to be Shimano Deore instead of Sram - will work just as fine.

In all, a very good bike!

Favorite Trail:   Eksjö, Sweden

Similar Products Used:   29ers Trek Paragon, Felt Nine 2012 and 2013, Kona Unit.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except Gusset 450mm seat post

Submitted by deepairdiver

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2013

Strengths:    climbing. descending.

Weaknesses:    need to load the front of the bike on the steep ascents

Bottom Line:
ive only ever had a Trance.
started riding mtb in 2007 on a Trance x3 26er. Bought a Trance 29er X0 2014 last week.
Blimey !
there is nothing it dont do really well. on steep climbs my 26er got really light on the front so i have always been used to leaning right forward to keep the front down. The 29er is the same. Not a problem for me at all.
spec on the 2014 is tops.
i cant believe a bike can make such a difference to my style of riding.
out of the box ive gone from running at the back of my group to leading the pack. the effort required to do the same trails on my 26 has diminished soooo much.
if your in the market for a top bike, this is it. undoubtedly !

Submitted by aybarssurucu a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2013

Strengths:    Compact geometry / I'm 5' 5" and goes fine with XS.

Weaknesses:    Maybe internal routing from factory could be better.

Bottom Line:
I waited for that bike over a year... I've started to ride it in October and it feels great!

I'm riding mountain bikes since 1995 and needed a more "do-it-all" bike. So Trance X 29er was my ride to have.

Duration Product Used:   2 Months

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-Works Camber

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by Louis a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2013

Strengths:    29er wheels eat up everything you throw at it. Geometry is relaxed enough to give confidence on the downhills and aggressive enough to climb back up. Spec is perfect from the rubber up.

Weaknesses:    Saddle is a bit minimal. CTD takes some time to get use to. Wish the break line was routed internally too. Will have to do the work myself in the off-season.

Bottom Line:
This bike is inspiring. Some professional reviews have called this bike "pedestrian." I would agree if you are a very aggressive rider looking to push the edge. However if you are a weekend warrior this bike will reward you on the trail. I have been able to do so much more on this bike than I was ever able to do on my hard tail. The combination of the geometry, 5 inches of plush, efficient travel (thank you Maestro) and 29er hoops is confidence boosting. The 2X10 XT drivetrain is nicely matched and the XT disc breaks are fantastic. The "DT Swiss" giant wheels are stiff and light. The dropper post is reliable and easy. CTD took a little more time to get dialed in but really helps on the trail. The only thing I would change is the seat and grips based on personal preference.

One note: I flipped the stem to keep the front end a little lower. Also, I will be re-routing the break line internally and turning the tires tubeless this winter.

Submitted by Rocnerd a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2013

Strengths:    Component spec is great. The price at $2999 was too good to pass up. At around 27 lbs this bike is a light weight for a 29er aluminum full suspension bike.

Weaknesses:    The seat felt like a torture device. I find I have a lot more pedal strikes with this bike than any other I have owned.

Bottom Line:
After two rides I knew that the saddle had to go. I don't think I got more than five miles both times before the pain set in. I just don't understand the need for a dropper post. I kept it on for about five rides on various types of trails before swapping it out for a carbon post and dropping a pound in weight. I also flipped the stem and found I like that position better. My other bike is a race oriented hard tail so I am used to that more aggressive riding position. I have definitely noticed more pedal strikes with this bike than any bike I have owned even when timing pedal strokes. I have taken to riding mostly with the rear shock locked out to help combat this. This still provides enough squish for regular trail riding but doesn't allow full compression of the rear shock so helps keep the bottom bracket higher and minimizes the pedal strike tendency. I just flip it into the mid travel or open for the descents.
This bike with the carbon post and candy pedals weighs in at 26.75 lbs in a large frame with a bottle holder. That is impressive and I haven't even converted to tubeless yet.
The part spec for this bike was impressive. Full XT even at $4250 would be a good value, but when I saw this bike for $2999 I had to get it. The 2014 model is $2000 more and looked like the same parts spec on their website.
The only other thing I will probably change are the XT shifters. This is a personal preference as they shift just fine. I just prefer the way SRAM shifters feel and work much better. The Shimano stuff just feels too mushy. Like I said personal preference.
All in all a great bike and exceptional value. I have over 500 miles on it in about three months and am very happy with my purchase.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stump jumper, Santa Cruz tall boy, pivot 429.

Submitted by Jeff

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2013

Strengths:    I have had this bike for a while now. It is spec'd great. I get a feeling that Giant put a lot of effort into making a bike with theses spec (this class) at a affordable price point. I am extremely happy with the purchase. I have friends who bought other brands/models in this class and then spend hundreds in upgrades to match what I got from the manufacturer. Rides smooth and fun.

Weaknesses:    I dont like the paint/grafx. to many Griant logos (had to cover them up - x brand it)

Bottom Line:
Im happy I bought this bike.

Submitted by Mike Stopford a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2013

Strengths:    This is the X0 model. Now 6 months old. Great component spec. XT brakes are awesome and I'm really impressed with the wheelset. Super easy to set up tubeless and have not leaked air from day 1. Giant dropper post is great and used often. Sorted geometry means it handles any riding conditions. Great value compared to other brands.

Weaknesses:    Personal setup issues only. Large frame comes with 100mm stem which is way too long. Changed to 80mm and bike is much more fun. Giant grips too squishy. The offset seat post makes climbing a challenge but slid forward on rails it is sweet.

Bottom Line:
My favourite trail bike yet! This thing is so sure-footed in technical terrain you can blast down anything. Climbs really well when seated and not too bad standing. CTD adjustments are great for catering for differing terrain. I use Trail a lot and find the bike rides light and accelerates fast. Descend mode is great for downhill and muddy conditions or during long rides. Don't use climb mode at all. I've owned a lot of Giants and find them good value and well supported by LBS. Had an Anthem X29 which was OK but the Trance X29 is the most fun I've had for years! Giant is pushing 27.5 this year but I'm really happy with the 29er.

Favorite Trail:   Hanmer

Purchased At:   Pushbikes Papanui

Similar Products Used:   Trance X26", Anthem X29.
Own: GT Peace 29, Lynskey Pro 29 SS

Bike Setup:   Large frame X0 2013. Stock except for 80mm stem in place of 100mm.

Submitted by Lou

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2013

Strengths:    This review is for the 2014 Giant Trance 0 29er. This bike is freaking sweet all around. It climbs like a goat, eats up trails / roots and descends very well. I love the drop seat post and XTR components. The five inches of travel, combined with the 29 inch wheels just eats up everything. The weight with pedals was 29.5 pounds (running tubeless).

Weaknesses:    This is a personal preference, but I didn't like the stock Giant grips. They were too "squishy" and I switched them out for some Specialized enduro grips which have a more solid feel.

The Fizik saddle was a little too firm for my taste, but I think I will keep it for another couple of rides to give it a second chance.

I paid $4800 for the bike, which is pretty steep. This is why I am giving the value only 4 chilis. However, that being said, I am still glad I got the 0 model. You have to ride with XT components to really appreciate the crisp shifting and great stopping power / break modulation.

Bottom Line:
I am 6'2" and got the XL. I am glad I did. I read in other reviews that Giant bikes run large. However, because of my ape like arms, combined with a good deal of flexibility, I felt the XL was the right choice. The bike felt balanced and centered. I had room to shift my weight as needed based on the terrain.

This is a fun bike. I don't race. I ride to have fun. I debated getting the Anthem, but am glad I went with the Trance. There is about a 2 pound penalty for the Trance. However, to me, this is worth it to get the dropper seat post, more grip in the stouter tires and 5 inches of travel. Do I really need 5 inches of travel? Probably not. I am not doing anything more than jumps where I get 12-18 inches of air. However, it is nice to have on the trail as it gives a very nice plush ride.

I also debated getting the Giant Trance 27.5. I was able to test ride this size in a large (my LBS didn't have an XL I could test ride.) Giant, in this year's catalog, really pushed the 27.5. They claim the 27.5 has the benefits of both the 26 and 29 inch wheel. See their catalog. Me being the cynic, believe in part, that this is a marketing ploy to get you to buy a new bike in the "optimized" wheel size. To me, compared the the 27.5, the 29er, just ate up the trail better.

In other reviews, I read complaints about the chainstay length. For me, this was a non-issue for the most part. The longer wheelbase gave me a very stable platform for both climbing and speed. The ride felt very stable in all conditions. In tight corners, the handling was superb. There was only one swtichback that I took a little too wide. I am not sure if this was due to the "long" chainstay or because I took the wrong line. Regardless, switchbacks are not fun. However, riding fast is fun and this bike handles like a dream at speed.

I test rode a Santa Cruz Tall Boy. I felt like I had to use more body english on SC TB. For me, the transition to this 29er was seemless. The bike just did what I wanted it to do.

Bottom Line- This is one sweet ride for all but the most extreme DH conditions. I highly recommend this bike.

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs damn well (thanks to the big wheels), descend like a beast (I would be game over doing that with my Epic); very light for that kind of bike; great quality/price; Don't have that 29er feeling everyone warned me about.

Weaknesses:    None so far, or maybe that little slack on the seat post...

Bottom Line:
I red a lot of reviews last winter, looking for the perfect fit for me and I think I found it. I rode an Epic Marathon for the last 4 years and reaching 40 it felt like XC race type bike wasn't the big thing for me anymore. I thought I could use a more playfull ride that could bring back the joy of going downhill. I narrowed my selection to Giant Trance 29er, Santa Cruz TB and Cannondale Trigger 29er 1. Tall Boy was way too expensive for what it came with, Cannondale dealer offered a great deal, but had no bike in store (sorry I just need to touch it before I buy), and finally Giant just was the best value in my opinion (and dealer had bikes in store).

This bike gave me back 10 years and I feel like my bag of skills just upgraded. Friends think I'm in the best shape ever ;-) Going through roots and rock sections has never been so easy. I now have this constant smile on my face everytime I ride.

I've been riding it for 4 months (800km) now and can't remember any bad feeling riding it. Nobby nics are awesome too bad they are so expensive. Fox CTD is pretty nice but I mostly ride it in Trail mode.

First I was going for the X1 but I was finally turned on by the XT group and Wheel upgrade so I chose the X0 just a few hundreds for a massive component improvement.

Love it !

Favorite Trail:   Kingdom trail

Duration Product Used:   800km yet

Purchased At:   Mathieu Performance

Submitted by Jon from Junction a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing, trail riding, light A/M, Awesome geometry, Active suspension, stock groupo

Weaknesses:    brake squeal, saddle, stock bars/grips.

Bottom Line:
Overall awesome very capable, plush ride at a great price. Swapped for an inverted 70mm stem and lowered the bars now the front stays down on long steep climbs and tracks great. suspension seems to go through the majority of travel quickly but never bottoms out. Saddle is uncomfortable to say the least. stock dropper post is sweet. Bike handles and goes where you want without even thinking about it. Doesn't have the long big feel of some 29'ers. Overall great value and starting platform for continued upgrading. Bike is fast fast fast when pushed and responds very well to being ridden hard. Completed my first endurance race on this bike and have no complaints aside from the saddle. Love this bike, great value, great suspension setup-little to no bob when set up correctly, bike just works as a package.

Favorite Trail:   Western Colorado (all)

Duration Product Used:   3 Months