Giant Trance X 29er 1 29er Full Suspension

• Handlebar: Giant Connect SL, Low Rise, 31.8
  • Stem: Giant Connect SL, OverDrive 2

Submitted by extremedave

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2014

Strengths:    Technical climbing and obstacles, downhill stability.

Weaknesses:    Not the fastest thing out there.

Bottom Line:
I've owned numerous hardtail 29ers, a Trance X 26 and a Stumpy FSR 29.
The overlying trait of this bike is simply how good a trail bike it is. It's a very good climber, more so if the climb is rough. And it does an amazing job in our rock gardens and rock rollers, it offers supreme confidence in technical terrain. I wasn't a bad rider before, but this bike has helped me to another level.
We don't have big jumps around here but it does an admirable job in the air. You can charge steep and rough downhills pretty hard, the bike does an admirable job sorting it all out for you. Pedaling efficiency is definitely improved over the 26er version, very little bob and it transfer power standing quite well.

Negatives are it simply isn't "fast". I set numerous personal records on flatter terrain with the FSR that I'm pretty sure I cannot beat with this bike. Similar setup, same weight, but it just doesn't have the same boogie. Which is fine, the Trance crushes the FSR when it gets gnarly.
I did experience the complaint that the bike uses it travel easily. I was on a slick, steep rock face that I chose to bomb rather than roll, and bottomed the fork. It didn't bother me but I've been on that before and never had that happen. I also have some side to side play in the dropper, but it currently functions fine so we'll see how it holds up.

Components:
I ditched the brakes, wheels, shifters, tires, and cranks the first day. I think the X9 RD is a solid offering and the X7 front is fine. I like how the Fox stuff feels, although I did mention the fork bottoming overall I'm very happy with the suspension's overall effectiveness. It performs especially well in rock gardens and rougher terrain, allowing you to keep momentum and make the moves. Could do without the OD2 steerer, limits stem choices. Although the rear end never felt like it was lacking, a 142 axle would be a nice. I changed the bars to a flatter bend which I prefer.
I'm 5'10" with a 32 leg and long arms, the Medium fits very well, much better than the 26 did.

Overall if you're looking for an excellent overall trail tool that excels when it gets rough, this is the bike.

Submitted by Jon from Junction a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing, trail riding, light A/M, Awesome geometry, Active suspension, stock groupo

Weaknesses:    brake squeal, saddle, stock bars/grips.

Bottom Line:
Overall awesome very capable, plush ride at a great price. Swapped for an inverted 70mm stem and lowered the bars now the front stays down on long steep climbs and tracks great. suspension seems to go through the majority of travel quickly but never bottoms out. Saddle is uncomfortable to say the least. stock dropper post is sweet. Bike handles and goes where you want without even thinking about it. Doesn't have the long big feel of some 29'ers. Overall great value and starting platform for continued upgrading. Bike is fast fast fast when pushed and responds very well to being ridden hard. Completed my first endurance race on this bike and have no complaints aside from the saddle. Love this bike, great value, great suspension setup-little to no bob when set up correctly, bike just works as a package.

Favorite Trail:   Western Colorado (all)

Duration Product Used:   3 Months

Purchased At:   LTR Sports

Similar Products Used:   Norco Shinobi, Spec. Stumpy 29'er, spec. FSR-XC, Jamis Dakar,

Bike Setup:   Swapped out for carbon bars and went ghetto tubeless for less rotating weight(huge benefit on 29"). running about 10mm of sag. Swapped for an inverted 70mm stem and lowered the bars

Submitted by David Anson

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2013

Strengths:    God where do I start ,the way it handles, pedals and rides the bumps, its just a great all round trail bike

Weaknesses:    squeaking front brakes Get it sorted Avid.The bike shop swaped the avid front rotors for shimano at no cost to me ,fantastic service.

Bottom Line:
Had been thinking about a 29er for a while saw the trance on the web, booked a ride on one at a demo day and well wanted to poo poo it and say they where overrated but man was I impressed everything was so good about it not just the wheels but also the frame ,components and how the bike handled and was then a convert to 29ers some people say it takes away some of the tricks and skills of riding a 26er and its a bit like cheating but at 53 years old I don,t care .hope Giant continue to make them [ the trance 27.5 just been released this week] I test road the 0 but bought the 1 as it was $1,800 cheeper and road the same.Got a good deal on the bike had the x7 shifters up graded to x9 and x0 front derailier, job done all for less than recommened retail.

Favorite Trail:   Redwoods.Rotorua NZ

Purchased At:   Cyle Obsession Mt Ma

Bike Setup:   Trance x1, x7 shifters upgraded to x9 and x7 front derailier upgraded to x0 .avid front disc rotor changed to shimano, no more noise. apart from that bike is as standard.

Giant Trance X 29er 1 vs. Giant Anthem X 29er 1

I'm planning to buy a new trail bike, and the ones I have available at my LBS is the [URL="http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.x.29er.1/11514/55873/"]Giant Trance X 29er 1[/URL] and the [URL="www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/anthem.x.29er.1/11510/56554/"]Giant Anthem X 29e ... Read More »

huge difference between Trance X 29er 1 and 2?

MSRP ther is about an $800 difference....From the little knowledge I have I know the front fork and rear suspension the 1's Fox is better than the 2's RockShox. How much better I'm not sure.... How about the other components? I'm really undecided.Read More »

Trance X 29er 1 vs 0?

Hey peeps. I'm jumping back into mountain biking after about 10 years mostly away. I've got a 2001 Specialized Enduro Sport that I've put a ton of miles on but not a lot recently. I ride road bikes sometimes and I'm not a bike noob, per se, but I've been out of the MTB game for a while, and I'm hav ... Read More »

Trance X 29er 1

Im looking at the trance x 29er 1 as possibly my new bike. Just curious to see how anyone likes this bike and how it rides. ThanksRead More »

Trance X 29er-1 rear shock issue (and fix)

So I recently had a rear shock issue on my two month-old X1 whereby oil was puddling around the o-ring. My lbs mechanic thought it warranted a send-off to Fox and felt it was a little excessive. I just got it back after about 10 days and man does it ride nice. Night and day. I even compressed it in ... Read More »