Giant Trance X 29er 0 29er Full Suspension

4.83/5 (24 Reviews)

The newest member of the award-winning Trance X family is this all-new 29er. The premium ALUXX SL frameset has been tuned to match the performance benefits of lager 29-inch wheels. At its core: proven Maestro Suspension plus a host of frame technologies including the OverDrive 2 steerer tube and PowerCore bottom bracket. Whether you’re climbing or descending, pinning it at speed or crawling through technical terrain, there’s no better way to own the trail.

Submitted by leffo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2014

Strengths:    Quality, pedaling, suspension design, short chain stay, light, nice looking(black, grey and green 2013), internal cable routing, 29" inch wheels!!!

Weaknesses:    PF bearing cups, cant go wrong with threaded cups... Choice of stem and handlebar is very important.

Bottom Line:
Custom built from frameset only. Forget about 26 and 27,5(which is virtually the same) and go for the Trance 29er. Thought my reign was a good AM-bike but this is really an ALL Mountain MTB! Climbs like a goat and descends like a flying carpet.

Similar Products Used:   Cube ltd CC 26"
Giant reign 2007 26"
On one 456 carbon 26"
Salsa dos niner 29"

Bike Setup:   Rock shox revelation 140mm, hope pro 2 evo, mavic tn719, Schwalbe NN, 60mm stem and straight wide easton EC70 carbon bar. 182cm tall and the frame is Large. Perfect fit!

Submitted by deepairdiver

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2013

Strengths:    climbing. descending.

Weaknesses:    need to load the front of the bike on the steep ascents

Bottom Line:
ive only ever had a Trance.
started riding mtb in 2007 on a Trance x3 26er. Bought a Trance 29er X0 2014 last week.
Blimey !
there is nothing it dont do really well. on steep climbs my 26er got really light on the front so i have always been used to leaning right forward to keep the front down. The 29er is the same. Not a problem for me at all.
spec on the 2014 is tops.
i cant believe a bike can make such a difference to my style of riding.
out of the box ive gone from running at the back of my group to leading the pack. the effort required to do the same trails on my 26 has diminished soooo much.
if your in the market for a top bike, this is it. undoubtedly !

Submitted by aybarssurucu a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2013

Strengths:    Compact geometry / I'm 5' 5" and goes fine with XS.

Weaknesses:    Maybe internal routing from factory could be better.

Bottom Line:
I waited for that bike over a year... I've started to ride it in October and it feels great!

I'm riding mountain bikes since 1995 and needed a more "do-it-all" bike. So Trance X 29er was my ride to have.

Duration Product Used:   2 Months

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-Works Camber

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by Louis a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2013

Strengths:    29er wheels eat up everything you throw at it. Geometry is relaxed enough to give confidence on the downhills and aggressive enough to climb back up. Spec is perfect from the rubber up.

Weaknesses:    Saddle is a bit minimal. CTD takes some time to get use to. Wish the break line was routed internally too. Will have to do the work myself in the off-season.

Bottom Line:
This bike is inspiring. Some professional reviews have called this bike "pedestrian." I would agree if you are a very aggressive rider looking to push the edge. However if you are a weekend warrior this bike will reward you on the trail. I have been able to do so much more on this bike than I was ever able to do on my hard tail. The combination of the geometry, 5 inches of plush, efficient travel (thank you Maestro) and 29er hoops is confidence boosting. The 2X10 XT drivetrain is nicely matched and the XT disc breaks are fantastic. The "DT Swiss" giant wheels are stiff and light. The dropper post is reliable and easy. CTD took a little more time to get dialed in but really helps on the trail. The only thing I would change is the seat and grips based on personal preference.

One note: I flipped the stem to keep the front end a little lower. Also, I will be re-routing the break line internally and turning the tires tubeless this winter.

Submitted by Rocnerd a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2013

Strengths:    Component spec is great. The price at $2999 was too good to pass up. At around 27 lbs this bike is a light weight for a 29er aluminum full suspension bike.

Weaknesses:    The seat felt like a torture device. I find I have a lot more pedal strikes with this bike than any other I have owned.

Bottom Line:
After two rides I knew that the saddle had to go. I don't think I got more than five miles both times before the pain set in. I just don't understand the need for a dropper post. I kept it on for about five rides on various types of trails before swapping it out for a carbon post and dropping a pound in weight. I also flipped the stem and found I like that position better. My other bike is a race oriented hard tail so I am used to that more aggressive riding position. I have definitely noticed more pedal strikes with this bike than any bike I have owned even when timing pedal strokes. I have taken to riding mostly with the rear shock locked out to help combat this. This still provides enough squish for regular trail riding but doesn't allow full compression of the rear shock so helps keep the bottom bracket higher and minimizes the pedal strike tendency. I just flip it into the mid travel or open for the descents.
This bike with the carbon post and candy pedals weighs in at 26.75 lbs in a large frame with a bottle holder. That is impressive and I haven't even converted to tubeless yet.
The part spec for this bike was impressive. Full XT even at $4250 would be a good value, but when I saw this bike for $2999 I had to get it. The 2014 model is $2000 more and looked like the same parts spec on their website.
The only other thing I will probably change are the XT shifters. This is a personal preference as they shift just fine. I just prefer the way SRAM shifters feel and work much better. The Shimano stuff just feels too mushy. Like I said personal preference.
All in all a great bike and exceptional value. I have over 500 miles on it in about three months and am very happy with my purchase.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stump jumper, Santa Cruz tall boy, pivot 429.

Submitted by Mike Stopford a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2013

Strengths:    This is the X0 model. Now 6 months old. Great component spec. XT brakes are awesome and I'm really impressed with the wheelset. Super easy to set up tubeless and have not leaked air from day 1. Giant dropper post is great and used often. Sorted geometry means it handles any riding conditions. Great value compared to other brands.

Weaknesses:    Personal setup issues only. Large frame comes with 100mm stem which is way too long. Changed to 80mm and bike is much more fun. Giant grips too squishy. The offset seat post makes climbing a challenge but slid forward on rails it is sweet.

Bottom Line:
My favourite trail bike yet! This thing is so sure-footed in technical terrain you can blast down anything. Climbs really well when seated and not too bad standing. CTD adjustments are great for catering for differing terrain. I use Trail a lot and find the bike rides light and accelerates fast. Descend mode is great for downhill and muddy conditions or during long rides. Don't use climb mode at all. I've owned a lot of Giants and find them good value and well supported by LBS. Had an Anthem X29 which was OK but the Trance X29 is the most fun I've had for years! Giant is pushing 27.5 this year but I'm really happy with the 29er.

Favorite Trail:   Hanmer

Purchased At:   Pushbikes Papanui

Similar Products Used:   Trance X26", Anthem X29.
Own: GT Peace 29, Lynskey Pro 29 SS

Bike Setup:   Large frame X0 2013. Stock except for 80mm stem in place of 100mm.

Submitted by Lou

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2013

Strengths:    This review is for the 2014 Giant Trance 0 29er. This bike is freaking sweet all around. It climbs like a goat, eats up trails / roots and descends very well. I love the drop seat post and XTR components. The five inches of travel, combined with the 29 inch wheels just eats up everything. The weight with pedals was 29.5 pounds (running tubeless).

Weaknesses:    This is a personal preference, but I didn't like the stock Giant grips. They were too "squishy" and I switched them out for some Specialized enduro grips which have a more solid feel.

The Fizik saddle was a little too firm for my taste, but I think I will keep it for another couple of rides to give it a second chance.

I paid $4800 for the bike, which is pretty steep. This is why I am giving the value only 4 chilis. However, that being said, I am still glad I got the 0 model. You have to ride with XT components to really appreciate the crisp shifting and great stopping power / break modulation.

Bottom Line:
I am 6'2" and got the XL. I am glad I did. I read in other reviews that Giant bikes run large. However, because of my ape like arms, combined with a good deal of flexibility, I felt the XL was the right choice. The bike felt balanced and centered. I had room to shift my weight as needed based on the terrain.

This is a fun bike. I don't race. I ride to have fun. I debated getting the Anthem, but am glad I went with the Trance. There is about a 2 pound penalty for the Trance. However, to me, this is worth it to get the dropper seat post, more grip in the stouter tires and 5 inches of travel. Do I really need 5 inches of travel? Probably not. I am not doing anything more than jumps where I get 12-18 inches of air. However, it is nice to have on the trail as it gives a very nice plush ride.

I also debated getting the Giant Trance 27.5. I was able to test ride this size in a large (my LBS didn't have an XL I could test ride.) Giant, in this year's catalog, really pushed the 27.5. They claim the 27.5 has the benefits of both the 26 and 29 inch wheel. See their catalog. Me being the cynic, believe in part, that this is a marketing ploy to get you to buy a new bike in the "optimized" wheel size. To me, compared the the 27.5, the 29er, just ate up the trail better.

In other reviews, I read complaints about the chainstay length. For me, this was a non-issue for the most part. The longer wheelbase gave me a very stable platform for both climbing and speed. The ride felt very stable in all conditions. In tight corners, the handling was superb. There was only one swtichback that I took a little too wide. I am not sure if this was due to the "long" chainstay or because I took the wrong line. Regardless, switchbacks are not fun. However, riding fast is fun and this bike handles like a dream at speed.

I test rode a Santa Cruz Tall Boy. I felt like I had to use more body english on SC TB. For me, the transition to this 29er was seemless. The bike just did what I wanted it to do.

Bottom Line- This is one sweet ride for all but the most extreme DH conditions. I highly recommend this bike.

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs damn well (thanks to the big wheels), descend like a beast (I would be game over doing that with my Epic); very light for that kind of bike; great quality/price; Don't have that 29er feeling everyone warned me about.

Weaknesses:    None so far, or maybe that little slack on the seat post...

Bottom Line:
I red a lot of reviews last winter, looking for the perfect fit for me and I think I found it. I rode an Epic Marathon for the last 4 years and reaching 40 it felt like XC race type bike wasn't the big thing for me anymore. I thought I could use a more playfull ride that could bring back the joy of going downhill. I narrowed my selection to Giant Trance 29er, Santa Cruz TB and Cannondale Trigger 29er 1. Tall Boy was way too expensive for what it came with, Cannondale dealer offered a great deal, but had no bike in store (sorry I just need to touch it before I buy), and finally Giant just was the best value in my opinion (and dealer had bikes in store).

This bike gave me back 10 years and I feel like my bag of skills just upgraded. Friends think I'm in the best shape ever ;-) Going through roots and rock sections has never been so easy. I now have this constant smile on my face everytime I ride.

I've been riding it for 4 months (800km) now and can't remember any bad feeling riding it. Nobby nics are awesome too bad they are so expensive. Fox CTD is pretty nice but I mostly ride it in Trail mode.

First I was going for the X1 but I was finally turned on by the XT group and Wheel upgrade so I chose the X0 just a few hundreds for a massive component improvement.

Love it !

Favorite Trail:   Kingdom trail

Duration Product Used:   800km yet

Purchased At:   Mathieu Performance

Submitted by TonyM a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2013

Strengths:    Light for a 29er (weighed 27.74lbs w/out pedals at LBS), stable, climbs well, descends even better than it climbs, nimble, great equipment package.

Weaknesses:    Not sure about the dropper seat-post.

Bottom Line:
Upgraded to the 2013 Trance X0 29er from a 26". I love this bike! I little more work getting up the hills, but I'm sure that will change as I get accustomed to the double ring gearing. This bike is very stable. Going down-hill and around corners this bike feels like its on rails. Before I bought this bike I also tried the Niner Jet 9, Anthem X 29, Trek Rmblefish, Trek Superfly, and looked at the Ellsworth Epiphany 275, Turner bikes. The Giant Trance X0 29er was the hands down most versatile and obvious choice when considering the bikes capabilities, fit, quality, equipment and price.

Submitted by CanmoreC

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs extremely well (combination of maestro suspension/fox ctd and large 29er tire contact to ground)
Weight of frame is very low for aluminum (have seen very little frame flex)
Descends with confidence (very fast)

Weaknesses:    Tougher to get around on tight technical turns (whether descending or climbing)
A little bit of suspension noise from maestro (but a lot of giants have that problem)

Bottom Line:
This is a further review from my April 22nd points.

I have about 200 km's on the bike now and feel pretty confident talking about its strengths and weaknesses.

Bought the frame and built up with;
Sram xx1 w/grip shift and 32 tooth crank up front
Easton carbon seatpost
Fizik tundra saddle
Nobby Nics
Time Atac XC carbon 8 pedals

The bike is an wild animal!! It climbs incredibly well (weighs just under 26 pounds), the combination of maestro/ctd and 29 wheels allow me to get huge amounts of power and traction to the ground (the talas fox fork helps with a more aggressive position for climbing as well). Then open up the suspension to trail / descend and the bike takes off! Your either riding the brakes often to keep your speed down on the technical stuff or off them and flying over whatever is in your way. There is some slow turning evident like any 29er on tight stuff but I have gotten used to that and compensate by swinging the ass end around more.
Living in Canmore AB we see a mixture of xc/technical xc and all mountain riding with lots of ups and downs. The bike performs very well in this environment.

Would completely recommend this bike (or any of the giant trance x29er line) for both newbies getting into the sport or advanced riders wanting an all-round one bike steed.
Only upgrade in the near future would be a dropper post but that can wait until next year.

Now if only I could find more time to ride!

Submitted by Hophead1

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2013

Strengths:    Good componets, nice dropper post, fantastic fox suspension. Maestro supsension design is top notch.

Weaknesses:    Avid elixir brakes-they stop the bike well, but they are a noisy pita.
Seat is not that comfortable.

Bottom Line:
THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE X1:
The bike was a lot of fun as set up. Very comfortable, pedaling, even in the trail mode was very efficient. The suspension is plush w/o being soggy or trampoline like, I don't know how they managed that but its impressive. Frame is rugged, confidence inspiring. The short wheel base, short chain stay, slack hta make for outstanding handling. Once used to the different feel, the maneuverability is on par with a good 26er. I take on tight technical, jungle-like trails in florida and have a blast. three ride positions on both front and back suspension plus rebound adjustment. s1000 crank is solid, the sram drivetrain has been really good. great shifting. x9 rear derailleur is awesome, x7 shifters are good, not as sweet as the xo's and such but noticably better than shimano alivio that is on everything.
Notes on adjustments: Early on, the front end was a bit light for me, the wheel was coming up off of the ground, and bouncing off of roots. I move the seat a little forward. issue resolved by getting a little more weight over the front tire. I also lowered the air pressure to 100 in the front. (i'm 6'0, 215) handling is great. as this bike rolls really fast, i was having some trouble with fast turns. slow tech stuff was never an issue. i flipped the stem, stretching me out slightly more and getting me down a little lower, still very comfortable. i'm going faster than ever. really having a blast on this bike now. btw- i use the dropper post, a lot, and love it.

Submitted by nmeofun a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs like a hardtail. Descends like a 6"+ DH'er. Confidence inspiring! I may not ride my hadtail ever again!

Weaknesses:    Not really any so far. I don't really like the gips, but that's an easy fix when I get around to it.

Bottom Line:
I demo'ed the X1 and loved it. Was going to buy the X1 and upgrade the brakes and wheels but finally decided to just get the X0 and was out the door for $3630. I absolutely love this bike! I had an 04 Specialized Stumpy that I never really liked so that put me on my HT most of the time. I was tired of being the slowest guy on the DH, but those days are over! The X0 goes down like no other bike I've ever ridden. My confidence is up and my times are down! As for climbing; this bike climbs only a little slower than my HT but way faster than the stumpy. Because I ride a SS as well, I like to get out of the saddle and the Trance stays planted and I don't spin out.

I have zero complaints about this bike. I don't forsee any changes coming except maybe lowering the stem by a couple of spacers.

I'm 5-11 and went with the medium. It fits me perfectly, is nimble and easy to maneuver. It took one ride to get used to the 29" wheels but even that was easy. Riding got even more fun!

Climbing: planted, no spinning out, front feels planted
Descending: confidence inpsiring, fast, nimble, smooth
Single-track: tracks well, good grip by Nobby Nics - Doesn't feel like a 29'er in the tight stuff.

Purchased At:   LBS!!!!

Bike Setup:   Stock setup as listed on Giant web-site.

Submitted by Gabe

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2013

Strengths:    Rolls super fast but feels like a 26 in the trail, even on switchbacks.

Weaknesses:    Frame is so ugly. The good news is I can not see it when I am riding it. So much fun to ride, I do not care how fugly it is.

Bottom Line:
Came from a 26 hard tail and I had no problems adjusting. By my second ride, I was clearing sections that use to make me a little uneasy. It is making me a much faster and more fearless rider. I can't wait till my next epic ride. Love the bike but will somebody please tell Giant to tone down the colors and shine.

Submitted by Canmore C a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs well with lots of grip
Descends with confidence (almost scary)
Changes direction well for a 29er
Weight (quite light for an aluminum frame) which translates to faster acceleration and easy transitions
Build kit (X0 & X1)
Geometry and comfort (my preference is a little more XC oriented)
AND PRICE!

Weaknesses:    Still feels a little big (usual 29er style) and not hard to get used too.

Bottom Line:
I had been sitting on the fence about my next bike for some time and after extensive research and demo’s. I narrowed my finalists down to the new Rocky mountain Altitude 650b and 2 29ers (Trance x and Tallboy LTC). Loved the TB Ltc but was turned away from the premium on the carbon and the higher weight of the Lta.

After riding the Rocky mountain and the Trance X back to back I found the Trance both suited my body type (6’1 and 190 lbs) and style of riding (eastern side of the Rocky mountains (technical singletrack/am).
I found the Trance very “flick-able”, accelerated efficiently for a 29er and descended aggressively. The maestro suspension, all be it not as “boutique” as VPP or DW is designed well and performs admirably with good power translation to the ground and not a lot of energy loss through suspension "bob".

The price and warranty of the Giant is another plus and leaves room for upgrades.
Since there were no XO's left to purchase (sold out in our area but was able to ride both the XO and X1) I bought the frame set and in the process of building it up.

This bike is a well sorted out 29er that balances the burly xc/am side of mountain biking. Test ride one and you won't be disappointed! Then buy it and RIDE! I will have a hard time telling my wife that I need to spend that much time with a mountain bike.

Favorite Trail:   Horseshoe / G8 / Reclaimer - Canmore

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd/rode many 29ers (Spec. Stumpy FSR Comp & Expert, SantaCruz Tallboy LTC, Trek Rumblefish & Superfly,Rocky Mountain Altitude & Instict 970). As well as a handfull of 26er's and Norco's/Rocky Mountains new 650 b's.

Bike Setup:   Finalizing parts kit now and will post details and another review once completed.

Submitted by Dave Dickson a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2013

Strengths:    its just right. goes up and down like a dream. my riding and confidence has improved in leaps and bounds. great value and the full xt is great. it felt like id been riding it for ages on the first ride and it keeps getting better. super grippy tyres.

Weaknesses:    Frames may be long but not high 22inch xl measures 21. I'm a bit of a freak and have super long legs I'm 6'3" and the standard giant 375mm post was way to short but LBS sorted me a good deal on a 420mm reverb which also fixed the seat being to fat back issue given the height of the post. rear tyre was taking a hammering on the road to and from tracks so I've changed it (great tyres but soft which is great for riding but not long lasting).

Bottom Line:
I love it its just fun to ride and eats what I throw at it.
If your thinking of getting one just get it.

Duration Product Used:   3months