Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er 0 29er Full Suspension

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Developed to give the Rabobank-Giant World Cup XC team every advantage on technical courses, Giant’s first composite full-suspension 29er has arrived. With an Advanced-grade Composite front triangle and ALUXX SL rear swingarm, plus the legendary performance of Maestro suspension, this is the bike that makes fast riders faster. The handcrafted composite frame is engineered for 29-inch wheels. Its OverDrive 2 headtube offers pinpoint steering. The MegaDrive downtube and PowerCore bottom bracket boost power and control.

• RockShox SID 29 RCT3 with QR15 thru-axle, OverDrive 2 tapered steerer suspension fork and RockShox Monarch RT3 rear shock
  • SRAM XX componentry
  • SRAM XX World Cup hydraulic disc brakes
  • SRAM Rise 60 Carbon 29” wheelset
  • Color: Composite/White/Blue

Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er Pro Review

The Giant Anthem X Advanced 29 is the latest iteration of the best selling full suspension bike by Giant. It is a 4 inch travel full suspension bike meant for XC riding and this year, the front triangle has been converted to carbon fiber. The tapered head tube steerer has been increased to 1.25? on top instead of 1.125? and this along with the change to carbon has resulted in a 7% increase in stiffness. The BB area has increased in stiffness by 3% with the switch to carbon fiber. Continue reading →

Submitted by Tim Cooper

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2013

Strengths:    Rode a anthem for a 24 hours race and decided based on components, price range, and rider reviews this was good evolution for me to move into it. fast climber. rocket ship comes to mind. launches swithcbacks well. componentry is good but not my first choice. brakes are noisy. hubs are very very fast andrimshold up well!

Weaknesses:    brakes are loud and squeaky, would prefer an xtr brake, lots of chips on paint, should be more attention to chipping spots.
2x10 questionable - not great for a mountain climber. Bike needs a lower gear for mountain climbing.

Bottom Line:
No regrets on this bike. handle is beautiful. climbs great. descends very fast. big kilometrs this bike will put you on the podium. distance is this bikes best friend.been riding mountain bikes since 1982. This is my first niner. it will make you a faster rider and will allow you to ride farther than usual. summary : work of art but manufacturesrs need to pay more attention to details and known wear zones.. Bottom line: it has made me a better rider.

Submitted by Silentfoe

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    Combining a dual short link rear suspension with a carbon frame, carbon wheels, Rock Shox suspension and Sram XX is a no brainer and was begging to be done. Thanks to Giant for making it happen.

Weaknesses:    Included lock on grips. I understand the appeal on a trail bike but not so much on a light weight race/endurance bike.

Bottom Line:
Any bike that costs this much is a bit hard to swallow. It also lends itself to glowing reviews because the reviewer will never admit they spent that much money on a bike they don't like. I like high end bikes and have owned a few so I feel like I can be a bit neutral in my review. I am coming from a 2009 Turner Sultan and a 2011 Scott Scale RC. Both ended up on the extremes of what I needed, a longer travel trail bike and an uber light XC HT. I needed to split the difference. A light bike is everything when you are doing long races and it helps to have great suspension. Being a fan of the DW link but not seeing anything on the "carbon horizon" from those companies, I began to look at Niner (CVA) and Giant (Maestro). I rode the Jet RDO and enjoyed the ride but it seriously has to be the ugliest bike ever made. I rode several Anthems and fell in love. I just needed it to be lighter. So earlier this year, Giant announces the Anthem Advanced X29er 0. This had to be it! I sold the Turner and the Scott and impatiently waited for the delivery date. In the mean time I spent the summer riding two loaner Anthems from my LBS. For the first two months I was on the X2 and then the next two on the X1. Besides the component differences both bikes were very similar. I did find that the X2 equipped with the RS monarch and Reba fork rode much better on the Anthem than the Fox stuff did on the X1. Night and day really. The RS stuff made the bike feel like an XC race machine. It was playful and fast. The Fox stuff made the bike feel more trail capable with bigger hit capability. Not really my thing. I was more glad than ever that the Advanced 0 came with RS.

Now that I've had the bike for several months it has lived up to the billing. It is a hair under 23lbs with my pedals and foam ESI chunky grips. I made the tires tubeless and have not made any other changes to the bike. My model came with the Giant carbon wheels, not the Sram Rise 60's. They weighed in at 1428 grams and were a piece of cake to set up tubeless with the supplied valves, tape and Schwalbe Racing Ralphs. The rear tire leaked around the sidewall for several days but I haven't had any issues since. The wheels are stiff and light and in all reality, I just don't have to pay attention to them that much. Bliss. The rear hub makes a distinct noise which isn't obnoxious or cheap sounding. It's grown on me and I enjoy it now.

The Advanced 0 rides fast and really doesn't need the three settings on the fork and the shock. I have played around with them and have found a few places to use them but not often. The Maestro is that good. The stack on the steerer is huge and once I found my happy place, I cut it down. Oh, one other thing I cut down...the handlebar. The supplied Giant carbon bar is 730mm long!!! Wow. I took 20mm off of each side and brought it down to 690mm. Much better. I should say I am 6'2" and 195lbs. I am on the XL and just didn't find I needed bars that wide.

I've done several races on it now, to include the last 24 hours of Moab and have to say that it is doing everything I hoped it would. Super fast, super light and built to last. The build quality is amazing with great attention to detail in the little stuff. I find myself wondering if next year there will be a carbon rear triangle and at the same time, thinking it doesn't need it. The rear is really stiff without flex and with the DT swiss RWS rear skewer, it doesn't need anything else. Carbon would only add into the already high cost of admission with little to gain.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a light weight, long distance race bike with great performing suspension that doesn't need any band-aids to make it work, look no further. Even for shorter races, this bike spins up fast and rockets forward. You'd be hard pressed to find a better performing bike.

Anyone go from a 29er to a Anthem X Advanced SL 0 26" wheel?

I've been on 29ers for a couple years now and I'm loving them. Recently, I've been thinking of adding a 26" XC race bike to the stable. Most of the courses I race on are tight, but some of them are also rooty. Don't know if I'd be wasting my money getting a 26" inch bike. I thought maybe the Anthem ... Read More »