Giant Anthem X 29er 4 29er Full Suspension

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)
MSRP : $1925.00

What do you get when you combine the quickness and agility of Anthem X with the control of 29-inch wheels? You get this, the bike that has won the hearts of even the purest XC speed freaks. Featuring a lightweight ALUXX SL frameset with Maestro Suspension, an OverDrive headtube and PowerCore bottom bracket-plus the confident handling of 29-inch wheels-Anthem X 29er is Mr. Versatility.

• RockShox Recon Silver 29, OverDrive steerer suspension fork and RockShox Monarch R rear shock
  • SRAM X.5 componentry
  • Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Giant P-XC29 2 rim/Giant Tracker sealed F/R hubs, stainless spokes, wheelset
  • Color: Satin Charcoal/Red/Black

Submitted by Dave

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2014

Strengths:    In early 2013, I got the Anthem X 29er full suspension. I previously road a Specialized Jump Stumper 26". The difference was huge. Note - I re-configured the Anthem X 29er with tubeless Maxxis tires, The Schwabe tires that came with the bike suffered multiple flats, I upgraded to lighter America Classic wheels to loose weight, and I switched to Easton carbon handle bars. The bike now weights under 27 lbs and is more agile, more responsive, climbs much better than my previous 26" bike and the suspension is very efficient and predictable in all riding conditions. This bike brings a smile every time I get on it. My rides tend to be long (25-38 miles) with elevation gains (2000-6000 ft). I find I can ride further, faster and handle the technical stuff better. It is too much fun.

Weaknesses:    Only on very rough terrain over a long ride downhill do I find the suspension a bit limited against aother 29ers with 5" or more suspension. It still is light years beyond any 26" bike of 5" suspension.

Bottom Line:
I test rode several other 29er bikes and found the Giant Anthem X 29er to be a good value for the price and the Maestro suspension I liked the best. After a full season of strong rides, it has exceeded by all my hopes and expectations. I will ride this bike for years.

Submitted by tech98 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2013

Strengths:    Great suspension, climbs like a goat, excellent value

Weaknesses:    Front wheel flex, rock-hard seat

Bottom Line:
I moved up from a rigid 26er so the speed and comfort of a FS 29er was a revelation. It takes a while to adapt to the different handling -- you use more steering and less lean compared to a skinny-tired 26er. The only minor disadvantage: not quite as adept on tight hairpin turns.
Feels very stable, climbs like a goat, remarkably little suspension bob; I hardly ever need the lockout. It lives for cross-country but handles rough stuff well too.
The seat and handgrips are cheap and uncomfortable so toss them early. Racing Ralph tires are OK for southern Cal dirt but you'll want more nobby tread for substantial mud/loose stuff.
I found the riding posture too hunched over, fixed with a 30 degree riser stem.
The larger diameter of a 29er makes it susceptible to substantial front wheel flex. This affects handling and means occasional brake rubbing when cornering; removing the front wheel means a fiddly readjusting of the brakes every time. So upgrade to a thru-axle wheel for better rigidity.

Think of it as a basic platform where you'll upgrade components over time. Overall a great value, all-round capable cross-country bike. Would thoroughly recommend it for anyone shopping for their first FS 29er.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth MTB Park intermediate trails

Duration Product Used:   1.5 years

Submitted by Allan_m

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2013

Strengths:    very light for a 29er , very fast, durable, great price for full suspension bike, it can take punishment!! It could handle the job well.

Weaknesses:    seat very uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
great price, better components than the 2014 x3.

I do trail rides twice a week, with jumps, downhill, single track. it can take all the punishment i give, overall performance is great! very durable!

Submitted by bamoore5

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2012

Strengths:    comfortable suspension. good price point. will get years of use. I believe this is the best all around mountain bike someone could purchase.

Weaknesses:    seat uncomfortable. changed it out immediately. minor annoyances - Had to adjust brake pads a few times to stop them from rubbing on the disk. noticed some rear brake fade on steep downhill.

Bottom Line:
I feel faster on this bike. Upgraded form 26" hardtail to 29er full suspension. way more comfy on any trail. climbs awesome. rode up local fire road (Cowles Mountain San Deigo) nonstop for the first time. Hardtail 26" either spun out or wheelied. Must be the larger contact patch or the fact that suspension keeps rear wheel in continuous contact with terrain.

Submitted by Mike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2012

Strengths:    Very smooth riding bike. Seems like a lot of value for the bucks. I like the way the 29 inch tires roll over obstales. So far it has been incredibly durable even through a couple of major crashes. It is a very comfortable ride for me.

Weaknesses:    The color is nothing too eye-catching.

Bottom Line:
I am a big guy 6-4 and 230. This bike handles my size just fine. It is my first full suspension bike and I really enjoy riding it. I live on the edge of the National Forest and ride it on the single tracks here in Colorado everyday. I have owned it for about two months now and it has performed well with no problems.

Diamondback 2013 Recoil Pro 29er VS. Giant Anthem X 29er 4

Hi MTBR Community! First of all, I would like to say that that this is a great forum/website and that I have been checking out the different threads here periodically in the last couple of weeks, since I started looking for an entry level 29er FS MTB. I am aware of the fact that generally speaking ... Read More »

Anthem X 29er 4.0

Anyone own a Anthem X 29er 4.0? I'm considering buying one and wondering how you like it.Read More »

Giant Anthem X 29er 4.0 - $1,650 - should I buy?

Today, I found an Anthem X 29er 4.0 for $1,650. It weighed in at 29.75 pounds. Seems like a pretty good deal - but is that a bit heavy for an Anthem 29er? I thought I saw on this forum that some others were weighing in at 28 pounds and less but maybe those were the 2.0 and up. The guy also menti ... Read More »