Giant Anthem X 29er 0 29er Full Suspension

4.67/5 (105 Reviews)

What do you get when you combine the quickness and agility of Anthem X with the stability and control of 29-inch wheels? You get this, the bike that has won the hearts of even the purest XC speed freaks. It was developed with Giant XC pros and has scored big-time wins. Featuring a lightweight FluidForm ALUXX SL frameset with Maestro Suspension, an OverDrive 2* oversize headtube and PowerCore bottom bracket-plus the confident handling of 29-inch wheels-Anthem X 29er is Mr. Versatility.

• RockShox SID 29 RCT3 with QR15 thru-axle, OverDrive 2 tapered steerer suspension fork and RockShox Monarch RT3 rear shock
  • SRAM X9/X0 componentry
  • Avid Elixir 9 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Sizes: S, M, L, XL
  • Color: Charcoal/Blue/Black

Submitted by Uncle Rico a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2014

Strengths:    Suspension is unbelievable, bike handles well, light weight, best value that I could find for the price.

Weaknesses:    None...yet.

Bottom Line:
Picked up the 2014 Giant Anthem X1. I had been looking around for used models as well as the X3 model. These bikes hold their value pretty well and the savings to pick up a used one was not enough for me. I thought it was worth spending the extra $ for the warranty alone. They gave me a discount and threw in tubeless tires and I was a good to go.

I am new to mountain biking and did plenty of research before pulling the trigger. I used to ride MX but am just getting into the mtn bike scene. Immediately, after just a few miles, it's evident how well the suspension works. The guys did a standard set up for me, for my height, weight, etc. I have yet to find any reason to adjust it at all. The more i get a feel for the bike, the more I realize how great it is. For the $ to value ratio, I just don't think there is anything out there close based on all the research I did. The components are mid range quality/weight but they seem to work really well, no issues yet. I'm 5'9 and got a size medium, I'm not sure of the weight but its definitely under 30lbs, probably close to 27.

The bike handles really well, it's a good climber, awesome in the flats and it corners well. It's also solid going downhill but remember, this is a race/cross country bike. I am sure it would be better downhill if it was heavier but who wants to push that extra weight around?

After several rides, the word that best describes this bike is capable. It can really do everything well, maybe not the best at 1 particular thing, but it is just good or really good in all areas. As more comfort for the bike grows, so is my confidence in how it can perform. I'm certain the only limitations of this bike are the extent of my skill level riding it.

Eventually I may throw on some carbon rims but other than that, this is a beauty right out of the box.

Duration Product Used:   6 rides

Purchased At:   Cal Coast Bicycles

Submitted by Dave

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2014

Strengths:    In early 2013, I got the Anthem X 29er full suspension. I previously road a Specialized Jump Stumper 26". The difference was huge. Note - I re-configured the Anthem X 29er with tubeless Maxxis tires, The Schwabe tires that came with the bike suffered multiple flats, I upgraded to lighter America Classic wheels to loose weight, and I switched to Easton carbon handle bars. The bike now weights under 27 lbs and is more agile, more responsive, climbs much better than my previous 26" bike and the suspension is very efficient and predictable in all riding conditions. This bike brings a smile every time I get on it. My rides tend to be long (25-38 miles) with elevation gains (2000-6000 ft). I find I can ride further, faster and handle the technical stuff better. It is too much fun.

Weaknesses:    Only on very rough terrain over a long ride downhill do I find the suspension a bit limited against aother 29ers with 5" or more suspension. It still is light years beyond any 26" bike of 5" suspension.

Bottom Line:
I test rode several other 29er bikes and found the Giant Anthem X 29er to be a good value for the price and the Maestro suspension I liked the best. After a full season of strong rides, it has exceeded by all my hopes and expectations. I will ride this bike for years.

Submitted by Phil

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2013

Strengths:    Handling

Weaknesses:    Rear brake has howled since day one. Dealer can't fix--even after putting new brake set on. On downhills, I sound like a freight train coming.

Bottom Line:
I it a great bike, I wish someone could fix the "howl".

Submitted by Tavm a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2013

Strengths:    Frame is solid and the Rockshox suspension does a great job. Pivot points seem solid.

Weaknesses:    Drivetrain leaves a little to be desired. Get ghost-shifts on occasion in the rear. Need to apply helicopter tape on a couple spots to eliminate rub. Pedal bobbing is a noticeable issue on ascents.

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension bike, having previously ridden a hardtail Giant Talon. At 37 years old, this bike improved my riding all the way around. Just recently a friend of mine told me that he could tell that I was far more comfortable and confident because "I was flying down the trail" compared to my typical riding on past bikes. I don't really know if it's just the suspension or not, but this bike makes me faster, more capable, and more confident. Soaks up the trail and smooths it out, turning is easy and quick. I like that it's more comfortable to ride in general on the trail, I like that it's faster. I like that it's easy to change out the air pressures in the shock and fork.

Things I've noticed that I didn't like have been that my front end, even at lower tire pressures (racing ralph tires) will push a bit on some corners, and sometimes wash completely with me having to drop a foot down to save it and keep going...but that's more than likely due to the terrain and my position than the bike itself perhaps. The drive train works well under normal conditions, but at several points will give me some flak when shifting or hard load...which I discussed under weaknesses previously.

Overall, I think that if I had to do it all over again, I'd just spend the money for the higher component package. You'll get better stuff and spend less money than if you do it peace-meal over time. The bike is awesome, just could be more awesome with better components.

Bike Setup:   Added some Saint pedals.

Submitted by tech98 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2013

Strengths:    Great suspension, climbs like a goat, excellent value

Weaknesses:    Front wheel flex, rock-hard seat

Bottom Line:
I moved up from a rigid 26er so the speed and comfort of a FS 29er was a revelation. It takes a while to adapt to the different handling -- you use more steering and less lean compared to a skinny-tired 26er. The only minor disadvantage: not quite as adept on tight hairpin turns.
Feels very stable, climbs like a goat, remarkably little suspension bob; I hardly ever need the lockout. It lives for cross-country but handles rough stuff well too.
The seat and handgrips are cheap and uncomfortable so toss them early. Racing Ralph tires are OK for southern Cal dirt but you'll want more nobby tread for substantial mud/loose stuff.
I found the riding posture too hunched over, fixed with a 30 degree riser stem.
The larger diameter of a 29er makes it susceptible to substantial front wheel flex. This affects handling and means occasional brake rubbing when cornering; removing the front wheel means a fiddly readjusting of the brakes every time. So upgrade to a thru-axle wheel for better rigidity.

Think of it as a basic platform where you'll upgrade components over time. Overall a great value, all-round capable cross-country bike. Would thoroughly recommend it for anyone shopping for their first FS 29er.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth MTB Park intermediate trails

Duration Product Used:   1.5 years

Submitted by Gas

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2013

Strengths:    Handling, climbing is sperb... im comparing to my hardtrail 29er i use to have. and downhill defenetly a big improvment.

Weaknesses:    none at this point.

Bottom Line:
fully recomened, i got it for 3,700 and i belive is a great deal.

Submitted by gary a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2013

Strengths:    fast, great at high speed over rough terrain, shimano XT rocks, 2x10 is the best

Bottom Line:
had the bike for a few months, the rougher the trail the better the bike performs. If your on easy single track , don't feel the bike come to life , but when your on rough singletrack, decending rough rocky terrain or just carrying a lot of speed through rough terrain the bike is awesome. Love it. Felt always needed a hardtail for fast riding, but this bike will deliver

Favorite Trail:   peaks -frisco to breck and back

Purchased At:   Pioneer Sports frisc

Similar Products Used:   Klein hard tails, Niner hard tails

Bike Setup:   Stans crest tubeless with hope pro hubs, WCS carbon bars, ritchey grips. thomson post w/ WCS seat, otherwise stock

Submitted by Allan_m

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2013

Strengths:    very light for a 29er , very fast, durable, great price for full suspension bike, it can take punishment!! It could handle the job well.

Weaknesses:    seat very uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
great price, better components than the 2014 x3.

I do trail rides twice a week, with jumps, downhill, single track. it can take all the punishment i give, overall performance is great! very durable!

Submitted by Tim Cooper

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2013

Strengths:    Rode a anthem for a 24 hours race and decided based on components, price range, and rider reviews this was good evolution for me to move into it. fast climber. rocket ship comes to mind. launches swithcbacks well. componentry is good but not my first choice. brakes are noisy. hubs are very very fast andrimshold up well!

Weaknesses:    brakes are loud and squeaky, would prefer an xtr brake, lots of chips on paint, should be more attention to chipping spots.
2x10 questionable - not great for a mountain climber. Bike needs a lower gear for mountain climbing.

Bottom Line:
No regrets on this bike. handle is beautiful. climbs great. descends very fast. big kilometrs this bike will put you on the podium. distance is this bikes best friend.been riding mountain bikes since 1982. This is my first niner. it will make you a faster rider and will allow you to ride farther than usual. summary : work of art but manufacturesrs need to pay more attention to details and known wear zones.. Bottom line: it has made me a better rider.

Submitted by Mark hawkridge

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2013

Strengths:    Purchased in April 2012 and have done just over 2,500 miles in the 15 months of ownership through trail centres, local trails and work commute. Such a well sorted bike that can take on anything. I can climb like a mountain goat, thrash it downhill and cruise past road bikes on the work commute. Wider bars than stock suit me and have settled on slant6 tyres for most conditions. Love this bike. Spec for the money is good etc. but it is all about the way it rides!

Weaknesses:    Not much! Dull colour scheme and wider bars needed

Bottom Line:
You could easily spend double the money for a less sorted bike, just give it a try and see hownit makes you look like a better and faster rider. Reliability also seems good but have now replaced freehub an bb after 12 months of abuse!

Submitted by Phil Stubbs

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2013

Strengths:    This bike ticks a lot of boxes, both as an all day XC machine and as something to tackle technical trails. Straight from the first ride you can tell a lot of design know-how has gone into this machine. Coming from two years of owning a Fisher 29er, I am stunned by the light, quick steering on this bike. Giant have done their homework when it comes to 29ers, I love big wheelers but sometimes found the slightly slow, clumsy steering irksome and switchback trails through trees were no fun but the Anthem seem to have re-written what we should now expect. This is a 29er you could comfortably call 'flickable'.
The componentry is top notch stuff, no complaints about the shimano xt/slx kit, the 2X10 transmission is very easy to use and the Elixer 5 stoppers work without fuss or noise. The fox suspension is as good as anything else you'll find for XC -if you take the trouble to set it up. I erred on a softer, more compliant set up than I did on my Fisher and it works well with the bonus of increased comfort on those all-day rides.
The rigidity of the forks, front triangle and front wheel are the key to this bikes handling, it always feels planted and it goes where you point it without flexing, it gives great feedback from the trail. The PXC -2 wheel set are a good compromise between rigidity, strength and weight. The general finish of frame and wheels is above average and has so far managed to fend off chips from the shale tracks I've been riding in the last couple of months.
All the usual 29er positives are present and correct on the Anthem, it likes to roll and roll fast, roots and small bumps don't hinder progress plus the stability of this machine when charging downhill really is a boon to self-confidence. BB bracket height is good, I've certainly had fewer pedal strikes than on my 'Fisher. The climbing ability on this bike is outstanding, I find myself changing up a gear on hills that used to be a granny gear slog all the way.

Weaknesses:    Stand over heights on Anthem frames is a little high and if you are short of leg you need to watch it when putting feet down on uneven ground. I'm 30' leg and the medium frame gives me minimum acceptable clearance, the Small size frame isn't that much lower to make a difference unfortunately.
Cable rubs are inevitable on most machines but there is some clumsy routing on the Anthem, they supply a sheet of helicopter patches and you need to use them all. The headstock is swarthed in cables, the shock is rubbed both sides and the front brake line is too long by about 9', it waves around removing paint from the fork brace and occaisionally catches and moves the CTD lever. On a £2000 bike I also wasn't amused to find the end nipple of the front derrailer cable sticking out 3' -enough to flick my ankle bones when pedaling ('ah, so that's what that clicking noise is...')
The cheap looking plank that Fizik call a saddle is a token inclusion, I think Giant have anticipated buyers will want to use a saddle of their own choice but I'd rather start off with a cheap saddle that isn't painfull. Other little niggles are the strange squishy grips plus there's room for only one bottle in the front triangle. The otherwise decent wheel rims come with the uncelebrated and wretched presta valves. Hands up if you've bent a Presta valve! yep, these things are a solution looking for a problem, why invent a valve that is flimsier and takes more effort to pump air into? A schraeder option on mountain bikes would make sense, although it's easy enough to convert the rims.

Bottom Line:
The Anthem X1 29er isn't a cheap to buy but what you get is really good value. The bike is very capable, very well put together and features quality kit. It's a great deal of fun too and it will last me a few years for sure.

Submitted by batate a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2013

Strengths:    I picked up this bike second hand. The guy I bought it from was rail thin and the bike was in just about new condition... a 2012. I really want to like this bike. The geometry fits me, it climbs great, it's light, it corners great...

Weaknesses:

I cracked the frame, right on the weld joint where the top tube meets the seat tube. I am a 185 lb rider who runs pretty easy cross country trails (primarily Walnut Creek in Austin). I was running nothing but cross country trails. I had been hearing some creaking that I thought was in the bottom bracket, but I was unable to pinpoint the source. I laid the bike over (I didn't come out of my pedals) when I blew a climb, and a short time later, saw that the top tube came completely away from the seat tube. I started doing some research on the bike and have found that a whole bunch of people are having the same problem that I am. The difference is that they bought their bike new; me used.

Bottom Line:
It's pretty clear to me now that Giant is cutting it too fine with this frame. Google for Anthem Cracked Frame. Then look for Anthem Recall. Then look for Anthem Broken Frame Images. You'll find way too many examples of broken bikes. I'm a 47 year old biker who has never broken a frame.

I love everything about the geometry, the weight, the components (minus the seat and brakes). But you have to meet the bar for minimum reliability to play. And you need a company who will stand by obvious workmanship issues, regardless of who the customer is.

I have three pieces of advice for you.

1) Don't buy a top end Giant unless you plan to keep it for a long, long time. Your resale is really going to suffer because word is starting to get out that these bikes are fragile.

2) If you buy used, price the bike accordingly. The bikes are light because the aluminum frame is too thin and the welds need to be better than the Giant machinists can deliver. You will not get any support on a second hand warranty.

3) If you do get this bike, baby the frame! Don't ride bumps fast; don't do big dips fast even if they are smooth. And even if you do baby the bike, you might not be lucky.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek, Austin.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Austin second hand

Similar Products Used:   Trek,

Bike Setup:   Stock, but upgraded to 2013 wheelset and XT drivetrain.

Submitted by Craig30 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2013

Strengths:    Climbing ability
Speed
Value for money
SRAM componentry seems really solid

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket
Tires poor in slick conditions
Paint scuffs and scratches super easy
Some issues with the rear derailleur losing accuracy after bumpy decents
Noisy brakes

Bottom Line:
Holy moly, what a bike. The anthem is marketed as something of a x-country bike (with its 100mm of front and rear travel) but it is as much a trail bike as anything. I ride alongside guys on carbon trail bikes, hard tail "racing" bikes and everything in between and it as good as, if not better than, them all in most regards.

Climbing wise it's a goat. On my most recent trip out to the mountains, I tackled a seriously steep rock garden that has eluded me for the past 4 years and 3 bikes. I honestly cruised up it in the anthem almost effortlessly without touching the granny gear. I'm not even sure what the advantage is?! There's the 29" wheels of course, the geometry is fairly aggressive but comfortable, and the component set all works well. These things combined allow the bike to just roll up and over ascents and obstacles that would previously have had the old sphincter twitching in anticipation before you even turned the corner.

On the descents, she feels solid as a rock. The brakes can be noisy at times but are capable and the 100mm on the front is usually enough save for the real rocky or rooty lines where you may find your forearms take a bit of a beating. The overwhelming feel of the bike though is that if just wants to go faster the whole time. There is one circuit I do when when time is pressing which typically takes me 59 minutes. The first time out in the anthem I did it in 53; it's that fast.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the Anthem. For the price, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better x-country or even trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   Kananaskis Country

Purchased At:   Cycle Path, Calgary

Bike Setup:   Stock. 29er. Racing Ralph's. X5 front derailleur. X7 rear derailleur. Rox Shox Reba. Rox Shox RT

Submitted by Sean Stichter a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2013

Strengths:    Value, Geometry, Maestro Suspension Setup

Weaknesses:    Wheels

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike and a night-and-day upgrade over my old FS 26er. This bike flies and eats up roots and rocks like they are nothing. At 6'-4" tall my old XL 26er felt small and unbalanced. With the 29er platform everything feels just right. After extensive searching and consideration of comparable Santa Cruz, Specialized, and Trek bikes I settled on the Anthem as the bike that provides the most bang for your buck. The Maestro four point pivot rear suspension is much more advanced than that provided on similarly priced bikes, and provides superior dampening over other dual/single point suspensions.

Purchased At:   Uptown Cycles Charlo

Similar Products Used:   Santacrus Superlight 29er, Trek Superfly AL 29er, Specialized Camber 29er

Bike Setup:   X 2 Stock Setup

Submitted by Sean Stichter a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2013

Strengths:    Relatively Light Weight Full Suspension 29er well priced with solid componentry

Weaknesses:    Wheels

Purchased At:   Uptown Cycles Charlo

Similar Products Used:   Trek Superfly AL 29er, Specialized Camber 29er, Santa Cruz Superlight 29er

Bike Setup:   Stock

Thoughts on 2012 giant anthem x 29er 0

Hi everyone, I have a chance to purchase a 2012 anthem x 29er 0 for a very good price but I would like to have your input on how the bike rides ? Components wise, I think there's a lot of value for the price, maybe except for the wheels which I will probably change down the line. I currently ... Read More »

Anthem X 29er 4.0

Anyone own a Anthem X 29er 4.0? I'm considering buying one and wondering how you like it.Read More »

User manual(s) for 2012 Anthem X 29er 0?

Hi guys I've managed to find the user manual for the fork (RockShox SID 29 RCT3) online but not the shock (RockShox Monarch RT3). Anyone know where to find it? I can find the service manual but that's not what I'm after. Do Giant do a user manual for the bike at all? I was thinking it's possi ... Read More »

Giant Anthem X 29er 4.0 - $1,650 - should I buy?

Today, I found an Anthem X 29er 4.0 for $1,650. It weighed in at 29.75 pounds. Seems like a pretty good deal - but is that a bit heavy for an Anthem 29er? I thought I saw on this forum that some others were weighing in at 28 pounds and less but maybe those were the 2.0 and up. The guy also menti ... Read More »

Niner Jet 9 or Giant Anthem X 29ER 0

Hi, trying to decide between these two bikes, just looking for input. A new Niner Jet 9 or Giant Anthem X 29ER 0. Both are just over 3k and both will come with XO components. Rode both and really liked both. Thanks for any help or input.Read More »