Gary Fisher Rumblefish II 29er Full Suspension

4.28/5 (18 Reviews)

• Frame: 6011 hydroformed butted aluminum mainframe & stays, cold-forged dropouts, G2 29" Geometry, DRCV shock mount, E2, ABP
  • Wheels: Bontrager Rhythm Elite 29, Bontrager 29-3 tires
  • Componentry: Shimano XT Direct Mount front derailleur, Shimano XTR Shadow rear derailleur, Shimano XT shifters, Shimano XT M770 crank, Avid Elixir R hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox F120 FIT RLC 29, 120mm travel, G2 Geometry; Custom Fox Float RP23 with DRCV, 110mm travel, Boost Valve, 3-position Pro Pedal

Submitted by fotocellar a Weekend Warrior from Duluth, GA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2012

Strengths:    Not too heavy. 28.6 lbs when I firs received it. This weight is quite good given it's 29er and non-carbon. Climbs well, even with pro-pedal not engaged. I have no idea why some don't think it climbs well.

Weaknesses:    Quality control, pricy.

Bottom Line:
Good bike over all, but quality control is questionable. Freehub had to be replaced in 6 months, and rear shock started playing, even with all the screws are tight, 9 months since purchase. It's now sitting at the shop waiting for Trek to decide whether warranty is applicable.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am riding

Purchased At:   Atlanta Cycling

Bike Setup:   Replaced stock bar with a 31 inch bar, stock stem with a 60mm one, and seatpost with dropable post.

Submitted by Michel a Weekend Warrior from Harleysville, PA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2011

Strengths:    Downhill - this 29er inspires confidence and fun due to its speed and handling when descending.. Hooyah!
It gobbles up rough terrain with ease, awesome suspension and handling for a larger bike. I used to be afraid of log-overs but now they are fun!

Weaknesses:    Rear suspension - lockout feature on the Fox became inoperable after first few trail rides.

Bottom Line:
This bike does it all. I went from a Schwinn 26" bike with caliper brakes to the Rumblefish 2 so it felt like trading a YUGO for a BMW!! Love this bike, it handles any kind of terrain with ease. I feel so much more confident riding this bike!!

Favorite Trail:   Raystown Lake, PA

Purchased At:   Demo Model!

Bike Setup:   Added Shimano clip pedals but otherwise stock!

Submitted by Grrrrrrrr a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2011

Strengths:    Shifting seemed to snap compared to the relative lethargic drop/climb of the same exact shifter/derailleur types of my current bike that is 5 years older. It's much more stable and nimble than you'd expect on the trail than it is riding it around your LBS. Typical 29er strengths, although nothing else seems to stand out after only 30 miles of riding.

Weaknesses:    Pedal bob... Again, it has a newer version of pretty much the same suspension on my current bike but the pedal bob is HORRIBLE. The Bontrager 29-3's are easily the worst tires I have ever ridden on. Handlebars are not wide enough for the XL frame.

Bottom Line:
I am 6'6" 230+ and I demo'd the 21" for about 30 miles total. It's obviously a tad too short for me but I tried to leave out those inherent disadvantages as best I could. I am pretty much sold on the 29er but not sure about this particular bike. But, even with the handlebars being too short and the tires lacking a lot of cornering ability and not having the suspension dialed in correctly I thought the bike handled surprisingly well. At $3500+, I would cautiously recommend this bike.

Starting out, the suspension was not tuned very well for me. So, before I got it fine tuned I was literally bouncing over rocks that would have had me over the handlebars in my 26er. There were numerous other situations when I didn't feel confident I was not going to remain upright but afterward I thought "there's no way I could be that unstable in my 26er without crashing." After I got the suspension dialed in the descending was flawless and VERY fun. Climbing was always a breeze, even with the suspension out of whack.

Favorite Trail:   Demo'd this bike on the Emigrant Trail (north of Truckee)

Similar Products Used:   None. I have ridden other 29er on the trails but none have been even close to fitting me.

Bike Setup:   Likely all stock with some mid range Wellgo platforms.

Submitted by Shane Fisher a Cross Country Rider from Breckenridge CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2011

Strengths:    great all around bike. My first 9'r, and I love it. Just as good in corners, up hill, and flats as a 26. Better on the down hills.

Weaknesses:    I blew up the rear hub after 2.5 months use. No abuse, just normal trail use. Not ok. Trek is replacing it, It's just taking the forever to do it. I'm on three weeks now and still no hub.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike and I'd recomend you buy one if your in the market. I think the hub was a fluke. Just wish Trek would get on their poopy and get me a wheel already.

Purchased At:   Bushwhacker

Submitted by Tom Matthews a Cross Country Rider from El Paso, Texas, USA!

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2011

Strengths:    DESIGN! Makes its own lines, don't have to follow old trails. FAST! (except uphill, weight penalty) Nimble, smmoth, foregiving. Just like the first time, again. All smiles when I thought I had written mountain biking off.

Weaknesses:    Brake pads replaced in first week. ALSO, don't like the SRAM shifter that doesn't allow shifts up or down with fingers. Thumb only actuation.

Bottom Line:
The best bike I have ever ridden, bar none. I rode a TITUS that didn't work like this one. I look for stuff to hit wondering when it will show signs of weakness. This is what real mountain bikes should act like. I am riding again and enjoying techincal, fast trails, and even climbs like never before. It climbs like a mountain goat. Never lifts the front wheel. How do they do it?!

Favorite Trail:   Lechuguilla

Purchased At:   Crazy Cat Redd Road

Similar Products Used:   First 29er. Last bike was and EVO, FUEL, COVE, KLEIN.

Bike Setup:   Stock except brakes.

Submitted by BentJammer a Cross Country Rider from Blacksburg, VA USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2011

Strengths:    G2 design, suspension design, ABP design, solid frame. Handled really nice on tight technical s-track. Elixir brakes were very good.

Weaknesses:    Rider is too weak, but the bike still nailed some tuff switchbacks that are always a handful on my old Fuel 100.

Bottom Line:
Really nice back country bike, spent a day sweeping the race at Dragon's Back west of Roanoke, VA. This thing was impressive in the rocks, climbed switchbacks like a champ - longer wheelbase than I am used to - but it can flat get it on the downhills. Handled better than the Rockstar - no weird 29er feel. Also the suspension felt more dialed than the R-Star, just seemed faster through the rough stuff, more natural steering - almost telepathic. Suspension set up was great - did most of the climbing on the ridge with the Pro-Pedal off and it really got the job done.

With a few tweaks this would be a real race machine for those super rocky courses, otherwise perfect out of the box.

Favorite Trail:   Hole-In-The-Ground, Donner Pass, CA

Similar Products Used:   GF Super Fly 100, Titus Rockstar

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Woody13Fox a Weekend Warrior from Hagerstown, MD

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2011

Strengths:    Instantly makes you a more confident rider. The bike is money...it doesn't care what line you pick, it holds and rolls it! Drops? No problem. Off-camber climbs and descents? HA! Someone finally figured out how to build a REAL all-mountain bomber.

Weaknesses:    Some say heavy...well, what do you expect from an all-mountain 29'er? Duh! The Rumblefish II is within 1 or 2 pounds of similarly equipped 26'ers. If you want light, buy a HiFi or Superfly...me? I'd break lighter bikes in two in less than a week! If you ride on real trails with real rocks and roots and technical terrain, this is your machine. Weight weannies and cross-country geeks look elsewhere.

Bottom Line:
Technical terrain dream-machine perfect for fearless warriors and larger riders. One of the few bikes that lives up to the marketing hype. Of all the bikes I've ridden (and I am a shop mechanic, so I've ridden 'em all), only the Pivot 429 is even close. Buy it and enjoy!

Favorite Trail:   Frederick Watershed Network

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor Frederic

Similar Products Used:   HiFi Pro 26'er, Adept Comp, 429, Mach 5.

Bike Setup:   Stock except Spot Brand bashguard replacing big chainring and Stan's conversion.

Submitted by Al Sanders a Weekend Warrior from El Paso, TX

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2011

Strengths:    Drive train components, handling, suspension, cornering and climbing ability.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best bike that I'be ridden as an overall package. Although the Niner is a very plush machine on rocky descents, it pales in comparison when climbing, cornering and clean downhill trails. Having ridden 26" bikes for over 10 years, I did not feel any difference in handling although climbing was a little tougher on the legs and the lungs; nothing better conditioning won't fix. The drive train works well under pressure and the tubeless wheel conversion allows for better grip due to the lower tire pressure. This bike flies on descents and is extremely easy to maneuver, I hardly felt any difference even on tight switch backs.

Favorite Trail:   Franklin State Park

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stomp Jumper 29er, Specialized Epic 29er, Niner.

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT shifters, front derraileur; XTR rear derraileur, Elixir R Hydraulic disk brakes, tubeless wheel/tire conversion, Shimano pedals.

Submitted by Dre van de Meerendonk a Weekend Warrior from Aalten, Holland

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2011

Strengths:    Size, stability and strength. Combined with the Shimano XT it is a fine piece of equipment.

Weaknesses:    Rear suspension. Spring - Fox Float RP 23. Spring is too soft. Even in the firm position with 275 psi one still has a spring distance of nearly 2". Currently on my second spring and problem persists.

Bottom Line:
Loved the Hifi Pro. Do not like the rumblefish II only because of rear suspension. If Gary Fisher can solve this issue than it would be a fantastic bike.

Favorite Trail:   Montfortland

Purchased At:   John Theissen Tweewi

Similar Products Used:   Hifi Pro 29. Great bike with excellent spring

Bike Setup:   Fox front and rear suspension. XT deore and elixir brakes

Submitted by ScottXB a Cross Country Rider from Valencia CA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    Stability
Sure Footed
Efficiant Climber

Bottom Line:
I have been riding Mt Bikes off and on for almost 20 years. I come to riding trails on Mt. Bikes from a lifetime of enduro riding off road M/C's. So when it comes to trail riding, I learned most of what I know from the saddle of a motorcycle.

Living on the fringes of Los Angeles trail riding a M/C is not very practicle, so I have sold the Moto's and have been 100% Mt Bike for some time. I ride nothing but full suspension Mt. Bikes, but have never been entirely comfortable on them. When compared to a M/C they always feel so "sketchy" and unstable in any type of technical terrain. I have taken more than my fair share of spills that were due to instability compared to M/C's.

29'rs seemed an interesting alternative, but they started out as Hard Tails and took so long to really embrace a run at a full suspension all mountain execution with all the latest bells and whistles 26's had. When I saw the spec's on the Rumblefish I knew it was just what I was looking for, a top spec long travel All Mountain Bike, but shoed with 29's........... so I decided to pull the trigger

What a difference, it is another world for me. I was able to ride on familar terrain I have done many times on a 26" FS ........ Up the twisty single tracks of Tapia Cyn and then down the same. The thing just Flys (up and down) and does everything I was looking for it to do. It is so much more stable and it is providing the bridge between the stable feel of a offroad M/C and a light sketchy MTB that made me fear every obstacle a M/C would laugh at on the same trail.

The Fish is very stable and sure footed inspiring confidence launching into every trail situation........ and I don't notice any slowness in steering or any other compromise, it just did everything just in a much more sure footed way. It peddles great, it desends even better

So 5 Flamming Chilies for a fantastic Trail Bike that will allow me to not fear trail obstacles as in the past , but attack trails inspite of them......... So if you are looking for stability and confidence, the Rumblefish is a Great solution!

Favorite Trail:   Tapia Cyn Single Tracks

Similar Products Used:   1st 29'r Ive owned. Came off a Specialized FSR circa 1999

Bike Setup:   Using Box Stock Components (which are pretty good!)
Set Sag per Manual recomendations: 25% for Shock; 15% for Fork

Submitted by fireman020 a Cross Country Rider from Monticello, NY

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2010

Strengths:    29er, fox suspension

Weaknesses:    not really liking the avid brakes

Bottom Line:
After testing this bike a couple times this year and loved it so I ordered one. I just got it a few days ago already put some miles on it, definitely worth the wait.
So far with a couple tests and a few rides on my own bike it has rode flawlessly, barely felt the trail underneath. If you want a capable trail bike with the root and rock gobbling 29 inch wheel the Rumblefish is definitely the choice.

Favorite Trail:   camp orange

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Doctor

Similar Products Used:   Trek Remedy, fuel ,Scratch air,Mongoose Khyber super, Specialized Enduro SL expert

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Rumblefish 2

Submitted by bikerdirragon a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Strengths:    Where to begin... DRCV shock (takes some getting used to, but feels unbelievable), sick Fox fork, 15mm thru axle, Active Braking Pivot (amazing), descent, climb (with the right wheels and tires),etc...

Weaknesses:    The 2010 model comes with a Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheelset, which just isn't up to snuff. They were bending all over the place on my first ride, so I replaced them with the Rhythm Pro's, which was the best thing I could have done. Stiffened up the wheelset big time. Plus the stock tires aren't great. Considering the price, these things take the value down a bit.

Bottom Line:
The uphill is slower than it was on my Fisher HiFi Deluxe 26er, but that doesn't say much, as that was one of the lightest, fastest bikes uphill I've owned. The Rumblefish is heavier, but after upgrading the wheelset and tires, it climbs very well. And I'll take "very well" over excellent when the downhill is as good as it is on this bike. Simply put, it's a dream to drop elevation on this thing. The amount of control, and plush feel, the DRCV shock, the confidence-inspiring solidity of the downhill tracking, not to mention the 29er roll, all combine to make this the absolute BEST downhill XC bike I've ridden. I have a bigger smile on my face with every ride, and with every ride I feel myself improving.
The bottom line? This bike has made me a better rider. I can't ask for more than that.

Favorite Trail:   South Boundary, Taos NM

Purchased At:   Albuquerque Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign, Fisher HiFi Deluxe (26"), Yeti 575, Specialized Stumpjumper 29er

Bike Setup:   Got ride of the crap Shimano components... x0 shifters, x0 rear derailleur, Easton Monkeylite handlebars, Bontrager Rhythm Pro wheelset

Submitted by couteau a Weekend Warrior from conifer, co USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    bike is surprisingly nimble. it is big standing next to it, but doesn't feel big riding. well balanced fore/aft both in suspension & weight. good build. wheels are heavy but solid for pretty big hits (i'm not so gentle). climbs well, descends like a monster. with new tires (specialized captains) cornered great in loose decomposed granite sand. riding position (low COG) makes handling & stability very positive.

Weaknesses:    stock tires (even when run tubeless) are poor at best. the bike would be better served with a bash guard instead of a big ring. pretty heavy rig. seems like it could have more clearance (i bonk the pedals alot) but i think that is a result of the cockpit being low in the bike which improves handling. a little bit of wobble on slow climbs, but i am playing with the position to work this out.

Bottom Line:
i am a faster man on this bike. & i'll admit it, i'm having more fun. a longer travel trail bike might suit me, but overall this is the perfect bike. squishy enough to let it run, but still climbs fine--even though it's heavy it really delivers power to the trail on climbs, so short punchy tech sections are manageable. very playful bike, not like a BMX, but like a mountain bike.

(I got a screaming deal, so my value rating may be skewed high) but it still seems priced well compared to some.

oh & now mines a collectors item!

Favorite Trail:   it's a secret

Purchased At:   WRC

Similar Products Used:   GF Roscoe I had a hi-fi pro on order, but demoed the roscoe on a trip to moab and it was clear that the rumblefish would better suit me--more travel, burlier overall set-up.

Bike Setup:   stock. except new rubber--big difference. still playing around with position and shock pressure. i want to run the rear soft, but i do bottom out (& i am not a clydsedale).

Submitted by austinzippy a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2010

Strengths:    All the positives of a 29er, plus
Agile for a 29er, especially going uphill. The rear design is not exotic like a DW link/CVA, but it's very effective, virtually no bob.
Good climber, and great out of the saddle
Good value for the kit
Light (28lbs stock
Frame is solid
Minimal dive under braking from the Fox RLC Fit fork

Weaknesses:    Wheels not up to the challenge the rest of the bike is ready for.
Fox RLC Fit fork has a lot of stiction
Overall could be more plush, but I would not trade for responsiveness and feedback.
Jury still out on the 29-3 tires.
Seat and grips are terrible

Bottom Line:
My first 29er, turned out to be the most comfortable of the 29ers I evaluated on the same trail (Thumper in Austin). The trail is relatively technical, difficult climbs, tight turns, 1-2 foot drops, lots of rocks and trees to climb over, stability critical to keep you out of the hospital even at 5mph average speed. I found the RF to be the best combination of low mass, agility, and control/efficiency while climbing. Immediately much easier to get around this trail than on my Roscoe. I originally had dreams of a Rip9, but the RF turned out to be much easier to handle and a far better value for similar mass.

Favorite Trail:   Thumper

Purchased At:   Pedal Power, San Mar

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Roscoe II was previous bike, Chose from eval of Specialized Epic 29, Rip9, Sultan, Tallboy

Bike Setup:   Stock right now

Submitted by monkeyman a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2010

Strengths:    Great Descender, Probably good resale value as everyone seems to know that Gary Fisher invented 29'ers, the original mountainbike, the wheel, dirt, and even the sunlight you enjoy while riding one of his bikes. At least that's what the guy at the bike shop seemed to believe.

Weaknesses:    Trek Tax. The Bontrager Wheels are always in question - how do we know they're really "SLX - Quality" aside from Trek telling us so?

What's with the slack seat tube? As soon as I tried to ride up anything steep, I was so far behind the pedals, the bike almost became a recumbent. Even after sliding the seat forward on the rails, I was too far behind the crank and pedals.

Bottom Line:
Yet another waste of my Demo dollars.

If you ride down far more than you ride up, you'll probably love this bike. The thing is, it descends as well as anything else - not better. Turning is sluggish, too.

The Rocky Mtn 29er I rode the day before I took the Rumblefish out descended this well, but it went uphill far more easily, turned tighter, and weighed less. And cost the same.

I haven't yet decided what to buy, but I've eliminated this one immediately. I feel I should warn against the Rumblefish. It's too expensive to climb so poorly.

Favorite Trail:   MRT

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Hi-fi 29, Pivot Mach 429, Kona hei-hei 29, Rocky Mountain Altitude 29, Santa Cruz Tallboy.

Bike Setup:   Stock Demo

Rumblefish II 29er: Need new Front Rim

All, Two years of desert riding has destroyed my front rim beyond true-ing repair. What do you recommend for a new wheel-set? I'm leaning towards the Stan ZTR Flow 29 as I want to stay around $500 for the set. Thanks!Read More »

PAID SPAM: 2011 Trek Rumblefish II

I have a great bike I am looking to get ride of: [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=70668&cat=]**2011 21" Trek/ Fisher Collection Rumblefish II ** - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

Broken Gary Fisher Rumblefish II frame.

I have a 2010 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II and I broke my swing arm today. The frame has a lifetime warranty, so I'm not worried about getting it replaced. My questions 1. Will Trek replace just the swing arm or the whole frame? 2. Does anyone know if the swing arm on the 2012 Rumblefish is the ... Read More »

Rumblefish II

Anyone happen to have a weight on a Rumblefish II, size Large?Read More »

Rumblefish II hows it climb.

Going back and forth between this bike and a Tallboy. I liked the Rumblefish it's got a slacker HTA, looks like more of a trail/all mountain bike, and the price is better. I've heard some complaints about how it climbs, and problems with pedal efficiency. Any info would help. Thanks.Read More »